User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2010, 12:24 PM   #1
yellowbirdrs OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 967
Thumb Best looking bash plate for the V-Strom

I don't have the Strom any more but I always want to add one of these but they only produce them for the Wee today I received an email offering for the Vee.
no affiliation
Podia dl-100
yellowbirdrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 07:21 PM   #2
Voluhzia
iExplorer

Oddometer: 1,599
Warloop Rd in Arkansas will kill it. It looks good, alright...

http://novascotiaexplorer.blogspot.com/
Voluhzia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 04:20 PM   #3
bwringer
Gimpy, Yet Alacritous

Oddometer: 2,089
Any pics of the skid plate on a bike?

Where does it bolt on?
"Do not crinkle your food wrappers loudly. Be considerate to others, or I will bite your torso and give you a disease."
bwringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 09:06 PM   #4
LIVSTROM
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 636
I vote sw motech two tone!
LIVSTROM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 07:35 AM   #5
Ogre_fl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,035
Those do look cool on the 650 strom but its more a fash'n plate than a bash'n one.

Ogre_fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 11:53 AM   #6
Flashmo
Whatever...

Oddometer: 2,539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogre_fl View Post
Those do look cool on the 650 strom but its more a fash'n plate than a bash'n one.
Agreed. The black sides look like plastic.
Flashmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 04:41 PM   #7
bwringer
Gimpy, Yet Alacritous

Oddometer: 2,089
Ooh, that is purty!

Sure, it's not a real bash plate (unless it's somehow a lot stronger than it appears), but very few people actually need a bash plate for grinding over boulders.

The bash plate on my Vee is mainly there to protect the oil cooler and filter from rocks and other crap. It also helps avoid snagging stuff in vegetation.
"Do not crinkle your food wrappers loudly. Be considerate to others, or I will bite your torso and give you a disease."
bwringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 05:46 PM   #8
805gregg
Just Stroming along

Oddometer: 1,515
Check out ADVmoto skid plate much better looking and stronger, allthough I cracked mine.
805gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 08:47 PM   #9
eye.surgeon
...riding California

Oddometer: 221
The above pics are of my bike. I've had this skid plate on for the last 6 months. It's meant for sport touring and does an excellent job as protection for road riding. It's not a bash plate and that's fine with me as like the majority of V-Strom owners I don't ride anything more off-road than occasional gravel.

One nice bonus with this plate is you can change the oil and filter without removing it. I will admit that part of the appeal to me was that it corrects the big-bike-little-engine look of the wee.

eye.surgeon screwed with this post 12-09-2010 at 10:57 PM
eye.surgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 09:47 PM   #10
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer: 7,303
Best looking?

Do remember that you're talking about a V-Strom here.

(yes, I own one)

it might look good but it doesn't look very robust. better off getting one from another source if you're really 'bashing'.
-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.
Schlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 10:59 PM   #11
eye.surgeon
...riding California

A big heavy bash plate may look more robust but in reality they bolt directly into the engine block so you are enjoying a fool's sense of security. If you need a bash plate that can safely support the weight of your strom coming down on a rock, you are riding the wrong bike. Nevertheless there is no shortage of people striving for the long way down look to buy those, I chose a more practical real-world solution meant for how the bike was actually designed to be used. I have a WR450 for real off-road riding.
Old 12-09-2010, 11:51 PM   #12
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer: 14,038
Honestly with the V's low belly it is not the greatest offroad bike, not to say it can't do it but it takes big obsticals badly. When a raccoon shattered mine I replaced it with a SS guard me and a friend made. It goes right on the stock mounts and works just fine.
2006 KLR650
2001 YX426 (street Legal)
buildit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 04:18 AM   #13
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer: 7,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by eye.surgeon View Post
If you need a bash plate that can safely support the weight of your strom coming down on a rock, you are riding the wrong bike.

This is incorrect, as many Strom owners here will tell you.

My bash plate was based to death after several strong hits. It's since been replaced with the stocker since I hardly ride the Strom anymore, but aside from bending itself, it did its job.
-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.
Schlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 08:23 AM   #14
eye.surgeon
...riding California

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbySands View Post
This is incorrect, as many Strom owners here will tell you.

My bash plate was based to death after several strong hits. It's since been replaced with the stocker since I hardly ride the Strom anymore, but aside from bending itself, it did its job.
The fact that your strom survived abuse doesn't make it an off-road bike. While it's not surprising that on ADV many people ride stroms offroad, most V-Stroms spend their lives doing just what they were meant to do, street riding with occasional gravel road use. The Podia skid plate works well for that. If you're trying to make your Strom into a GS you won't want it.

eye.surgeon screwed with this post 12-10-2010 at 08:56 AM
Old 12-10-2010, 10:30 AM   #15
TheMuffinMan
Forest Ranger Magnet

Oddometer: 5,256
Quote:
If you need a bash plate that can safely support the weight of your strom coming down on a rock, you are riding the wrong bike. Nevertheless there is no shortage of people striving for the long way down look to buy those, I chose a more practical real-world solution meant for how the bike was actually designed to be used. I have a WR450 for real off-road riding.
Quote:
The fact that your strom survived abuse doesn't make it an off-road bike. While it's not surprising that on ADV many people ride stroms offroad, most V-Stroms spend their lives doing just what they were meant to do, street riding with occasional gravel road use. The Podia skid plate works well for that. If you're trying to make your Strom into a GS you won't want it.

Good for you and your choice of bikes, I have a DL-650 for real off-road riding and it is a practical real-world solution for doing that and a whole lot more. I don't care what the bike is designed to do; I just care what it can do. I get a kick out of how you assume strom people who make their Strom into a GS (what does that mean anyway, not that it matters) won't want it. Clearly your ideas about bikes, their capabilities, and what other riders want apply to other people and their bikes.

Ribbing on other bikes is fine, but negatively criticizing other people's descisions on bike choice is dumb. You come off as elitist, ignorant, and it seems like you're belittling other people's decisions.

I personally don't care if a dirt bike would be better on the dirt then my relatively heavy v-strom 650. I enjoy the hell out of it, I enjoy and have fun doing a wider range of things on my one bike then the experience I'd have on single-focus bikes. If I'm having fun, or other strommers who go off-road are having fun then what the hell is your problem with that?

As far as the skidplate goes I agree, the engine mounting points are nice, but the shocks will be transferred to the engine versus the frame for plates like sw-motech/advmotostuff if you take a nasty hit with the OP's plate. I personally prefer the adventuremotostuff skid plate. Very thick, very sturdy; much moreso then the sw-motech plate I had on my first strom.
690 Wiki
TheMuffinMan is online now   Reply With Quote