Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2008, 09:41 AM   #1561
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveRed
So Crank.. Is there much speed lost with the 14/49 combo? You are effectively dropping 5 teeth from stock (15/47) Where can I get my hands on one?
Top end cruising suffered a bit, but I could still do gravel road speed bursts up to 86 mph(gps). For the nasty rocky stuff here in New England, I would rev out in second, but not be able to have enough forward speed for third.
Now I can haul in third and lug in second. 1st is a good approach gear now.

Did the 380 mile ass burner yesterday and the gearing worked well, but it was just a bit peaky on the tarmac. Speed limit in Vermont is 50mph, but I usually ride at 65... the simple solution is to ride the speed limit, but thats no fun I think for extended tarmac travel with moderate trails, a 15/49 might be the best compromise. I'll try and throw the 15t cs on this week and give her a go.

I was climbing a nasty,rocky,loamy section and field modified my shift lever It lasted about 4 miles until a log snagged it in a mud hole.
I said screw it and rode the final 220 miles shifting with the nub

Old 07-06-2008, 10:23 AM   #1562
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
Here is a clip of my X with the Stock muffler cored. Should give you a decent idea of what it sounds like under load. It certainly gave me better throttle response and better revving.......

Old 07-06-2008, 04:08 PM   #1563
SteveRed
Adventure Mojo

Oddometer: 2,680
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft
Top end cruising suffered a bit, but I could still do gravel road speed bursts up to 86 mph(gps). For the nasty rocky stuff here in New England, I would rev out in second, but not be able to have enough forward speed for third.
Now I can haul in third and lug in second. 1st is a good approach gear now.

Did the 380 mile ass burner yesterday and the gearing worked well, but it was just a bit peaky on the tarmac. Speed limit in Vermont is 50mph, but I usually ride at 65... the simple solution is to ride the speed limit, but thats no fun I think for extended tarmac travel with moderate trails, a 15/49 might be the best compromise. I'll try and throw the 15t cs on this week and give her a go.

I was climbing a nasty,rocky,loamy section and field modified my shift lever It lasted about 4 miles until a log snagged it in a mud hole.
I said screw it and rode the final 220 miles shifting with the nub

Hey Crank... That's a pretty good "make-shifter' GET IT!?

Oh don't worry..........

http://www.adventuremoto.com.au
Your ride.. Your adventure!
SteveRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 09:04 PM   #1564
TymeRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 377
KTM Fork Protectors Fit Perfectly and Offer More Protection

I had a pair of 2008 KTM Fork Protectors (P/N: 7800109400030) laying around the garage and noticed that they fit the stock X-Challenge forks perfectly. They offer a bit more protection since they wrap completely around the slider, and the brake and ABS sensor lines are mounted in front (versus on the side on the stock units) so that the lines are less likely to get snagged.

They now make a new version that snaps around the fork slider so that you don't have to remove the forks from the triple clamp to install them. Here is a link to the description of the snap-on version.

Here are a couple pics of the KTM fork protectors (older non-snapon version) installed on my X.

Don't forget to bend the upper wire cable guide in toward the center so that the cables don't bind at full fork compression:
TymeRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 03:03 AM   #1565
Storm
Currently Between Crashes

Oddometer: 126
Eh? I'm glad I bought the steel brake pedal...

Little crash climbing the sandstone steps on the Devil's Punchbowl run near Hindhead last Saturday... I need to practice more... and use more revs!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PSCJsy8qWI
Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 03:10 AM   #1566
SteveRed
Adventure Mojo

Oddometer: 2,680
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm
Little crash climbing the sandstone steps on the Devil's Punchbowl run near Hindhead last Saturday... I need to practice more... and use more revs!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PSCJsy8qWI
Well done. I always say... If you don't crash, you ain't trying hard enough!

http://www.adventuremoto.com.au
Your ride.. Your adventure!
SteveRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 09:47 AM   #1567
Firefight911
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 997
Laugh

After 105 pages of this thread, I am burry of vision. Not including the couple gazillion other pages on the other threads!! I looked but could not find.

As I am expecting my new hard parts from Kutch today or tomorrow, I figured it was the right time to put the Pivot Pegz on. That being said, is it the HP2 pegs that fit our X? I appreciate your help on this one. Once I know which ones to get, I'm off to the dealer to pick them up.

