Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2013, 05:31 PM   #406
NortwestRider
TRIPOD ADVENTURER !!

Oddometer: 3,509
I like the Bilt stuff EXCEPT amything they say is waterproof!!.3 pairs of boot and 1 jacket,all were sold as waterproof,all leaked BAD within 1 week.They are great with returns,they said that they don't think they had riders like me ( I ride everyday here in Seattle ) in mind when they designed there waterproof stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Facebook..PNW Adventure Riders..Facebook
MY BUILD http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=938440
NortwestRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:13 PM   #407
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonny View Post
Oxford heated grips, lasted about a month before the controlled smoked.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchG View Post
Say it ain't so, I just got a set in the mail today.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob View Post
I've had a set for over two years, no problems.
I've had a set for about 6 years, no problems.
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:13 AM   #408
bwringer
Gimpy, Yet Alacritous

Oddometer: 2,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by NortwestRider View Post
I like the Bilt stuff EXCEPT amything they say is waterproof!!.3 pairs of boot and 1 jacket,all were sold as waterproof,all leaked BAD within 1 week.They are great with returns,they said that they don't think they had riders like me ( I ride everyday here in Seattle ) in mind when they designed there waterproof stuff.
Dey all do dat.

I've never had ANYTHING "waterproof" that performed as advertised. Yes, even the expensive stuff. Yes, even that expensive stuff. It's all 100% bullshit.

If you ask me, Goretex is a scam, and Aerostich should be absolutely ashamed of their catalog lies.

The absolute best you can hope for is a bit of a delay before your scrotum is swimming, your boots are full, and your fingers freeze solid.

Keep extra clothes at work.

On a trip, make sure everything is synthetic so at least you stand a chance of not dying of hypothermia when (Not "if". "When".) your expensive waterproof gear leaks and your rain gear fails.
"Do not crinkle your food wrappers loudly. Be considerate to others, or I will bite your torso and give you a disease."
bwringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:01 AM   #409
MotoBoss
Bad Influence

Oddometer: 3,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwringer View Post
Dey all do dat.

I've never had ANYTHING "waterproof" that performed as advertised. Yes, even the expensive stuff. Yes, even that expensive stuff. It's all 100% bullshit..

I've worn Gore Tex for over thirty years and NEVER EVER had a problem. Yeah your crotch may get wet in a frog strangler every now and then but Gore works, period. My gore boots have never let my feet get wet in any weather and my 'stitch has never failed me, nor my Klim jacket.

Let me see, I don't think over a million world wide Aerostitch wearer's can be all wrong!
You must be using the knock off stuff made by Bilt

AdventureRiderRadio
Donate To ADV

MotoBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:15 AM   #410
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,442
I recently bought a couple of Harbor Freight motorcycle dollies. You know, the kind that go under the bike and sidestand, and roll around on casters. My thought was that they would allow me greater access to my dual sport bikes, etc.

They were crap. Biggest problem -- the casters, didn't. The dollies were great as long as there wasn't a bike on them. Even though rated for 1250 lbs, a ~300 lb bike loaded on one would cause casters and wheels to bind, leaving nasty black marks from dragging caster wheels when moved.

They went back for a refund. Total shite.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:17 AM   #411
Pampero
Verbose Adventurer

Oddometer: 563
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwringer View Post
Dey all do dat.

I've never had ANYTHING "waterproof" that performed as advertised. Yes, even the expensive stuff. Yes, even that expensive stuff. It's all 100% bullshit.

If you ask me, Goretex is a scam, and Aerostich should be absolutely ashamed of their catalog lies.

The absolute best you can hope for is a bit of a delay before your scrotum is swimming, your boots are full, and your fingers freeze solid.
Not a Daytona GTX boot owner, I'll guess. They are waterproof when new and last for the duration. I've had my pair for years and they are excellent, but you don't get them on the cheap. I don't do ten hour rides in the wet up here, but my boots work well for the several hours they might be called on to protect me in the rain. They do require some care to keep them, but no more than any other critical piece of equipment. I keep them polished and waxed. If they need repair, they have to go back to the factory as a standard shoe repair place really can't do them justice, but so far mine have not required any more than some annual attention to keep the surfaces clean and supple. I ride in them, and don't walk in them apart from transits to the bike, although they are comfortable enough to get around in. I just don't want to wear them out or use up the soles.

