Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2012, 03:49 PM   #5056
DiscoDino
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,820
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Kiecker View Post
Adding images stopped on Jan 9, 2012. All images must be linked from another host.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=919
Damn! would it work from facebook?
Old 05-10-2012, 03:56 PM   #5057
Rev Kiecker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 729
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoDino View Post
Damn! would it work from facebook?
Pretty sure as long as your photo settings in FB are set to public.
IBA #201

INTERNATIONAL TAXI DRIVER REPORTING FOR DUTY.
Rev Kiecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 05:20 PM   #5058
azgsa
Apathetic

Oddometer: 1,326
Quote:
How are you guys posting pictures? I no longer see the "add pictures" button thingy...
I must have gotten yours, I have 2 thingies!
Old 05-11-2012, 12:53 PM   #5059
DiscoDino
Beastly Adventurer

Latest modifications

Here is the bike at it's latest set-up:

Britannica Composite fairing (HID low, Halogen High):

Love the fairing, lots of real-estate to mount my new GPS (Montana), and a couple of sockets for my heated gear, along with a headlight cut-off switch: seems that the HID start-up load is too much on the bike and it may cut the dashboard, some troubleshooting showed that it is fixable and I connected with the manufacturer (Ian) on this. You will also notice the nice packaging with the Stow-X fender box and the KTM front fender...looks sharp if I can say so myself!

Next up are the wheels...Excel A60s front/rear with Pirelli front/rear:

Also ceramic coated and wrapped the header:

Finally, new pivot pegz and TT extended shifter (to cope with my Sidi 47s):

Old 05-11-2012, 12:58 PM   #5060
joenuclear
Planning.....

Oddometer: 6,124
Looking good!
Old 05-11-2012, 01:29 PM   #5061
Rev Kiecker
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Britannica Composite fairing (HID low, Halogen High):

Love the fairing, lots of real-estate to mount my new GPS (Montana), and a couple of sockets for my heated gear, along with a headlight cut-off switch: seems that the HID start-up load is too much on the bike and it may cut the dashboard, some troubleshooting showed that it is fixable and I connected with the manufacturer (Ian) on this.
I'm having the same issue with my HIDs with the Britannica set up. I have both as HIDs and both are switchable on/off independent of each other. I also get the dash flash. Sometimes it comes back on, sometimes it says off. Nothing is consistent. When I sent my wiring diagram to Ian he said that all looked good and didn't know why it was happening.

What's your/Ian's solution?
IBA #201

Old 05-11-2012, 05:13 PM   #5062
Yukon Ho!
We can go ANYWHERE!

Oddometer: 139
Quote:
I'm having the same issue with my HIDs with the Britannica set up. I have both as HIDs and both are switchable on/off independent of each other. I also get the dash flash. Sometimes it comes back on, sometimes it says off. Nothing is consistent. When I sent my wiring diagram to Ian he said that all looked good and didn't know why it was happening.

What's your/Ian's solution?
I have the Britannia Lynx fairing with HID's (hi and lo) on my XCountry. (Love it!) I put a simple on/off switch (marine grade, weatherproof) on the relays' negative wire.Works great: OEM instruments' blue highbeam indicator tells you the headlights are off after starting the engine, so flip 'em on. This really mattered a lot when I had the stalling problem -- didn't want to fire the HIDs until the engine was reliably started.
Yukon Ho! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 05:40 PM   #5063
Rev Kiecker
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon Ho! View Post
I have the Britannia Lynx fairing with HID's (hi and lo) on my XCountry. (Love it!) I put a simple on/off switch (marine grade, weatherproof) on the relays' negative wire.Works great: OEM instruments' blue highbeam indicator tells you the headlights are off after starting the engine, so flip 'em on. This really mattered a lot when I had the stalling problem -- didn't want to fire the HIDs until the engine was reliably started.
As stated in my post I already have my lights completely independent and switchable. Most of the time I ride with them off. As stated by DiscoDino and Leafman60 (different thread) we are having the stock insturment cluster turn completely off when firing up the HIDs. Sometimes the dash comes back on, other times it does not. Last September I rode from Bryce Canyon, UT to Los Angeles sans dash. My local shop doesn't know the issue yet either. Frusterating to say the least.
IBA #201

