Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2007, 08:03 AM   #31
Chopperman
I am dead

Oddometer: 27,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVMax
Motorad Elektrik, Rick Jones - right across the river from me!

Anyone who has an airhead needs to know who Rick is, he IS the electro-guru of the airhead.

http://www.motoelekt.com/

200 Watt Alternator Kit for '55-'69 Boxers $575
This 200 watt, 12 volt alternator conversion is a completely self-contained unit, with the regulator and diode board built in -
everything fits neatly under the front cover. The entire alternator attaches to the engine with two bolts which screw into existing tapped holes. Only three wires need to be connected to the original harness, and then replace the bulbs and battery - it's that simple. Real juice for your R60/2 or R69S! The kit comes complete with rotor puller tool, allen wrenches, fasteners and wire terminals, bulbs, and battery. Think! Real power for heated grips, electric vest, GPS...

Ouch.

Urals use a Nippon Denso. Less than a hundred bucks.
Old 11-18-2007, 08:03 AM   #32
bwanacswan
Team Vicarious

Oddometer: 3,204

The quality of the Ural's has gone up quite abit in the last few years.

My boys have ridden the beast harder than most of the toys on the farm and it's like a Timex....takes a licken and keeps on ticken.

I hit and killed an 8 point buck with the Gear-Up this summer with only a quarter size ding in the fender.

One tough motorscooter

Bwana
ADV members, nothing but rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, shit-kickers and Methodists.
bwanacswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 08:05 AM   #33
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by curbjumper
Right on.

Look foward to seeing it.

Not sure if the Triumph 500 will have enough power- but this might be a good thing for a beginner.

Besides, in the heyday of the sidecar years, bikes with a similar lack of horsepower as the Daytona 500 were quite common.

Maybe it will be good to learn on.
It will pull it. Maybe not at 75 mph, but it will pull it. The big question is how heavy will the steering be, and will it stop? That's what you need to worry about.
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 08:06 AM   #34
Chopperman
I am dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by siemonw
Yeah, but the /2 will appreciate, while the Ural will depreciate. I've been conversing with a few knowledgeable guys on the subject and they keep telling me Urals are fun, but their quality is way low. Since it will spend most of the time in the garage, and I don't see any need for going over 55 in it, the classic Beemer seems more practical.

As you like. But buying a bike based on market value is beyond silly.

I wonder if those people who tell you about Urals quality have any experience with models made in the last couple years? Diferent subject different thread. I'll hold off til then
Old 11-18-2007, 08:11 AM   #35
curbjumper
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller
The big question is how heavy will the steering be, and will it stop? That's what you need to worry about.

Right- It doesn't stop well now, and that's w/o a sidecar.
curbjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 08:11 AM   #36
ADVMax
Sporting Foole

Oddometer: 31,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopperman
Ouch.

Urals use a Nippon Denso. Less than a hundred bucks.
This one is kinda pricey - but it's the 12V conversion. Repairs after the convert to 12 volts are not bad - if needed at all. A lot of people running Ricks units never have had to touch them after the initial install.

The Second Amendment - it ain't about duck hunting.

You heatherns needs some churchin up - http://www.landoverbaptist.org/
ADVMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 08:16 AM   #37
hotair
What to ride?????

Oddometer: 576
I just bought my second Ural!! I have a Gear Up And a Patrol, both 2 wheel drive. Both 2005s I have not had any major problems at all. Easy maint. The GU has been thru hell in Big Bend a couple of times. Rocks the size of basketballs and sand and mud at the same time! Had to get out the rope and come-along to get it out!!! Washed off with a hose and it only had dents in the mufflers!! I like to refer to the mufflers as PONTOONS !!! When they are on the ground they kind of keep it from going deeper!
hotair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 08:17 AM   #38
Chopperman
I am dead

Simon, I noted you are in SW Oregon. Give a shout to Jim at Raceway up near the river. He is a good dude. Yeah he sells them, but he wont BS you.

To put it into perspective on the quality -

Back when I was servicing and doing parts for them, I got the Ural folks to loan me a rig to take to the BMW rally in Spokane. What I got was an 03 Gear up. But not just any GU. THis one had been pulled fresh from the crate and entered in the Black Dog Dual sport. That was its break in. 2 days offroading and taking third (IIRC). THen it got fresh oil and a valve adjust and handed to me. I took it out to Spokane. Tooled it around the rally for 2 days at walking speed. Then I rode it back. All in triple degree tempuratures and two Cascade crossings. It hadnt even had its first service yet. Yes it desperately needed servicing. But it was running like a top. That was an 03 bike that is pretty much a turning point year for the machines. And since then the quality has gone steadily upward.

Yeah they still arent Honda quality yet. Yeah it will need attention. But Ural has (or had) the best warranty ever.

I completely understand if it isnt to your tastes. But I want to make sure you arent still heeding old news.
Old 11-18-2007, 08:18 AM   #39
Chopperman
I am dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVMax
This one is kinda pricey - but it's the 12V conversion. Repairs after the convert to 12 volts are not bad - if needed at all. A lot of people running Ricks units never have had to touch them after the initial install.

