Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2012, 11:41 PM   #5116
FinnDuro
Winter wonderlanding

Oddometer: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by snooker View Post
+1
We'll miss ya Finn... but hey you won't be able to leave us (just ask Drone)
Thanks for the kind words, sincerely appreciated!
That ex-Xchallenge "Six Days Replica" will be missed by me. I'll be hanging around here in the Thumpers section anyway, sure. I've got a new toy in my sights, and that one is no ISDE Replica, it's the real thing.

Anyways, luckily a local fellow bought my X, so I get to see it every now and again. He even asked me if I were interested in servicing it for him in the future, I may be tempted.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:02 PM   #5117
AZ-Twin
Dusty and Thirsty

Oddometer: 1,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnDuro View Post
Thanks for the kind words, sincerely appreciated!
That ex-Xchallenge "Six Days Replica" will be missed by me. I'll be hanging around here in the Thumpers section anyway, sure. I've got a new toy in my sights, and that one is no ISDE Replica, it's the real thing.

Anyways, luckily a local fellow bought my X, so I get to see it every now and again. He even asked me if I were interested in servicing it for him in the future, I may be tempted.
Whatcha getting Finn?

I picked up a KTM 990 ADV R this summer. I have not had much time to ride as work has kept me busy, but lately I have been riding it to work. Today I took the xchallenge around town to pick up a couple things. I wish my big KTM rode as nicely as my Xchallenge. I admit I have not setup the suspension on the KTM yet, and the xchallenge is tuned perfectly for me.

New bikes are nice, but I will not get rid of my Xchallenge until I am sure I have a suitable replacement.
2011 North up the CDR
Sierra Vista AZ to Paonia CO and Back through Moab UT

AZ-Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:21 AM   #5118
FinnDuro
Winter wonderlanding

Oddometer: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-Twin View Post
Whatcha getting Finn?
I picked up a KTM 990 ADV R this summer. I have not had much time to ride as work has kept me busy, but lately I have been riding it to work. Today I took the xchallenge around town to pick up a couple things. I wish my big KTM rode as nicely as my Xchallenge. I admit I have not setup the suspension on the KTM yet, and the xchallenge is tuned perfectly for me.

New bikes are nice, but I will not get rid of my Xchallenge until I am sure I have a suitable replacement.
Hiya Rob, nice 990 you got there. As for me, I wasn't really looking for a replacement to the X, rather something slightly different this time. With the winter getting closer by the week here in Finland, I wanted to opt for a lighter bike, at least for time being. And at the same time, I wanted to see if a "very light adventure bike" were a possibility. So, I turned my eyes on big bore race bred enduros. Market is very limited at the moment hereabouts, but I managed to find what looks to be a pearl: a KTM 500 EXC Six Days -12 model, easy 40h and 1500km on the clock. I'm very biased to the Six Days -12 model, with being the Finnish ISDE specialty, with cool Finnish flag sticker sets, and all the Six Days trick parts. Let's see, I've yet to actually ride it properly. The bike should definately be up to the challenge, let's see if I am.

Anyways, enough of my petty bike stuff - back to discussions on Xchallenge!

FinnDuro screwed with this post 10-09-2012 at 03:08 AM
FinnDuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:51 AM   #5119
Powershouse
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbarstow View Post
You'd be suprised at how much torque a full 1 gallon Rotopax will exert on the rear rack, even if you stay on the road. Put a 1/4" aluminum plate on the rear, as a piece of cutting board won't take the beating.
Took your advice and fabbed up a rack from 1/4-inch aluminum. Positioned it so it is clear of the straps for my Dirt Bagz. Included a slot on the rear of the rack in case I want to strap something light - a jacket say - over the Rotopax tank.

Now to find a tool tube to replace the MSR bottle where the carbon cannister used to reside.

From Camera Awesome Photos

From Camera Awesome Photos
Old 10-09-2012, 03:52 PM   #5120
kito
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnDuro View Post
Hiya Rob, nice 990 you got there. As for me, I wasn't really looking for a replacement to the X, rather something slightly different this time. With the winter getting closer by the week here in Finland, I wanted to opt for a lighter bike, at least for time being. And at the same time, I wanted to see if a "very light adventure bike" were a possibility. So, I turned my eyes on big bore race bred enduros. Market is very limited at the moment hereabouts, but I managed to find what looks to be a pearl: a KTM 500 EXC Six Days -12 model, easy 40h and 1500km on the clock. I'm very biased to the Six Days -12 model, with being the Finnish ISDE specialty, with cool Finnish flag sticker sets, and all the Six Days trick parts. Let's see, I've yet to actually ride it properly. The bike should definately be up to the challenge, let's see if I am.

Anyways, enough of my petty bike stuff - back to discussions on Xchallenge!
funny thing that .I have been thinking along these lines also . give it a big gas tanka bigger oil capacity maybe a thicker base gasket .
kito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 04:16 PM   #5121
bigdon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,428
Guys if anybody needs them I have a new rear inner fender and tail piece for an XChallenge.
I would sell them quite a bit cheaper than BMW will!

