Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2007, 03:56 PM   #196
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,382
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Kool
ASV Clutch levers:
Max: I'm very interested in getting adjustable levers, I checked out the ASV website.. any idea which ones would fit the X?
Old 12-13-2007, 08:22 PM   #197
Sonymalc
I'm Just Here

Oddometer: 441
I would be interested in both the steering dampner and longer suspension travel. But thats alot of money for me right now and is something I would need some lead time on, so no imediate help but I would be a buyer.

FOLLOW ME ON MY SPOT

2007 BMW G650X Challenge
2004 Husqvarna TE250 now a 310
1997 BMW R1100RT
1997 Fantic Section 250
1972 Honda SL70
1990 Honda Transalp (sold)
Dreaming of that new GS1200

Lowrance iFINDER Expedition™ C
Lowrance XOG
Sonymalc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 08:32 PM   #198
PacWestGS
Life Is The Adventure!

Oddometer: 10,866
Only 21 more people to go.

Talking with Dan, he said it would be complete kit that would be custom made to fit the X-Series Top Triple clamp. I'm not sure where the anchor bolt would be or if that would need to be welded on.

All's he wanted was some picture of the head stock, handlebars and triple clamp. (Which I'll provide to him)

If someone who's doing their own fab work has a unit already made, having those pictures would help.

The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. (Albert Einstein)
PacWestGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 08:59 PM   #199
Firefight911
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 997
Interested in teh damper. Not interested in the suspension legs.
Old 12-13-2007, 09:31 PM   #200
SteveRed
Adventure Mojo

Oddometer: 2,681
Ohlins and other bits

I spoke with Steve Cramer from Ohlins Australia... They are developing/building a new Ohlins here in OZ with twin pistons to manage the issues with bottoming out. This will definately be different to the BM633 shock which has been developed for the Xmoto. It will utilise PDS technology which Ohlins originally developed for the KTM race bikes. He has built one shock for BMW to test with... He is building another for Brysons and is ordering the parts to build one for me. When this comes in I will get the guys from Race Tech to rebuild the front Forks for me as well.

I have had a bit of trouble fitting the Touratech tank on the GX... It is one of the test tanks so I am talking with Robin from Aqualine to sort any minor issues out.

I have just fitted the SW Motech rack onto the bike... It is far superior IMO to the BMW rack and has the quick lock system for attaching a very nice/wide luggage rack or pack on and off the bike.

http://www.adventuremoto.com.au
Your ride.. Your adventure!
SteveRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 09:56 PM   #201
Cail
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaspipe
Pac,

I'm in the front fork now, working on adapting a set of long travel 45mm Shivers in place of the 45's on there now. Woody's is building me a superlaced Sun rim for the front. I'll do a rear before I go.
We have a suspension guy here in town that is trying to figure out what to do with that non-servicable damper rod. That chepy damper rod is our achilles heal right now as we have already ruined one. Stock fork travel is 10.6". Marzocchi sells a full works 45mm fork and a 45mm Shiver works kit. But they are made to work with an approx. 12" shock. I wonder if you can just do a shortening kit of approx. 1.5" to make it work in conjunction with the Ohlins rear shock.

Quote:

I have a full Remus exhaust on there now. It's a bit loud - louder than I would want to ride in the USA, expecially in forest lands. I need to re-evaluate the exhaust. Nice and snappy, though. The goal here isn't anything other than getting rid of the heat source of the convertor.
Apparently the Yosh TEC spark arrestor insert fits the Remus and quiets it down. There is also a company in San Fran that's making an insert. I'll try to find that tomorrow.

Quote:

The clutch lever/perch will be replaced with an ASV for strength (I do crash from time to time ). I'll have an extra clutch and throttle cable zip tied in place.
That stock clutch cable is real big, much larger than a standard dirt bike cable. We're having trouble cross referencing to see which perch and lever will work. Any ideas?
Old 12-13-2007, 09:57 PM   #202
gaspipe
Wandering Soul

Oddometer: 11,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
Max: I'm very interested in getting adjustable levers, I checked out the ASV website.. any idea which ones would fit the X?
I haven't fiddled with the brake lever yet. BMW had a weird Brembo on there. I may fit a Nissin master so I can get around that, but I'll have to use a hydraulic brake light switch.

On the clutch, the generic ASV should be fine. I'll fit one up over the weekend - but it is a hotstart one with an extra lever that I'll never need. You'll need a different mirror mount too, as the ASV's done have those built in.

Hit eBay - ASV dumps all the blems and remans there for cheap. I've bought tons of them for as little as $10.

Hair of the dog....
gaspipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 10:06 PM   #203
gaspipe
Wandering Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cail
We have a suspension guy here in town that is trying to figure out what to do with that non-servicable damper rod. That chepy damper rod is our achilles heal right now as we have already ruined one. Stock fork travel is 10.6". Marzocchi sells a full works 45mm fork and a 45mm Shiver works kit. But they are made to work with an approx. 12" shock. I wonder if you can just do a shortening kit of approx. 1.5" to make it work in conjunction with the Ohlins rear shock.
I'm working on that. The cheapo damper rod is what turned me off the fork. I am working on using a 45mm Shiver from my WR250 to get a better fork up front, and reducing the ride height a bit will be the least of my worries so far. I'm tearing into that to what what I can mix and match to get a good compromise.

It's be easy to lower a works Shiver, but the problem is the axle clamps that BMW spec'd. They are different than any other 'Zoke I've seen.

Quote:
Apparently the Yosh TEC spark arrestor insert fits the Remus and quiets it down. There is also a company in San Fran that's making an insert. I'll try to find that tomorrow.
Excellent.

Quote:
That stock clutch cable is real big, much larger than a standard dirt bike cable. We're having trouble cross referencing to see which perch and lever will work. Any ideas?
I'm looking at making a thinner ID cable to work. The OE clutch perch is junk, and that's what I am afraid of breaking.

Hair of the dog....
Old 12-13-2007, 10:07 PM   #204
Cail
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:

On the clutch, the generic ASV should be fine. I'll fit one up over the weekend - but it is a hotstart one with an extra lever that I'll never need. You'll need a different mirror mount too, as the ASV's done have those built in.

Hit eBay - ASV dumps all the blems and remans there for cheap. I've bought tons of them for as little as $10.
Are you sure the standard ASV will fit? We tried numerous perches and levers, not an ASV, and the actual clutch cable and sheath were too big.
Old 12-13-2007, 10:26 PM   #205
Cail
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
I'm working on that. The cheapo damper rod is what turned me off the fork. I am working on using a 45mm Shiver from my WR250 to get a better fork up front, and reducing the ride height a bit will be the least of my worries so far. I'm tearing into that to what what I can mix and match to get a good compromise.
We're going top try some to modify some standard Shiver internals (off a Gas Gas I believe) first.

Quote:
It's be easy to lower a works Shiver, but the problem is the axle clamps that BMW spec'd. They are different than any other 'Zoke I've seen.
If that doesn't work then we'll just use the whole Gas Gas Shiver with Gas Gas, hub, wheel, front brake assembly. Then it would also be easier to mount a standard fender and mx type number plate as we don't need a headlight for racing.

Quote:
I'm looking at making a thinner ID cable to work. The OE clutch perch is junk, and that's what I am afraid of breaking.
Let me know how this goes.

We are slowly running out of time. Our race is in 3 weeks! The next one on the BMW won't be until March. I'm sure we will learn a lot in Parker and will probable change setups 3 or 4 times this coming year. But it is real cool racing something noone else has. Not only do you race it but you also have the satisfaction in knowing you actually built it. And not just with a bunch of mail order parts, because there aren't any.
Old 12-13-2007, 10:35 PM   #206
gaspipe
Wandering Soul

Quote:
If that doesn't work then we'll just use the whole Gas Gas Shiver with Gas Gas, hub, wheel, front brake assembly. Then it would also be easier to mount a standard fender and mx type number plate as we don't need a headlight for racing.
I reckon the Husky fork I'm working with is the same as the gasgas. I am really hoping to not have to go so far as to not make a steering stem and swap front ends. For me, there is a very real scenario where I don't want to have too many one off parts - I'm going to SA on this bike and that stuff always has a way of biting you on the butt.

I hope you'll update us on how you do with the bike.

Have you swapped to an Ohlins, and if so, have you measured the wheel travel with the shock?

I made a piece of aluminum angle to mount a standard fender. I'm going to use a UFO replica I had on the shelf for my KTM550.

On the cable, I think we might just get away by swapping the ferrule on the end of the sheath to work with the ASV perch. I won't have time to monkey with it until the weekend.

Hair of the dog....
Old 12-13-2007, 10:37 PM   #207
PacWestGS
Life Is The Adventure!

Oddometer: 10,866
Quote:
But it is real cool racing something noone else has. Not only do you race it but you also have the satisfaction in knowing you actually built it. And not just with a bunch of mail order parts, because there aren't any.
Oh so true

Each one of these bikes is a "One Up" specialty...

I'm following closely

The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. (Albert Einstein)
PacWestGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 10:44 PM   #208
Cail
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
I reckon the Husky fork I'm working with is the same as the gasgas. I am really hoping to not have to go so far as to not make a steering stem and swap front ends. For me, there is a very real scenario where I don't want to have too many one off parts - I'm going to SA on this bike and that stuff always has a way of biting you on the butt.
As a last resort we'll just slid the Gas Gas forks into the BMW triples, they should be real similar in outside diameter. We haven't had the GG forks inthe same shop as the BMW triples yet. But we're hoping they would just slid in place. But like I said that is last resort. We really want to swap something into the BMW's fork. It should be doable.

Quote:
Have you swapped to an Ohlins, and if so, have you measured the wheel travel with the shock?
Our shock came in Monday. We have it mounted but haven't measured travel yet.

Quote:
I made a piece of aluminum angle to mount a standard fender. I'm going to use a UFO replica I had on the shelf for my KTM550.
I'm pretty sure the BMW guys want us to run the stock fender and headlight shell. We're dirt bike guys and want it to look like a dirt bike, so we're still in a little bit of a discussion over the whole thing. So if we had to run the GG fork then we would have to run the mx fender and number plate.

Let me know what yo come up with on the clutch cable.
Old 12-13-2007, 11:09 PM   #209
X-Rated
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveRed

I have just fitted the SW Motech rack onto the bike... It is far superior IMO to the BMW rack and has the quick lock system for attaching a very nice/wide luggage rack or pack on and off the bike.
Steve, please - we need photos, photos, photos!

Pick up my G650X in Wollongong tomorrow. Will be delivered with headlight guard, hand protector kit, low seat, rear carry rack and brackets, rear luggage roll (whatever a 'roll' is!), 14 tooth front sprocket, foam air filter, rim locks and knobbies. All for FREE as part of package. They have also installed a BMW accessory socket for my GPS. Good package deal! Ride-away price was very good, too.

I ordered a slip-on from Pipemasters in Brisbane. Should be delivered in mid-January.

Cheers...

Al
Old 12-14-2007, 03:21 AM   #210
shardzero
I have a bike.....

Oddometer: 486
He Steve Red, so the Australian Ohlins will be different? What issues are there with bottoming out on the US shock? What price were you quoted for the Ohlins PDS part.
shardzero is offline   Reply With Quote