ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2009, 11:16 AM   #15931
Whitey1
"Whitebread"

Oddometer: 10,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by XPADREX
I went ATVing out back, today... only to discover someone has set up a tree stand on my property.

Let me be clear: as Whitey and Meef knows- I'm pretty open about letting people ride on my property. Hell, Whitey knew my land before he knew me!

However, I don't want people hunting on my property. I'm not anti-hunting, but my kids play out there, and I'm not into having some "shoot at motion" tool cause an accident.

That, and my wife likes the wildlife here (it's one of the reasons we bought out here).

So... ...the question is, what to do?

I'm fucking furious. No doubt this is the type of asshole who interferes with your peace and tranquility, but see s it as a personal attack on his liberties when you take down the treestand and sell it on eBay.

What say ye?

Do you want any help removing said stand and replacing it with a nice sign on the tree explaining you need a formal apology for trespassing or it gets sold.
Whitey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 11:18 AM   #15932
Whitey1
"Whitebread"

Oddometer: 10,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBArbuckle
My driveway is covered in almost four inches of ice. Did that ice storm not make it to you guys up north? Wish I could get out of my garage
The ice missed us but we did get quite a bit of snow. All of the main streets and roads are clear and almost dry in spots. The shaded side streets in town are good for a little roosting in the slush though.
Whitey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 11:30 AM   #15933
XPADREX
Funslinger

Oddometer: 7,887
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitey1
Do you want any help removing said stand and replacing it with a nice sign on the tree explaining you need a formal apology for trespassing or it gets sold.

I might. Like I said, here's what sucks: no doubt some tool will think I'm the bad guy for yanking it down. It's the "Springer" mentality, an external locus of control.
XPADREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 11:32 AM   #15934
bruceride
City Boy

Oddometer: 1,240
Quote:
I went ATVing out back, today... only to discover someone has set up a tree stand on my property.

Let me be clear: as Whitey and Meef knows- I'm pretty open about letting people ride on my property. Hell, Whitey knew my land before he knew me!

However, I don't want people hunting on my property. I'm not anti-hunting, but my kids play out there, and I'm not into having some "shoot at motion" tool cause an accident.

That, and my wife likes the wildlife here (it's one of the reasons we bought out here).

So... ...the question is, what to do?

I'm fucking furious. No doubt this is the type of asshole who interferes with your peace and tranquility, but see s it as a personal attack on his liberties when you take down the treestand and sell it on eBay.

What say ye?
Dude, I think you just got a new tree stand Your property, your tree stand - at least that's how it works on my patch. In all seriousness, ask your local sherrif or PD, if you are in city limits. That way you are covered if (when) the numbnuts makes a stink...
Old 02-01-2009, 11:32 AM   #15935
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,467
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitey1
Tear it down. You are well within your rights to do so. Any idiot that puts something like that on someone elses property should accept teh risks associated with losing it.

Also, I am good at formal apologies, if the tree stand guy needs a ghostwriter.

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 11:58 AM   #15936
XPADREX
Funslinger

If it's who I think it is, it's one of those guys who lives with his "girlfriend" for years while she claims food stamps and other benefits (as they aren't married, his income isn't counted). I think he'[s the one who came to ask my wife if he could hunt rabbit on our property. (At least he asked!)

Frigging people. WTF.
Old 02-01-2009, 01:03 PM   #15937
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,744
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceride
Dude, I think you just got a new tree stand Your property, your tree stand - at least that's how it works on my patch. In all seriousness, ask your local sherrif or PD, if you are in city limits. That way you are covered if (when) the numbnuts makes a stink...
Tear the freakin' thing down. And post a "No Tresspassin" sign where it stood.

That would just scare the crap out of me if I had kids. When I lived in Cleveland, a friend of a friend was out on his property and was shot and killed by some idiot who was shooting at noises. They never caught the bastard. Hope he rots in hell.

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 01:17 PM   #15938
XPADREX
Funslinger

It's torn down, and I dragged it over towards one side of my property closest to where I think the offender lives.

