User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2015, 06:38 AM   #1
Shooter1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 465
Move from FXDX TC to FXRS EVO, does it make sense

Looking for some perspective here. I bought a 1989 FXRS-sp brand new and owned it for 23 years and sold it. It was a great bike. I bought a '00 FXDX 4 years ago as it's a better highway bike and I was planning on taking a few trips in my later years, (I'm 58) but over the last 4 years of DX ownership, I haven't taken any trips and the way my job is, it ain't gonna happen. It is what it is. As I grow older I miss the lighter weight of the FXR and just the tourquey feel of the motor compare to the DX. The DX is faster than the FXR, a bit more comfortable and handles great and the practical side of me says keep it. The FXR has a narrower tank, and couple that with the lighter weight, it just feels like a smaller bike which in fact I guess it is even thought the wheelbase is about the same as the DX. Just curious about going back to the older FXR platform. If I thought I was going to bang out big miles at interstate speeds over the next ten years I'd keep the TC. But most of my street riding is two lane blacktop out in the country at 55 mph so the need for speed is not there like it once was. Anyway. any thoughts or words of wisdon from the inmates would be appreciated.
'00 FXDX SG Sport, '06 300XCW,
'07 EXC450, '01 640 Lc4E
Shooter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 10:30 AM   #2
shupe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 196
I have a FXDX also, and I keep searching FXRs on Craigslist.
I think they will become more and more collectible in the years to come.
I wouldn't mind having an Evo in the stable again.

"Experience has shown that it is preferable to use a comparatively large
motor running at a moderate speed in preference to a smaller motor running
at high speed."
-Harley-Davidson sales brochure - 1905

shupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 04:53 PM   #3
bobw
Harden the phuck up

Oddometer: 939
If you find a nice fxr, go for it. I agree with shupe and regardless collect ability there def will be fewer and fewer available as time goes on and if you find it doesn't work as well as planned/remembered I would imagine you could resell a fxr quickly.

Ray Price HD in NC had a clean unmolested less than 10Ks, 1995 FXR "Police" (no police gear, just speedo/tach, last of the fxr's) for sale last year, of course I was only about the 100th caller It was such a bargain and where there is one there has to be others.

Good Luck!
bobw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 05:01 PM   #4
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 5,302
WTF did I just read..... Fx, dx, flx, flxrs, fxrxs, rs, xc, tc... xtc, lmnop...

Sorry man, I'm no help. No idea what those bikes are, but reading aloud, they sound like Yamaha Home theatre receivers.

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 05:25 PM   #5
st3ryder
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
The TC has chain driven cams that will eat up tensioner shoes, and if you're lucky you'll get them replaced before they break up in the cam chest, or convert to gear driven cams, whereas the evo has gear driven cams IIRC, otherwise, the TC is a *much* (much) better engine. My FXDX was, IMO pretty much useless above 55mph...that's why I refer to naked Harleys as "nice 55 mph bikes". The wind blast off the tank really causes a lot of buffeting and there's no way it would be good to travel long distances "at speed", unless you have the full windscreen, not the sport, but the one that stretches below the tank, (and looks like crap) not to mention the shit for suspension and brakes, so bad I considered mine actually dangerous "at speed", even with Avon Venoms...but that's just my opinion. If you really are looking to do some traveling in the future, get a TC 103 bagger, like a Road Glide. Far as the better cruiser between the 2, the FXR has a "following" due to the Erik Buell frame connection, but that evo is gutless. And, the Dyna Glide frame is *much nicer looking* IMO...remember, the whole idea of the Dyna was to lose the Japanese look of that mid-section frame triangle. Both are good bikes, "for a Harley".
st3ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 04:33 AM   #6
Mattbastard
Lazy ass

Oddometer: 2,142
^ Word!

Having ripped apart both engines, I can say from a design perspective the TC is a better motor (except for the tensioners of course, so I went trued crank and gear drive cams). Everything in that motor is built from a more robust perspective. And mechanically, they're both kinda the same. It's like when they were designing the TC they looked at an Evo and said, "Make everything the same, just a little more beefy". And the oil system is better as well.
Mattbastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 08:51 AM   #7
bobw
Harden the phuck up

Oddometer: 939
you guys pick your women the same way? He described his long and enjoyable ownership and seems more than familiar with her, warts and all, so why not ponder another? I think about my old BSA in the same way and it has nothing to do with "how much better" a newer "any other bike" is on paper.
bobw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 10:43 AM   #8
Shooter1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 465
Quote:
Originally Posted by st3ryder View Post
The TC has chain driven cams that will eat up tensioner shoes, and if you're lucky you'll get them replaced before they break up in the cam chest, or convert to gear driven cams, whereas the evo has gear driven cams IIRC, <-- I installed the SE hydraulic camplate in my DX, should be good for awhile and yes, the EVO is gear drive.

