Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2010, 05:34 PM   #151
JR356
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,409
The original version of the Revit Solar gloves.
The fingertips wore thru in only one day of street riding.
I shudder with the thought of the lack of protection they
would have given me if I'd gone down!!

To their credit,they sent me a new pair of different style mesh gloves that are holding up so far.

Read about the original(my)version Solar gloves here:
http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/rev-i...mer-gloves.htm

JR356
JR356 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 07:09 PM   #152
sleepychas
Banned

Oddometer: 1,506
2005 porsche 911

had it for 8 months- broken for 6 months and at clueless porsche dealer

The dealer was a total shitbag.

i get pissed thinking about it
sleepychas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 06:56 AM   #153
Be Rad The Fish
Movin' Out.

Oddometer: 70
Pissed 2002 Ford Explorer

I pride myself on seeing that proper preventative maintenance gets done.

Even though it was always garaged and always serviced properly and on time, never abused but all of that care didn't matter:

Exhaust manifold, two broken studs and stripped threads which had to be cut off with a torch!

Parking brake shoe linings came apart.

Both rear wheel bearings kaputt.

Left drive shaft and knuckles replaced.

Rear differential - Fried. Complete rebuild with new gears required.

Transfer case output shaft was replaced.

$5479.27 please.

I asked if there is anything I'm doing or not doing to prevent these things, I tow a relatively light trailer sometimes etc. etc. The answer was pretty much no, these failures would've happened in any case. I looked up the '02 Explorer's track record on my Consumer Reports account, it's not good. Until I see years of consistent reliability, no more Fords!

Motorcycle stuff: First gear cold weather textile riding gloves: Busted at almost every seam.

The HD in my sig line: Numerous problems with stalling and erratic engine behavior, it's all good now though.

Past: '81 Kawasaki 440LTD, '00 Suzuki Bandit 1200S, '00 Harley Davidson FLHTCI, '03 Harley Davidson FLHRCI, 2007 KLR 650, 2008 BMW GS ADV, 2011 Ducati Multistrada S Touring.
Be Rad The Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 01:26 AM   #154
PalePhase
Humour Noir

Oddometer: 817
Pissed Anything From Tour Master

Tour Master Transition jacket. The zippers never missed an opportunity to jam, and eventually tore right off the jacket. Before that, did a nice job of letting the rain through and conducting warmth away without the fuss and bother of actual ventilation. Actually, that last requires some clarification: The ventilation got very slightly better with all the seam stitching unraveling and the shell developing holes with every ride, despite my not having gone down with it. It would have offered all abrasion protection of a wet Kleenex in a fall.

Tour Master Venture overpants. Same lack of durability as the Transition jacket, but with fasteners that refused to work.

Tour Master (Cortech?) Air Overpants. Just as craptastic as the other two items, and also equipped with Tour Master's self-unraveling technology as well as the same useless fasteners that the Venture overpants used. My wife re-engineered the closure system to turn it into a semi-wearable item, but I threw it out with the other TM crap and won't be buying any more.

1995 Honda VF750CD
2002 Honda VFR800
PalePhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 06:37 AM   #155
Butters
. . . . . .

Oddometer: 2,303
Be Rad The Fish - Were you the guy I sold my 02 Explorer to? If so, I guess I should apologize.

I had many of the same failures you did (along with the infamous tailgate crack). It never left me stranded, but I was fixing little things all the time.

Sold it and bought a '95 Land Cruiser with 50K more miles. No regrets.
Old 10-10-2010, 07:19 AM   #156
baloneyskin daddy
bikaholic

Oddometer: 1,905
Bought an old Toro snowblower at a yard sale, it was immaculate for its age,fired right up and all functions worked flawlessly......in warm weather! However ,when actually blowing snow it would suck small amounts of snow into the cooling shroud and after 5 minutes the gov. would freeze up and it would start chugging black smoke and shut down. I'd drag it back into the garage ,clean the plug, and try again. After an hour of this bullshit I finally realized cleaning the plug was'nt doing anything,but the time it took to do it allowed the snow in the housing to melt enough to free up the gov. After about 3-4 failed attempts to block the snow from entering the area and failing, I finally took a 5lb hammer and drove the sparkplug thru the top of the engine. problem solved.
baloneyskin daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 07:51 AM   #157
Norhasken
Tryin' to find my way

