Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,317
Rob, have a look here:

http://www.wolfmanluggage.com/Tank/EnduroTank.html
Old 12-12-2007, 06:57 PM   #182
spawnx66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 293
The low seat can be ordered from any BMW dealer. I paid $240 for mine. I find it more comfortable also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailace
Where did you get the seat and what was the cost?
spawnx66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 07:20 PM   #183
PacWestGS
Life Is The Adventure!

Oddometer: 10,866
Now, where have I been, this thread is becoming interesting

Gaspipe, I'm looking forward to seeing your completed bike...

The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. (Albert Einstein)
PacWestGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 08:58 PM   #184
gaspipe
Wandering Soul

Oddometer: 11,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacWestGS
Now, where have I been, this thread is becoming interesting

Gaspipe, I'm looking forward to seeing your completed bike...
Pac,

I'm building this bike to take me into the remote places of South America for next winter. It's not going to be a race bike, but a more off an offroad touring buildup. A "poorman's" Touratech ride, but with long travel and plush suspension.......

I'm in the front fork now, working on adapting a set of long travel 45mm Shivers in place of the 45's on there now. Woody's is building me a superlaced Sun rim for the front. I'll do a rear before I go.

Between that Shiver fork and the Ohlins shock, I'm at 39+ inches of seat height I'll be like Gaston Rahier.

Scotts damper.

I have a full Remus exhaust on there now. It's a bit loud - louder than I would want to ride in the USA, expecially in forest lands. I need to re-evaluate the exhaust. Nice and snappy, though. The goal here isn't anything other than getting rid of the heat source of the convertor.

I swapped over to a cleanable foam air filter rig. Paper is good, but tough to clean or replace.

Gas is still the big question. I have a few ideas on how to get the 300+ mile range I'd like to have for SA. I might make a right rear tank like Max's, and also an integrated rack/tank for the rear. My hope is to get 22+ liters total. I have lots of time to work that out.

The OE seat seems good enough for me. I might chat with James about an all vinyl seat though, since I'll be living on this thing for 8-10 weeks.

The clutch lever/perch will be replaced with an ASV for strength (I do crash from time to time ). I'll have an extra clutch and throttle cable zip tied in place.

I defeated the lawyer approved clutch and sidestand switches. The OE rear fender has been hacked, turn signals relocated, and plate mount moved.

I think I'm going to use Moose handguards and Emig HD handlebar clamps on the bars. I like the bend of the OE Maguras - they are just liek the bars on the Super Enduro.

No heated grips or any of that stuff. I'm not sure the OE stator has a lot to give after powering the ignition, lights and fuel pump.

I adapted an MSR roadbook mount to hold the GPS.

I am not a fan of hard bags for offroad riding, so as usual, I'll fab some mild steel hoops to accomodate my Dirtbagz or some of Wolfman's Expedition bags for the big ride. The Wolfy Enduro tankbag and tank panniers will also work nicely. If it doesn't fit in that much capacity, it's not coming. I guarantee I'll give some stuff away as I go - if I don't use it often, I do without altogether.

There are a bunch of other small details to work out.

Anyway, I'll post up pics in a thread and/or here when I am finalizing assembly and know what works and what I don't like, or I totally FUBAR'd. I'm thinking about taking a ~3k mile run through some ugly roads I know in Mexico in Feb/Mar to 'field test' it.

Hair of the dog....
gaspipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 09:24 PM   #185
PacWestGS
Life Is The Adventure!

Sounds good,

I'm building a Baja race bike, we'll compare notes. I'm liking the idea of extra front travel so let me know how the Shivers work out, and the Scott's SS.

The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. (Albert Einstein)
Old 12-13-2007, 05:40 AM   #186
GB
Mod Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaspipe
The clutch lever/perch will be replaced with an ASV for strength.
Could you give us more info on this? pics or links?

Gaspipe,

You will be the X Challenge long distance conversion pioneer Please give us a blow by blow pictorial report when you're ready, maybe start your own thread so it's easier to find for future X noobs who want to follow in your footsteps.
Old 12-13-2007, 08:26 AM   #187
Matttys
Matt the Balloon Guy

Oddometer: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
pics or links?
+1, that's what every one is waiting for
Old 12-13-2007, 08:45 AM   #188
Max Kool
Xtankteam™

Oddometer: 3,228
ASV Clutch levers:

Max Kool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 08:52 AM   #189
GB
Mod Squad

Thanks Max.. those ASV levers are straight bolt ons? (minus the safety swtich).. Is there a specific model for the X? They look very interesting.
Old 12-13-2007, 09:41 AM   #190
Venture
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 213
Talking about levers and ASV...

Has anyone replace the stock levers, not the perch just the levers - clutch and brake - for two finger and/or better quality levers?
Old 12-13-2007, 12:56 PM   #191
SteveRed
Adventure Mojo

Oddometer: 2,680
I'm Exhausted!!

Would anyone be interested in an UNUSED LeoVince exhaust for a G650X? I am so sick of waiting for this thing I might buy a Remus or Akroprivic from my dealer and sell the LeoVince on when and if it arrives!? Brand new and $700 shipped anywhere in OZ.

Steve

http://www.adventuremoto.com.au
Your ride.. Your adventure!
SteveRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 02:17 PM   #192
PacWestGS
Life Is The Adventure!

Scott's/Ohlins Steering Damper for XCH (X-Series)

I just got off the phone with Dan Kyle (from Kyle Racing) and he said if he was able to get 25-orders (even if he only sold 15 on initial buy) Scott's Steering Dampers could be made to fit the X-Challenge as a complete bolt-on kit. Estimated price would be not more than $440.00 and maybe less if there was enough interest...

What say you???

Let me know back here if we have enough interest to make it happen...

And oh, same thing goes for getting Ohlins to make a fork set with 12" or so of travel, but the number might need to be a little higher than 25...

PWGS

Old 12-13-2007, 02:20 PM   #193
spawnx66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 293
I have the damper on another bike but I would definitely be interested in the mount kit! Not sure if that helps you or not?

Quote:
I just got off the phone with Dan Kyle (from Kyle Racing) and he said if he was able to get 25-orders (even if he only sold 15 on initial buy) Scott's Steering Dampers could be made to fit the X-Challenge as a complete bolt-on kit. Estimated price would be not more than $440.00 and maybe less if there was enough interest...

What say you???

PWGS
spawnx66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 02:38 PM   #194
GB
Mod Squad

PWGS: Re: Steering damper

It depends on how the thing mounts to the bike.

SteveRed:

Wait for the Staintune! It sure is taking a heck of a long time for your Leo Vince to come from Germany, did they ship it by sea or air?
Old 12-13-2007, 02:56 PM   #195
Ian640
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
Thumb

Quote:

What say you???

And oh, same thing goes for getting Ohlins to make a fork set with 12" or so of travel, but the number might need to be a little higher than 25...

PWGS
Be interested in a bolt-on damper kit. Why not start a poll?

Thanks.
Ian640 is offline   Reply With Quote