Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2009, 03:01 AM   #2866
Max Kool
Xtankteam™

Oddometer: 3,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jester
A new bucket actually Looks like I need to go and buy a few more as I already have an order for another.
How much would you need for one inc p&p to the Netherlands? Fixing it to the stock cowl I can do myself (either velcro or three simple bolts).

Max
Max Kool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 04:59 AM   #2867
SteveRed
Adventure Mojo

Oddometer: 2,681
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnydanger
mxchamp: I'm running a TKC 80 front with a Dunlop 606 rear. The 606 are great for the money and work well on the street too. I have to say the TKC 80 on the front has been great as well. I've got about 6,000 miles on it now including lots of rough offroad stuff and it still has a good 25-30% life left. Pretty remarkable and it's excellent on the road too. I'm going to a full 606 front/rear setup next but I don't have high hopes for the street manners of the 606 front.

I think the TKC 80 front / 606 rear setup is a great compromise on/offroad setup.
606 front and rear is a great combo for dirt and street IMO. I have had no problems with them to date. Very good grip and wear. Captain Spiros also runs with this combo.

http://www.adventuremoto.com.au
Your ride.. Your adventure!
SteveRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 09:44 AM   #2868
Geoffster
Fool - Born This Way

Oddometer: 1,368
Leo Vince issues

I recently installed a Leo Vince on my Xcountry, am having issues with it, and am looking for help/advice.

Because the Leo Vince's rear mount involves an arm that mounts on an isolating bushing on the subframe (see illustration below) ...

... the first time I rode the bike after installation, I detected the smell of something burning:

(Photo taken after realigning headpipe.)

So, my procedure has become:
1) Align the exhaust system at home;
2) Ride hard (like a Xchallenge, not a Xcountry! LOL);
3) Inspect at each water/photo stop;
4) Curse LOUDLY because the system has sagged AGAIN, and the headpipe has AGAIN gotten dangerously close to the precious coolant hose;
5) Ride home with high anxiety hoping not to have coolant gushing onto my left boot or see the overtemp light on the dash.
Since I usually ride alone in places that take me 10+ miles from the highway, this is making riding decidedly UN-fun. Yesterday, after high anxiety for 100+ miles, I reinstalled the bulky, heavy, factory muffler -- which is supported at two points on the subframe -- until I arrive at a solution.

Any advice/solutions/talismans will be met with the greatest of appreciation!

(BTW, after you look at the clearance on your bike you'll be wondering -- as I do -- why BMW didn't use a metal tube at this location. It's a show-stopper waiting to happen, even with the factory system. And notice that where the front hose under the radiator goes over the headpipe, there's a short, metal tube. Makes me think my father was right about engineers ...)

Consider this before arguing with me:
You're an idiot if you argue with a fool!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/geoffster/sets/

Geoffster screwed with this post 04-19-2009 at 12:30 PM
Geoffster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 01:39 PM   #2869
Sonymalc
I'm Just Here

Oddometer: 441
Quote:
mxchamp: I'm running a TKC 80 front with a Dunlop 606 rear. The 606 are great for the money and work well on the street too. I have to say the TKC 80 on the front has been great as well. I've got about 6,000 miles on it now including lots of rough offroad stuff and it still has a good 25-30% life left. Pretty remarkable and it's excellent on the road too. I'm going to a full 606 front/rear setup next but I don't have high hopes for the street manners of the 606 front.

I think the TKC 80 front / 606 rear setup is a great compromise on/offroad setup.
I think the 608 makes a better front tire on the x-ch then the 606, But keep the 606 rear. JMO.

And as far as the exhaust issue in the last post. If you want to sell your factory exhaust muffler when you fix that let me know.

FOLLOW ME ON MY SPOT

2007 BMW G650X Challenge
2004 Husqvarna TE250 now a 310
1997 BMW R1100RT
1997 Fantic Section 250
1972 Honda SL70
1990 Honda Transalp (sold)
Dreaming of that new GS1200

Lowrance iFINDER Expedition™ C
Lowrance XOG
Sonymalc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 02:03 PM   #2870
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 3,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffster
I recently installed a Leo Vince on my Xcountry, am having issues with it, and am looking for help/advice.

