User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2013, 09:49 AM   #1
flienlow OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 453
2014 FJR1300 vs 2014 R1200RT

2014 FJR1300 vs 2014 R1200RT. Looks like Yamaha pulled up their big boy pants and added some features to the FJR such as CC and Electronic suspension. The BMW will be more featureistic with heated seats, radio ect but that Yamaha seems to be a great package for the price (we all the know the new BMW will be a ridiculous bloodletting amount.) I wont fully know until I actually get a chance to ride both, but just wanted to put out a feeler to all of you and hear you thoughts.
flienlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 10:48 AM   #2
Jim-Mer
Slowing Down

Oddometer: 77
It sounds like you have already made up your mind. Both are great bikes, just different.

Jim
Jim-Mer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 11:58 AM   #3
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,436
You'll have to ride them to make a decision.
Grainbelt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 12:03 PM   #4
Paulvt1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,315
FJR - Won't go wrong. Good to own.

RT - Will go wrong. Good to ride.
Paulvt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 12:32 PM   #5
Royal Tiger
Pz VI B, Sd Kfz 182

Oddometer: 1,378
Sounds like it could go either way.

The Yamaha will be a 10 year old motorcycle with bold new colors and add on other bikes got 6 years ago. Will it still have a 5 speed trans?

The BMW is just about completely new from nose to tail and its lighter. Not to mention better luggage and the best ABS on two wheels. It'll cost more, but you get what you pay for.

I own both brands and many before so I'm not biased, but I really wish Yamaha would come out with a new FJR, because the current one is waaaaay behind the competition.
Old 11-14-2013, 12:35 PM   #6
Volfy
ADV Free

Oddometer: 50
Sure sounded like you've got your mind set on the FJR already. As for the price on the 2014 R1200R, not sure what your definition of blood letting is, but it will probably not be far from the current $17,350 base and $22,000 loaded of the outgoing 2013 model.

For me, the FJR just sits too wide. Possibly widest of all the STs I've sampled. WHich is surprising, given the C14 I had wasn't like that. If you got long legs, that won't matter one bit. But pretty much ruled the FJR out for us midgets.
Volfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 12:37 PM   #7
flienlow OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Tiger View Post

The Yamaha will be a 10 year old motorcycle with bold new colors and add on other bikes got 6 years ago. Will it still have a 5 speed trans?

The BMW is just about completely new from nose to tail and its lighter. Not to mention better luggage and the best ABS on two wheels. It'll cost more, but you get what you pay for.

I own both brands and many before so I'm not biased, but I really wish Yamaha would come out with a new FJR, because the current one is waaaaay behind the competition.
At least Yamaha changed the bike a little huh? What about the Concurs and the ST. All they did was raise the price. And the price of the new ST is all out laughable. I do agree the BMW is all new though.
Old 11-14-2013, 12:41 PM   #8
Krakatoa
Waiting...

Oddometer: 28
I like the FJR digital dash better than the RT.

Krakatoa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 01:09 PM   #9
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,045
Quote:

I believe the 2014 FJR gets a six speed tranny. Yamaha has been updating this model continuously ever since it's introduction. I think you may need to take another look. BMW lists the "fully Fuelled" wait of the RT at 607 lbs. Yamaha list curb weight of the FJR at 637 pounds. That is not a significant difference in this class of bikes, IMO.

Motorcycle.com recently compared the FJR to the Concours and the ST1300, and they picked the FJR as best in class, saying it really has no competition.

I would take the FJR in a heartbeat, and that's saying somthing because I have always admired the RT.

Walk with the wise and become wise,
for a companion of fools suffers harm. Proverbs 13:20
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 01:22 PM   #10
MariusD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 338
Well, if the r12rt is brand new nose to tail for 2014, then i'd skip this model year, because you know with all the new stuff and electronics on it, something somehwere could be an issue. I'd at least wait until a few people get them to confirm that nothing is a bust on the new model. Just being cautious...

I sat on a 2014 red fjr and it felt heavenly... I didn't want to get off. Might be my next bike if it has a real overdrive gear. But who knows...
MariusD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 01:31 PM   #11
Royal Tiger
Pz VI B, Sd Kfz 182

Oddometer: 1,378
Quote:
Originally Posted by MariusD View Post
Well, if the r12rt is brand new nose to tail for 2014, then i'd skip this model year, because you know with all the new stuff and electronics on it, something somehwere could be an issue. I'd at least wait until a few people get them to confirm that nothing is a bust on the new model. Just being cautious...

I sat on a 2014 red fjr and it felt heavenly... I didn't want to get off. Might be my next bike if it has a real overdrive gear. But who knows...
Absolutely. I would never buy a 1st year bike with this many changes.

The Honda ST is nothing special. I wasn't impressed. The Concourse 14 is a rocketship. It felt the fastest. But I haven't ridden a K1600GT yet. I was hoping BMW would redo the R1200ST with the new motor. Mine is 100 pounds lighter then the RT which is lighter then the others. I want sub 550lbs. I'm leaning towards the Ninja 1000 ABS with factory bags.
Old 11-14-2013, 01:57 PM   #12
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,045
I can understand why anyone would take a brief look at the ST1300 and not be impressed. I bought one in Feb 2011, used, a 2007 model. I was just tired of the old V-Strom. The more I rode the ST, the better I liked it. I tried a panic stop just to test the stopping power - and busted my boys on the back of the gas tank! Great brakes! And very comfortable - I had to do a long ride in one afternoon. It was cake on that bike. Excellent wind protection. Lots of air with the w/s all the way down, absolutely none with it all the way up. And the lights - Holy Cow! the first time I rode it at night and hit the high beams it was like instant daylight! Better lights than my car (but not my truck). The saddle bags were huge and could easily hold my 3x helmet. There was a lot to like there, and ST fans are pretty loyal. I may have to have another one....

Walk with the wise and become wise,
for a companion of fools suffers harm. Proverbs 13:20
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 05:06 PM   #13
flienlow OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Will it still have a 5 speed trans?
Transmission 5-speed; multiplate wet clutch
Old 11-14-2013, 05:16 PM   #14
John K.
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by flienlow View Post
Transmission 5-speed; multiplate wet clutch
Is there a specific reason to keep the 5 speed? Seems very dated.
John K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 05:40 PM   #15
bills3t
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
The 5speed works , even on the first gen fjr 70mph is @ 4,000rpm right where the bike starts to make some ponies . Want to pass on the interstate just roll the throttle . Bike still gets 40-45mpg when light on the throttle , not bad considering 126hp to the rear wheel . Yamaha hit one out of the park with the fjr , so it has been refinement not a all new bike .
bills3t is offline   Reply With Quote