Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2008, 07:07 PM   #1411
edo1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExit?NoProblem
Here's an article on the use of carbon brake rotors in MotorGP racing. http://www.motogp.com/en/about+MotoGP/brakes

Two main points I gleaned from it: they don't work when wet, and don't work until they're heated up.

I love your enthusiasm for invention, Kutch. Just not sure if I'd want brakes with such limited characteristics.
You would also need to find somone to make pads designed to use with CF rotors...
edo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 09:19 PM   #1412
kutch
That fell off where?

Oddometer: 583
Its not the traditional Carbon fiber those super high performance braking systems have...

"Brake pads used with C/SiC discs generally contain ceramic powder combined with metal. While the ceramic provides the necessary hardness, the metal forms a transfer coating on the disc and pad surfaces during a break-in period, creating a film that provides the primary friction surface.
Both C/SiC discs and ceramic-imbued pads are more expensive than traditional materials. At one-fourth the cost of a C/C racing brake, the price tag for carbon/ceramic discs is still high, especially to replace a metal disc that costs less and has worked well for years in everyday driving.
The catalysts for growth of C/SiC disc use likely will be a combination of low weight and increased service life. C/SiC brake discs are designed to last the life span of the car, clocking in at an estimated 300,000 km (186,411 miles) vs. 60,000 km (37,282 miles) for conventional metal brake systems, reports Kwangsoo Kim, president of DACC, in a benchmark of brake disc materials. C/SiC discs are highly abrasion-resistant and reportedly offer more than six times the resistance to thermal shock than cast iron discs; twice that of C/C racing brakes 46,000 Watts per meter (W/m) vs. 6,800 W/m for iron and 16,000 W/m for C/C.

C/SiC significantly reduces wheel weight, adds Hemsted. C/SiC discs offer nearly a 65 percent weight reduction over comparable iron discs, which translates into improved handling, acceleration and fuel efficiency.
Also, unlike C/C discs, C/SiC discs have a stable friction coefficient, operating at both low temperatures and temperatures as high as 1000C (1832F). Iron discs crack at 700C (1292F). Such a wide operational temperature range, combined with the mechanical properties of C/SiC, have opened up possibilities for their use in both aircraft and high-speed train applications."

Besides that.

I'm still going to get a quote on the traditional steel verisions. With and w/o the freezing process.

Kutch
Old 06-04-2008, 01:12 AM   #1413
Storm
Currently Between Crashes

Oddometer: 126
Since we are on the subject of rotors... I seemed to have put a small warp in my front rotor....

Has anyone tried the EBC front rotor? Are they still wavey/contoured? Do they fit?

I'm a bit loathed to pay BMW prices after only 2000 miles on the bike!
Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 03:59 AM   #1414
kutch
That fell off where?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm
Since we are on the subject of rotors... I seemed to have put a small warp in my front rotor....

Its not quite 7 am here....Working on it.
Old 06-04-2008, 06:16 AM   #1415
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,387
Quote:

Has anyone tried the EBC front rotor? Are they still wavey/contoured? Do they fit?

The EBC front rotor will fit, the rear will not.. they are working on it. I also think it's wavey, I had one installed on my second set of wheels, but haven't received them yet.
Old 06-04-2008, 08:49 AM   #1416
Firefight911
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 997
Quote:

Warranty????????
Old 06-04-2008, 08:58 AM   #1417
Storm
Currently Between Crashes

Oddometer: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bmwfan
Warranty????????
I would have thought that rotors would be classed as 'wear parts' like pads and clutch plates - no?
Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 09:30 AM   #1418
GB
Mod Squad

Quote:
I would have thought that rotors would be classed as 'wear parts' like pads and clutch plates - no?
Depends on your dealer.. in the fine print there's a km limit to the warranty on rotors, but your dealer may still replace it under warranty.
Old 06-04-2008, 09:40 AM   #1419
GB
Mod Squad

Since this thread is busy, I'd like to add this link to a thread I just started regarding a possible issue with the design of the headlight mounts on the X Challenge / X Moto (and maybe the Megamoto)

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...68#post7118768
Old 06-04-2008, 11:47 AM   #1420
kutch
That fell off where?

Rear rotor has been mic'ed, print is done and is out for quote at multiple sites.

Its been sent to (2) machine shops for a traditional quote using SS.
And one shop that uses C/SiC.

As soon as I know - you'll know.
Old 06-04-2008, 12:37 PM   #1421
lsellers
a DSRIDER

Oddometer: 1,505
thinking about doin something like this for the xc. Rode quite a bit at night and the glare was killin me.
lsellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 05:33 PM   #1422
smithy1
rally bike slut

Oddometer: 1,133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
Very good info. Could you post a pic of where you drilled your stock shift lever? ...
Here are some pics of my shift lever and TT skid plate. The TT skid plate is quite wide and does a great job of protecting the shift lever. (I do believe that the shift lever will break eventually and I do carry a spare on the bike.)

Pine Barons Enduro Riders Supporting south jersey enduro, hare scramble, and dual-sport riding since 1972! Please get involved and join a club. PM me for details.
smithy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 09:22 PM   #1423
lsellers
a DSRIDER

Oddometer: 1,505
love the tether!
lsellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 09:29 PM   #1424
kres
Arrrrrrrrr!

Oddometer: 1,197
Laugh Just a little warning to wrenchers w/ less then 30mins...

Little warning to those who find another Gear Selector and just want to "toss it on" to your X....

You essentially have to dissasemble the left foot peg assembly and remove an engine case nut in order to remove the selector.

It's not like its hard, but its not something your gunna do in 10 minutes like I used to on my Dakar.

BTW - the Touratech gear selector for an F650GS will perfectly fit an XChallange.

Also - I tossed on the BMW handguards. Fairly straight forward - but be warned as well, your gunna be carrying a few more hex-keys or bits. 4mm/5mm/6mm
Old 06-07-2008, 09:42 PM   #1425
gaspipe
Wandering Soul

Oddometer: 11,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by kres
You essentially have to dissasemble the left foot peg assembly and.....
And make sure you loctite these bolts when you reassemble the footpeg bracket.

Hair of the dog....
gaspipe is offline   Reply With Quote