Don't stop riding until you get to the crash , you might save it!
bigdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:10 PM   #5122
mcgiggle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 272
Ohlins service (I have the parts)
Hi folks, I've posted this in Regonal as well!
My wife and I are on-route from the UK, starting in Buenos Aires and finishing in NYC currently in Bogota Colombia heading for Cartagena and up into Central America. As the title says I need a service on my rear shock (BMW G650 X Challenge) can anybody recommend a good shop that can do the work between Bogota and NYC, hopefully closer to Bogota!
I have, well will have by the middle of next week all the parts to do the job so it'll be just a guy/shop that knows what they're doing labour wise.

Cheers
Pete & Caf

www.facebook.com/curryhunt

http://www.facebook.com/curryhunt
mcgiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:19 AM   #5123
DiscoDino
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,820
So can anyone 100% confirm that the Low Fender kit from Rally Raid Products in the UK works on the BMW Xch OEM fork bottoms? Need to move to a low fender as the heat in Dubai keeps the fan on!

Thanks in advance!
Nadim
Old 11-05-2012, 03:18 PM   #5124
GibbonsMonkey
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Front signal suggestions for Lynx fairing?

Hi everyone,

My g650x has the Lynx fairing, and I need to put some signals up front. I'm running into problems finding good solutions due to the tapered profile of the fairing.

They need to be wide enough to be easily distinguishable from a distance, but have posts that don't need to be shaved down at an angle to allow for them to be mounted horizontal to the ground. I don't think the stockers will work for me, as I would need to cut too deep into the posts.

I've considered mounting flush lights directly to the handguards, but I suspect I would destroy them pretty quickly. Anyone have any ideas?

(Apologies for the huge picture. I am new to the internetz.)

Thanks!

GibbonsMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:21 PM   #5125
AZ-Twin
Dusty and Thirsty

Oddometer: 1,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgiggle View Post
Ohlins service (I have the parts)
Hi folks, I've posted this in Regonal as well!
My wife and I are on-route from the UK, starting in Buenos Aires and finishing in NYC currently in Bogota Colombia heading for Cartagena and up into Central America. As the title says I need a service on my rear shock (BMW G650 X Challenge) can anybody recommend a good shop that can do the work between Bogota and NYC, hopefully closer to Bogota!
I have, well will have by the middle of next week all the parts to do the job so it'll be just a guy/shop that knows what they're doing labour wise.

Cheers
Pete & Caf

www.facebook.com/curryhunt
You get your suspension done yet, let me know if you start getting close to Arizona and need support.
2011 North up the CDR
Sierra Vista AZ to Paonia CO and Back through Moab UT

AZ-Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:02 PM   #5126
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool

Oddometer: 3,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by GibbonsMonkey View Post
Hi everyone,

My g650x has the Lynx fairing, and I need to put some signals up front. I'm running into problems finding good solutions due to the tapered profile of the fairing.

They need to be wide enough to be easily distinguishable from a distance, but have posts that don't need to be shaved down at an angle to allow for them to be mounted horizontal to the ground. I don't think the stockers will work for me, as I would need to cut too deep into the posts.

I've considered mounting flush lights directly to the handguards, but I suspect I would destroy them pretty quickly. Anyone have any ideas?

(Apologies for the huge picture. I am new to the internetz.)

Thanks!

Put some cheap LED's in the handguards. The Lynx looks great, but there isn't a good place for front signals on it.
tbarstow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:29 PM   #5127
Yukon Ho!
We can go ANYWHERE!

Oddometer: 132
Coolest turn signals

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbarstow View Post
Put some cheap LED's in the handguards. The Lynx looks great, but there isn't a good place for front signals on it.
On my XCo I have the Lynx, and handguards from Highway Dirtbikes -- they (he! cool guy) offer LED turn-signals built-in to the handguard shields. Excellent simple functional... (LINKY HERE)
When you use LED's instead of bulbs, the X-bikes' computer thinks the electrical resistance looks too much like a burned-out bulb, so it gives the fast flash rate. You can accept that, or you can fight it back to normal slow blink by putting a resistor in-line with the LED's. I used the "Stage I load equalizer" from CustomLED (linky here) -- that wasn't quite enough resistance so now it fluctuates between fast and slow blink. But other than that, mixing LED front signals with OEM incandescent rear signals on the same circuits is just fine.
Yukon Ho! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:09 AM   #5128
gumbellion
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 356
A product I have used on 2 bikes in the past are
Zeta XC Flasher handguards.
I had them on a Husqvarna 610 and loved em
gumbellion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:29 AM   #5129
GibbonsMonkey
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Excellent, thanks for your input guys!
GibbonsMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:32 PM   #5130
motoreiter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,139
Could someone that has mounted the low fender from the 800GS please post a few close-up pictures showing what you had to mod to make it fit?