My FXDX was, IMO pretty much useless above 55mph...that's why I refer to naked Harleys as "nice 55 mph bikes". The wind blast off the tank really causes a lot of buffeting <-- Hmmm, never heard of or experienced that before. A non-issue for me.

not to mention the shit for suspension and brakes, <-- maybe I don't expect much but I thought the stock suspension and brakes to be pretty decent, certainly wouldn't call it "shit" but that's coming from someone that races a KTM 300 XCW so I'm used to shit suspension I guess.

so bad I considered mine actually dangerous "at speed", even with Avon Venoms <-- maybe you should have tried a different tire, ...

If you really are looking to do some traveling in the future, get a TC 103 bagger, like a Road Glide. <-- re-read the original post. My long distance travelling has diminished, besides, I owned an '05 Road Glide a number of years ago. Nice bike for awhile.

but that evo is gutless. <-- a stock 80" Evo in an FLH platform may be a little soft, but a breathed on EVO in an FXR frame will haul ass, I have personal experience. Apparently you've never ridden one.

I'm sorry your experience with whatever Harley you had was not a good one.
'00 FXDX SG Sport, '06 300XCW,
'07 EXC450, '01 640 Lc4E

Shooter1 screwed with this post 02-10-2015 at 10:48 AM Reason: update
Shooter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 10:54 AM   #9
plugeye
mc caregiver

Oddometer: 3,821
two completely different bigtwins.
i'd actually own another fxr, the fxrt fairing-ed version only.
a dyna is better than a softail.... so what
for the riding your describing, why limit yourself to an HD BT?
just about any bike will do 55-70mph.
Old 02-10-2015, 11:13 AM   #10
woodnbow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,788
I'd say go for it, yes the TC is more robust. Yes it makes more HP and TQ. But the TC's do have cam and complexity issues that Evo's don't have and the Dyna IS a heavier platform. Evo's will run very well with a small investment in head work/pistons, one of several tried and true camshaft upgrades Andrews 46 or 27, EV3030 or Woods W6? are all very good, upgrade ignition module and replace the CV with a Mikuni 42 and you're never going to notice the difference in quickness, you WILL notice the difference in handling, but you knew that already..

This was an '89 before the Sportster Sport shocks and front end. Stock bottom end and cam, the '89 L cam was about the same spec as Andrews EV13, the heads were ported, polished and shaved and ran a Mikuni 42 with a Crane Hi-4 ignition module. I miss this bike, U-turner took us out and totaled it... It was just a perfect motorcycle for two lane roads, handled interstate ok too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plugeye View Post
two completely different bigtwins.
i'd actually own another fxr, the fxrt fairing-ed version only.
a dyna is better than a softail.... so what
for the riding your describing, why limit yourself to an HD BT?
just about any bike will do 55-70mph.
Plug, the fairing on this bike^^ is a Rifle Roadster with the tall windscreen. It worked very well, my wife says this bike was the most secure in wind of any we've owned. I have to agree it handled wind like a knife thru butter... very nice setup for narrowglide Harley's.

woodnbow screwed with this post 02-10-2015 at 11:20 AM
woodnbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 12:15 PM   #11
marshrat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 558
My two cents- buy an FXR. Life is short. It's like being able to experience an old girlfriend without upsetting the wife.

Secondly, I think EVO's sound better than TC's, especially at idle. For relaxed two-lane cruising it doesn't get any better. Go for it.
marshrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 02:48 PM   #12
st3ryder
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter1 View Post
Well I didn't say the experience I had with my HD was a bad one. Just that in terms of performance and handling, like coming to a safe and quick stop from or going round a bend doing 70-80 mph, is not exactly their forte.

If you just want to putt around doing 50-55 mph, go for it, because it don't matter what cam or piston kit you put in an evo or a tc, or what frame you have on a fxr or an fxd, they're still crap compared to bikes that are built for *true* performance from the factory. But, they can be fun as they are are easy as shit to launch, long, low, lots of bottom end grunt, and feel good up to what?...6K? and for about what? 5 seconds and 100 yards. Sure, they'll be "fast...for a Harley" but still crap...and Avon Venoms are great tires...maybe *you* never tried them because they transformed my bike's handling totally from the crap Dunrocks.

I may get another HD some day, really like them,...maybe a Switch Back.

st3ryder screwed with this post 02-10-2015 at 02:53 PM
st3ryder is offline   Reply With Quote