Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2013, 03:42 AM   #1
Iranian OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 402
Auto bikes

Hi everybody!

I have been expecting that more brands tries to sell autobikes but so far it seem's that only Aprilia, Honda and yamaha who dares to stick their chin out.

I am suprised. How about you guys and girls, have you also been expecting other brands to introduce autobikes?

Regards,

Iranian
Iranian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 04:14 AM   #2
Vertical C
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,740
A lot of the high end sportsbikes are getting quickshifters and with so much power you dont really need to shift that much.
Vertical C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 04:19 AM   #3
Iranian OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I guess so but ordinary bikes and bikers who don't want to ride crotchrocket?
Old 12-02-2013, 04:37 AM   #4
Aj Mick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 487
Here in Thailand scoots with CVT auto transmissions make up about 40% of the market, which approaches 2 million a year in total. They are convenient, but cost a bit more to buy, and a lot more to run; they're for flash folk. People looking for cheap transport stick with traditional auto-clutch manual models, which make up about 55% of the market.

The remaining 5% is accounted for by bigger bikes. I have seen a few auto or semi-auto models from Honda, but cannot see them catching on here, or anywhere. Owners are into the riding experience and, and controlling their machine. Changing gear is part of the buzz.
Old 12-02-2013, 04:45 AM   #5
Super Sneaky Steve
B@nned Club :D

Oddometer: 3,821
I'd say most riders in the US are enthusiasts who ride for fun more than for pure transportation.

Automatic transmissions are not as fun so I think they will remain a small portion of total sales.
Super Sneaky Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 04:55 AM   #6
Iranian OP
Gnarly Adventurer

We are all different but I think honda is on something great. I personally don't think that the autobox takes away the fun with riding bikes. I think it makes it more enjoyable. But that's me. I think also that everything that is little bit odd, something that not every bike has like autobox, foot clutch and handshift is cool :-)

I understand that is not it for everybody but I would like to see more manufacturer offer autobox. Why are they letting the goal be with open for honda? Which is by the way a great thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Sneaky Steve View Post
I'd say most riders in the US are enthusiasts who ride for fun more than for pure transportation.

Automatic transmissions are not as fun so I think they will remain a small portion of total sales.
Old 12-02-2013, 05:37 AM   #7
Dave.0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 678
My wife has an aprilia mana with the CVT transmission. She has bikes with clutches and traditional transmissions, but this was her first "big" bike and the CVT was one of the reasons she picked it. For her its been a bit of a mixed experience. When you are hustling through some twisties its actually pretty fun and gives you one less thing to worry about. Throw it in deep, hard on the brakes then back on the throttle - always in the right gear. It suffers in the slow stuff, where on a traditional bike you would slip the clutch and have better control of the throttle, on this thing with no clutch its a bit of a guess when you are going to have power, so you end up paddling it more than you usually would. I like riding it occasionally, and its pretty easy to get used to, but I wouldn't pick a CVT for one of my bikes.
Dave.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 06:38 AM   #8
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iranian View Post
We are all different but I think honda is on something great. I personally don't think that the autobox takes away the fun with riding bikes. I think it makes it more enjoyable. But that's me. I think also that everything that is little bit odd, something that not every bike has like autobox, foot clutch and handshift is cool :-)

I understand that is not it for everybody but I would like to see more manufacturer offer autobox. Why are they letting the goal be with open for honda? Which is by the way a great thing.
100% agree!

I haver ridden a couple of Honda's with the DCT tranny, and I really liked it. The nice thing is, you can still shift it if you want to put it in "manual" mode. I would like to see more bikes running something like DCT.

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 08:14 AM   #9
Reduxalicious
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iranian View Post
Hi everybody!

I have been expecting that more brands tries to sell autobikes but so far it seem's that only Aprilia, Honda and yamaha who dares to stick their chin out.

I am suprised. How about you guys and girls, have you also been expecting other brands to introduce autobikes?

Regards,

Iranian
Not really, I'm not bike Mechanic so someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong..

Auto-Box's are probably more expensive to produce and set up, Cost and Price and Production probably factors in as well-- In the US market (at least) Motorcycles are pretty much seen as toys (granted not by me, since it's my main form of transportation) and automatics are not fun--I rode an Automatic bike once, the Aprilia now that you mention it-- FOR ME, I didn't care for it AT ALL- It's not as personal or as fun, FOR ME It absolutely takes away from the fun--Something about hearing my Guzzi's gear-box CLUNK as a I drop it in-to first or my KZ make a tiny clink sound as I'm shifting it or even my Harley making it's loud KERPLUNK as it shifts, just adds to the experience. If I wanted an Automatic I would drive my Truck. BUT HEY, To each their own..Back on topic..

NO I'm not that surprised that not every brand offers an Automatic.
Old 12-02-2013, 08:29 AM   #10
neil p
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
My 2 speed Guzzi Convert. A real pleasure to ride.

neil p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 09:16 AM   #11
gumshoe4
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 811
Hi all. I've been riding a Honda Silverwing and a Piaggio BV500 for awhile now, both CVT transmissions. I personally like the fact that the machine is always in the power band and the right "gear", if you will, in the twisties. It is simply one less thing to deal with and you can really concentrate on your riding and cornering technique...but that's just me.

Riding a CVT equipped machine at low speeds is different from a regular motorcycle, because you don't have direct control of the clutch friction zone with a hand lever. With a CVT transmission, at low speeds or during low speed maneuvers you lightly brake to slow down while simultaneously keeping the engine revs up slightly to keep the clutch engaged. It's actually easier than it sounds and after awhile, it becomes automatic and works pretty well.
Old 12-02-2013, 02:29 PM   #12
Soulbreeze
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
~~
FWIW, my mom is thinking of getting a CTX700 with the DCT when it's time to put her Honda Reflex down. I think she is exactly the kind of customer they are aiming these bikes at.

Pretty sure it will stay a small market only seen on a handful of models, but we'll have to see how the sales continue to go for Honda's DCT bikes. I think other manufacturers are probably doing just that.
~~
Soulbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 02:33 PM   #13
Iranian OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Imagane you self a cruiser with auto box like road king with autobox. Would that not be fun to drive. Just cruise and enjoy ride without need to care about gear shifting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulbreeze View Post
~~
FWIW, my mom is thinking of getting a CTX700 with the DCT when it's time to put her Honda Reflex down. I think she is exactly the kind of customer they are aiming these bikes at.

Pretty sure it will stay a small market only seen on a handful of models, but we'll have to see how the sales continue to go for Honda's DCT bikes. I think other manufacturers are probably doing just that.
~~
Old 12-02-2013, 02:42 PM   #14
apessino
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,213
Manual DCT on a bike? Sure thing... bring it on.

Automatic on a bike? Fuck no.
Old 12-02-2013, 02:51 PM   #15
steveWFL
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,349
big CC scooters are fun
'99 ZX9R - because I like the other one so much
'08 ZZR600 minty
steveWFL is offline   Reply With Quote