ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Today, 10:39 AM   #1
kderacing OP
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Trans Wisconsin Trail TWAT?

A friend of mine and I are looking to go ride this. However we won't be able to do the whole route. We're thinking like a 2 day trip. He has a GS1200 and I have the KTM EXCF350 but neither of us are interested in just the gravel road type riding. We're also looking for a time when we could maybe connect with someone or a group that knows the route so we can spend less time trying to figure it out.

So my question is are there any group rides planned starting in the Illinois section coming up? We already tried to make one of the MCC scheduled rides work but didn't pan out. So how about it? Is anyone planning a ride like this or maybe even just a 1 day ride anytime soon?
kderacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:38 AM   #2
pirate gonzo
Weirdo

Oddometer: 122
I have ridden the TWAT a bunch of times and you're not really going to find anything more than gravel roads and fire lanes / minimum maintenance roads. The most you're going to get is in Black River Falls area you can ride the ATV trails but it is all sand so it isn't real exciting and the once you get up to the Chequamegon forest you can go off the route and find a bunch of fun places to ride. I grew up in the Ashland area so it is easy for me to find the hidden gems in the Chequamegon. There are also a bunch of fire tower trails in the Taylor county area that are fun to ride. Of course you're only riding for two days so you won't make it that far. You might want to consider just adding on an extra day and doing the whole thing. We typically can finish it in 2.5 to 3 days. Take into consideration that is only one way. We have done it both ways in a week or you can just bomb the highway and be home that night.

The TWAT is easy, load the route on your GPS and just go ride it. You will enjoy it quite a lot even just for gravel roads. We usually stay at Wyalusing State Park the first night as we don't start until after work on Fridays.

I would say the Southern half to Wildcat Mountain is the most interesting part of the ride visually. The northern half is fun also because you can get some speed up and not worry as much about traffic.

Otherwise there is a guided tour of it if you are uncomfortable doing it solo but I personally don't see it being worth it when you can just grab the route and go.
pirate gonzo is online now   Reply With Quote