Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2010, 12:39 PM   #4216
Snuffy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-Twin View Post
Hey all,

I have decided to put on a new muffler before I take the Xchallenge up to DynoJet next month. I am shopping around for a Leo Vince slipon. Any info on who has a good deal right now? I would like to get this quickly. I am about to go do a search in Vendors, thanks for any info.

Rob
So far the best price that i have found is from Renazco. $341.10, free ship. If you find a Leo any cheaper, let me know. Time to get that heat sink off the scoot.
Old 12-28-2010, 01:14 PM   #4217
AZ-Twin
Dusty and Thirsty

Oddometer: 1,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffy View Post
So far the best price that i have found is from Renazco. $341.10, free ship. If you find a Leo any cheaper, let me know. Time to get that heat sink off the scoot.
Indeed, I was on the phone with James today.
2011 North up the CDR
Sierra Vista AZ to Paonia CO and Back through Moab UT

AZ-Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 01:48 PM   #4218
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer: 1,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by snooker View Post
For the Leo Vince, I see that TreMX.com still has them for $347 & free ship, like they have for the last year or so. Somebody posted about a month ago about a $200 deal but don't know where...
err, I meant $300

FindMeSpot ~~~ Spotwalla Baja Trip ~~~ Neduro Did Dakar!
snooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 06:56 PM   #4219
darrendeep6
BMW Dirty Dozen

Oddometer: 273
So everyone knows there are two versions of the LeoVince exhaust. The newer ones have the second CF heatshield in the middle of the pipe. The first gen didn't and a few people were burning their legs. I opted to have my dealer order me a new one from LV. Just a FYI
darrendeep6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 07:32 PM   #4220
mike,p
WELL LIT ADVENTURER

Oddometer: 750
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrendeep6 View Post
So everyone knows there are two versions of the LeoVince exhaust. The newer ones have the second CF heatshield in the middle of the pipe. The first gen didn't and a few people were burning their legs. I opted to have my dealer order me a new one from LV. Just a FYI
Hey Darren, congrats on the X. I think your gonna love it.
mike,p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 07:33 PM   #4221
AZ-Twin
Dusty and Thirsty

Oddometer: 1,317
Good to know, my stock pipe has plastic burnt on it right where the muffler connects to the header, the plastic is burnt off my cheap joe rocket pants. I was going to make an aluminum heat shield for that part of the pipe if necessary, I hope this new one with the shield fixes that problem.
2011 North up the CDR
Sierra Vista AZ to Paonia CO and Back through Moab UT

AZ-Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 07:56 PM   #4222
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffy View Post
If you just open the end up a bit then the heat drops to normal exhaust temps except where the cat is mounted, but it cools down very quickly as well. Have the header pipe ceramic coated and it is cooler again. The weight loss would be nice though.

xronly
Cruz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 10:01 AM   #4223
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer: 1,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrendeep6 View Post
To be clear, you are talking about these 2 heat shields - specifically the one on the left? It comes with 2 special hose clamps so you can place it wherever you want. Actually a 3rd one would be nice, I've still burned the ends of my pants legs that flop around, but nothing like the heat from the BMW cat... If it doesn't come with the 2nd one I think you can contact LV and they will send you one - nothing special about the pipe itself, just 2 clamps and a carbon fiber shield. This was what I got from TreMx.com in March '10:

Current look:

FindMeSpot ~~~ Spotwalla Baja Trip ~~~ Neduro Did Dakar!
snooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 11:33 PM   #4224
darrendeep6
BMW Dirty Dozen

Quote:
Originally Posted by snooker View Post
To be clear, you are talking about these 2 heat shields - specifically the one on the left? It comes with 2 special hose clamps so you can place it wherever you want. Actually a 3rd one would be nice, I've still burned the ends of my pants legs that flop around, but nothing like the heat from the BMW cat... If it doesn't come with the 2nd one I think you can contact LV and they will send you one - nothing special about the pipe itself, just 2 clamps and a carbon fiber shield. This was what I got from TreMx.com in March '10:

Current look:
Good info for anyone that wants to upgrade. Pretty cool of LV to provide it to people that already bought. I didn't realize it attached that way as it's still in the box.
Old 12-29-2010, 11:38 PM   #4225
darrendeep6
BMW Dirty Dozen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike,p View Post
Hey Darren, congrats on the X. I think your gonna love it.
Thanks Mike! My girl was mad at Owen initially, but i told her it wasn't his fault. The real culprit will remain infamous
Old 01-01-2011, 04:09 PM   #4226
mikeysduck
Slow Ride to Nowhere

Oddometer: 206
I have decided to keep my X Challenge. I think the motor is the king of the thumpers. It's time to address some issues, on the cheap. I have read through the thread. My budget is 1K, and 250 of that is going in to Mefo tires. Looks like 350 to 500 for the fork springs and re-valve. The forks are simply unacceptable. I am not opposed to waiting for used parts to show up.