Any advice/solutions/talismans will be met with the greatest of appreciation!
Geoff--Not really a solution but maybe a stopgap would be to wrap the radiator hose with a heat resistant strap from Andystrapz . Hold the strap in place with a hose clamp. The strap would act sorta like an oven mitt for your hose. For that matter, couldn't you use a strip cut from a silicone potholder (like this one) and a hose clamp?
Old 04-19-2009, 05:09 PM   #2871
satur9
angry black guy

Oddometer: 477
since its an aftermarket exhaust. bmw probably wont help. you could get some heat shield wrap. or cut hose and put a metal elbow in there. the hose has already been weakened. and wrapping it wont allow a quick easy visual inspection.you can also use exhaust strapping to make another hanger were the lower factory mount was to prevent sag.
satur9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 07:37 PM   #2872
mxchamp
Registered Lurker

Oddometer: 1,445
Thumb

Quote:

Thanks for the info!

Encouraging Serious Horseplay!
mxchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 04:27 AM   #2873
werner747
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Thumb Another screen option

Just another screen option:

If you can manage to find an old Dakar screen(pre 2004), with some cutting, and two aluminium support bars, with U-bolts. This realy works well, and looks factory fitted!

Original & after cutting

side profile

Fitted front profile

Side profile

werner747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 01:46 PM   #2874
HP2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 249
Hi,
upper half F650 Dakar
lower half my own design

HP2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 03:41 PM   #2875
mt21
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Hi, has anyone tried the Power FRK on your Xc?

www.powerfrkusa.net
mt21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 10:34 AM   #2876
Flo_Evans
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 420
If I had to do it again i would not get the BMW handguards. They are pretty tough, the problem is they are very flat with the front of the bike so it you do hit something they really tweek instead of more streamlined gaurds that seem to deflect hits better.

I just got a set of Karoo 2's on her. Only had the chance to take them through a few abandoned lots but they are 100% better than the saharas in mud. Going on a real ride this weekend to properly test.

I also bought a wolfman front fender toolkit/tube bag. Did not like it at all. It would probably be fine, but with a tube up there the front fender bounced up and down like crazy. Really distracting.

Flo_Evans screwed with this post 04-22-2009 at 10:46 AM
Flo_Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 10:36 AM   #2877
Motor-110
...respect my Authoritah!

Oddometer: 597
Hey Flo_Evans

What is that tail bag you have on the XCh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flo_Evans
If I had to do it again i would not get the BMW handguards. They are pretty tough, the problem is they are very flat with the front of the bike so it you do hit something they really tweek instead of more streamlined gaurds that seem to deflect hits better.

I just got a set of Karoo 2's on her. Only had the chance to take them through a few abandoned lots but they are 100% better than the saharas in mud. Going on a real ride this weekend to properly test.
Old 04-22-2009, 10:55 AM   #2878
Flo_Evans
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor-110
What is that tail bag you have on the XCh?
It's just a wolfman dry duffel.
Old 04-22-2009, 11:04 AM   #2879
Motor-110
...respect my Authoritah!

Oddometer: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flo_Evans
It's just a wolfman dry duffel.
Thanks. How is it for day-to-day storage and use on a daily-driver-bike? Looking for something with quick and easy access several times a day and can hold at least 20 liter or more.
Old 04-22-2009, 11:11 AM   #2880
Flo_Evans
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor-110
Thanks. How is it for day-to-day storage and use on a daily-driver-bike? Looking for something with quick and easy access several times a day and can hold at least 20 liter or more.
Not so good! It's a roll top style dry bag so it's kind of a pain to open/close. I keep my clothes and sleeping bag in it.

I also use a small backpack for quick access in addition to the tank bag and panniers. Warning though! the tank panniers are NOT waterproof. The zippers leak. Be careful with deep creek crossings/heavy rain!