Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2012, 06:49 AM   #4966
muddyrabbit
Lost Boy

Oddometer: 3,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by LangKat View Post
I've heard that the X-country shock isn't that great. Might be wrong though.

Not sure what people want for their second hand shocks but wouldn't you be able to get a new aftermarket one for a similar price?
+1.

Many of us Country owners have installed a challenge air shock after the stock sachs shock failed. Some others have had the Sachs resprung and gotten decent results, and it may serve you well for street use only. I would not rely on it for much off road service or take it on a ride to Tierra Del Fuego. If you really want one pm me, I have a brand new one I got under warranty that has never been in a bike.
muddyrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 11:34 AM   #4967
August West
Wharf Rat

Oddometer: 553
Thanks everyone for the replies, I have decided to pass on the shock. I'll live with the air bag for now.
August West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 07:11 PM   #4968
jjmead1
now THAT"S a bike!

Oddometer: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by August West View Post
I'm thinking about buying a xcountry shock in the flea market to replace the air bag. Thoughts?
I do mostly fire road riding, very little single track. It's my only bike so I'm making and adv tourer out of it. I'm old, 55, 170-175 lbs, if I test the limits of the bike it will be by accident. I have soft bags, and intend to carry camping gear etc. Doubt I'll exceed 210 loaded.
Having owned both bikes I'd say you are wasting money. That Sach's is in need of a stiffer spring and revalving. You can get that done by John at MOTO PRO but add another $500 to the sticker price. I bottomed the crap outta my stock Country shock until it was re sprung, but add the additional travel of a Challenge to the mix. I bottomed it on slab dips/washes at 45mph. I cannot stress enough that IMO it's a bad idea.

PS. we would match up on weight loaded at 210.

YMMV---but i doubt it.

And then i looked up and saw your post.

jjmead1 screwed with this post 03-16-2012 at 07:13 PM Reason: because i am an idiot....
jjmead1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 05:42 PM   #4969
gsstampeder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,046
Fender bag

Does anyone use the wolfman fender bag with the stock front fender? I bought one and tried it out last season and I found it very difficult to keep it on the fender (it kept working itself loose) and when I did get it to stay, it caused the fender, and subsequently the headlite, to bounce a lot more then normal. I only put a tube and two small tire irons in the bag so there was minimal weight in it.
I'm concerned that I'm just creating more friction wear then the bike, or fasteners, was built to withstand?

Anyone had any luck with this bag mounted on a stock front fender?
Thx
Old 03-26-2012, 06:10 PM   #4970
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer: 1,406
Does anybody run a Wilbers shock on their XChallenge? I need somebody to compare my XCountry experiences with.

FindMeSpot ~~~ Spotwalla Baja Trip ~~~ Neduro Did Dakar!
snooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 06:31 PM   #4971
alpi
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsstampeder View Post
Does anyone use the wolfman fender bag with the stock front fender?
[...]
Thx
I've been using the Wolfman fender bag for the last 6 months and although I don't do much heavy single track, I carry a single tube, small tire irons + repair kit, and an air canister. It's kind of bulky just below the headlight, but I haven't had any issues yet on the gravel & fire roads I've been. It does shake, but it seems to me the fender is pretty elastic to take all the punishment... remains to see what's the limit, but I'm not that concerned.

Old 03-26-2012, 08:42 PM   #4972
gsstampeder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,046
Thanks alpi, nice looking bike too.

