ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-30-2008, 02:24 AM   #1531
SteveRed
Adventure Mojo
 
SteveRed's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Sydney Hills - Australia
Oddometer: 2,678
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoDino
Hey Guys...

Any thoughts on front fender packs? Am contemplating getting one to distribute the gear i carry...our front fender doesn't seem to hold a fender pack well...any thoughts on a special pack that works well?

Thanks as always!

Nadim
Contact your local Wolfman distributor... I know they fit because I sell Wolfman here in OZ and the fender bag will carry HD tubes and irons, or whatever you want to put in em. Also Wolfman now make a range of dedicated luggage for the X.
__________________
Agito ergo sum - I ride therefore I am!



http://www.adventuremoto.com.au
Your ride.. Your adventure!
SteveRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 09:48 AM   #1532
DiscoDino
Beastly Adventurer
 
DiscoDino's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Lebanon/NYC
Oddometer: 1,815
Thanks Steve,

I already ordered the tank bag (expedition small in black) from Wolfman, and can't wait to enjoy it...but it seems that with the way our fender is, the fit of the Wolfman luggage hooks may not be ideal...hence checking here to see who already has a fender bag on?

Cheers,
Nadim
__________________
Adventurer transitioning from 4x4 to 2x1
'07 G650Xch - Under Mod-struction
DiscoDino is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 10:03 AM   #1533
Daithi
Destination Unknown.
 
Daithi's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Cork, Ireland
Oddometer: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoDino
Thanks Steve,

I already ordered the tank bag (expedition small in black) from Wolfman, and can't wait to enjoy it...but it seems that with the way our fender is, the fit of the Wolfman luggage hooks may not be ideal...hence checking here to see who already has a fender bag on?

Cheers,
Nadim
I'm not too sure what a "fender packs" is but you could go for the TT/Acerbis option. (Fender, not the box) It gives room between the "fender" and head-light.

__________________
CCM404 & DRz1000
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 06:58 PM   #1534
kutch
That fell off where?
 
kutch's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Here, There and trying to be Everywhere.
Oddometer: 583
Hum,
?? Worth doing rotor guard in steel rather than AL. ??

In steel:
Density = 0.278 pounds per cubic inch
Mass = 0.263 pounds
Volume = 0.944 cubic inches
Surface area = 15.435 inches^2

In AL.:
Density = 0.098 pounds per cubic inch
Mass = 0.092 pounds
Volume = 0.944 cubic inches
Surface area = 15.435 inches^2

Un-sprung mass goes up, but so does protection and lowers deflection...

Just a thought.
Attached Images
 
__________________
"Keep your front wheel down and your head up..."
kutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 08:17 PM   #1535
gaspipe
Wandering Soul
 
gaspipe's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: Pickwick Lake, Tennessippi
Oddometer: 11,337
Kutch,

If you make the sharkfin too sturdy, then the ears break off on the swingarm in the big impact. The best way is to do like Scotts (and a couple others), and make a one piece caliper hanger/disc guard. Much more machining, but very, very sturdy. If you built one, I'd buy it.

__________________
gaspipe [the original]

Hair of the dog....
gaspipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 08:30 PM   #1536
Bora20
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Kamloops, BC, CAD
Oddometer: 849
???

Touratech chain guide. Do you have to break the chain to install or did they make it multi piece like I would have?
__________________
Dan
2010 KTM 530 EXC Champion Edition - factory street legal
Pix - http://Bora20.smugmug.com/
Bora20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 11:12 PM   #1537
mcftw
hxc n33b
 
mcftw's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Lost in Cali
Oddometer: 454
are their any better covers than TT's?

i want something that will cover the whole casing not just 2/3s of it.
__________________
"Open up your mind and think like me." Jason Mraz
mcftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 01:29 AM   #1538
Dirt Hugger
Urban Adventurer
 
Dirt Hugger's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Pretoria, South Africa
Oddometer: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bora20
???

Touratech chain guide. Do you have to break the chain to install or did they make it multi piece like I would have?
They made it multipiece, so you don't need to break the chain. 10 min job to install...
__________________
2013 BMW F800GS
2007 BMW XChallenge - sold
2004 BMW R1200GS - sold
2002 KTM 640 Adventure R - sold
1998 Honda XR600R - sold
Dirt Hugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 04:44 AM   #1539
SteveRed
Adventure Mojo
 
SteveRed's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Sydney Hills - Australia
Oddometer: 2,678
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoDino
Thanks Steve,

I already ordered the tank bag (expedition small in black) from Wolfman, and can't wait to enjoy it...but it seems that with the way our fender is, the fit of the Wolfman luggage hooks may not be ideal...hence checking here to see who already has a fender bag on?

Cheers,
Nadim
Nah mate... The fit is perfect! I have done a couple of thousand kays with the fender bag strapped to the OEM fender and it is all good... See my pic here...



Mate I'm not on commission for stuff sold stateside BTW the bag works with a tube in it as well
__________________
Agito ergo sum - I ride therefore I am!



http://www.adventuremoto.com.au
Your ride.. Your adventure!
SteveRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 05:33 AM   #1540
kutch
That fell off where?
 
kutch's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Here, There and trying to be Everywhere.
Oddometer: 583
Very interesting...
Thanks Gaspipe...


Quote:
Originally Posted by gaspipe
Kutch,

If you make the sharkfin too sturdy, then the ears break off on the swingarm in the big impact. The best way is to do like Scotts (and a couple others), and make a one piece caliper hanger/disc guard. Much more machining, but very, very sturdy. If you built one, I'd buy it.

__________________
"Keep your front wheel down and your head up..."
kutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 07:53 PM   #1541
GB
Mod Squad
 
GB's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: Toronto, ON
Oddometer: 55,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcftw
are their any better covers than TT's?

i want something that will cover the whole casing not just 2/3s of it.
I moved your post from the Index thread to here:

I haven't seen anyone else make a cover.. The TT cover works well. Check here for others:
http://hyderacing.com/store/adventure/bmw/650.htm
__________________
ADV decals, patches & flag? Here
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 09:03 PM   #1542
mcftw
hxc n33b
 
mcftw's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Lost in Cali
Oddometer: 454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
I moved your post from the Index thread to here:

I haven't seen anyone else make a cover.. The TT cover works well. Check here for others:
http://hyderacing.com/store/adventure/bmw/650.htm
thanks GB
i want something that covers the whole case, my deep scratches are on the top

i didn't see any case covers from hyderacing. oh well, i might just machine some aluminum ones and save a few dollars but with the design it won't be too fun to make.
__________________
"Open up your mind and think like me." Jason Mraz
mcftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 06:19 AM   #1543
SteveRed
Adventure Mojo
 
SteveRed's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Sydney Hills - Australia
Oddometer: 2,678
Breaking News!

* NEWS FLASH*

I have been a little concerned like other here about the filter on the XC.. Unifilter make the Pod filter but it is like a container that fills with grit, bugs and even stones. I went to Unifilter and sat down with their tech guy in an effort to sort the problem. Especially since I wanted to remove the airbox cover completely so my TT tank fitted more easily.

We have come up with a nifty 'Pre Filter' for the XC. It works a treat and will go into production within a week. I have some proto types to play with and here are the first pics... BTW it will fit under the outer air box cover but you will need to remove the inner cover to fit it. I have completely hacked my outer cover to accommodate the big arse tank...





















The big tank now fits easily, and plenty of air gets under it. The pre filter is lightly oiled and sits over a cage that slots onto the frame of the pod filter that sits inside the airbox. The pre filter is a coarser foam but will make your filter last much longer... We now have a chamber encapsulated by foam before the air gets into your airbox. However flow charts show that it does not restrict air hardly at all, and once you have replaced your inner airbox cover with the pre filter, it works much better! The production units will be of a much higher quality finish.
__________________
Agito ergo sum - I ride therefore I am!



http://www.adventuremoto.com.au
Your ride.. Your adventure!
SteveRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 06:34 AM   #1544
Storm
Currently Between Crashes
 
Storm's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: London, UK
Oddometer: 126
Awesome work SteveRed - Sign me up for one of the production models!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveRed
* NEWS FLASH*

I have been a little concerned like other here about the filter on the XC.. Unifilter make the Pod filter but it is like a container that fills with grit, bugs and even stones. I went to Unifilter and sat down with their tech guy in an effort to sort the problem. Especially since I wanted to remove the airbox cover completely so my TT tank fitted more easily.

We have come up with a nifty 'Pre Filter' for the XC. It works a treat and will go into production within a week. I have some proto types to play with and here are the first pics... BTW it will fit under the outer air box cover but you will need to remove the inner cover to fit it. I have completely hacked my outer cover to accommodate the big arse tank...




The big tank now fits easily, and plenty of air gets under it. The pre filter is lightly oiled and sits over a cage that slots onto the frame of the pod filter that sits inside the airbox. The pre filter is a coarser foam but will make your filter last much longer... We now have a chamber encapsulated by foam before the air gets into your airbox. However flow charts show that it does not restrict air hardly at all, and once you have replaced your inner airbox cover with the pre filter, it works much better! The production units will be of a much higher quality finish.
__________________
Racing
(a. & n.) from Race (v.t./i.)
The alchemy that turns base metals into heat, noise, power and motion.
Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 07:30 AM   #1545
Hoots Magoon
Hey ya'll, Watch this!
 
Hoots Magoon's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Redneck in New England
Oddometer: 1,211
How many miles can you go before the gas light comes on?



This is with the Jack Splash Acerbis tank mod.

__________________


Hoots Magoon screwed with this post 07-03-2008 at 09:40 AM
Hoots Magoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014