Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2013, 01:16 PM   #391
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by zimm View Post
But you're saying the user has to specifically download the map right? I'm just pointing out that if the typical rider who plops their smartphone in a holder realizes they lose nav when the network goes away.
Correct but....offline maps do exist. Bad P&P if you don't download the maps before you leave and you know what that leads to right ? PPP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boon Booni View Post
At least with Google, routing/navigation is still server based. You go off the grid, you've got your maps, but no point to point navigation.
Correct but....there are other offline alternatives that do offline navigation.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:53 PM   #392
Mr_Gone
Innocent Culprit

Oddometer: 3,565
Quote:
Something to think about: Phone GPS won't work when you loose a signal out in the country. While a dedicated GPS device has the maps built in, not relying on a network.
I ride an FJR. I ain't going off-road. I'm not even sure if that's legal!!!

You do make a great point. I'll probably give the GPS to my parents anyway, because they'll use it. If I need it, I can always borrow it.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:14 PM   #393
el queso
toda su base

Oddometer: 600
Pro-Lift T-2151 1500 pound motorcycle jack. It was given to me so technically I didn't buy it, but what a POS. I don't know what the Chinese use for seals, but it isn't compatible with jack oil. After a year of f%$#ing with it I rolled it out to the curb and closed the garage door behind me. Some poor Mexican junk collector is probably cursed with it...
el queso is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:00 PM   #394
anonny
What could go wrong?

Oddometer: 5,261
Oxford heated grips, lasted about a month before the controlled smoked.

71- 450 Honda CL re & re

Just another pathetic sheep following the herd

anonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:21 PM   #395
MitchG
Iron Collector

Oddometer: 399
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonny View Post
Say it ain't so, I just got a set in the mail today.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:28 PM   #396
FatBob
The name says it all

Oddometer: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonny View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchG View Post
Say it ain't so, I just got a set in the mail today.
I've had a set for over two years, no problems.

Ride Safe, Ride Often
FatBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:54 AM   #397
tgeliot
Topher

Oddometer: 1,337
Quote:
Something to think about: Phone GPS won't work when you loose a signal out in the country. While a dedicated GPS device has the maps built in, not relying on a network.
Depends on what you mean by "work". The phone GPS will be able to determine its coordinates, but at least mine needs a data connection to download anything but the crudest of maps, which it does on the fly as I move around -- or fails to do. My Garmin has all its maps on it at all times.
1) Coroner's report is to read "Death by misadventure."
2) Dixieland jazz band at my funeral.
tgeliot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:20 AM   #398
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgeliot View Post
Depends on what you mean by "work". The phone GPS will be able to determine its coordinates, but at least mine needs a data connection to download anything but the crudest of maps, which it does on the fly as I move around -- or fails to do. My Garmin has all its maps on it at all times.
If you phone is Android, you can get offline maps (including Google). Not sure about iPhones but I though it was the same for those phones also.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:55 AM   #399
Terry Bugera
TerryB

Oddometer: 90
Mr-Gone said "Technically the Garmin isn't the "worst" but it's sadly proven to be the most useless"

I've had a Garmin 176 for 10 years, thru snow sleet rain - from freezing to 100 + F for 200,000 miles. It has worked without one single glitch, not a 1. Where else do you get that in an electronic device that has gone through those conditions.

A few things I don't have to deal with when I use my 176:

Don't have to take off your winter gloves to control the Garmin on the fly and I do that all the time
Don't need special protective waterproofing on the Garmin
I leave my Garmin on the bike by day (10 years still have it! )- would never do that with my iPhone
Garmin has a much bigger screen - I'm over 55 - I need it
When I started touring on the Super Duke - 1st thing I did was hard wire the gps harness

Having said all that, when I am travelling ( and cel is roaming) I do pay up and use my iPhone for more precise direction. Probably and average of a few times per week on when I'm on a bike trip.

I will probably always have a dedicated GPS, at least until I can figure how to control an iPad mini thru my tank bag map pocket.

No don't own Garmin stock either
Old 01-31-2013, 07:56 AM   #400
Mr_Gone
Innocent Culprit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Bugera View Post
Mr-Gone said "Technically the Garmin isn't the "worst" but it's sadly proven to be the most useless"

I've had a Garmin 176 for 10 years, thru snow sleet rain - from freezing to 100 + F for 200,000 miles. It has worked without one single glitch, not a 1. Where else do you get that in an electronic device that has gone through those conditions.

A few things I don't have to deal with when I use my 176:

Don't have to take off your winter gloves to control the Garmin on the fly and I do that all the time
Don't need special protective waterproofing on the Garmin
I leave my Garmin on the bike by day (10 years still have it! )- would never do that with my iPhone
Garmin has a much bigger screen - I'm over 55 - I need it
When I started touring on the Super Duke - 1st thing I did was hard wire the gps harness

Having said all that, when I am travelling ( and cel is roaming) I do pay up and use my iPhone for more precise direction. Probably and average of a few times per week on when I'm on a bike trip.

I will probably always have a dedicated GPS, at least until I can figure how to control an iPad mini thru my tank bag map pocket.

