Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2012, 08:12 PM   #5101
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer: 1,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunslinger1 View Post

Got to talking to Tedd at ......... Wilbers America ...
Ted has the best service around.... not necessarily a shock setup expert (like TrailTricks) but a BMW expert and willing to work his ass off to make you happy.

I got my Wilbers 642 (piggyback reservoir like yours) on my XCountry about 2 years ago, still having issues getting a stiff enough spring rate to handle water bars and harsh edge cross ruts while off road. (I've tried all the damping adjustments but I think I need more spring). I told them my weight (190 lbs in my birthday suit) and "aggressive offroad" and they gave me a 160 Nm spring rate. Now 2 years late he is helping me and I've exchanged it for 170, 180 and still not much better... My loaded (rider) sag still hovers around 28% and will bottom on a sharp edged rut or rain groove across a dirt road (say 30mph).

I would like to hear all of your dimensions for stroke length, mounting length, especially spring rate, etc. Compare to what I have at my Wilbers web page. Please post or PM me if you like...

-matt (UMR '79 Black Hole University)

FindMeSpot ~~~ Spotwalla Baja Trip ~~~ Neduro Did Dakar!
snooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 09:13 PM   #5102
Gunslinger1
GIVE'R

Oddometer: 621
Quote:
Originally Posted by snooker View Post
I would like to hear all of your dimensions for stroke length, mounting length, especially spring rate, etc. Compare to what I have at my Wilbers web page. Please post or PM me if you like...

-matt (UMR '79 Black Hole University)

............ Ted took a lot of data from me before having this shock built, what height I wanted the bike, weight, how I ride. I came back from the rally weighed all my gear that I typically ride with, boots, backpac full of water, I included my racks, extra fuel tank full, and I also measured the gear I will carry on trips which came to 20lbs I think. All of this came to probably 60 or more lbs than I weigh. I was supprised what everything weighed. Regardless that was the number I gave him. I was a bit worried it was going to be too stiff but it's not. I will pm you my personal info and Ted can give you all the technical data.

.......they changed the name...........it's S&T now.

Gunslinger1 screwed with this post 09-08-2012 at 09:18 PM
Gunslinger1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 01:10 AM   #5103
Johnnyboxer
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 993
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunslinger1 View Post
............ Ted took a lot of data from me before having this shock built, what height I wanted the bike, weight, how I ride. I came back from the rally weighed all my gear that I typically ride with, boots, backpac full of water, I included my racks, extra fuel tank full, and I also measured the gear I will carry on trips which came to 20lbs I think. All of this came to probably 60 or more lbs than I weigh. I was supprised what everything weighed. Regardless that was the number I gave him. I was a bit worried it was going to be too stiff but it's not. I will pm you my personal info and Ted can give you all the technical data.

.......they changed the name...........it's S&T now.
How close is the reservoir to the link pipe

Looks too close for comfort

I was thinking of a Wilbers with a remote reservoir on a flexi pipe mounted well away from the exhaust

2005 BMW R1150GS Adv - Black
2005 BMW R1150GS Adv - Silver
2007 BMW G650 XCountry - Black
Johnnyboxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 05:24 PM   #5104
Gunslinger1
GIVE'R

Oddometer: 621
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyboxer View Post
How close is the reservoir to the link pipe

Looks too close for comfort

I was thinking of a Wilbers with a remote reservoir on a flexi pipe mounted well away from the exhaust

It is close........maybe to close............I don't know how that will change the performance and I know the added heat can't be ideal. I may wrap the pipe. They do make a remote reservior I stayed away from it on purpose to avoid mounting something extra. I may change it later to remote. Riding the bike the reservoir gets warm but never hot. Maybe somebody that knows more about this can speak to it. I don't use this bike for hard off-road riding as I have other bikes that are better for that type of riding.
Gunslinger1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 07:46 PM   #5105
ridepjride
Migrant

Oddometer: 296
Tooling my xchallenge to suit my riding. Xtank and Spitfire shield are the most recent.

ridepjride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 01:56 PM   #5106
Powershouse
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,133
About that air shock....

