Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2011, 06:48 AM   #4336
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool

Oddometer: 3,035
Low Fender

It doesn't look too bad in blue:

I took Hotmamandme's suggestion and just riveted the KTM fender to the fork protectors. To keep the headlight from flopping around, I took a piece of aluminum treadplate, cut and bent it into a box. The HID power supplies go in there.
tbarstow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 06:51 AM   #4337
DiscoDino
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,815
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbarstow View Post

I took Hotmamandme's suggestion and just riveted the KTM fender to the fork protectors. To keep the headlight from flopping around, I took a piece of aluminum treadplate, cut and bent it into a box. The HID power supplies go in there.
Does it move any? Did you mount the rear of the fender or only the rivets hold it in place?
Old 01-28-2011, 07:30 AM   #4338
AviatorTroy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,533
Guys there's a used Staintune exhaust for $350 over on IBMWR classifieds right now.

Now, does anyone know what the seat height is on these X-Challenges? Thanks......
AviatorTroy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 07:56 AM   #4339
Hotmamaandme
Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer: 2,609
Good job

Looks like you put 4 rivets per fork side, not a bad idea. I only have two each side. I havent had any issues with it getting loose but a couple extra rivets wouldnt hurt. So what did you do with the rear fender supports?

I like the little box for the stock head light support. It holds HID ballast as well super! removing the stock high fender wich supports the bottom of the stock head light was some thing i hadnt really solved other than some zip ties. Good job.

Quote:

Jimmy Lewis quote: "Those KLRs are full of potential. Just takes a rider..."
Hotmamaandme is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 08:14 AM   #4340
mike,p
WELL LIT ADVENTURER

Oddometer: 750
Cool2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotmamaandme View Post
Looks like you put 4 rivets per fork side, not a bad idea. I only have two each side. I havent had any issues with it getting loose but a couple extra rivets wouldnt hurt. So what did you do with the rear fender supports?

I like the little box for the stock head light support. It holds HID ballast as well super! removing the stock high fender wich supports the bottom of the stock head light was some thing i hadnt really solved other than some zip ties. Good job.
Nice Job !!!
mike,p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 08:42 AM   #4341
AZ-Twin
Dusty and Thirsty

Oddometer: 1,313
Quote:

Tbarstow,

That looks good. How far do the rivets protrude through the back of the OEM fork guard? Is there any chance of them hitting the fork and scratching the tube, or slider under compression?
2011 North up the CDR
Sierra Vista AZ to Paonia CO and Back through Moab UT

AZ-Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 08:55 AM   #4342
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool

Oddometer: 3,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoDino View Post
Does it move any? Did you mount the rear of the fender or only the rivets hold it in place?
The rear is just zip tied to to a couple of holes in the fork protector.

I'm going to ride it to Vegas tonight, so I'll find out if it moves at all.
tbarstow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 09:10 AM   #4343
DiscoDino
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,815
Quote:
The rear is just zip tied to to a couple of holes in the fork protector.

I'm going to ride it to Vegas tonight, so I'll find out if it moves at all.
Sweet - eager to find out how it holds!

Cheers,
Nadim
Old 01-29-2011, 12:03 AM   #4344
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer: 1,383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffster View Post
This is why I sold my LV and went back to stock. The few pipes that fit as well as stock are expensive! (Akrapovic and another that I can't recall.)

BUT If I did a ton of off-roading (like many XChallenge riders), I'd say "F*ck the expensive beer and call drinks for a couple of weeks -- I'm getting an Akrapovic that won't sear my coolant hose AND LEAVE ME STRANDED."
Geoff - dude - I thot you always went for simple and practical solutions?

Here's what I did in about an hour for $.20:

FindMeSpot ~~~ Spotwalla Baja Trip ~~~ Neduro Did Dakar!
snooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 06:32 AM   #4345
AZ-Twin
Dusty and Thirsty

I like that solution Snooker. I had thought about drilling a hole in my HB mount and attaching the muffler mount to it, but I didn't want to put all that weight on the two little 6mm bolts that hold the racks on. Your solution still supports the mufler with the big bolt, and just keeps it from rotating by hooking it to the rack.