Still it doesnt touch being able to grab an alternator out of an old Toyota
Old 11-18-2007, 08:18 AM   #40
PecosBill
Get off my f'n lawn!

Oddometer: 41,130
Quote:
As you like. But buying a bike based on market value is beyond silly.

I wonder if those people who tell you about Urals quality have any experience with models made in the last couple years? Diferent subject different thread. I'll hold off til then
It's not so much based on market value, just a factor. The other day it was the ex head mechanic for BMW Santa Cruz, they're a Ural dealer too, so I'm figuring he knows what he's talking about. He has started an independent, and is well respected in Beemer circles.

I always wanted a /2 to gaze at, this would kill two birds with one stone.

Save $5 on your new SmugMug account, go to: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=K0vxRpKbulMhM
PecosBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 08:19 AM   #41
ADVMax
Sporting Foole

Oddometer: 31,294
Quote:
Still it doesnt touch being able to grab an alternator out of an old Toyota
THAT is a killer good point right there!

The Second Amendment - it ain't about duck hunting.

You heatherns needs some churchin up - http://www.landoverbaptist.org/
ADVMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 08:22 AM   #42
PecosBill
Get off my f'n lawn!

Quote:
Simon, I noted you are in SW Oregon. Give a shout to Jim at Raceway up near the river. He is a good dude. Yeah he sells them, but he wont BS you.

To put it into perspective on the quality -

Back when I was servicing and doing parts for them, I got the Ural folks to loan me a rig to take to the BMW rally in Spokane. What I got was an 03 Gear up. But not just any GU. THis one had been pulled fresh from the crate and entered in the Black Dog Dual sport. That was its break in. 2 days offroading and taking third (IIRC). THen it got fresh oil and a valve adjust and handed to me. I took it out to Spokane. Tooled it around the rally for 2 days at walking speed. Then I rode it back. All in triple degree tempuratures and two Cascade crossings. It hadnt even had its first service yet. Yes it desperately needed servicing. But it was running like a top. That was an 03 bike that is pretty much a turning point year for the machines. And since then the quality has gone steadily upward.

Yeah they still arent Honda quality yet. Yeah it will need attention. But Ural has (or had) the best warranty ever.

I completely understand if it isnt to your tastes. But I want to make sure you arent still heeding old news.
I still drool over them. I was sitting on one last week and they are cool. It was that $11k sticker for the GU that made me cringe. It seems they were under 10 the last time I sat on one.

Save $5 on your new SmugMug account, go to: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=K0vxRpKbulMhM
Old 11-18-2007, 08:22 AM   #43
Chopperman
I am dead

Quote:
It's not so much based on market value, just a factor. The other day it was the ex head mechanic for BMW Santa Cruz, they're a Ural dealer too, so I'm figuring he knows what he's talking about. He has started an independent, and is well respected in Beemer circles.

I always wanted a /2 to gaze at, this would kill two birds with one stone.

Well lust is a whole other kettle of monkeys If you dont like it, no sense in buying it. If it isnt going to satisfy /2 lust, then you should absolutely get a /2
Old 11-18-2007, 08:29 AM   #44
Chopperman
I am dead

Quote:
I still drool over them. I was sitting on one last week and they are cool. It was that $11k sticker for the GU that made me cringe. It seems they were under 10 the last time I sat on one.
That is pure economics. The improved quality costs as does our sinking dollar. They have thrown a lot of money at making the Ural a viable brand. And actually the prices are not out of whack. You find another sidecar rig for that price with a warranty.

The retro and 2wd models are right about 11k MSRP. The Tourist 9200. What is a good /2 with hack? 15? More? I dunno. Factory HD with a hack (last I looked ) ran 30k.

If I recall correctly, the Retro with hack was 10k when introduced in 04. The Patrol was like 9500. So the prices actually havent jumped all that much. Now if you are thinking about those awful units sold by Costco in the late 90s, yeah, there is a big jump. But I wouldnt touch one of those for more than a couple grand anyhow.
Old 11-18-2007, 08:34 AM   #45
PecosBill
Get off my f'n lawn!

Quote:
That is pure economics. The improved quality costs as does our sinking dollar. They have thrown a lot of money at making the Ural a viable brand. And actually the prices are not out of whack. You find another sidecar rig for that price with a warranty.

The retro and 2wd models are right about 11k MSRP. The Tourist 9200. What is a good /2 with hack? 15? More? I dunno. Factory HD with a hack (last I looked ) ran 30k.

If I recall correctly, the Retro with hack was 10k when introduced in 04. The Patrol was like 9500. So the prices actually havent jumped all that much. Now if you are thinking about those awful units sold by Costco in the late 90s, yeah, there is a big jump. But I wouldnt touch one of those for more than a couple grand anyhow.

Hmmm...

what I need is more money and a bigger garage.

Any of you rich bastards out there want to adopt me? Christmas is almost here.