MY BUILD http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=938440
NortwestRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:30 PM   #302
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,781
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgeliot View Post
When I bought my well-used 89 Transalp it had a Corbin on it, already well used. I find myself more comfortable on it than in my car. I've done several 250-mile days and one 500+ day and my butt was pretty much OK. Admittedly that last day was totally miserable because of cold rain, so I'm not sure I noticed my butt :-)
Ah! Finally a truth speaker,any decently broken in Corbin is good for an 800 mile day or more.
These guys that bitch about em are pussies! Fair weather play riders!
Old 08-07-2012, 08:59 PM   #303
corndog67
Banned

Oddometer: 1,281
A GS500E was the biggest piece of shit I ever bought. But someone gave me a Ninja 250, and it was a piece of shit too, but I didn't buy it. I gave it to someone else. And now, it appears to be a cult bike.
corndog67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 06:29 AM   #304
eepeqez
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
2600cc 4 cylinder,pinged readily on premium,12 to 15 mpg from a 4 cylinder? With not much power.
Cylinder head cracked,from valve seats to plug holes at 65000 miles.
They had a stack of cracked heads out back from the same type engine.
That motor was called an Astron and was used in the incredibly successful (sales-wise) Chrysler/Mitsubishi Sigma here from about 1979 to 1988. They were pretty much the first 4 cylinder car to challenge the dominance of the six cylinder Holden Kingswood, Ford Falcon amd Chrysler Valiant here.

They also became notorious for failed head gaskets and cracked heads and of the 3 or 4 that I knew well, all eventually were scrapped for that issue. One had been in the family since new and had two replacements heads under warranty in the early 1980s, finally turning its toes up in about 1998.

I've only ever seen one Sigma in North America, badged as a Dodge (Colt wagon?), in Vancouver BC in 1997. I guess they're all well and truly gone by now.
eepeqez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 09:29 AM   #305
kitesurfer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,578
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
Ah! Finally a truth speaker,any decently broken in Corbin is good for an 800 mile day or more.
These guys that bitch about em are pussies! Fair weather play riders!
i had a holeshot/corbin on my bandit. i rode that seat for 15.5 hours straight. only got out of the seat once to pee. i sat on the seat when refueling. the only problem was my legs...just couldn't stretch them out for relief. my new corbin came in this morning for my new 650 vstrom. i installed highway bars on my vstrom on monday :)
Old 08-08-2012, 04:25 PM   #306
max384
Disgruntled Student

Oddometer: 3,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by NortwestRider View Post
Teiz 1 peice suit,1st addition.
AWFULL !!!,lost my ass on it !!.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Could you expand on this a bit more? I just bought a Teiz Lombard suit. I got it for a steal on eBay. I'm not sure what version it is (still waiting for it to arrive)... But if it turns out to be junk, no big deal because I'm not out much. Though it would be nice to hear any negatives about it before I trust my skin in it.

Newfoundland 2012

James Bay 2014
max384 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 09:22 PM   #307
makinwaves
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,883
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwringer View Post
I've learned the hard way that any motorcycle anything advertised as waterproof is not.

There just ain't no such thing. Boots, pants, jackets, gloves, luggage -- if it's not material you could make an inner tube or a kiddie pool out of, it WILL leak.

The very best you can do is delay the onset of soaked scrotum for about 15-20 minutes.
Not quite...my almost 6 year old Halvarssons Safety jacket has never leaked a drop. I ride year round in the Pacific Northwet.

To be fair though, most of my riding is commuting for no more than 45minutes at a time so perhaps longer times would see more breakthrough. Weekend / longer rides are generally selected during at least somewhat decent weather. But I've also been in some sustained torrential downpours where all of my other "waterproof" gear has leaked. Just never the jacket.
makinwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 01:58 AM   #308
jtw000
Survivor

Oddometer: 548
Worst bike... Aprillia Pegaso 660. Absolute piece of crap. Disintegrated around me, would never run because the build quality was so appalling that it fell apart.

Worst boots... TCX. Wore them on a big trip and both zips failed, heels peeled off and generally fell apart. Also they leak.

Worst ever... Cambodian HID headlight units, they upset my bike computer and somehow melted my light housing. In fact never buy anything from Cambodia.
jtw000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 05:54 PM   #309
lukasteam
Life is beautiful !!!

Oddometer: 447
AFX FX-50 helmet. What a piece of junk. Molded around perfectly round head , like somebody took a soccer ball and made a helmet to fit it. Pressure points everywhere around the head , never broke in either , liner is so thin basically your head is in a styrofoam box. And it leaks like crazy during the rain.Never again I will buy a cheap helmet it was like a torture device the whole 2 week trip...
lukasteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 05:15 AM   #310
kitesurfer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,578
Tiez, one piece "Lombard"...i had one and all the zippers broke. Tiez replaced under warantty with version 2, if i remember correctly. the suit is heavy, but the material appears to be bomb proof. it also appears to be waterproof from the little wet riding i did in it. The suit sucks for riding a Goldwing and it needs airflow to keep you cooled down. it has toons of zippers for ventillation. i would not buy another 'one piece' because of the inconviences, but i would buy a Tiez 2 piece if the price was right.

kitesurfer screwed with this post 08-13-2012 at 05:15 AM Reason: sp
kitesurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 05:30 AM   #311
beemerphile
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,688
An AirHawk seat cushion. Unhappily, I bought the better made (more expensive) one instead of the cheaper AirHawk2 model. I paid $70 more for the longer lasting one and could only bear it for a couple of rides. The cheap one would have lasted that long. I was trying to find something to get me through on a bad seat until I could get an appointment with Russell to re-make it into a real seat.
beemerphile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 08:42 AM   #312
Goldburg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerphile View Post
An AirHawk seat cushion. Unhappily, I bought the better made (more expensive) one instead of the cheaper AirHawk2 model. I paid $70 more for the longer lasting one and could only bear it for a couple of rides. The cheap one would have lasted that long. I was trying to find something to get me through on a bad seat until I could get an appointment with Russell to re-make it into a real seat.
Airhawk=good...
To each his own, but I'd disagree with you. I've seen people that can't believe how little air they should have in them, though. To much air=unhappy butt.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:46 AM   #313
beemerphile
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldburg View Post
Airhawk=good...
To each his own, but I'd disagree with you. I've seen people that can't believe how little air they should have in them, though. To much air=unhappy butt.
Thanks for the tip. I did not try minimum air. I guess I fell into the more is good trap.
beemerphile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:31 AM   #314
OlyRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,237
Airhawk

*Minimun Air* is correct, sir!!

I started with very little, and now have even less...as in practically none. It "fills the voids" created by my bony butt quite well, and now works great. I agree that the most commo mistake is to put too much air in them. It's amazing how far a small amount will suffice. I did what most others have done....ride, reduce air, ride some more, reduce air again, repeat.

Airhawks are great!!
Old 08-13-2012, 10:35 AM   #315
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 7,036
Airhawk part 2

Yep. If you even remotely feel like you're floating you have too much air in it. Oh, and don't leave it on your bike overnight if snow showers are expected. It'll glue itself to the seat
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote