User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2014, 01:44 PM   #1
AdvSwede OP
'00KLR650, '96FLHTCU

Oddometer: 29
KLR650 racks and Panniers

Just getting back from Sturgis I've begun readying my bike for a U.P. trip. I purchased the Tusk racks because of the detach mechanism on the rack. The bags were a challenge. I wanted to use O/D green Pelican 1550 cases but found Plano 108031 locking pistol cases. The Plano cases are very close to the size of the Pelican. Being a cheap KLR owner saving the $50.00 per case was appealing. O/D green may seem an odd choice of color for most. My bike is the M1030B1 military KLR and comes in beautiful O/D green. I'll post pics as I get to work.
AdvSwede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 06:55 AM   #2
AdvSwede OP
'00KLR650, '96FLHTCU

before pic

The Tusk kit came with all necessary hardware. It even includes an extension for the turn signal wiring which has to be relocated. The wiring kit is a crimp on deal, not what I'm using. I will use factory style bullet plugs.
Attached Images

Old 08-16-2014, 06:57 AM   #3
AdvSwede OP
'00KLR650, '96FLHTCU

after pic

I followed the simple instructions and it took me less than 15 mins. to install everything but the turn signals. More to come when the Plano's arrive.
Attached Images

Old 08-20-2014, 08:44 AM   #4
Rickboss
n00b

Oddometer: 3
I bought the Tusk racks as well and having a buddy weld up some aluminum panniers this week. I had an old diamond plate tool box laying around. I'm hoping the mounts don't rattle too much with the pannier on there though!
Rickboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 09:25 AM   #5
AdvSwede OP
'00KLR650, '96FLHTCU

rattling

If you follow the mounting instructions, I don't think there will be rattling. My boxes are really tight against the racks.
Attached Images

Old 08-30-2014, 11:07 AM   #6
juddspaintballs
Never too many bikes

Oddometer: 195
The Pelican 1550's in OD might look a little better than the black though

I like the Pelican cases a lot (I have several), but I never did like them as side cases. The hips of the bike just seem pretty wide with them on there. I much prefer soft side bags these days. They also hurt less when the bike falls on your leg...

You can't say happiness without saying penis.
juddspaintballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 08:18 AM   #7
AdvSwede OP
'00KLR650, '96FLHTCU

Soft Bags

I've been going around and around with either the hard bag or soft bag idea. The soft bags have some advantages as you mentioned. I know the hard bags have some limitations. I just could not find a soft bag that I liked.

I plan on adding the Caribou accessories to make the boxes more useful and limit some of the shortfalls of the box design. I have a larger Pelican that I use for the top case. The top case is black so that pushed me to the black side cases. The yellow and black Plano case matches my Wolfman tank bag.

At least the Pelican and Plano cases are not as large as some of the Aluminum cases out on the market. I can't but think that the frontal area of some of the larger boxes would create highway speed/mileage and trail clearance issues with the KLR. The other issue with some of the Aluminum cases is that they are very deep and therefore sit very low on the bike, limiting ground clearance and maybe creating a pinch point for a foot or ankle?

Ya, O/D green would look better
Old 08-31-2014, 09:26 AM   #8
Grinnin
Forever N00b

Oddometer: 2,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdvSwede View Post
If you follow the mounting instructions, I don't think there will be rattling. My boxes are really tight against the racks.
I made quick-release attachments for my Pelican Storm boxes on my KLR. They were tight enough that I needed to whack them pretty hard to get them to slide into the "latched on" position.

After the first year (18,000 mi) they'd loosened up enough to rattle. I took them apart, shaved the spacer down a little and reassembled.

After the second year (20,000 mi?) they'd loosened up enough to rattle. I could see that the steel rack was pounding a concave line in the retainer. (Once there's any play, the motion will make more play.) There was a solid foot of mating surface (30cm). I took the quick-release parts out and changed to a screw-down system from inside the case; I can now tighten them as the parts wear.

My cases are a bit wide, but they're narrower than the handlebars by a half-inch on each side. That's before the aluminum handguards that make the handlebars even wider.

Grinnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 11:19 AM   #9
One Fat Roach
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,408
Www.greenchileadv.com if anyone is looking for a soft bag setup. Plenty of options for the different riders out there and currently some value bundles as well.
One Fat Roach is offline   Reply With Quote