Oddometer: 18,228
Anything Joe Rocket has been a waste of money. Mesh, Comet, and pants for both. Uncomfortable, too expensive for the features, not very well made.
Old 10-10-2010, 05:25 PM   #158
rebake
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,002
My kid just got me a pair of alter ego pants for 8 dollars at a thrift shop.Sounds like maybe he overpaid? We'll see. Ed
rebake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 05:29 PM   #159
Norhasken
Tryin' to find my way

Oddometer: 18,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebake
My kid just got me a pair of alter ego pants for 8 dollars at a thrift shop.Sounds like maybe he overpaid? We'll see. Ed
YMMV Just don't go down.

Your kid might have paid $8 too much.
Old 10-10-2010, 05:50 PM   #160
facetjoint
TONKA

Oddometer: 5,607
Pure P.o.s. Junk

Hands down the biggest waste of my money besides the 3 new G.M. vehicles I was dumb enough to buy in this life time. Is the HAYWARD automatic swimming pool vac. cleaner I purchased this past spring. It it like my brother. It just doesn't fucking work. I find it impossible to believe that a Company based in my home state of Iowa where quality should still mean something could put their name on this piece of garbage. For the past 15 years of being a pool owner I have always purchased Hayward pool chemicals and chlorine to support the boys back home. Not anymore. I live in Phx. AZ. so it has to work year around everyday. And no I am not some fat cat. We live in the low rent district also called the barrio.

LLIB
facetjoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 06:58 AM   #161
baloneyskin daddy
bikaholic

Oddometer: 1,905
Funny how one persons opinion can be so opposite of anothers. On the Nolan helmets, I've been using the flip ups for 8 yrs, ever since I started wearing glasses, and absolutely swear by them, as far as the sun visor scratching the visor, impossible as there are small nibs of plastic which kaap the two separated so this can't happen , at least in normal use but I guess if the unit is stuffed into a small compartment or manhandled it could occur.I also have a Joe Roc ket Ballistic coat that has served me very well for the money but the zippers on the pants are worthless.
baloneyskin daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 09:25 AM   #162
Callahan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,174
Quote:
Originally Posted by showkey
anything and everything from Harbor Freight it's all crap
I looked and looked and again bought somewhere else.

I second this, that HF is not that good.

Callahan screwed with this post 10-12-2010 at 10:13 AM
Callahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 10:07 AM   #163
MacNoob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,505
A lot of Joe Rocket hatin' going on here. Makes me feel bad about my Ballistic 7.0 jacket I bought for next to nothing because it was available in my size. After a few months of light use I lost one dome snap already and the main zipper is a PITA to operate.
MacNoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 01:47 PM   #164
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 12,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callahan
I looked and looked and again bought somewhere else.

I second this, that HF is not that good.

Ive got quite a bit of stuff from HF that I think works well. Motorcycle Table lift, dial gauge, stubby ratchets, pliers, seal and bearing drivers, slide hammer, dial gauge mount.... The list goes on and on for me.

You can be Han Solo, and I can be another Han Solo...
Boon Booni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 07:13 PM   #165
swingset
Got the knack.

Oddometer: 10,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boon Booni
Ive got quite a bit of stuff from HF that I think works well. Motorcycle Table lift, dial gauge, stubby ratchets, pliers, seal and bearing drivers, slide hammer, dial gauge mount.... The list goes on and on for me.
Yup, my tool box has Snapon, Craftsman, Matco and some HF tools...they've mostly worked just fine. Some things are obvious, some surprise you, but I've found it worth the gamble for a light-use specialty tool or set of something I don't mind losing. They have their place.

I'm struggling to think of things I've bought that really let me down, I think about the worst as far as equipment goes has been power washers, been through 3 or 4 and they've all failed way too soon, and these ranged from a $100 Karcher electric to a $700 Honda-powered unit with a triplex ceramic pump. I'm done throwing money at them, cheaper to rent them and pay for the car-wash occasionally.

swingset is offline   Reply With Quote