Johnnyboxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:27 AM   #5298
Caprilian
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Cool2 Side stand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butters View Post

It stands more upright on the sidestand now. Still stable, but I could see it being an issue if parking on a sloped surface:
Take a hacksaw to the side stand- take off 5-7 cm and screw and epoxy a disc onto the end. This is especially necessary for a loaded bike and if you have a rear aux fuel tank setup- all these decrease the lean angle of the parked bike.
Caprilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:37 PM   #5299
Butters
. . . . . .

Oddometer: 2,327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caprilian View Post
Take a hacksaw to the side stand- take off 5-7 cm and screw and epoxy a disc onto the end. This is especially necessary for a loaded bike and if you have a rear aux fuel tank setup- all these decrease the lean angle of the parked bike.
I assume you mean 5-7mm. The bike is only lowered one inch, if I took 2+ inches off the sidestand I think I'd have even bigger problems.
Old 03-22-2013, 04:54 AM   #5300
BikerBobber
Trying to get lost

Oddometer: 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyc21 View Post
Been on the seat for 7 days now and it is much better, however even with the great work on it and the brake in time its just to tall with the Ohlins shock.

It was setup for a 9' 1/2" guy with a 31" inseam on a bike running stock rear shock. (I told him it had a Ohlins but I don't think he new that = taller that stock by a few)

If anyone has been considering a Renazco let me know, I am now debating if I should let it go. Would be willing to consider a possible trade/cash for my G650X Challenge seat.
Wow! That's one tall dude :what:

Sent from my mobile.
My translab adventure http://bobandmike10x10.blogspot.com/
BikerBobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:29 AM   #5301
Caprilian
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Nope , 5 cm. reason being the air shock expands and the rear of the bike thus 'follows you up' when climbing off bike, thereby creating a larger lean angle. The conventional shock does not do this (or far less than air shock) therefore the height of the seat is less leaving the bike more upright.
Caprilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:39 AM   #5302
jonnyc21
n00b sums it up.

Oddometer: 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerBobber View Post
Wow! That's one tall dude :what:

Sent from my mobile.
not sure how I did that one... 5' 9-1/2" my mind to finger connection must have been really messed up the day I typed that... LOL

edited the post...
jonnyc21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:58 AM   #5303
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer: 1,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caprilian View Post
Nope , 5 cm. reason being the air shock expands and the rear of the bike thus 'follows you up' when climbing off bike, thereby creating a larger lean angle. The conventional shock does not do this (or far less than air shock) therefore the height of the seat is less leaving the bike more upright.
Kinda makes sense.
You could ask some XCountry rider (like me) to measure their sidestand as your new coilover shock is about the same length as my Wilbers. I'll try to do that for you and you'll get an idea of what you want based on what mine looks like. When I park mine in the garage (to make space next to my car) I put a 2x4 under it and it is just a HAIR away from completely vertical.

FindMeSpot ~~~ Spotwalla Baja Trip ~~~ Neduro Did Dakar!
snooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:10 PM   #5304
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

Shock springs and length info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butters View Post
According to the spec sheet sent with the shock, it is a "1220" spring. It IS a progressive spring, but I was unable to find anywhere what the actual spring rate is for it. It's length is 337mm.

I believe, but I'm not certain yet, that the lower ride height is a simple length adjustment and there isn't anything special about the shock other than the length adjustment being 25mm shorter. So if somebody was wondering about whether or not to get a shorter rear shock, you have about 1.5" you can mess with. In other words, I'm pretty sure I could bring mine back to the stock length. Shortening it beyond that, there are some differences in construction. At least that's my theory.
Shock analysis is a data intensive topic, I've had such poor performance that I'm still working on this problem for my XCountry. Here's my data:

I have a Yacugar F-RS piggyback coming in the mail as we speak. Yacugar and HyperPro are basically the same people and just added Yacugar as a new brand name. My understanding is HyperPro will focus on progressive springs and Yacugar on straight springs. Yet you and I already contradict that as we both have Yacugar with a progressive?? So who knows. I think most people off road think a straight spring is best, but in my opinion with shorter shocks and hence shorter wheel travel available, I'm hoping progressive will give me a decent ride for the most part but AVOID bottoming on the extreme bumps!

From the information I was given on spring options, I'm pretty sure your "1220" spring is the following, and the approximate dimensions make sense to me:

57mm - Inside Diameter of spring (same as mine, so same shock body size)
175mm - Spring Length
158 to 242 N/mm - Spring Rate (it is like 2 spring windings back to back)

My new Yacugar will have a slightly longer spring than yours (180mm) but a lighter one at a Spring Rate of 150-220 (and a stroke of 65mm). I am very interested in this as I've bumped up the spring rate on my Wilbers 3 times and am up to a 190 N/mm straight spring currently but I still have problems bottoming hard (on sharp edged inputs like a 12" cross rut). I think I would have preferred your spring but we'll see. (I weight 190lbs in my birthday suit, and asked for it to be built for "210lb rider aggressive off road").

Ya know... With your (shorter) 337mm shock length you are approaching having an XCountry only with taller wheels and a hardass seat!

I've got spring data from 2 more HyperPro riders that tour on XCountry's, and so I assume that means they have a shock length closer to ours (shorter-ish).
First Beam(st)er:
- she said her spring rate is 185 - 270 and "...without luggage I can jump the bike without problems. With luggage it bottomed out a few times on the fast rough tracks, but those holes were really nasty"
She said for TeeBee:
- "... his spring rate is 164 N/mm. He had to give it a bit more preload and rebound to keep it from bottoming out. After adjusting it was ok but after this trip he's going to put on a stronger spring."