I can't speak to the Aerostich issue as I don't own any, but hear good things from my friends who do. Goretex is not the impermeable membrane of any suit; it forms the liner, so it is not the first barrier to water.
Pampero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:32 AM   #412
Grizzler
Gas Passer For Hire

Oddometer: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by motozine View Post
LR Discovery II, started squeeking from first month.
Lots of electrical problems and leaks.
Ditto!
Grizzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:12 AM   #413
NortwestRider
TRIPOD ADVENTURER !!

Oddometer: 3,509
My Darien has been 100% water for over 10 years,in SEATTLE !!.BUT you have to wash and treat it 2 times a year if you ride everyday !!!!.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Facebook..PNW Adventure Riders..Facebook
MY BUILD http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=938440
NortwestRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 02:34 PM   #414
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

Oddometer: 17,661
Toyota Tundra pickups, current generation. These shit wagons completely cured me of the notion that Toyota builds anything of value.
Old 02-02-2013, 02:46 PM   #415
bikerfish
flyfishandride

Oddometer: 1,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoBoss View Post
I've worn Gore Tex for over thirty years and NEVER EVER had a problem. Yeah your crotch may get wet in a frog strangler every now and then but Gore works, period. My gore boots have never let my feet get wet in any weather and my 'stitch has never failed me, nor my Klim jacket.

Let me see, I don't think over a million world wide Aerostitch wearer's can be all wrong!
You must be using the knock off stuff made by Bilt
any time I've ever had a problem it was user error, and I think that is what happens to most that have problems, though they will never admit it. crotch wet? yes, because I was careless and didn't make sure the jacket storm flaps were done up right. hands wet? yes, because I was too lazy to tuck my gauntlets UNDER my jacket sleeves and every drop of water that hit my arms ran directly into the gloves.
many other scenerios that fall under user error.
the gear is great, and goretex has revolutionized damn near every type of activity that uses it, from mountain climbing to motorcycle riding.
bikerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:19 PM   #416
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

Oddometer: 17,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by joenuclear View Post
2009 GoldWing. But the GSA is coming on strong.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:54 AM   #417
concours
WFO for 41 years

Oddometer: 5,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerfish View Post
any time I've ever had a problem it was user error, and I think that is what happens to most that have problems, though they will never admit it. crotch wet? yes, because I was careless and didn't make sure the jacket storm flaps were done up right. hands wet? yes, because I was too lazy to tuck my gauntlets UNDER my jacket sleeves and every drop of water that hit my arms ran directly into the gloves.
many other scenerios that fall under user error.
the gear is great, and goretex has revolutionized damn near every type of activity that uses it, from mountain climbing to motorcycle riding.
+1. My Gore-Tex snowmobile and motorcycle gear was expensive, but worth every cent.
Old 02-03-2013, 11:00 AM   #418
davsato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 799
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonny
Oxford heated grips, lasted about a month before the controlled smoked.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchG
Say it ain't so, I just got a set in the mail today.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob
I've had a set for over two years, no problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slartidbartfast View Post
I've had a set for about 6 years, no problems.
anonny how long ago was that? there were problems with the control unit, several went tits up but that was ages ago. water getting in, and the facia on the buttons at the front wearing through. havent heard anything lately
Old 02-03-2013, 09:50 PM   #419
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,626
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie88 View Post
Toyota Tundra pickups, current generation. These shit wagons completely cured me of the notion that Toyota builds anything of value.
Funny, I had a 2006 with the 4.7L, and a 2008 and 2010 with the 5.7L, loved all of them and had zero issues.

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
1911fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:04 PM   #420
mk4dubbin
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Alpinestars Drystar 360 suit. Unless your into walking around looking like you just pissed your pants.
mk4dubbin is offline   Reply With Quote