I am going to build a bracket like Cruz suggested, and incorporate some type of retainer like you have, and that should take care of any issues with the muffler moving around and stressing the header, or getting too close to my hose.

I will take notes and pics when I build the bracket so if it works, it can be reproduced easily.
2011 North up the CDR

Old 01-29-2011, 08:44 AM   #4346
Geoffster
Fool - Born This Way

Oddometer: 1,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by snooker View Post
Geoff - dude - I thot you always went for simple and practical solutions?

Here's what I did in about an hour for $.20:
With all respect, your solution still balances the mass between the exhaust studs and the rear hanger. I'd prefer to have the muffler supported at two points (as intended) and have the studs going along for the ride.

Consider this before arguing with me:
You're an idiot if you argue with a fool!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/geoffster/sets/
Geoffster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 03:02 PM   #4347
AZ-Twin
Dusty and Thirsty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz View Post
Have you thought about taking the LV to a muffler shop and get them to make a bracket similar to the oem one so that it slips on to the frame pin and supports it and the header?
Not until you mentioned it, no.

So today I was supposed to go for a ride, but I got the days mixed up and thought my wife was taking her sister to the airport on Sunday, but it was today, so my boy and I spent the day in the shop. Better than riding, and I got something done you may be interested in.

So I started out with a piece os 1 & 1/2" round tube, a big rubber plug I got at Ace Hardware, some 3/4" square tube, some 1/2" flat stock, and a hose clamp.

I welded the square tube to the side if the round tube before I made the bushing.

I had a hell of a time getting the rubber plug into the tube.

After I get the rubber grommet in, I drilled a 15/32 hole in it as that is what the pin measured, then after a couple measurements and some cutting and grinding I had this.

I had planned to weld a piece of the pipe pictured earlier to it but I didn't have much room, so I just used a piece of flat stock. Here is the finished product. I still need to paint it.

The pipe feels really solid, and is not close to the hose, so I will keep an eye on it, I need to go on a ride tomorrow to test some things.
2011 North up the CDR

Old 01-29-2011, 05:04 PM   #4348
darrendeep6
BMW Dirty Dozen

Oddometer: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-Twin View Post
Not until you mentioned it, no.

So today I was supposed to go for a ride, but I got the days mixed up and thought my wife was taking her sister to the airport on Sunday, but it was today, so my boy and I spent the day in the shop. Better than riding, and I got something done you may be interested in.

So I started out with a piece os 1 & 1/2" round tube, a big rubber plug I got at Ace Hardware, some 3/4" square tube, some 1/2" flat stock, and a hose clamp.

I welded the square tube to the side if the round tube before I made the bushing.

I had a hell of a time getting the rubber plug into the tube.

After I get the rubber grommet in, I drilled a 15/32 hole in it as that is what the pin measured, then after a couple measurements and some cutting and grinding I had this.

I had planned to weld a piece of the pipe pictured earlier to it but I didn't have much room, so I just used a piece of flat stock. Here is the finished product. I still need to paint it.

The pipe feels really solid, and is not close to the hose, so I will keep an eye on it, I need to go on a ride tomorrow to test some things.
Please excuse my noobniss, but is the reason you didn't weld it is because the link pipe is Ti?
darrendeep6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 05:50 PM   #4349
AZ-Twin
Dusty and Thirsty

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrendeep6 View Post
Please excuse my noobniss, but is the reason you didn't weld it is because the link pipe is Ti?
I don't know what the pipe is made of. So that is part of why I didn't weld it.

I think, since the mission of the bracket is to hold the pipe up, it is fine just clamping it, as for the pipe to go down it would have to compress the mount, or the pipe would have to push outward away from the bike. Given the way it is all put together I am pretty sure this will work.

If I have an issue with it moving around I might drill it and put a screw through the bracket into the pipe, but I don't think that will be necessary.
2011 North up the CDR

Old 01-29-2011, 06:25 PM   #4350
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,618
So, about the suspension and the Power Commander???
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, “You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done.”

George Carlin
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote