urbanXJ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,783
BUILT track boots = total crap
Old 01-17-2012, 02:31 PM   #257
freeflow
get in or go in

Oddometer: 15,060
1996 Dodge RAM 1500. look, I was a Toyota guy for years...was even dating the dealer's daughter for a spell and was buddies with her brother. but I got the "buy american" guilt trip and took the shaft on that POS truck. I spent more fixing that POS in the 3 years I had it than I did EVER on toyotas. I mean really, 2 trannys and a front end in under 90,000 miles?...WTF?

Joe rocket, well I went thru a few pairs of their alter ego pants. the first pair was ok...the second, I needed to take it to my own sewing machine. I liked the design...

I have enough failures of shit I bought...and I've scuttled enough of it too...thank god for the net and reviews to slam products now...
freeflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 09:40 PM   #258
BMWf800gs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbhawley View Post
I nearly concur. Take a look at 90% of all Craftsman hand tools (wenches, screwdrivers, sockets, pliers, etc) they are now made in China. WTF Sears...this is why we bought Craftsman tools in the first place. They cost 1/2 of Snap-On, were made in the USA and had a lifetime warranty. I have two roll cabinets full of Craftsman tools, but, hells bells, I'd just as well get HF or Kobalt...they are too made in China and have a lifetime warranty.
Sears..you fucked yourself on this one.
I agree.
maybe up until the mid 1980's or so Sears treated the employees and customers in a positive manner and it was a good symbiotic relationship for all.
Now they rip everybody off!
The tools are made in our enemies country.
I was talking with a guy the other day and he was telling me about how China had caused A LOT of problems with our security and computers!
Suzuki DRZ 400s, KTM 300XC, BMW f800gs -when it is not broke down,waiting for BMW to fix it
BMWf800gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 06:49 AM   #259
Tall Man
Freelancer

Oddometer: 977
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWf800gs View Post
I agree.
maybe up until the mid 1980's or so Sears treated the employees and customers in a positive manner and it was a good symbiotic relationship for all.
I've bolded what I think is a salient point. It's uber-rare for me to see employees mistreated, or talked down to (no matter how modestly) when they are out on the floor. I've seen it happen at Sears, though, and on several occasions. I can't recall any behavior that would have earned the employee such treatment, and besides, shouldn't a dressing-down, when genuinely necessary, occur well away from the customer? Does Sears' mgmt training program require its graduates to be jerks?

Anyway, the foregoing doesn't matter to me anymore. I stopped shopping at Sears, period, when the local store began to broadcast in-store ads and announcements in Spanish. For a customer base that isn't.
Tall Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 01:23 AM   #260
Pcfly
Dude?! Seriously??

Oddometer: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeflow View Post
1996 Dodge RAM 1500. look, I was a Toyota guy for years...was even dating the dealer's daughter for a spell and was buddies with her brother. but I got the "buy american" guilt trip and took the shaft on that POS truck. I spent more fixing that POS in the 3 years I had it than I did EVER on toyotas. I mean really, 2 trannys and a front end in under 90,000 miles?...WTF?
I was about to make this mistake with a Jeep Wrangler vs FJ Cruiser..... I'm still waiting, swaying back and forth.

This thread is awesome........
Pcfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 05:39 AM   #261
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 12,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbhawley View Post

Sunblocker shade stripe - or whatever the hell its called. You know the little strip of tinted material that sticks to the inside of the helmet visor...supposed to keep the sun outta your eyes...Another POS. Would not stick. I ripped it out and put two strips of black (electrical) tape on the outside of the visor. Cost maybe 1/2 cent. Works like a charm and is easily replaceable. This particular tape has been on my visor for two years in all types of weather (rain, hail, etc, etc) and still sticks. Wanna get it off...pull and get a dab of goo-gone or the like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Kurt View Post
Yep, I had one put on at a rally for $15. Took it off after riding 10 miles and put it in a trash can. I could have spent that money on beer.

I've had a sun blocker strip on all my helmets for the last 10 years or so. Never had a problem with them. Even removed them and reinstalled on new visors. I did have to remove it for one of my helmets, and trim it so that the strip wouldn't come down too far into my field of vision.

Was actually bummed because my newest helmet has a pinlock so I can't use the strip.

You did install it wet and wait over night for it to dry didn't you

You can be Han Solo, and I can be another Han Solo...

Boon Booni screwed with this post 01-21-2012 at 07:24 AM
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 12:23 PM   #262
BMW Kurt
Bluesman

Oddometer: 9,861
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boon Booni View Post
You did install it wet and wait over night for it to dry didn't you
The guy that sold them at the rally installed mine. Somebody here said he tried to put it on his forehead. The vendor put mine on the visor. Maybe he installed it wrong. Anyway I got a HJC Symax with the build in sunglasses. Works for me.
Old 01-21-2012, 12:48 PM   #263
Erronous Monk
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Zero Value

The absolute worst thing I purchased for my bike was/is the TomTom Rider II GPS. It cannot be seen in the sun, the electrical contacts do not make because the whole shoe assembly is made from plastic that will not maintain the needed tolerances. The software to make routes and connect to the computer NEVER did the features advertised. The warranty documents states that employees do not have to tell the truth. And you paid for it too bad. I will never purchase another TomTom product and have stopped as many sales as I can. Including taking customers out of a store to show them the unit. It could be marketed as a GPS for the blind.