Old 05-11-2012, 10:16 PM   #5064
FinnDuro
Winter wonderlanding

Oddometer: 373
Quote:
As stated in my post I already have my lights completely independent and switchable. Most of the time I ride with them off. As stated by DiscoDino and Leafman60 (different thread) we are having the stock insturment cluster turn completely off when firing up the HIDs. Sometimes the dash comes back on, other times it does not. Last September I rode from Bryce Canyon, UT to Los Angeles sans dash. My local shop doesn't know the issue yet either. Frusterating to say the least.
Your HID ballast units are then the likely source of problems. They're maybe mounted too close to the dash, causing interference problems, have read about such issues earlier. Could try to relocate them as far away from the dash as possible with the given wiring, to test if that helps. My single hid50 slim ballast never gave any trouble, it's located down by the lower fork triple, as far from the dash as possible in my configuration.
Old 05-12-2012, 03:50 AM   #5065
DiscoDino
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnDuro View Post
Your HID ballast units are then the likely source of problems. They're maybe mounted too close to the dash, causing interference problems, have read about such issues earlier. Could try to relocate them as far away from the dash as possible with the given wiring, to test if that helps. My single hid50 slim ballast never gave any trouble, it's located down by the lower fork triple, as far from the dash as possible in my configuration.
Very true. Before going with this faring, I had the HID set-up n the stock headlight, and never had the issue, now the HID ballast is mounted right next to the dash. I am going to try to relocate it this week before installing a kill switch, if it works great...if not, will install a kill switch...
Old 05-12-2012, 05:59 AM   #5066
FinnDuro
Winter wonderlanding

Oddometer: 373
Quote:
Very true. Before going with this faring, I had the HID set-up n the stock headlight, and never had the issue, now the HID ballast is mounted right next to the dash. I am going to try to relocate it this week before installing a kill switch, if it works great...if not, will install a kill switch...
I think a kill switch in any case is a very good idea.
Old 05-13-2012, 04:57 AM   #5067
rockydog
just a guy

Oddometer: 795
for those of you who have been following Colebatch's saga on his design and development of a soft pannier bag, link below will help you out ..... I have no affiliation etc, just passing along some info.

http://www.adventure-spec.com/defaul...-panniers.html

Rockydog woofs the Isles, British Isles

rockydog screwed with this post 05-13-2012 at 08:48 AM
rockydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 10:03 AM   #5068
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 3,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockydog View Post
for those of you who have been following Colebatch's saga on his design and development of a soft pannier bag, link below will help you out ..... I have no affiliation etc, just passing along some info.

http://www.adventure-spec.com/defaul...-panniers.html
Holy crap! Those things are awesome! Dang! A Kevlar layer and 1000 Cordura and a waterproof inner bag and Pacsafe netting? Total overkill for the typical Charlie and Ewan wannabe. They should sell like crazy! What BMW rider wouldn't want to show up at a rally with a set of these things hanging off the back?
Old 05-13-2012, 12:53 PM   #5069
Kainic
Almost there

Oddometer: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRONE View Post
Holy crap! Those things are awesome! Dang! A Kevlar layer and 1000 Cordura and a waterproof inner bag and Pacsafe netting? Total overkill for the typical Charlie and Ewan wannabe. They should sell like crazy! What BMW rider wouldn't want to show up at a rally with a set of these things hanging off the back?
They look do look awesome and I am sure they perform even better. Just need to save up $$$ as they are far from cheap.
Kainic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 04:14 PM   #5070
AZ-Twin
Dusty and Thirsty

Oddometer: 1,321
Quote:
Very nice Disco! You are putting together a nice looking machine.

I had a similar problem with my HID setup, I tried various things, but even if the engine was running and I turned on the HIDs, my instrument cluster would get zapped, and trip meter zeroed. Eventually I went back to halogen headlights and that solved the problem. I'm thinking about reworking my headlight fairing setup and if I do I might go down the path again with full sized ballasts, instead of the slim ballasts.
2011 North up the CDR
Sierra Vista AZ to Paonia CO and Back through Moab UT

AZ-Twin is offline   Reply With Quote