ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2004, 08:57 PM   #181
Pussboy
Oh, nice marmot.

Oddometer: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Grosjean
Tod@ wrote:
<<<< Nice of you to take some time away from the IBMWR list to talk to us po' folk here >>>>

You guys are poor?? I may fit right in...

But if you're all poor, how do you afford all those KTM 950s then....?

Actually, I can't post to IBMWR right now. My ISP and the IBMWR don't see eye to eye on some level, and nobody on either side can tell me why. Shrug.

<<<< Stay tuned as there's bound to be a pie run or other function to be named in these spaces soon! Of course all the good roads are a wee bit away from Clyde, but you can pick up Tiggerboy in Marion on your way down. >>>

Marion?

I'm in Marion this Wednesday, for an all-day work-related meeting at the Whirlpool plant there. Should be fun. May ride there on my Concours if the weather's good, it's about 90m each way. Others will car-pool from Clyde, but for me that makes no sense as Clyde is out of the way.

After, I'll likely have supper in Upper Sandusky. Is Mugsy's any good?

<<<< Lastly, I'm bummed that Sherwood Anderson is not from Winesburg, Ohio.... >>>>

Clyde *is* Winesburg. If you read some of the stuff behind that book, the people in Clyde got upset as everybody thought he was writing about them, and lotta the stuff was a bit too personal.
Hey Doug,

I'll be in the big city on Wed, sorry I'll miss you. Mot much interesting riding around these parts. It gets better towards Upper Sandusky though. Mugsy's is very good. They have a pretty good steak and their italian stuff is excellent also. They have quite a selection of fine beverages too.

I hope your tires aren't squared off when you leave the county!! Maybe we can get together some other time.

P.S. Did you write the article "Not in my backyard"?
Old 02-24-2004, 08:48 AM   #182
Doug Grosjean
Writer, Photographer, Dad

Oddometer: 281
Hi,

Thanks on info on Mugsy's! Never been there, now I'm looking forward to it.

And yes, I did write "Not in my Backyard".

Hey, it's still up on the Net. Thought it was gone long ago. It's about motorcycling in Ohio with a small child:

http://www.bmwmoa.org/features/grosjean_nimby.htm
douggrosjean@gmail.com

1992 R100gs - 102k (62k are mine)
1993 DR-350s - 52k
2000 Concours - 91k

A slew of others, come and gone....

Author of "Wheels"...
Owner / Operator of 1919 #10 Cirkut camera

Doug Grosjean screwed with this post 02-24-2004 at 04:44 PM Reason: Added URL for "Not in my Backyard"
Doug Grosjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 02:10 PM   #183
dragoon
I'm the REAL Dingo Joe

Oddometer: 22,987
Talking

Quote:

And yes, I did write "Not in my Backyard".

Hey, it's still up on the Net. Thought it was gone long ago. It's about motorcycling in Ohio with a small child:

http://www.bmwmoa.org/features/grosjean_nimby.htm
That's a great article. It will come in handy this riding season. Sometimes riding with BMWRider is like riding with an 8 year old.

daveology rule #143 - never ever pass up a chance to hear a band that has a stand up bass -Mutineer
dragoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 03:29 PM   #184
Rider
Moderator Emeritus

Oddometer: 2,669
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoon
That's a great article. It will come in handy this riding season. Sometimes riding with BMWRider is like riding with an 8 year old.

Yes, Goonie, but I'm a semi-mature 8-year-old.

Hey, I talked to Doug about a year ago. My sister-in-law is from Pemberville from whence he hails. Nice fellow. And a good article ... despite him not mentioning Hilliard or King Dan IV even once.
Old 02-25-2004, 03:36 PM   #185
dragoon
I'm the REAL Dingo Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Rider

despite him not mentioning Hilliard or King Dan IV even once.
Speaking of Hilliard.........Our local football team, Tri-Valley, just hired Hilliard's defensive coordinator as their new head football coach. Looks like we're fucked again this year.

BTW I got the GS started. Looks like I need a new diode board.

daveology rule #143 - never ever pass up a chance to hear a band that has a stand up bass -Mutineer
Old 02-25-2004, 07:33 PM   #186
Doug Grosjean

Hi all,

If you like that article, I'd suggest you save it somewhere. I don't know just how long they keep that stuff up, and I don't keep everything myself either. All that data, I've got scattered in various spots. That one spot, ie the article, is really condensed and handy.