Help: I am looking for the pattern for the peg and kick stand guards offered by one of the inmates. I would like these cut out of stainless plate.

I would like a real shock. Has any one tried to fit a KTM, non linkage, shock to an X bike? Is there a Japanese shock that would bolt in? I understand the rising rate linkage shocks would need to be re-valved / springed to be in the ball park. I would like to lower the bike by an inch front and rear.

I got the recommended YZ shift lever. It fits much like the stock shifter only it sticks out from the case an extra 1/2 inch. The stock shifter is so short I have trouble getting my size 12, Tech 8 boots under it to shift. I would like a piece of broken stock shifter to weld in a small extension. I will drill it out to create weak spots, just in case...

All the things that scare me about the X center around the cast frame parts. Stripped out lugs, castings that snap with a small tip over. Aw hell, just ride it. Fix it when it breaks.

My ABS X has the small Turatech rack, Tail Tidy, Cycra pro-bend hand guards, I have a Cee Baileys wind screen, not installed. Heated grips will be installed.

This bike will also see duty as a bumper bike for camping. The wife says I need to keep this bike, just in case there is an earth quake... Good women are hard to find.

06 FJR1300 09 KTM 450 EXCR 75 Norton 850 E-Start Project 69 Z-50A Mini Trail with Lights 03 GasGas 280 Pro 14 Tiger 800 03 CRF 230
mikeysduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 06:12 PM   #4227
MizzouRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,719
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeysduck View Post
I got the recommended YZ shift lever. It fits much like the stock shifter only it sticks out from the case an extra 1/2 inch. The stock shifter is so short I have trouble getting my size 12, Tech 8 boots under it to shift. I would like a piece of broken stock shifter to weld in a small extension. I will drill it out to create weak spots, just in case...
Let me know where you found the YZ shift lever, if you don't mind..
I need one.

Thx!
IBA#32778 2008 R1200GSA 2007 G650XChallenge
No man is as good as he ought to be, and few men are as bad as they seem.. (from a early 1900s post card found in Perry, Missouri..)
MizzouRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 07:33 PM   #4228
Muddler
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 701
Quote:
All the things that scare me about the X center around the cast frame parts. Stripped out lugs, castings that snap with a small tip over. Aw hell, just ride it. Fix it when it breaks..
I think you're on the money there Mikey, all bikes have weaknesses and these forums, by their nature, tend to focus on them. I worry about the cast stuff too, but being aware of it is half the battle. I take my bike through some gnarly stuff (Im wary of rock though) and havent broken anything yet.
Muddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 11:22 PM   #4229
The Jester
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 759
Quote:
The forks are simply unacceptable. I am not opposed to waiting for used parts to show up.

I would like a real shock. Has any one tried to fit a KTM, non linkage, shock to an X bike?

The stock shifter is so short I have trouble getting my size 12, Tech 8 boots under it to shift. I would like a piece of broken stock shifter to weld in a small extension.
forks - Have a look at the X-challenge forks thread. Quite a few options for fitting alternative forks. I'm in the middle of swapping to WP 43mm USD forks which is probably the easiest swap after 45mm marzochi forks. I'll post my results when I'm done.

Rear shock - I was wondering about the PDS shock last night but I'm fairly happy with the air shock at the moment.

I have broken gear lever on my bench at the moment. No problem with posting it to you.

The Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 02:08 AM   #4230
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,709
I can only suggest that you do your forks first, you may not worry about the air shock afterwards. I did it the other way around and could probably have saved a chunk of money. Even when you get an Ohlins that is set up for your weight from the factory, it still needs another chunk of money to get it working nicely off road.

xronly
Cruz is online now   Reply With Quote