Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2014, 10:47 PM   #1
storx OP
n00b

Oddometer: 5
KTM 450exc: Dualsporting am I destroying it ??

So I have a 2007 KTM 450EXC that has just over 2000 miles that I have been using for dual sport riding in Florida, I was told by the local dual sport club that my bike is a waste to ride on the long trips I have been riding it on since purchasing it a few months ago. I was told I would need to replace the piston and valves at 2500 miles.. but the bike runs perfect....Today I road it 44 miles to Crooms Motorcycle Park and however many miles around the park and then 44 miles back home.. ill be approaching 2500 miles here pretty soon...

storx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 11:36 PM   #2
nevgriff64
Spelt with 2 ffs

Oddometer: 14,446
Orange Crush is for KTM Twins.

I'll move this over to Thumpers.
nevgriff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 12:11 AM   #3
mtntrails
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 465
Huh? No issue at all. That's what these bikes were built for.

I bought a 2nd set of wheels with a cush hub, D606s and no rim locks for my 400EXC for dual sporting, but my dual sport rides require more pavement than what you are talking about. The OEM wheels have rim locks and more aggressive rubber for single track rides.
mtntrails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 12:13 AM   #4
Off the grid
Chaotic Good

Oddometer: 11,313
The 07 RFS bike is possibly the best true 50/50 dual sport bike ever made.

Ride the piss out of it, check the valves every so often especially the intakes, and change the oil every 500-1k or so, filters every 2-3 changes.

They are bulletproof bikes.

Enjoy.
Off the grid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 03:56 AM   #5
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 8,950
If your dual sport club members telling you this are riding 450 KTMs you might listen. If it is someone like me, who has not had one, you shouldn't listen, you should ask KTM owners and maybe the shop where you bought it. I personally don't have a clue, just what I've heard and I wouldn't believe that if I had the 450, I'd do the research. Hopefully some more who have owned or stilll own one will give you more feedback.

I am curious too. I have questioned the durability, like you have and am hoping I see some hands-on stuff here. I'd like to see it turn out the bike can do 50,000 trouble free. That would be great.

Of course you can play it safe, find out what the parts might cost, and set the money aside. Worst case you have to buy parts, best case you have a small pool of money to spend on something else.

I know this is no factual help, but here's to finding good stuff.

Kind of reminds me of 1983 when Harleys had a miserable rep for durability. Then they started the Evo line, which we (in a metric shop) found to be very reliable and relatively low maintenance as well as fairly oil tight as about any engine can be. All the bad formerly true rumors still existed, but we knew it wasn't true on the new ones and would tell riders that - they are reliable and good now - in spite of selling metrics. We were motorcyclists first.

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 04:10 AM   #6
nevermind
sLOW Rider

Oddometer: 3,029
Of course you are destroying it! I feel bad for you but I can take it off your hands for $500, so you have a down payment for a real bike.
nevermind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 04:27 AM   #7
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,739
Oh no!! I'm overdue replacing pistons and valves on mine by 10K miles!!!

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 04:33 AM   #8
Uncle-roby
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
I dual sported a Ktm EXC450R m.y. 2009, sold it with 3000 miles in perfect conditions. Oil changes every 1000 miles.

Now I dual sport a Suzuki RMX450, bought used, now with 4000 miles on the clock, I change oil every 1500 miles.

It is important, IMHO, how it is used, you cannot think it will last forever if you cruise on the highway at high steady speed ...

I cruised at 50 mph max.
If you used it as a KLR650, you may have soon problems ...

Basically they are studies to have fun off road, on road there are better bikes.
Old 06-30-2014, 06:44 AM   #9
Duken4evr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
The bike will be fine for a long time with proper care. I am more impressed you are able to ride a real dirt bike on long street trips. Your ass must be made of cast iron, the remainder of your body tough as rawhide!

I rode my plated 'Berg for 25 miles on the street connecting trails. The bike was fine (cruises easy at 60 to 65 in 6th) but I was crying for my momma!
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 07:17 AM   #10
Uncle-roby
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
I do more then 150 miles tour on my RMX450.

Yours seems a case of "tender butt"...
Just kiddin'!
Old 06-30-2014, 08:38 AM   #11
davesupreme
grand poobah

Oddometer: 1,592
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevermind View Post
Of course you are destroying it! I feel bad for you but I can take it off your hands for $500, so you have a down payment for a real bike.
this guy's just trying to rip you off... i'll give you $637.99 tomorrow to ameliorate your worries, and as a generous downpayment for a used DRZ....
davesupreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 09:46 AM   #12
storx OP
n00b

Oddometer: 5
well i bought the bike back a few months ago with the intentions of using it for dual sport riding... it was used for less that most of the high mile drz400's in my area... so i took a chance and picked it up.. payed $3200 bucks for it from a guy who said he didnt have enough time to ride it... bike had a ton of mods already like the seat concept comfort seat, 4 gallon fuel tank, scotts dampner, larger suspension setup since he was larger man, fan kit, and a few other goodies..

The guys i just meet in the dual sport club all mostly ride adventure style bikes like klr650's, tiger 1050's, and bmw's... so i feel like im the odd one out..

The ride on the open highway wasnt that bad really.. but i kept most of the roads i rode on as county and city roads to keep the speeds down so the tires wouldnt get overheated, since i am still on my OFFROAD dirt tires... have a new set of dual sport tires ready to be used once these are worn down..

i bought the 2007 because after lots and lots of reading i read that the 2007 was the golden year and after some searching everyone that had one wanted a pretty penny for them so i was starting to give up when this one showed up on craigslist one day and that same day i bought it..
storx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 09:49 AM   #13
pne
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 869
you got a good deal, ride it and enjoy it.
Old 06-30-2014, 09:54 AM   #14
davesupreme
grand poobah

Oddometer: 1,592
dood... that's a great bike!.. don't listen to any of the monkey nay-sayers here.... use good oil, change the oil, and ride the thing..... pay attention, fix broke stuff, and ride it some more.....

if you go to real DS style tires, like maybe 270's, i dunno how you're gonna like them in the single track at Croom, and everywhere else on the west coast where it's all sugar sand.... it's a real trade-off to try and get something that will run in the sand, and still be good on the street... i do some street miles, but i just slow down, and use tires that work good in the sand.....

hard question to answer, just depends on how hard you ride.....
davesupreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 10:30 AM   #15
LittleRedToyota
Yinzer

Oddometer: 2,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by storx View Post
I was told I would need to replace the piston and valves at 2500 miles..
don't ever listen to anything that person ever tells you. he knows not of what he speaks.

if he repeats it to you, an appropriate response would be "doooood....you are a fucking idiot."