I'll do a phot essay so it can be included in the appropriate reference thread by GB.
Old 07-09-2008, 10:20 AM   #1568
smithy1
rally bike slut

Oddometer: 1,133
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bmwfan
... is it the HP2 pegs that fit our X?
This should answer your question (post 837)

Quote:
Well I fitted the HP2 Pivot Pegs to the XC today and they went on without a hassle. A clean and neat swap and with a two height adjustable fitting option. They look great and work a treat! Much more comfortable than the OEM part after a short ride to get used to them. I read in another post somewhere that with the pivot action of the pegs you will also save a bit of wear and tear on your boots.

Before...

After...

Pine Barons Enduro Riders Supporting south jersey enduro, hare scramble, and dual-sport riding since 1972! Please get involved and join a club. PM me for details.
smithy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 10:22 AM   #1569
Storm
Currently Between Crashes

Oddometer: 126
Number of Spokes in front wheel?

Little bit lazy of me, but it is raining hard outside- how many spokes/holes in the front wheel/hub?

I'm having my front wheel rebuilt after this:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=360479

and need to know so the wheelbuilder can quote me.

Thanks,

Storm
Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 10:36 AM   #1570
Firefight911
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 997
Thank you!! HP2 pegs it is!!!
Old 07-09-2008, 01:22 PM   #1571
kutch
That fell off where?

Oddometer: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bmwfan
As I am expecting my new hard parts from Kutch today or tomorrow, I figured it was the right time to put the Pivot Pegz on.
Tracking says it should be on your coast...!
Old 07-09-2008, 01:34 PM   #1572
Trailace
Dumb Ass

Oddometer: 1,150
Quote:
Little bit lazy of me, but it is raining hard outside- how many spokes/holes in the front wheel/hub?

Thanks,

Storm
This is the Thread for you or maybe not. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=145899
2007 G650X Challenge
2002 R1150GS ADV
Iron Butt # 7362
Trailace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 04:46 AM   #1573
Metteke
Beemer beat in me

Oddometer: 209
Has someone tried the Touratech carbon fibre alternator and clutch covers?

I have some really nasty dents and scratches on my alternator cover. I think due to transport in Poland, where we had several bikes lined up, and maybe a bikes peg has touched and scrached. Quit a bit of aluminium is gone... The cover itself is 170euro, the carbon TT part is 55 euros...
It is partially cosmetic for me as well, but the main purpose is really to prevent damage and leaks...

Whatever I say here is my opinion
Metteke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 08:59 PM   #1574
Trailace
Dumb Ass

Oddometer: 1,150
Quote:
* NEWS FLASH*

I have been a little concerned like other here about the filter on the XC.. Unifilter make the Pod filter but it is like a container that fills with grit, bugs and even stones. I went to Unifilter and sat down with their tech guy in an effort to sort the problem. Especially since I wanted to remove the airbox cover completely so my TT tank fitted more easily.

We have come up with a nifty 'Pre Filter' for the XC. It works a treat and will go into production within a week. I have some proto types to play with and here are the first pics... BTW it will fit under the outer air box cover but you will need to remove the inner cover to fit it. I have completely hacked my outer cover to accommodate the big arse tank...

The big tank now fits easily, and plenty of air gets under it. The pre filter is lightly oiled and sits over a cage that slots onto the frame of the pod filter that sits inside the airbox. The pre filter is a coarser foam but will make your filter last much longer... We now have a chamber encapsulated by foam before the air gets into your airbox. However flow charts show that it does not restrict air hardly at all, and once you have replaced your inner airbox cover with the pre filter, it works much better! The production units will be of a much higher quality finish.
So is there any word on the new filter?
2007 G650X Challenge
2002 R1150GS ADV
Iron Butt # 7362
Trailace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 10:20 PM   #1575
Cail
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Quote:

Thanks,

Storm
I'm pretty sure it's 36. If you are using other than stock wheels, you have to have someone drive the hubs for larger spokes. BMW used a non-standard spoke size. So you have to have the hub drilled for larger, normal offroad, spokes. Woody's can do it. See the above mentioned thread.