No don't own Garmin stock either
Sorry, Terry, I should have said "useless for me." That's my bad. I actually love my Garmin. It's easy to use and the voice commands are from some super-sexy British lady, and I'd do whatever she tells me to do!!!

I just don't have much use for it on my bike, as my Android phone works brilliantly. That's just me, though. YMMV. I love the fact that I can wear earbuds, listen to music, and get turn-by-turn directions.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:27 AM   #401
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 12,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Gone View Post
Sorry, Terry, I should have said "useless for me." That's my bad. I actually love my Garmin. It's easy to use and the voice commands are from some super-sexy British lady, and I'd do whatever she tells me to do!!!

I just don't have much use for it on my bike, as my Android phone works brilliantly. That's just me, though. YMMV. I love the fact that I can wear earbuds, listen to music, and get turn-by-turn directions.
I agree with you up to a point. I don't ever think about putting the GPS in the car anymore when going some place.

But on the bike, I much prefer my 478 to my phone. Screen size, routing ability, custom routing, track recording, usable with gloves, pre-calc'd routes from the computer, Volt Meter, configurable data fields, weather proof, battery life and quite a bit more is what keeps me coming back to my Garmin. Probably not for everyone, and definitely doesn't get used in the car, but on the bike the phone stays in my pocket.

You can be Han Solo, and I can be another Han Solo...
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:33 AM   #402
Terry Bugera
TerryB

Oddometer: 90
Mr. G - Nothing to be sorry about
I was just stating my personal experience with the device in question and you yours.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:13 AM   #403
Offcamber
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,471
I tried the smartphone GPS thing and it didn't work for me....to hard to see while riding....phone runs hot due to all the processing. You need to have it plugged in or the battery lasts about an hour. If you don't have the maps already installed then the data service issues comes in and then you will be using a lot of your data plan assuming its not unlimited.

I find the dedicated GPS is much better at navigating than the phone...Smartphone nav apps are great in a pinch but not for long trips.

Regardless of which you use.....carry a paper map and a compass

Worst item I have bought well it was a gift was a Xena wheel lock with alarm....the alarm would go off all the time for no reason. Even sitting on the shelf in my garage it would just randomly set itself off....the lock worked ok
Old 01-31-2013, 10:04 AM   #404
Mr_Gone
Innocent Culprit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offcamber View Post
I tried the smartphone GPS thing and it didn't work for me....to hard to see while riding....phone runs hot due to all the processing. You need to have it plugged in or the battery lasts about an hour. If you don't have the maps already installed then the data service issues comes in and then you will be using a lot of your data plan assuming its not unlimited.

I find the dedicated GPS is much better at navigating than the phone...Smartphone nav apps are great in a pinch but not for long trips.

Regardless of which you use.....carry a paper map and a compass

Worst item I have bought well it was a gift was a Xena wheel lock with alarm....the alarm would go off all the time for no reason. Even sitting on the shelf in my garage it would just randomly set itself off....the lock worked ok
I'm not looking at my phone for maps. I have earbuds plugged in, so I'm just listening to the turn-by-turn directions. And I guess I'm fortunate with a decent phone, because I can listen to music and run the Navigation app for 8 hours before I'm down to 10% battery life remaining. Plus, an extra battery was $10, so not bad. And my data plan is large enough that I don't really need to worry too much about using all my data.

Most of the time, I'm just using the Navigation app on my phone in unfamiliar cities when I can't immediately find my hotel. Otherwise, I'm pretty content to just ride and ride and ride, and if I get lost, I just keep riding. I pretty much memorize my route each day using a paper map. It works for me.

Heck, who am I kidding? I spend all winter memorizing my routes....

Oh hell, who am I kidding now? I spend all my time at work memorizing my routes!!!
Old 01-31-2013, 12:59 PM   #405
Pampero
Verbose Adventurer

Oddometer: 374
I am surprised people complain about Bilt, not because the product should be good; it obviously shouldn't or at the price, needn't be. It's about the cheapest stuff on the market, and they couldn't even spell their own name properly. Everything hinting at quality is omitted including the u.

Same with Tour Master. Never buy any product that has the word "master" in it, whether it's the ending part, as in Tour, or at the beginning, as in bation. These are things you should never pay money for.

I am surprised that nobody has mentioned Black and Decker so far. Anything I have ever gotten with that name has been utter garbage.

Maybe the worst items I ever wasted money on as regards bikes are two of these roller disc things that were supposed to make moving bikes sideways, or spinning them in your garage a piece of cake. I forget the name, but they used to advertise them in the back of the mags. You were supposed to roll the front (or rear, or both) of your tires onto these and then be able to slide even the heaviest bike around in your jam packed garage. You could (if only they worked as advertised) turn it in it's own length and generally move it around without a hassle in a confined space. They even had a convincing (to me) video showing how easy it was to do. I got them because I had more bikes than garage. Doubling down and ordering them both at the same time is what still pisses me off to this day. They weren't all that poorly made, they just didn't work worth a shit, and slid out from under you at the most awkward moments, promising disastrous results.

You get what you pay for. I'm not surprised to see a lot the cheap crap coming in for knocks.

Pampero screwed with this post 01-31-2013 at 01:23 PM
Pampero is offline   Reply With Quote