Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2011, 04:19 AM   #4321
ScottV
bigdoggscott

Oddometer: 1,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-Twin View Post
Well I found a solution, but I didn't take any photos. If anyone is interested I will snap some shots. It took a few minutes with a hack saw and all is well.

The problem was the The LV bracket would hit the H&B bracket, so with the H&B bracket on, the LV bracket had to be so low that the pipe hit the water hose. The LV bracket is this deal that will rotate to any position you want it to be in, and then the CF clamp that goes around the can bolts to it.

So, I cut a notch in the H&B bracket so the LV bracket could rotate up, and then I loosened the pipe from the head and rotated it a bit, then tightened it and now I have lots of clearance, however it may sag again. Actually with everything lose, there is quite a bit of movement.

You know, all this aftermarket crap is a PITA. Seems like I always need to build something. Probably because I buy cheap stuff. I guess I could somehow utilize the OEM mounting point by building a bracket and hooking it to the muffler with big ass hose clamps, but that has the potential to look like shit.

My neighbor did this thing to his KLR (typical KLR owner, no offense, but he puts talc on his chain) where he replaced the rubber hoses with Stainless flexible heater hoses, with just a short piece of rubber at each end. I could do something like that, and then the pipe can get as close as it wants to. I could build a heat shield with some mineral felt between it and the pipe. I could wrap the pipe with a couple layers of header wrap (probably the easiest).

I could get a new muffler that is built to fit the way the OEM one does.

Oh well, all my pieces are on the bike. I will probably do the header wrap thing and get a spare hose or some of that stainless stuff and carry it around in my tool bag.
If you could post some pics, that would be great. I am in the process of doing this same exact install on my XCountry. I have the large TT rear rack, yesterday I was trying to install the HB saddle bag racks. I cannot even to get this to fit properly. Today I have to go to the hardware store to get longer bolts for the top mount of the HB rack where it bolts in to the TT mount through the spacers. The m6X45's are not long enough and it looks like some bending will be needed to make the rear cross brace to fit. Also my LV exhaust is supposed to be delivered today. So I would like to see how you dealt with that. I agree this aftermarket stuff is usually a PITA.

Thanks, Scott

Pushin My Luck~~~ R.L. Burnside
ScottV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 07:25 AM   #4322
AZ-Twin
Dusty and Thirsty

Oddometer: 1,317
You got it. I will take some pics today.

In my spare G650 Bolts box I have some long spacers, and I have short spacers on the bike. I think the long spacers came with the H&B rack, along with some long bolts. What I did was left the TT rack and the short spacers on the bike, and then I used some 5/16 nuts which are about 1/4" thick for spacers on the outside of the TT rack. So I think my point is you don't need the long spacers that came with the rack.

So from the outside going in you have the head of the bolt, washer, HB bracket, 5/16 nut(functioning as a spacer), TT Rack, TT spacer subframe.

This gets the HB bag mounts out where they belong. You should not have to bend anything, at least not very much, minor tweaking may be required, but if you are bending it, something is wrong. The other brackets that bolt to where the foot peg mounts go are pretty straight forward, unless you have an ohlins shock, then you need to work on the ohlins bracket for the reservoir as it uses the same mounting point on the left side. I will take a pic or two of that also.

Then with HB bracket in place, the LV bracket will not rotate counterclockwise enough to move the mounting point high enough for it all to work, I will post a pic if I can get in there.

I had all this apart on the bench last night, wish I would have thought to take some pics.
2011 North up the CDR
Sierra Vista AZ to Paonia CO and Back through Moab UT

AZ-Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 10:26 AM   #4323
Rev Kiecker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 729
After having my LV pipe burn a hole through my coolant line (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=1890) that then caused subseqent engine issues because it ran too hot I have a couple things planned.

1. Ditch the rotating mount at hanger and mount it directly to the rear rack area without the rotation aspect - kind of like the Remus. The LV mounts like this using one rear mount and another on a swivel:
Instead make a bracket that goes between both rear mounts and let the hanger come directly off of the fixed bracket - like the Remus (sorry couldn't find a good photo on the interwebs). This will ensure no rotation. Either that or run the hanger directly off one of the mounts without the swivel.
2. Ceramic coat the header and use header wrap.
3. I'll probably also add a band-aid coolant hose around the coolant hose at the tigher spot by the motor. Either that or look at another fixed bracket.

As an aside, yes, loosen the header first and rotate it up as high as possible first before torquing it down to create as much clearance as possible first. Waiting for parts to ship in from Germany only delays travel south of the border. Can't wait to finally get in the dirt again.
IBA #201

INTERNATIONAL TAXI DRIVER REPORTING FOR DUTY.
Rev Kiecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 11:34 AM   #4324
AZ-Twin
Dusty and Thirsty

Rev,

I like the idea of doing away with the swing bracket, and just having a long bolt, spacer, and nut, but that lowers the can, not sure if I can make it work or not. Right now I have a blinker in the way, so I will need to build a new plate bracket

Scott, here is what I did, If you look carefully you can see that I cut a triangle out of the HB bracket. I also posted a pic so you can see where I used the 5/16 nuts as spacers. Ghetto, I know but hey, it is better than a stack of washers.

