Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2008, 03:48 PM   #361
Crud
Rider of Many Things

Oddometer: 788
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterOx
I posted my same experience in the Threadfest. I contacted TT-USA and they have had others experience this as well...but that was the last I heard from them on the subject.

I won't lie...I'm no mechanical ace and taking a dremel to the sloppy welds of the frame tubes intimidates me...but I may do it anyway
Just my .02,
You would be messing around with the frame of the bike and the welds that hold that frame together. God forbid the bike did break and you really hurt yourself, you would also be dealing with the fact that there is no way BMW would honor there warranty and fix the bike for you either.

It sounds to me that screwing around with welds and the possibility of having a broken bike someday is a lot worse and more expensive then a broken radiator, that is if the touratech part that dosnt fit your bike will even protect your radiator in the first place.
Old 01-04-2008, 04:29 PM   #362
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,843
+1, I'd leave well enough alone and I'm not really sure that TT rad guard is needed if you just drop the bike on the trail here and there..

If you just want to install it, I'd mess around with the TT rad guad to make it fit around the welds, and would not mess around with the welds on the frame. Grinding down welds will at some point weaken the weld.
Old 01-04-2008, 04:44 PM   #363
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
Ok, can one of you guys post a picture of the offending "weld". If any of you guys have actually welded anything you'll know that grinding is not the end of the weld. Ever heard of Penetration
Old 01-04-2008, 05:08 PM   #364
WaterOx
Farklevergnügen

Oddometer: 78
GX welds

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft
Ok, can one of you guys post a picture of the offending "weld". If any of you guys have actually welded anything you'll know that grinding is not the end of the weld. Ever heard of Penetration

Note the scratch marks below the zip tie on the weld goober where the TT Rad guard wanted to clamp down...not sure how much filing/grinding it would take for it to fit.

Obviously I'm not going to risk injury or frame damage just to get a Touratrinket to fit...still, I appreciate the concern from you FFs

Note: the TT part wraps around the frame tubes - hence the fat welds make the tube "diameter" too large. See the TT part photo here
http://www.touratech-usa.com/shop/me...49-0540-02.jpg
WaterOx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 05:17 PM   #365
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
Wow, thats one hell of a bead I myself wouldn't be afraid of grinding a bit off the top to make it fit. I honestly can't see how the bike will fall apart from a bit of grinding. That part is really stought for what it is, don't you think?

I'm betting that the bars will add some strength, but I think the they're are ugly as sin anyway

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterOx

Note the scratch marks below the zip tie on the weld goober where the TT Rad guard wanted to clamp down...not sure how much filing/grinding it would take for it to fit.

Obviously I'm not going to risk injury or frame damage just to get a Touratrinket to fit...still, I appreciate the concern from you FFs

Note: the TT part wraps around the frame tubes - hence the fat welds make the tube "diameter" too large. See the TT part photo here
http://www.touratech-usa.com/shop/me...49-0540-02.jpg
Old 01-05-2008, 01:50 AM   #366
SteveRed
Adventure Mojo

Oddometer: 2,681
HYDE products

Has anyone else come across HYDE products for the G650X and HP2 before now? Some interesting stuff, most of which I would gladly do without, but at least someone else is producing AM parts for the bike... http://www.hydedevelopments.co.za/pr...nture/bmw.html

http://www.adventuremoto.com.au
Your ride.. Your adventure!
SteveRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 01:52 AM   #367
SteveRed
Adventure Mojo

Oddometer: 2,681
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Kool
Sorry Steve, what you are saying is not true.

When you look at it from a strength/weight perspective, the hollow shape is stronger that's true. But a solid shape with the same outer dimensions as the hollow one will always be stronger on an absolute scale. I think you are mixing these up. (ever seen a hollow pry bar? ;-) ) And a rectangle shaped tube is stronger than a round tube in the direction square to the shortest side.

And when it comes to withstanding the abuse from impacts (dropping your bike for example), nothing beats a massive bar or rod.
Ye well... You probably know more about this stuff than me Max. I admit I was repeating what my stainless & aluminium fabricator was telling me and I may have been out of context with my statement.

http://www.adventuremoto.com.au
Your ride.. Your adventure!
SteveRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 02:06 AM   #368
Max Kool
Xtankteam™

Oddometer: 3,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveRed
Has anyone else come across HYDE products for the G650X and HP2 before now? Some interesting stuff, most of which I would gladly do without, but at least someone else is producing AM parts for the bike... http://www.hydedevelopments.co.za/pr...nture/bmw.html
Their add-on sumpguard looks pretty good. It protects the waterpump and the magneto cover, while still staying sleek.

I can live without the rest. The Xchallenge does not need frame or swingarm protectors. Remember that when you fit these addon protectors sand and mud can get behind them. Which in turn still can damage the paint....And you can't rinse the sand away that gets between the protector and the frame.
Max Kool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 09:36 AM   #369
Venture
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 214
Cycra Handguard Mounts

Has anyone tried the Cycra triple clamp handguard mounts on the Xch?

How abot the solution mount?

I am thinking of mounts that leave more room for that long banjo bolt on the ABS bikes....

The triple clamp mount should be pretty clean.... not sure about the height of the BMW bars - if it is too high for this mount option.

The Cycra Solution mount also moves the mount away from the brake perch, but I am afraid it will block the instument cluster and/or interfere with the ignition....
Old 01-05-2008, 10:00 AM   #370
swanslash5
Adventure Lurking

Oddometer: 46
How about a pic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Hugger
I bought a generic MX stainless steel header pipe heat shield from my local bike shop, cost about R150 ($20). It fitted exactly in the space between the frame and the carbon fiber heatshield on the pipe. It remains cool enough to touch with my bare hand. Also blends in nicely with the rest of the bike... Works like a charm!

Hey Dirthugger
Do you have any pix of your heatshield installed with the LeoVince pipe?
swanslash5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 01:12 PM   #371
Sonymalc
I'm Just Here

Oddometer: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venture
Has anyone tried the Cycra triple clamp handguard mounts on the Xch?

How abot the solution mount?

I am thinking of mounts that leave more room for that long banjo bolt on the ABS bikes....

The triple clamp mount should be pretty clean.... not sure about the height of the BMW bars - if it is too high for this mount option.

The Cycra Solution mount also moves the mount away from the brake perch, but I am afraid it will block the instument cluster and/or interfere with the ignition....
A friend of mine put a set on his x-ch, he had to modify(= grinding flat) the triple clamp to make them fit right, I would not suggest it myself. Mabye if you could use some round tube spacers it might work.

FOLLOW ME ON MY SPOT

2007 BMW G650X Challenge
2004 Husqvarna TE250 now a 310
1997 BMW R1100RT
1997 Fantic Section 250
1972 Honda SL70
1990 Honda Transalp (sold)
Dreaming of that new GS1200

Lowrance iFINDER Expedition™ C
Lowrance XOG
Sonymalc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 03:14 PM   #372
Metteke
Beemer beat in me

Oddometer: 209
Screen is not to bad to protect any rally instruments agains rain and dirt...
But not in blue, yikes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveRed

Metteke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 07:09 AM   #373
DANRIDE
A Weeble

Oddometer: 598
Just set the suspenders for fat boy duty & heading out for day 2 of break in. No time to pick up a tank bag today. I guess I'll find all those hidden pockets in the First gear jacket. I'll be happy I have to stand all day work tomorrow. Stock seat = Butt cheek blues

Old 01-06-2008, 10:55 AM   #374
Steady
Flogster

Oddometer: 281
What this bike really needs is a decent chain guard. The stock plastic one is a waste of time. Any recommendations? Anything but Touratech please, non existent here at the moment I'm afraid.
have thoughts of running away with, you know at some point it will end in tears but you just have to come back for more, at times it makes no sense but when you get down and dirty who cares about sense." - scotsmun
Steady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 11:17 AM   #375
Hoots Magoon
Hey ya'll, Watch this!

Oddometer: 1,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady
What this bike really needs is a decent chain guard. The stock plastic one is a waste of time. Any recommendations? Anything but Touratech please, non existent here at the moment I'm afraid.
From the threadfest:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=2454

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=2460

Other than this I am of no help.

Hoots Magoon is offline   Reply With Quote