Expensive junk.

:-)
Old 01-21-2012, 01:17 PM   #264
trc.rhubarb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,854
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erronous Monk View Post
The absolute worst thing I purchased for my bike was/is the TomTom Rider II GPS. It cannot be seen in the sun, the electrical contacts do not make because the whole shoe assembly is made from plastic that will not maintain the needed tolerances. The software to make routes and connect to the computer NEVER did the features advertised. The warranty documents states that employees do not have to tell the truth. And you paid for it too bad. I will never purchase another TomTom product and have stopped as many sales as I can. Including taking customers out of a store to show them the unit. It could be marketed as a GPS for the blind.

Expensive junk.

:-)
I have both the rider 2 and a zumo 550 (zumo came with a used bike)
They both have good and bad. No issues like you have had with the tomtom but i have had the base blow a fuse that isn't user replacable. $110 from the UK to replace since they don't sell it here anymore. Even TomTom wont do it. Their customer service sucks and the lack of using GPX format also sucks. I don't get rid of it because I still like it more than the zumo...
1975 BMW R90/6
Follow me here
trc.rhubarb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 01:57 PM   #265
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by trc.rhubarb View Post
I have both the rider 2 and a zumo 550 (zumo came with a used bike)
They both have good and bad. No issues like you have had with the tomtom but i have had the base blow a fuse that isn't user replacable. $110 from the UK to replace since they don't sell it here anymore. Even TomTom wont do it. Their customer service sucks and the lack of using GPX format also sucks. I don't get rid of it because I still like it more than the zumo...
That just shows you how shite Garmin units are....I could not WAIT to get rid off my 2610 and I have given up trying to upload routes to my Nuvi 500 - there is simply no point as it just totally and utterly fooks them up.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 02:16 PM   #266
Disco Stu
I'm Barry F'n Gibb!!

Oddometer: 5,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgeliot View Post
Yeah isn't that a shame. Back when I was a kid, HP was the gold standard for anything they made. Anyone here remember the HP-35 and HP-45 calculators?
I still have a 21S (statistics) model that I use all the time. It's only 22 years old.
Disco Stu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 02:41 PM   #267
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
That just shows you how shite Garmin units are....I could not WAIT to get rid off my 2610 and I have given up trying to upload routes to my Nuvi 500 - there is simply no point as it just totally and utterly fooks them up.
And yet, when you get away from $$$$ professional units, Garmin and TomTom are the cream of the crop. Of the mainstream manufacturers, Magellan have been the most crap for me. I bought one six years ago (forget the model) and returned it when I found that not only were the European maps not available but the SD card slot you would use to install them wasn't active, so you couldn't have installed them anyway. One of their support engineers eventually told me outright that the maps would never be available and they had no interest in supporting any model once it hit the store shelves because they were too busy working on the next model (playing catch up with Garmin.)

I have an old TomTom that has been dropped several times, soaked several times and dragged all over the world but just keeps on working. It is incredibly well made around a cast aluminum chassis, unlike newer models. I have hacked the software (linux) to add features and it still does all I need it to do. A friend with a TT Rider had the reported problem with the plastic mount wearing and the power contacts no longer mating, making it useless on the bike.

I own four Garmin 2610s, all super-cheap eBay purchases. Two of them work fine and the other two were DOA and could not be repaired. At ten years old, Garmin has not supported them for a number of years. They are large, heavy bricks and occasionally play up in very cold weather. Also the screens are prone to condensation with sudden changes in temp and humidity but they otherwise do what they were intended to do very well.
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:04 AM   #268
fosters2
It is what it is

Oddometer: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by klingklang View Post
just did: the Raleri PCShade. a photochromatic fog insert from Raleri.com

beside that, they don't answer emails.
+1 for Raleri PCShade. Total crap. Don't waste your money.
IBA#42277

SOLD - K1600GTL, S1000RR, R1200GSA, K1300GT, R1100, K75
http://www.scfoster.com
fosters2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:13 AM   #269
Xeraux
Archvillain

Oddometer: 30,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgeliot View Post
Yeah isn't that a shame. Back when I was a kid, HP was the gold standard for anything they made. Anyone here remember the HP-35 and HP-45 calculators?

I learned on an HP-35 and still have it lying around somewhere.

The battery pack went bad a few years ago, but it still works fine with the adapter plugged in.

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.
Xeraux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:35 AM   #270
eepeqez
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,068
A car alarm with remote pager from Tandy (Radio Shack's Australian business name) in about 1982.

The thing was unbelievably crude and primitive, with a range of about 20 feet on a good day, but I learnt a lesson about Tandy quality.
eepeqez is offline   Reply With Quote