This next shot is from the right side looking over the seat, actually the seat is removed.

Here you can see how it is all spaced. The TT spacer, TT rack, and 5/16 nut come out to almost exactly the same thickness as the HB spacers.

Now, to complicate things throw an ohlins shock into the mix. I had to modify the Ohlins bracket by cutting some off the bottom of it, and drilling a new hole. Then, so there were two bolts holding the bracket on, I drilled a hole in the HB bracket and threaded it. I cut the excess bolt off ground it smooth on the back side. Then I pulled the stubby bolt out, put some red loctite on it, and put it back together. The two bolts going into the original peg mount holes have blue loctite on them.

Actually, I put blue loctite on most of this stuff, but I used red on that one since it just had a couple threads holding it. It has been through a lot of abuse and had not failed. I had to pull it apart not long ago, that red loctite is good stuff, don't use it on something you actually want to take apart any time soon.

2011 North up the CDR

Old 01-27-2011, 11:48 AM   #4325
Janet from Joisey
Bad Kitty

Oddometer: 659
These folks sell some great heat shield products, including sleeves and stick-on shields.

http://www.thermotec.com/products/
Janet from Joisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 02:22 PM   #4326
ScottV
bigdoggscott

Oddometer: 1,097
[QUOTE=AZ-Twin;15044725]
Here you can see how it is all spaced. The TT spacer, TT rack, and 5/16 nut come out to almost exactly the same thickness as the HB spacers.

[QUOTE]

Rob, Thanks for the pics they are very helpful. I like your solution here, did you have to buy longer bolts?

Scott

Pushin My Luck~~~ R.L. Burnside
ScottV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 02:29 PM   #4327
AZ-Twin
Dusty and Thirsty

I used the bolts that came with the HB rack. They are longer than the ones that came with the TT rack.
2011 North up the CDR

Old 01-27-2011, 03:57 PM   #4328
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,625
Have you thought about taking the LV to a muffler shop and get them to make a bracket similar to the oem one so that it slips on to the frame pin and supports it and the header? Soon as you start riding harder off road you will be putting a lot of pressure on that header pipe muffler join and it will be mostly downwards.

The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but Im just not close enough to get the job done.

George Carlin
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 04:34 PM   #4329
AZ-Twin
Dusty and Thirsty

Mr. Cruz, that is an excellent idea.
2011 North up the CDR

Old 01-27-2011, 04:51 PM   #4330
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,625
KISS principle Rob.

You can even use the rubber grommit from the OEM mount if necessary or the whole mount cut off the oem muffler and modified to suit.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but Im just not close enough to get the job done.

George Carlin
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 04:58 PM   #4331
AZ-Twin
Dusty and Thirsty

I wonder what that LV pipe is made of. I could make something that clamps to that pipe, but I would prefer to have it welded to the pipe.
2011 North up the CDR

Old 01-27-2011, 07:16 PM   #4332
Geoffster
Fool - Born This Way

Oddometer: 1,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-Twin View Post
You know, all this aftermarket crap is a PITA. Seems like I always need to build something. Probably because I buy cheap stuff. I guess I could somehow utilize the OEM mounting point by building a bracket and hooking it to the muffler with big ass hose clamps, but that has the potential to look like shit.

I could get a new muffler that is built to fit the way the OEM one does.
This is why I sold my LV and went back to stock. The few pipes that fit as well as stock are expensive! (Akrapovic and another that I can't recall.)

BUT If I did a ton of off-roading (like many XChallenge riders), I'd say "F*ck the expensive beer and call drinks for a couple of weeks -- I'm getting an Akrapovic that won't sear my coolant hose AND LEAVE ME STRANDED."

Consider this before arguing with me:
You're an idiot if you argue with a fool!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/geoffster/sets/
Geoffster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 09:10 PM   #4333
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 3,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffster View Post
This is why I sold my LV and went back to stock. The few pipes that fit as well as stock are expensive! (Akrapovic and another that I can't recall.)
My Staintune seems to fit OK. I bought mine for under $500 shipped but I see now that they've gone up to the $700 range here in the U.S. Maybe cheaper in Australia?
DRONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 11:34 PM   #4334
Dukehunt

Oddometer: 729
I mounted my LV without the hanging bracket to gain some clearance on the rubber hose, works fine, 12 months and no burn (except my over boot pants) on the rubber hose

Dukehunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 06:10 AM   #4335
Delta61
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 228
I have the Remus Freeride system, Hepco Becker racks and Sw motec top rack with a pelican case mounted to it and was an easy install and have no problems at all with coolant hose clearence and have beat it pretty good off road in rocks,mud etc.

10 1200 GSA
07 X Challenge
04 1150 GS(SOLD)
Delta61 is offline   Reply With Quote