Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2008, 03:15 PM   #1711
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,243
Nice setup! Let's hope the rear subframe can handle the boxes. Touratech seems to think replacing it with a steel subframe is what it needs.
Old 08-13-2008, 05:24 PM   #1712
Skaife
--------------

Oddometer: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithy1
Best of all they are Xchallenge blue!
Hey Smithy, did you paint your tank Xchallenge white?
Skaife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 06:41 PM   #1713
kres
Arrrrrrrrr!

Oddometer: 1,197
Dude! Great idea! Please send pictures of the cap - cause it sounds like you just put two holes in it and ran a vent and a feed out/into the bottle. Which sounds so simple that it just can't be true.

On another note... When filling the tank, are ya'll topping it to approximately 1/2 inch to the top of the gas cap - or until the pump cuts off with the filler nozzle inserted and flush with the tank?

See, I'm getting about 100 miles before my light goes on... but I'm only putting 1.5-1.7 gallons into the tank - but that is topping it to approximately 1/2 inch to the top of the gas cap. The manual says that the light is supposed to light up somewhere near the reserve of .21 gallons. Which don't seem to add up.

So I can't tell if I'm overfilling the tank OR I have 1 full gallon of fuel left and could push on to ~120 - 130 miles easily. I've got an MSR on the bike but have yet to not chicken out and stop for gas around 110miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvestal
Had it mounted on the bike so why not hook it up? Some hose and some drilling.....

First test it emptied most of the fuel out of the MSR until the same level as the main tank. When I filled up, MSR was empty. I will monitor it better next time. I think there is a air leak around the vent tube and the cap. I will fix that and it should empty MSR first.

First test was on a DS ride mostly gravel and the road portion had a lot of 80mph trying to keep up with some bigger bikes. So my gas mileage was not that great and the low fuel light went on at 135 miles.

I think I can get 145 miles easy before the light turns on.

When I have the bags on next time, I am hooking up 2 MSRs in tandem!!

(missing rack bolt has been replaced)
Old 08-13-2008, 10:02 PM   #1714
c.vestal
Rally On

Oddometer: 4,815
Quote:
Originally Posted by kres
Dude! Great idea! Please send pictures of the cap - cause it sounds like you just put two holes in it and ran a vent and a feed out/into the bottle. Which sounds so simple that it just can't be true.
Yes that simple, 2 holes in the cap. You can see the small vent tube with the check valve in my pic.

FYI,
I fill my tank to just below the metal ring.
c.vestal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 06:31 AM   #1715
SteveRed
Adventure Mojo

Oddometer: 2,678
Quote:
I would like to add that a month or so ago my local EMS store had a couple of these 1.5 Liter SIGG bottles in stock (MSR bottles are only 1 Liter). Best of all they are Xchallenge blue! I bought 2!
The problem with the blue Sigg bottles, or any alu bottle with the white seal, is they are not fuel rated and the seals leak and become distorted by the fuel vapor and leaking. They might not do this if they are vented tho?? And possibly you could replace the white rubber seals with proper black rubber fuel seals?

http://www.adventuremoto.com.au
Your ride.. Your adventure!
SteveRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 06:33 PM   #1716
Ciampa
Baja 2010!

Oddometer: 466
I know, I'm working on it. What I really need to be riding right now is a beast.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeTheBeast
Dood! Now is not a good time!! You need to be riding that thing.

Good luck on Friday!
Ciampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 06:36 PM   #1717
Ciampa
Baja 2010!

Oddometer: 466
A rock jammed into the top when I low sided during Rally WV. It's busted pretty good. I have ordered two just to have a spare but I was hoping I could find one quicker.
-Ciampa

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacWestGS
If you weren't so far away,,,

You can't pinch off the damaged area? What busted?
Ciampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 08:53 PM   #1718
kutch
That fell off where?

Oddometer: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciampa
A rock jammed into the top when I low sided during Rally WV. It's busted pretty good. I have ordered two just to have a spare but I was hoping I could find one quicker.
-Ciampa

You saw THIS...Right?
Old 08-14-2008, 09:48 PM   #1719
PacWestGS
Life Is The Adventure!

