ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2010, 02:08 PM   #24571
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer: 13,935
Byron, they may know of you near and far but you'll always be our buddy and retain the nick name "Crash" . As for stories on the road my favorite is still about a guy I met on my solo ride up to Adirondacks.
I had pulled into a closed gas station for a smoke break and he walked up to me asking if I needed gas. He was in his construction uniform and I quickly realized that the cars park around the gas station belonged to the road crew working on I-80. I said I was fine just taking a break. He asked where I was headed and I told him my route was to take me up 66 to 6 through Elmira then on up to Watertown and across to the park.
He told me he used to ride till he had a bad accident on 66 involving several deer with his wife on the bike. The accident was bad enough it broke his wifes arm and left him in a nursing home for several months. The next year after the accident he and his wife drove the car back out 66 and stoped at a road house for dinner. It was a busy night so they sat at the bar. A man came in and asked if they would mind him sitting beside them. They began to talk as they ate dinner.
The subject came up about their accident the year before and the man who had joined them became very quite and intense while listening but interupted the story before the end. He said, "I know who you are and your wife. Your name is .... ..... and this is you wife ....." Surprised he asked how he knew that? The stranger said, "Because I was the guy who found you after the accident and called for help. I still have the newspaper article under the glass on my desk about it.
Indeed, it is a small world but thank God you still can find good people in it. That has been a favorite story of the road for me ever since.

Stories from the road forum now.
Old 01-13-2010, 04:33 PM   #24572
Pudwak
I play with myself

Oddometer: 103
Well I've got my carb halfway back in after jetting. Let's hope I got it right, it's friggin' cold out there (Maybe a t-shirt is the wrong garb for the garage). Still need to swap the pipe out, and put the other random stuff back on. Maybe ride to work tomorrow?
Pudwak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 05:48 PM   #24573
swingset
Got the knack.

Oddometer: 10,753
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudwak
Well I've got my carb halfway back in after jetting. Let's hope I got it right, it's friggin' cold out there (Maybe a t-shirt is the wrong garb for the garage). Still need to swap the pipe out, and put the other random stuff back on. Maybe ride to work tomorrow?
That's the spirit, make plans before you're fully prepared. You're an ADV guy now!!!!

Get that puppy all sorted out, soon it will be riding season and we will systematically break all that's currently working on it.

swingset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 05:51 PM   #24574
z@ch
Turn it up to eleven

Oddometer: 4,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by swingset
That's the spirit, make plans before you're fully prepared. You're an ADV guy now!!!!

Get that puppy all sorted out, soon it will be riding season and we will systematically break all that's currently working on it.
Not to mention how far the jetting will be off when it warms up out there....

z@ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 06:00 PM   #24575
Pudwak
I play with myself

Quote:

Currently it's still 20% taken apart. I decided to quit before I became a statistic. My kerosene heater needs a new wick pretty soon.
I did get a hand full of jets today, so if it's not quite right I can fix it. BTW that thing was WAY easier to put back in then it was to take out.
Old 01-13-2010, 06:04 PM   #24576
swingset
Got the knack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by z@ch
Hush, you!

It's a trail motor 250, should be more tolerant than a big fuel-sucking high-compression race bike....my TTR doesn't notice temp or elevation hardly at all....either that or I'm so sucky I can't perceive any difference. Either/or.

Old 01-13-2010, 06:13 PM   #24577
Pudwak
I play with myself

Quote:

Good point, I didn't go very far. I know the stock lean jetting will not work with either of the exhausts I have, plus the PO put a Unifilter on it (They put on what is pretty much a straight pipe + Uni + no jetting changes). I would have done most of it eventually but I would have been happy with stock for now. 91 XR250L BTW.
I've got an XR250R carb, Supertrapp and an XR250R header for it. I was starting with 45 pilot and 130 main, and one notch richer on the needle. I'm new to dicking with carbs, so If I'm about to trash something, feel free to let me know.
Old 01-13-2010, 06:26 PM   #24578
swingset
Got the knack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudwak
Good point, I didn't go very far. I know the stock lean jetting will not work with either of the exhausts I have, plus the PO put a Unifilter on it (They put on what is pretty much a straight pipe + Uni + no jetting changes). I would have done most of it eventually but I would have been happy with stock for now. 91 XR250L BTW.
I've got an XR250R carb, Supertrapp and an XR250R header for it. I was starting with 45 pilot and 130 main, and one notch richer on the needle. I'm new to dicking with carbs, so If I'm about to trash something, feel free to let me know.
That sounds like a good start. Bikes run leaner in the cold, so if you're just on the lean side, that's probably about perfect for warmer weather.

Here's a good thread on the basics...helps to keep your bearings.
http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=353125

Old 01-13-2010, 06:32 PM   #24579
z@ch
Turn it up to eleven

Quote:
Hush, you!

It's a trail motor 250, should be more tolerant than a big fuel-sucking high-compression race bike....my TTR doesn't notice temp or elevation hardly at all....either that or I'm so sucky I can't perceive any difference. Either/or.
No trouble with ohio elevation changes, eh?
Old 01-13-2010, 06:44 PM   #24580
swingset
Got the knack.

Quote:
No trouble with ohio elevation changes, eh?
No, no trouble there...but in WV I was as high as 3,000 and down at 500 or so by the river, that's a big enough spread I would have noticed I think.

I never noticed it when I lived out west either, some of those changes were even worse....biggest bike there was a 175 4-stroke.

Old 01-13-2010, 06:47 PM   #24581
z@ch
Turn it up to eleven

My DR wasn't too happy with the top of the cherohala but it faired better than the XR250 and xt225
Old 01-13-2010, 07:00 PM   #24582
swingset
Got the knack.

Hey, speaking of outwest and mountains...I'm thinking about doing a trip this year to New Mexico for some desert riding. My mom lives out there now, so I'll be going out a few times a year anyway but I thought about trailering out and doing some exploring. I've been in contact with a few inmates in the area and they're going to hook up and show me around.

If anyone might wanna join me, it'd be a cheap & easy trip...shifts behind the wheel you can make it there in a day, free place to stay all we'd need is gas and food money. I haven't nailed anything down as far as a date, I'm flying out soon to check the area out but the guys out there said the riding is very good and some spectacular scenery.

Old 01-13-2010, 07:29 PM   #24583
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 4,901
Quote:
That sounds like a good start. Bikes run leaner in the cold, so if you're just on the lean side, that's probably about perfect for warmer weather.

The 640 I just bought doesn't need the choke to start when it is 20 degrees. I can't wait to see how badly the thing blubbers come spring time!!

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 07:31 PM   #24584
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 4,901
Quote:
No, no trouble there...but in WV I was as high as 3,000 and down at 500 or so by the river, that's a big enough spread I would have noticed I think.

I never noticed it when I lived out west either, some of those changes were even worse....biggest bike there was a 175 4-stroke.
I'm not sure but I read somewhere that CV carbs aren't as critical to elevation changes as a regular carb with a cable pull slide. Not sure what is on your bikes.

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 07:32 PM   #24585
z@ch
Turn it up to eleven

Quote:
Hey, speaking of outwest and mountains...I'm thinking about doing a trip this year to New Mexico for some desert riding. My mom lives out there now, so I'll be going out a few times a year anyway but I thought about trailering out and doing some exploring. I've been in contact with a few inmates in the area and they're going to hook up and show me around.

If anyone might wanna join me, it'd be a cheap & easy trip...shifts behind the wheel you can make it there in a day, free place to stay all we'd need is gas and food money. I haven't nailed anything down as far as a date, I'm flying out soon to check the area out but the guys out there said the riding is very good and some spectacular scenery.
That would be a blast.

But between cannon trek and the SV rally I think my moto vacation may be about tapped till the fall.