And thanks for the kind words! The writing is just something that I sort of stumbled into.
douggrosjean@gmail.com

1993 DR-350s - 52k
2000 Concours - 91k

Author of "Wheels"...
Old 02-26-2004, 12:38 AM   #187
somecallmetim OP
Surf &/or Die

Oddometer: 1,113
"For Jean-Luc, a 300-mile day is his absolute limit and that number of miles isn't fun for him. But a 150-200 mile can be great fun, provided the day is broken up evenly with other activity"

damn, sounds exactly like rider...

I noticed that you had some sort of seat belt for your boy on the back of the connie, did you buy that or is it a homebrew?
Old 02-26-2004, 04:22 AM   #188
Rider
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Speaking of Hilliard.........Our local football team, Tri-Valley, just hired Hilliard's defensive coordinator as their new head football coach. Looks like we're fucked again this year.

BTW I got the GS started. Looks like I need a new diode board.
Ah, the scourge of the airhead: the diode board.
So you ridin' this weekend, Goonie?
Old 02-26-2004, 04:23 AM   #189
Rider
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by somecallmetim
"For Jean-Luc, a 300-mile day is his absolute limit and that number of miles isn't fun for him. But a 150-200 mile can be great fun, provided the day is broken up evenly with other activity"

damn, sounds exactly like rider...
It depends on what those "other activities" are.
Old 02-26-2004, 01:31 PM   #190
Doug Grosjean

Quote:
Originally Posted by somecallmetim
I noticed that you had some sort of seat belt for your boy on the back of the connie, did you buy that or is it a homebrew?
It's a CRV riding harness, made in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. Made for taking kids on ATVs and horses and such.

It was given to me by Joe, the guy I rode with to Alaska back in 1999 (see Joe here, he's on the left and I'm on the right, at the Alaska trip report... http://www.ibmwr.org/pastevnt/grosje...ka/alaska.html ). His kids had outgrown it, he figured my place was a good home for it.

I'd seen the harness in action before, another friend in DC uses one with his daughter. Works well. After we got it, my son got to where he actually *liked* full-throttle acceleration on the Concours. He didn't like it at all before the harness....

In fact, after we got the harness, he went through a stage where he'd want me to race *everybody* at stoplights.

That was when he was about 6 y/o. Glad he got that out of his system several decades earlier than I did...
douggrosjean@gmail.com

1993 DR-350s - 52k
2000 Concours - 91k

Author of "Wheels"...
Old 02-26-2004, 02:08 PM   #191
somecallmetim OP
Surf &/or Die

Oddometer: 1,113
Quote:
That was when he was about 6 y/o. Glad he got that out of his system several decades earlier than I did...

I figured that was due to a recessive gene on the x chromosome and i'd never grow out of it...
Old 02-28-2004, 08:11 AM   #192
tod2
Appalachian Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
Hey guys -

The weather is beautiful!!! Skies are blue. The sun is out. The snow has melted!

Time to RIDE!
tod2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2004, 01:55 PM   #193
dragoon
I'm the REAL Dingo Joe

Cool2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Rider
Ah, the scourge of the airhead: the diode board.
So you ridin' this weekend, Goonie?
Made it to Mathias BMW today and picked up a diode board and a carb rebuild kit + floats. I may work on those things tonight and tomorrow. I may just jump in all the way and do the valves and fluid while I'm at it.

Old 02-28-2004, 06:54 PM   #194
tod2
Appalachian Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
Quote:
Made it to Mathias BMW today and picked up a diode board and a carb rebuild kit + floats. I may work on those things tonight and tomorrow. I may just jump in all the way and do the valves and fluid while I'm at it.
Wow, I bet your trip to Mathias today cost more than mine did!!!

I just stopped briefly on the way to Cadiz and back via Salt Fork. Hardly any bikes on the road. There were a few cruiser-types parked in front of the bars.

Got one of those fancy BMW chrome oil filler caps. Learned that if it is put in wrong the entire oil filler assembly comes out of the cylinder head. How was I to know that I should have read the instructions
tod2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2004, 05:33 AM   #195
dragoon
I'm the REAL Dingo Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by tod2
Wow, I bet your trip to Mathias today cost more than mine did!!!
Yeah the floats were $29.00 each! I had to put back the floats for the 75/6.

If you're riding around today stop by, I'll be working on the bike so I don't get stranded going for pie next time.

Of course you don't know where I live but it would be an adventure trying to find me now wouldn't it

Seriously, PM if you're bored and looking for a place to go today, I'll give you directions. That goes for all you FF riding today!