If he's reasonable, he'll get my point. If he's unreasonable, I don't want to get in an escalating vandalism war. I've got more to lose than he does.
Old 02-01-2009, 01:41 PM   #15939
mchester
Honda Cult Member

Oddometer: 1,450
Quote:
I've got more to lose than he does.
Good for you thinking about that BEFORE doing something rash. There's just too many nuts out there these days. Let's hope the guy doesn't realize he's over on your property and comes to apologize anyway after retrieving his stand.

"If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice" Rush

2004 XR650L & 2003 ST1300
mchester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 01:41 PM   #15940
dragoon
I'm the REAL Dingo Joe

Oddometer: 23,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah
I knew you'd think so, and you are my target audience.
Just keep in mind this isn't Jomomma. I'm pretty sure we've been over this before.

daveology rule #143 - never ever pass up a chance to hear a band that has a stand up bass -Mutineer
dragoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 01:44 PM   #15941
bruceride
City Boy

Oddometer: 1,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Dave
Tear the freakin' thing down. And post a "No Tresspassin" sign where it stood.

That would just scare the crap out of me if I had kids. When I lived in Cleveland, a friend of a friend was out on his property and was shot and killed by some idiot who was shooting at noises. They never caught the bastard. Hope he rots in hell.
Damn, that is the height of suckyness! I couldn't even imagine. We keep the kids out of the woods in season, and we have our property posted.

When we moved here the first deer season (and keep in mind I am an avid deer hunter) I get these two guys down in my woods. Minimal orange on, doing a drive between the houses thru a woods that's probably an acre wide. Not near wide enough for a safe shot in any direction but directly behind them.

Me: "What 'cha doing, boys?"
Them: "Doing a drive - we have permission"
Me: "No ya don't, it's *my* woods and I don't want you in here"
Them: "We'll see about that"
Me: (Holding up cell phone in left hand, right has .45 held low and at ground) "Hello Sherrif, this is Bruce Ridenour at ..... and I have 2 trespassers with shotguns on my property..."
Them: "Can we cut thru to walk to our truck?"
Me: "No, walk out the way you came"
Them: "#*&^ you ruined our hunt, we saw a buck in here"

But they left. I'm glad those ding dongs had the presence of mind to keep their muzzles pointed at the ground. Never had a problem since, thank goodness. People are nuts I'll tell ya.
Old 02-01-2009, 01:55 PM   #15942
XPADREX
Funslinger

See, Bruce- that's the attitude I'm talking about. YOU ruined their hunt. The COPS ruined their day by finding the coke in the back of their car. Their BOSS is an asshole because he asked them to be on time.

I can't stand getting drawn into situations with people like this, because I've got two modes myself: exceptionally reasonable, and decidedly unreasonable.

I don't want trouble, but I refuse to be a victim.

I also dislike wasting one of my few weekend days on dealing with this bullshit, which I didn't ask for.
Old 02-01-2009, 01:57 PM   #15943
XPADREX
Funslinger

BTW, unless a certain meeting comes up which I have tentatively scheduled- I think a shoot is in order at my house on Wednesday.

Most likely a few hundred rounds of ammo ought to let whomever know that just because I don't like trespassing hunters doesn't mean I don't love shooting.
Old 02-01-2009, 02:14 PM   #15944
mchester
Honda Cult Member

Oddometer: 1,450
Quote:
BTW, unless a certain meeting comes up which I have tentatively scheduled- I think a shoot is in order at my house on Wednesday.

Most likely a few hundred rounds of ammo ought to let whomever know that just because I don't like trespassing hunters doesn't mean I don't love shooting.
That, and they should get the idea that you are not someone to be taken lightly, if you know what I mean...

"If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice" Rush

2004 XR650L & 2003 ST1300
mchester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 02:17 PM   #15945
XPADREX
Funslinger

I need a couple of ADVers over to send another kind of message:

"Do you know what bein' lonely does to a man? It makes him less than human... ...why are you making me have to cornhole you?"