Did you pinch the clips tighter or do anything other then tighten the straps to keep the bag from sliding around and eventually falling off. I found I had to cinch the straps so tight I started bending the fender plastic....and evn then the straps loosened up. Wasn't really impressed with the way it fit the x-c and thought I'd be cursing myself if I lost the irons because the bag fell off while I had my eyes shut bouncing down the trail!!!!
Old 03-26-2012, 08:51 PM   #4973
alpi
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
I just tighten the straps as much as it allows (no bending of the fender is noticeable), and due to the clips' position and the fender shape (width enlarged toward the front) it won't slide out. I didn't notice straps loosening up either, maybe because it's a bit bulky and pushes on them, but you may want to check the strap routing in the buckles, maybe they need some reversing...
Old 03-26-2012, 08:56 PM   #4974
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool

Oddometer: 3,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpi View Post
I just tighten the straps as much as it allows (no bending of the fender is noticeable), and due to the clips' position and the fender shape (width enlarged toward the front) it won't slide out. I didn't notice straps loosening up either, maybe because it's a bit bulky and pushes on them, but you may want to check the strap routing in the buckles, maybe they need some reversing...
Pinch the clips on to the fender with a visegrip, or drill a few small holes and add some zip ties for security.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:42 PM   #4975
Pine Sol
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 471
you could put small notches in the fender where the clasps touch the fender, so they wont slide around.

saying that, if the weight is the issue, how about relocating the irons, could zip tie them under the seat. the weight reduction might just work....
Pine Sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 04:58 AM   #4976
joenuclear
Planning.....

Oddometer: 6,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbarstow View Post
pinch the clips on to the fender with a visegrip, or drill a few small holes and add some zip ties for security.
+1
Old 03-27-2012, 06:25 AM   #4977
DiscoDino
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,820
I replaced the OEM fender with a KTM one and got a Stow-X plastic fender bag that bolts to it, has all I need for tire repair bud does not hold a tube. I had a tube in the wolf man on the OEM fender but it cracked it due to weight/off-road riding.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:52 AM   #4978
MizzouRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsstampeder View Post
Does anyone use the wolfman fender bag with the stock front fender? I bought one and tried it out last season and I found it very difficult to keep it on the fender (it kept working itself loose) and when I did get it to stay, it caused the fender, and subsequently the headlite, to bounce a lot more then normal. I only put a tube and two small tire irons in the bag so there was minimal weight in it.
I'm concerned that I'm just creating more friction wear then the bike, or fasteners, was built to withstand?

Thx
I found a used beak extender (TT) once I put it on the wolf man fender bag stayed put.
I was considering "notching" the fender at the locations of the four clips, but the beak extender fixed it..

Jeff
IBA#32778 2008 R1200GSA 2007 G650XChallenge
No man is as good as he ought to be, and few men are as bad as they seem.. (from a early 1900s post card found in Perry, Missouri..)
MizzouRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 06:31 PM   #4979
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,761
If you look how the XChallenge headlight and front guard are mounted to the bike you may decide not to mount anything on the guard. I certainly never would on mine. I have found more 'lost' front guard kits on trails than anything else.

When you see a lot of bikes with these on the front guards and look at the angle the guard sits at or how it interferes with the headlight, I am not sure why people use them. For what they hold, surely it can easily be stored elsewhere securely. Originally these were used for enduro racers who did not carry anything on the bike or a back back, now they look like fashion items and pushed by aftermarket companies as something else to sell.

xronly
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 09:30 AM   #4980
gumbellion
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 357
Luggage Help!

Hey Guys,
I read through the luggage stuff at the start and have looked at other reviews and need some assistance.
I am looking at luggage and for starters want to just go with a soft bag system that is totally waterproof. Right now what I am looking at is the Wolfman Expidition bags and maybe Hepco and Becker rack system
The reason for this is that in the future if I feel the need for hard panniers I could get something that will work with the rack, and for the time being will use the wolfman units which are water proof and will handle what I would take for the kind of riding I do now.
Has anyone ran this set up? Or used the wolfman bags with success with another pannier mount that has a hard case option if I decide to go that route in the future.
With the soft luggage if I go on a extended ride I will get a hard case for the rear rack for valuables, electronics, and heavier items.
The soft bags would be for clothes, sleeping bag, mat, and hammock.
Any input in useful. there is lots of info out there but not so much that is specific to the Xchallenge
Pics are always a plus too!
gumbellion is offline   Reply With Quote