ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-23-2011, 02:52 AM   #4306
Don't shoot me!!!
Snowflakes are cold...
 
Don't shoot me!!!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Norway
Oddometer: 569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz View Post
Search in the x challenge threads for posts from HP2 as he has taken his out to over 700cc and up around the 70kw mark. Can't help you with anything else.
Iv'e read his convertion.
But i'm not going as hardcore as him ;-)
But i can't recall what he did with the injection, and if he has a custom made cylinder or if he modified the oem?
Don't shoot me!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 06:00 AM   #4307
AZ-Twin
Dusty and Thirsty
 
AZ-Twin's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Sierra Vista, AZ
Oddometer: 1,321
As far as the EFI goes, Dynojet will have a powercommander V for our bikes soon, word is I already have one.

So you might give them a call. A tuner should be able to get the mixture correct with a power commander.
__________________
Rob Swartzwelder, Southern AZ
I'm not real fast, but I do have a dog named Dakar!
97 M900, 07 G650 XChallenge,11 KTM 990 ADV R
2011 North up the CDR
Sierra Vista AZ to Paonia CO and Back through Moab UT

AZ-Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 06:03 AM   #4308
AZ-Twin
Dusty and Thirsty
 
AZ-Twin's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Sierra Vista, AZ
Oddometer: 1,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by snooker View Post
Not to mention they cost like $8 apiece! That's $48 for 6 stupid washers! The micro fiche calls them "anti-squeak". I can tell you that I called Woody's wheels and they said they always use the washers, but I figure that have to go by the book as recommended by BMW.
Like the other guy said, most bikes don't have them, I didn't use them and don't see a problem, especially since the pads float anyhow. My $.02.

Hey AZ, if you are still contemplating dimensions of rear shocks, my Wilburs page for my XCountry has some numbers that may help: here.
Thanks snook, I will check that out. When I get my bike back I am going to take it to my suspension guy (he just had the forks and shock before and was focusing on making the shivers work, didn't do anything but play with the settings on the shock) and see about shortening the shock.
__________________
Rob Swartzwelder, Southern AZ
I'm not real fast, but I do have a dog named Dakar!
97 M900, 07 G650 XChallenge,11 KTM 990 ADV R
2011 North up the CDR
Sierra Vista AZ to Paonia CO and Back through Moab UT

AZ-Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 06:26 AM   #4309
plumber mike
Born again
 
plumber mike's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: South of North Dakota
Oddometer: 2,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-Twin View Post
As far as the EFI goes, Dynojet will have a powercommander V for our bikes soon, word is I already have one.

So you might give them a call. A tuner should be able to get the mixture correct with a power commander.
A big thank you from the xbike communitySomething else I didn't know I had to have
__________________
2002 Yamaha PW80 don't break it dad!
1996 Honda XR250R just right.
www.dakotadualsportriders.com
plumber mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 06:19 PM   #4310
SCflyer
Beastly Adventurer
 
SCflyer's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Back in NC
Oddometer: 1,602
Not really up on what the Power Commander does...

Basically check several things and automatically adjust so the bike performs optimally in all conditions/altitudes adjusting for aftermarket header/pipe??

Can't speak to it much since I've yet to ride mine but is it really a problem when the bike has EFI? Don't recall reading about power issues for what the bike is.

Just curious as to the specific benefits.

Thanks
__________________
"Not all those who wander are lost" J.R.R. Tolkien
SCflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 06:49 AM   #4311
AZ-Twin
Dusty and Thirsty
 
AZ-Twin's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Sierra Vista, AZ
Oddometer: 1,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCflyer View Post

Just curious as to the specific benefits.
Gobs of power, more money in your wallet, and it is easier to get Laid!

Honestly, I don't know if the bike will run much better or not. I live 500 miles from Vegas and thought I could help out the 650X community by letting them use my bike, and I got the stuff and tuning for free, well the cost of gas (Toyota Tundra X 2000 miles X $3 a Gal = Yikes) but hey, my wife and I turned this trip into a mini vacation to Vegas so that is an added benefit.

Seriously, as far as performance goes, I took the top off my air box, and added a slipon at the same time, so I don't know if the gain will be from the PC, or the other stuff, but I am hoping to gain some low end torque (not that the bike needed any) and it will just generally run smoother with a bit richer of a mixture. I don't really care about top end HP like some folks do.

I pick the bike up in a couple hours.
__________________
Rob Swartzwelder, Southern AZ
I'm not real fast, but I do have a dog named Dakar!
97 M900, 07 G650 XChallenge,11 KTM 990 ADV R
2011 North up the CDR
Sierra Vista AZ to Paonia CO and Back through Moab UT

AZ-Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 06:50 AM   #4312
AZ-Twin
Dusty and Thirsty
 
AZ-Twin's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Sierra Vista, AZ
Oddometer: 1,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by plumber mike View Post
A big thank you from the xbike communitySomething else I didn't know I had to have
Just trying to give a little back bro, thanks!
__________________
Rob Swartzwelder, Southern AZ
I'm not real fast, but I do have a dog named Dakar!
97 M900, 07 G650 XChallenge,11 KTM 990 ADV R
2011 North up the CDR
Sierra Vista AZ to Paonia CO and Back through Moab UT

AZ-Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 09:56 AM   #4313
FinnDuro
Winter wonderlanding
 
FinnDuro's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Finland
Oddometer: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-Twin View Post
Gobs of power, more money in your wallet, and it is easier to get Laid!
Honestly, I don't know if the bike will run much better or not.
I pick the bike up in a couple hours.
Ride / PC impressions wanted asap, thanks!


All, what is PowerCommander useful for anyways: well, say someone opens up his X's airbox Even More, adds better flowing bigger pipes & exhausts. That someone then pretty much Needs to tune the EFI to get the best Air/Fuel ratios out of the new equation = PowerCommander and some dyno time needed. Who, me?

(And with PC V, possibility to play DIY-Dyno with PC V AutoTune module.)
__________________
Stable: BMW R80 GS -90, BMW G 650 Xchallenge, KTM 690 Enduro R -12 // finnduro.com
FinnDuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 09:27 PM   #4314
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur
 
DRONE's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Tacoma, WA-ish
Oddometer: 3,418
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCflyer View Post
Not really up on what the Power Commander does...

Basically check several things and automatically adjust so the bike performs optimally in all conditions/altitudes adjusting for aftermarket header/pipe??

Can't speak to it much since I've yet to ride mine but is it really a problem when the bike has EFI? Don't recall reading about power issues for what the bike is.

Just curious as to the specific benefits.

Thanks
There are lots of Power Commander threads. Search is your friend. But in short, it does not check several things and automatically adjust so the bike performs optimally in all conditions/altitudes -- that's what the bike's ECU (computer brain) does.

The Power Commander addresses a problem common to all makes and models of EFI bikes, which is, that modern bikes run too lean. This is great for compliance with government pollution regs, but not so great for performance.

The Power Commander permits the user to tweak the EFI settings all across the RPM range. There's several ways you can do this. First is to put your bike on a dyno for a couple of hours while a tech fiddles with all the settings until you have max dyno power all across the RPM range. When he's done, he gives you something called a "map" which is a computer record of the settings he created for the Power Commander on your bike.

The second way is to copy a map off some other guy who's got a good map. Maps are easy to download and e-mail. The third way is to create your own map based simply on how the bike "feels" (seat-of-the-pants method). The fourth way is to take some other guy's map then tweak it (combination of methods 2 & 3).

If you add an Autotune device to a PowerCommander, it basically overrides all your map settings, and instead seeks to achieved a certain air-to-fuel ratio based on prior instructions you've programmed into it.

As you might guess, online discussions of PC's, maps, and AutoTuning go on and on and on and on and on . . .

If Dynojet does actually release a Power Commander for the XC, hopefully some kind inmate here will start a new thread about it.
__________________
WUMPA
DRONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 09:32 PM   #4315
AZ-Twin
Dusty and Thirsty
 
AZ-Twin's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Sierra Vista, AZ
Oddometer: 1,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRONE View Post
There are lots of Power Commander threads. Search is your friend. But in short, it does not check several things and automatically adjust so the bike performs optimally in all conditions/altitudes -- that's what the bike's ECU (computer brain) does.

The Power Commander addresses a problem common to all makes and models of EFI bikes, which is, that modern bikes run too lean. This is great for compliance with government pollution regs, but not so great for performance.

The Power Commander permits the user to tweak the EFI settings all across the RPM range. There's several ways you can do this. First is to put your bike on a dyno for a couple of hours while a tech fiddles with all the settings until you have max dyno power all across the RPM range. When he's done, he gives you something called a "map" which is a computer record of the settings he created for the Power Commander on your bike.

The second way is to copy a map off some other guy who's got a good map. Maps are easy to download and e-mail. The third way is to create your own map based simply on how the bike "feels" (seat-of-the-pants method). The fourth way is to take some other guy's map then tweak it (combination of methods 2 & 3).

If you add an Autotune device to a PowerCommander, it basically overrides all your map settings, and instead seeks to achieved a certain air-to-fuel ratio based on prior instructions you've programmed into it.

As you might guess, online discussions of PC's, maps, and AutoTuning go on and on and on and on and on . . .

If Dynojet does actually release a Power Commander for the XC, hopefully some kind inmate here will start a new thread about it.
Drone,

My bike has one, Dynojet used it to build the baseline map. I brought it home yesterday, have not ridden it yet. I believe you will be able to download maps form Dnynojet.

When this gets to Market it is all because FinnDuro worked with Dynojet to make it happen. I just let them use my bike as I am a bit closer to Vegas than FinnDuro is.
__________________
Rob Swartzwelder, Southern AZ
I'm not real fast, but I do have a dog named Dakar!
97 M900, 07 G650 XChallenge,11 KTM 990 ADV R
2011 North up the CDR
Sierra Vista AZ to Paonia CO and Back through Moab UT


AZ-Twin screwed with this post 01-25-2011 at 09:39 PM
AZ-Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 05:41 AM   #4316
FinnDuro
Winter wonderlanding
 
FinnDuro's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Finland
Oddometer: 373
As per requests, I actually just started a new thread on G650X and PowerCommanders.

Hope we eventually get lots of details and comments there: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=654767

As of now, it's still a bit of a waiting game I suppose.
Now that there finally is a PC V specced for BMW G650X's, I'm hoping it won't take Dynojet too long to bring the unit to market in mass production volumes.
__________________
Stable: BMW R80 GS -90, BMW G 650 Xchallenge, KTM 690 Enduro R -12 // finnduro.com
FinnDuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 02:02 PM   #4317
AZ-Twin
Dusty and Thirsty
 
AZ-Twin's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Sierra Vista, AZ
Oddometer: 1,321
HB Bag mounts, LV slipon, TT rack.

So, is anyone else out there running the large TT luggage rack, H&B bag mounts, and a LV slipon? Here is my latest challenge.

When I took the bike to DJ for the PCV testing/install I brought a LV slipon NIB. The DJ Tech said he would install it, no problem, and he did a nice job. However I did not have my luggage rack and bag mounts on at the time ( I knew this was a mistake but I was short for time). I had all that stuff off to get my body panels painted black. So, last night I am looking at the bike and I think Hmmmmm, I don't think my stuff will fit back on. so I start trying and the TT rack will go back on, no problem, but it looks like I might need to do some grinding on the H&B mount, or design and build a new exhaust hanger for the LV slipon. I also noticed my header pipe now seems closer to the water hose on the engine, I think I read this is a normal side effect of the LV install. So that makes me want to redesign the exhaust hanger even more.

Any ideas from folks that have the same suite of accessories, or at least the H&B luggage mounts and the LV slipon?

Thanks
__________________
Rob Swartzwelder, Southern AZ
I'm not real fast, but I do have a dog named Dakar!
97 M900, 07 G650 XChallenge,11 KTM 990 ADV R
2011 North up the CDR
Sierra Vista AZ to Paonia CO and Back through Moab UT

AZ-Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 03:51 PM   #4318
Cruz
Lost but laughing.
 
Cruz's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Northside Brisbane, Qld Australia
Oddometer: 5,821
Would definitely try to use some kind of extra hangar much like the lower OEM one to keep it away from the water hose. It is only natural the way it is mounted now that the header will be pushed down lower until it rests on top of the hose when using the LV slip on.

