Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2007, 05:38 PM   #91
TymeRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
Everything in the UK is pricey, there's gotta be a source for these over here. Maybe if there's enough interest for US/CAD riders, we could organize a group buy.

Any interest?

I was looking at these too. But I have a question. I can see where these would be useful for street use, where the likely mode of usage is when the bike is sliding along the asphalt. But what about on dirt? Wouldn't having these appendages sticking out be more likely to grab onto something and make it more likely to tweak the frame, swingarm, or fork?
TymeRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 08:58 PM   #92
rwamf
Follow me

Oddometer: 1,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
What's the advantage of the Rekluse clutch?
You can't bump start the bike, You loose compression braking on steep down hills, They SUCK
But it does make allot of people get through the nasty stuff without stalling the engine. But with electric start that is not an issue to me, May be with a hard to start kickstart bike????
They are not for me, as my riding style I use the clutch to make the bike do things, learned it from riding Trials
But they sell the hell out of them.
JMO

rwamf homepage
rwamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 09:48 PM   #93
Olas
the darkness

Oddometer: 3,950
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveRed
Hey guys... Need a volunteer!? Woody says he may be interested in building some alloy Billet hubs for the X-Challenge to superlace onto some sexy excel rims. However he needs a doner bike to measure up! http://www.advrider.com/forums/priva...m&pmid=2164656

Someone take two steps forward please.. Or everyone else take two steps back! This is for the good of the GX community

Cheers
I live about 5 minutes away from woody's...Are the wheels from the xcountry the same as the xchallenge? If so i'd be a willing participant...your link didn't work btw..
Olas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 10:12 AM   #94
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,550
The X Country and X Challenge to do not share the same wheels.
Old 12-05-2007, 12:21 PM   #95
Firefight911
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 997
Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but BMW is offering X Challenge handguards through, well, BMW.

They are standard metal pro-bend handguards with an optional small or large weather cover. You can also get an additional spoiler.

Metal handguards are $100 and change complete with mounting kit. Hand weather covers are between $15 and $20.

They are a direct bolt up item. Just ordered them for mine. Will post pics and opinions once I get them.

Also, ordered some rim locks through Motion Pro. About $9 a piece. 2 for the rear and one for the front.

Once these arrive, I'll post the pics of these and the TKC's mounted up.

Just installed the Touratech large shelf and bag. Easiest install I think I have ever done. Took longer to unpack the box than it did to install. Perfect fitment, looks great, and now a place for the toolkit/trail mix/tubes/camera is taken care of. The handles are very easy to use as well.
Old 12-05-2007, 12:32 PM   #96
Bert Fox
Casual Adventurer

Oddometer: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bmwfan
Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but BMW is offering X Challenge handguards through, well, BMW.

They are standard metal pro-bend handguards with an optional small or large weather cover. You can also get an additional spoiler.

Metal handguards are $100 and change complete with mounting kit. Hand weather covers are between $15 and $20.

They are a direct bolt up item. Just ordered them for mine. Will post pics and opinions once I get them.

Also, ordered some rim locks through Motion Pro. About $9 a piece. 2 for the rear and one for the front.

Once these arrive, I'll post the pics of these and the TKC's mounted up.

Just installed the Touratech large shelf and bag. Easiest install I think I have ever done. Took longer to unpack the box than it did to install. Perfect fitment, looks great, and now a place for the toolkit/trail mix/tubes/camera is taken care of. The handles are very easy to use as well.
The advantage of ordering oe BMW accessories at the time of sale, is that they are then covered by the same warranty as the bike. I ordered the same ones as well as the TT large rack. It is all in and I will put it on this weekend! Thanks for the report.
Bert
www.gnatsass.net
Find us on Facebook. GNATSASS
Bert Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 12:36 PM   #97
Max Kool
Xtankteam™

Oddometer: 3,228
Why would you need warranty on handguards? Warrenty is only against manufacturing defects anyway...
Max Kool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 12:37 PM   #98
TymeRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 381
Quote:
Could you post some pics of the TT large rack/frame/shelf, if it's not too much trouble. I'm trying to decide between that and the BMW rack. Want something that provides good grab handles on the rear as well.

Were in NorCal do you live? I'm in Sunnyvale in the South Bay.
TymeRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 12:39 PM   #99
Bert Fox
Casual Adventurer

Oddometer: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Kool
Why would you need warranty on handguards? Warrenty is only against manufacturing defects anyway...
In this particular case it is a moot point. On one of my bikes I did have a w/s added that cracked from a stress point in mounting or perhaps a tweaked mount set, but at least it had a warranty. So depending on the type of accessory it could be worth while...
Bert
www.gnatsass.net
Find us on Facebook. GNATSASS
Bert Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 12:40 PM   #100
Firefight911
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TymeRider
Could you post some pics of the TT large rack/frame/shelf, if it's not too much trouble. I'm trying to decide between that and the BMW rack. Want something that provides good grab handles on the rear as well.

Were in NorCal do you live? I'm in Sunnyvale in the South Bay.
I live in Diamond Springs, CA. This is just outside of Placerville, CA which is 30 miles east of Sacramento on Hwy 50.

Just came on shift this morning (Folsom City firefighter) and won't be home until Friday night so it will be a bit before I can get something up. If nothing is up by then, I'll post them when I get home.

***EDIT: Take a look at the first post of this thread. That is what I just installed. RedbullAddict has some great pics of the exact set-up I have.***
Old 12-05-2007, 12:47 PM   #101
Metteke
Beemer beat in me

Oddometer: 209
Handguards under warranty? I'll doubt it... Mine are bend just in a small crash in the mud...No warranty off course... But they should have held it in my opinion. On the other hand, the Touratech bolts of the 2cm bar raisers did bend as well, as is the magura handlebar.(only slightly) Only 5 km/h, in deep mud...
Front digs in, handlebars agains right hand side lock, and of I went... Enough to bend everything. Front brake reservoir did not move enough, and basically the handguard is bend against the reservoir... Handguard did move a bit too easy... But it's a great bike. I was lucky, because most of the time I'm flat out in second... about 70kmh or something... really need my smaller front sprocket now, after 8 weeks still waiting from two different suppliers... I think I'm the only one in Belgium or so
Metteke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 05:37 PM   #102
Trailace
Dumb Ass

Oddometer: 1,150
Home made Farkel

I made this rack this weekend. Cost me $30 and time.

I designed it so I can put different racks on top.

2007 G650X Challenge
2002 R1150GS ADV
Iron Butt # 7362
Trailace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 05:49 PM   #103
GB
Mod Squad

Nice work Trailace , wanna make me one? I have Happy trail's aluminum Givi plate to mount to your frame!
Old 12-05-2007, 05:50 PM   #104
GB
Mod Squad

Quote:
Do you have a part number for the guards and plastic covers, please?
Old 12-05-2007, 06:19 PM   #105
Firefight911
Studly Adventurer

GB,

I'll see if I can't get the entire accessory sheet emailed over to me tomorrow. If I can, I'll post it for all.