Has anyone ever plumbed an extension to the air valve for better access? It would be nice if you could inflate it with any pump or compressor, nut just the few that fit into the spot at the top of the shock. I'm going to explore some RV supply shops and see if I find anything that might work.

Oh, and that x-tank above looks sweet!
Old 09-26-2012, 04:47 AM   #5107
Mtrain
free range

Oddometer: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powershouse View Post
Has anyone ever plumbed an extension to the air valve for better access? It would be nice if you could inflate it with any pump or compressor, nut just the few that fit into the spot at the top of the shock. I'm going to explore some RV supply shops and see if I find anything that might work.

Oh, and that x-tank above looks sweet!
Your problem may be getting the required pressure rather than the access.
Mtrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:26 AM   #5108
FinnDuro
Winter wonderlanding

Oddometer: 371
After about 4 years of ownership, with lots of farkles bought or part developed, investigated and mulled over, many many a night spent in my garage, numerous nice pm's and great comments with you guys, I must report my stable is completely empty. And so is my mind. Sold the Xchallenge R, not knowing what's next.

Why such compassion over a piece of consumable merchandice, you may ask. Well, for me, done the way I made it, it really set the bar high for subsequent bikes. I put my heart in it, really. So, I think I'm going to go either much lighter or much heavier next, as in the middleweight adv scene I found my ex-X the best there was available, bar none. But, now, it's time for something... else.

Once again for the good times:

Cheer, guys, I'll drink to this! :)
Old 09-26-2012, 06:29 PM   #5109
Turps
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtrain View Post
Your problem may be getting the required pressure rather than the access.
If its just a schrader valve. Extended it will make no difference with how it will take air.
Most compressors go to 125psi. Servo ones might take along time to get there.
Turps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 02:04 PM   #5110
AZ-Twin
Dusty and Thirsty

Oddometer: 1,315
@ FinnDuro

Finn, That must have been tough to do. It is hard to let a bike like that go, but in the world we live in you can't keep stuff forever, and reliability is always in the back of my head, especially when I bike starts getting old.
2011 North up the CDR
Sierra Vista AZ to Paonia CO and Back through Moab UT

AZ-Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:13 AM   #5111
Powershouse
Beastly Adventurer

I just got a 1-gal Rotopax to extend the range of the bike for an upcoming trip. I have the TT Large Tail bag on the back now, but that is all air where I would want to mount the Rotopax. Looks like I will be fabbing up a rack specific for the Rotopax which I can swap out with the TT rack. I'm thinking the simplest solution may be a plastic cutting board trimmed to fit and drilled to bolt to the grab rail.

Old 10-05-2012, 05:18 AM   #5112
Powershouse
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turps View Post
If its just a schrader valve. Extended it will make no difference with how it will take air.
Most compressors go to 125psi. Servo ones might take along time to get there.
I picked up one of these gizmos - Topeak Pressure Rite Unique internal check valve on our shock pumps isolates the pump from the fork or rear shock preventing air pressure loss during removal of pump head. With this attached to the shock I won't have to worry about dumping the air accidentally.

Old 10-05-2012, 07:20 AM   #5113
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool

Oddometer: 3,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powershouse View Post
I'm thinking the simplest solution may be a plastic cutting board trimmed to fit and drilled to bolt to the grab rail.
You'd be suprised at how much torque a full 1 gallon Rotopax will exert on the rear rack, even if you stay on the road. Put a 1/4" aluminum plate on the rear, as a piece of cutting board won't take the beating.
tbarstow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:52 PM   #5114
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 3,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnDuro View Post

Cheer, guys, I'll drink to this! :)

Finn, you're bike was (is) super special. One of the best ever!
DRONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:45 PM   #5115
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer: 1,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRONE View Post
Finn, you're bike was (is) super special. One of the best ever!
+1

We'll miss ya Finn... but hey you won't be able to leave us (just ask Drone)

FindMeSpot ~~~ Spotwalla Baja Trip ~~~ Neduro Did Dakar!
snooker is offline   Reply With Quote