My BMW mech said that the header wasn't designed to hold up a muffler as well as itself, which is why the OEM muffler has the lower locating mount for support.
Every LV I have looked atdoes this, guys fit a piece of cut water hose around the hose there but it still gets pretty hot. A few other slip ons use both mounts so a bit of an oversight by LV.
__________________
"I reckon it would be good getting a heap of XR's in the one spot and watching a heap of blokes kicking fuck out of there bikes and swearing."

xronly
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 07:38 PM   #4319
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur
 
DRONE's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Tacoma, WA-ish
Oddometer: 3,418
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-Twin View Post
So, is anyone else out there running the large TT luggage rack, H&B bag mounts, and a LV slipon? Here is my latest challenge.

When I took the bike to DJ for the PCV testing/install I brought a LV slipon NIB. The DJ Tech said he would install it, no problem, and he did a nice job. However I did not have my luggage rack and bag mounts on at the time ( I knew this was a mistake but I was short for time). I had all that stuff off to get my body panels painted black. So, last night I am looking at the bike and I think Hmmmmm, I don't think my stuff will fit back on. so I start trying and the TT rack will go back on, no problem, but it looks like I might need to do some grinding on the H&B mount, or design and build a new exhaust hanger for the LV slipon. I also noticed my header pipe now seems closer to the water hose on the engine, I think I read this is a normal side effect of the LV install. So that makes me want to redesign the exhaust hanger even more.

Any ideas from folks that have the same suite of accessories, or at least the H&B luggage mounts and the LV slipon?

Thanks
I understand your question except for the part where you say you might need to grind the HB mounts. Why's that? Because the racks don't fit anymore, or the racks don't fit with the LV in place? Anyways, others have had compatibility issues with the LV can and the HB rack. Find a solution and I think you'll have an instant audience.
__________________
WUMPA
DRONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 09:03 PM   #4320
AZ-Twin
Dusty and Thirsty
 
AZ-Twin's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Sierra Vista, AZ
Oddometer: 1,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRONE View Post
I understand your question except for the part where you say you might need to grind the HB mounts. Why's that? Because the racks don't fit anymore, or the racks don't fit with the LV in place? Anyways, others have had compatibility issues with the LV can and the HB rack. Find a solution and I think you'll have an instant audience.
Well I found a solution, but I didn't take any photos. If anyone is interested I will snap some shots. It took a few minutes with a hack saw and all is well.

The problem was the The LV bracket would hit the H&B bracket, so with the H&B bracket on, the LV bracket had to be so low that the pipe hit the water hose. The LV bracket is this deal that will rotate to any position you want it to be in, and then the CF clamp that goes around the can bolts to it.

So, I cut a notch in the H&B bracket so the LV bracket could rotate up, and then I loosened the pipe from the head and rotated it a bit, then tightened it and now I have lots of clearance, however it may sag again. Actually with everything lose, there is quite a bit of movement.

You know, all this aftermarket crap is a PITA. Seems like I always need to build something. Probably because I buy cheap stuff. I guess I could somehow utilize the OEM mounting point by building a bracket and hooking it to the muffler with big ass hose clamps, but that has the potential to look like shit.

My neighbor did this thing to his KLR (typical KLR owner, no offense, but he puts talc on his chain) where he replaced the rubber hoses with Stainless flexible heater hoses, with just a short piece of rubber at each end. I could do something like that, and then the pipe can get as close as it wants to. I could build a heat shield with some mineral felt between it and the pipe. I could wrap the pipe with a couple layers of header wrap (probably the easiest).

I could get a new muffler that is built to fit the way the OEM one does.

Oh well, all my pieces are on the bike. I will probably do the header wrap thing and get a spare hose or some of that stainless stuff and carry it around in my tool bag.
__________________
Rob Swartzwelder, Southern AZ
I'm not real fast, but I do have a dog named Dakar!
97 M900, 07 G650 XChallenge,11 KTM 990 ADV R
2011 North up the CDR
Sierra Vista AZ to Paonia CO and Back through Moab UT

AZ-Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014