Oddometer: 10,866
Wow, $1200 bucks for a radiator.

Ciampa, sorry to hear that it's unfixable and needs to be replaced.

As I said, I wish I was closer, as I'm not riding mine much at this time.

Get-r-fixed and get ready for the next selection... good luck!

The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. (Albert Einstein)
PacWestGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 03:28 AM   #1720
Sonymalc
I'm Just Here

Oddometer: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by kres
On another note... When filling the tank, are ya'll topping it to approximately 1/2 inch to the top of the gas cap - or until the pump cuts off with the filler nozzle inserted and flush with the tank?

See, I'm getting about 100 miles before my light goes on... but I'm only putting 1.5-1.7 gallons into the tank - but that is topping it to approximately 1/2 inch to the top of the gas cap. The manual says that the light is supposed to light up somewhere near the reserve of .21 gallons. Which don't seem to add up.

So I can't tell if I'm overfilling the tank OR I have 1 full gallon of fuel left and could push on to ~120 - 130 miles easily. I've got an MSR on the bike but have yet to not chicken out and stop for gas around 110miles.
The tank holds about 2.5 Gallons. The light on my bike comes on with 1.8 gallons used, that is topping off the bike to the absolute top, and any more gas would be coming out of the filler.

The best milage I have ever gotton was 71.2MPG. That was slow speed mountain paved roads. The fuel light came on right at 135 miles. So I could have pushed it to about 175 miles before breaking into the MSR bottle.

The average milage for me is about 50-55MPG commuting on it. So light comes on right around 100 miles.

The worst milage I got was 50MPG on a 450 mile day. The leg I got 50 on was all very high speed (80-100mph) dirt road following 1150 GSAs and 1200 GSAs. I got right at 125 miles when the bike died only 3 miles from town, MSR bottle got me the rest of the way.

So at the very least it sounds like you should be able to travel 125 miles on a tank. The reserve is like .7 gallons, I think BMW claims 1 gallon, but that is high. It really helps keeping it under 60 to gain the high milage. Anything over 60 it just seems to get 50MPG

FOLLOW ME ON MY SPOT

2007 BMW G650X Challenge
2004 Husqvarna TE250 now a 310
1997 BMW R1100RT
1997 Fantic Section 250
1972 Honda SL70
1990 Honda Transalp (sold)
Dreaming of that new GS1200

Lowrance iFINDER Expedition™ C
Lowrance XOG
Sonymalc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 08:49 AM   #1721
Trippy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 225
Wow great thread, thinking of changing the 1150 for an XC and there is so much on Adv Rider to read.
Trippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 10:29 AM   #1722
Bert Fox
Casual Adventurer

Oddometer: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trippy
Wow great thread, thinking of changing the 1150 for an XC and there is so much on Adv Rider to read.
I had an 98 1100GS and an 04 1150 GS ADV. I would not go back...
Bert
www.gnatsass.net
Find us on Facebook. GNATSASS
Bert Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 12:30 PM   #1723
mxchamp
Registered Lurker

Oddometer: 1,393
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trippy
I have both, I would suggest you keep them as well.

The 650 is great for what it's made for, but you just can't beat the 1150 for all day comfort.

My .02

J

Encouraging Serious Horseplay!
mxchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 12:34 PM   #1724
Bert Fox
Casual Adventurer

Oddometer: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxchamp
I have both, I would suggest you keep them as well.

The 650 is great for what it's made for, but you just can't beat the 1150 for all day comfort.

My .02

J
True enough. I find the LeMans a little more comfortable than the big trailies, but that's just me. The XCh seat wears a little thin at the end of the day!
Bert
www.gnatsass.net
Find us on Facebook. GNATSASS
Bert Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 01:22 PM   #1725
Trippy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 225
I can only afford the time, space and money for one bike. I'm not one for covering big miles, max 250 in a day. Want to spend more of 09 off road and if needed I'll trailer to events if they are more than a couple of hundred miles away. Slowly talking myself into it, big tank, risers, Loevince, renazco seat and some lighting for the night trails.
Trippy is offline   Reply With Quote