So this is quite a varied bit of data! Beam(st)er also said she is "short" so her bike is 5 cm lower than TeeBee's so perhaps her shock travel may be even shorter than ours? and if so that may explain why she uses such a stiffer spring rate. ??

Shock Length (i.e. mounting length):
From my earlier research on all XC models shock dimensions if you compare different shock lengths...
... Then I believe the Ohlins BM636 for the XChallenge has a shock length of 360 but the stock XCh air shock should be a bit less than that simply based on its reported wheel travel, because the shock length or stroke is not spec'd. But the seat height will no doubt be a bigger difference because of the unique air shock and its "pogo stick" effect when it unloads (or so I've read). Your new HP at 337 is almost exactly 1" shorter than the Ohlins but I doubt it is 1" shorter than the BMW air shock, ok close though.

The stock 07 XCountry has a 333mm shock and the 09 is only 324mm. I've been riding my XCountry with a Wilbers for 2 years, it has an adjustable length of 327 to 337 and I set it at 327 for commuting and 337 for off road.

I don't do singletracks! but I do ride some serious rocky 4x4 and Baja with it and if I'm careful the ground clearance is decent (meaning I don't hit my Scheffelmeier skid plate much but yeah I did snap my gear shift lever off - oh wait I guess sometimes I do ride singletrack ;) but try not to.

Wheel Travel:
I also am assuming you gave up a LOT of wheel travel. My calculations show that: Wheel Travel = 3.44 * Shock Stroke. And surely your stroke has gone down dramatically (maybe you can quote it or even try to measure it).

My new Yacugar will be piggyback with about the same stroke but 10mm longer (still adjustable). I wish I could have gotten more stroke for more wheel travel but not any longer shock length to keep the seat height down.

Ok finally I just wanted to comment that the XCountry sidestand is shorter and there are always guys on the XCo thread who put on the XCh air shock and now are trying to figure out how to make their sidestand longer. I think there was even one recently. So you might check about a trade?

Old 03-22-2013, 05:33 PM   #5305
Butters
. . . . . .

Oddometer: 2,327
That's a lot to digest!

I do need to clarify one thing: The Hyperpro has a an option to lower your "ride height" either .5, 1, or 1.5". Then there is an option to shorten the shock which drops it another .5".

I haven't quite wrapped my head around how each is done and the effect on travel. However, I think the first option is simply a shorter spring and the second option actually shortens the shock itself (to 332mm I assume).

When I talked to Klaus at EPM I asked him about loss of travel if I got the 1" lower ride height, figuring roughly a 3:1 ratio of wheel travel to shock travel. He said there shouldn't be much difference, but we didn't get into the weeds on this. But my theory is that when you shorten the spring you really don't lose wheel travel as the wheel can still go up and down as before. But you might lose effective travel, since you're not really able to use the portion of the travel when the swingarm and shock would be fully extended. But when you actually shorten the shock, you lose actual travel as the shock can no longer extend to the same length as stock. But I suppose even a dimensionally shorter shock could have equal travel. Hmmmm.

That's my theory, anyway.

And regarding the spring rate, even though I weigh about 175 lbs, I think it's sprung more for somebody around 215-220 based upon my aux fuel tank, luggage, and pelican topcase. But I'm not sure what calculation they actually used to come up with that spring.
Old 03-23-2013, 02:16 PM   #5306
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

Another kickstand option for ya!

*No animal was harmed by any human for this picture (found on the side of a trail)...

Old 04-01-2013, 05:45 PM   #5307
ced40
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Renazco seat.

Been on the seat for 7 days now and it is much better, however even with the great work on it and the brake in time its just to tall with the Ohlins shock.

It was setup for a 5' 9-1/2" guy with a 31" inseam on a bike running stock rear shock. (I told him it had a Ohlins but I don't think he new that = taller that stock by a few)

If anyone has been considering a Renazco let me know, I am now debating if I should let it go. Would be willing to consider a possible trade/cash for my G650X Challenge seat.

Check your PM
Old 04-01-2013, 09:52 PM   #5308
jonnyc21
n00b sums it up.

Oddometer: 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by ced40 View Post

It was setup for a 5' 9-1/2" guy with a 31" inseam on a bike running stock rear shock. (I told him it had a Ohlins but I don't think he new that = taller that stock by a few)

Check your PM
responded. (still have it)

jonnyc21 screwed with this post 04-04-2013 at 02:18 PM Reason: status changed on seat
jonnyc21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:14 AM   #5309
gumbellion
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 357
Pro Screen Question

I have a Jester screen right now but am looking at some new headlights so will be moving to something differnt

I am going to order the Dark Smoke Proscreen for my Xch but am wondering about duties.
For the people who had the screens shipped to the states what was the duty on it if any?
I have the option to ship to the states or canada.
Thanks
gumbellion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 04:37 PM   #5310
Delta61
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbellion View Post
I have a Jester screen right now but am looking at some new headlights so will be moving to something differnt

I am going to order the Dark Smoke Proscreen for my Xch but am wondering about duties.
For the people who had the screens shipped to the states what was the duty on it if any?
I have the option to ship to the states or canada.
Thanks

Just got mine in last week. No duties at all sent to Alabama

10 1200 GSA
07 X Challenge
04 1150 GS(SOLD)
Delta61 is offline   Reply With Quote