ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2010, 08:53 PM   #26026
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorman
I like the oh shit moment when the parts guy tells you the piece you broke is on back order, indefinately...

Mark, if you fork bottoms the dust cover against the bottom of the fork leg(upside down forks), you may be forcing dirt into the seal at the bottom of the stroke. I always try to keel the legs clean along the full length before my rides. Keeps dried on dirt from becoming inbeaded dirt.
Good advice, I keep them clean, this is a Yamaha mfg screw up. I think most WRs are experiencing it... Yamaha won't admit it nor cover the issue but they did change the seals and protectors for the 2010 model. No big deal, I literally have quit caring, and I just ride it.
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 06:56 AM   #26027
alansz400
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 879
Danville back roads today

Anyone want to ride some back roads today? We rode about 80 miles yesterday afternoon the back roads are nice. If you want to meet up in Danville at noon let me know. Alan
alansz400 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 06:57 AM   #26028
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

OK, Swingset - Bruce - other AR / M4 guys, I'm gonna make the leap to getting one as I'm now allowed to carry a patrol rifle on duty.

There's so many variants and manufacturers that I'm not really sure what I want / need, and I dare not post this in a gun forum 'cause I'd get a different opinion from each person responding.

Intended use will be for barricaded subjects, hostage situations, active shooter or person with gun calls. Engagement range likely would be from 3 to 100 yards; I can't see anything beyond that in a urban setting.

Here's what I think my "needs" are: iron sights, sling, M4 stock, shorter barrel.

I do not feel I need a light, optics, vertical foregrip, or other bling. The optic thing is due to the intended manner of storage, the AR will be in the trunk getting knocked around, and I'm not so sure how well zero will be maintained; plus I'm looking at fairly short engagement distances.

From lurking on the AR forums I'm thinking a 16" barrel, 1:8, 1:8.5, or 1:9 twist, and mil spec.

Some of the AR guys say to avoid DPMS, Bushmaster, etc. I'm not a brand snob but if I'm gonna drop $1000 or so I may as well get the best I can.

Thoughts?
Old 04-03-2010, 07:00 AM   #26029
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansz400
Anyone want to ride some back roads today? We rode about 80 miles yesterday afternoon the back roads are nice. If you want to meet up in Danville at noon let me know. Alan
How's tomorrow look for you, Alan? Yeah, I know it's Easter... but I'm off.
Old 04-03-2010, 07:16 AM   #26030
alansz400
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 879
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah
How's tomorrow look for you, Alan? Yeah, I know it's Easter... but I'm off.
I can be back in Loudonville by 3 tomorrow. Will that work?
alansz400 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 07:40 AM   #26031
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Quote:
I can be back in Loudonville by 3 tomorrow. Will that work?
Lets do it!!!!!!!
Old 04-03-2010, 08:23 AM   #26032
swingset
Got the knack.

Oddometer: 10,803
Quote:
OK, Swingset - Bruce - other AR / M4 guys, I'm gonna make the leap to getting one as I'm now allowed to carry a patrol rifle on duty.

There's so many variants and manufacturers that I'm not really sure what I want / need, and I dare not post this in a gun forum 'cause I'd get a different opinion from each person responding.

Intended use will be for barricaded subjects, hostage situations, active shooter or person with gun calls. Engagement range likely would be from 3 to 100 yards; I can't see anything beyond that in a urban setting.

Here's what I think my "needs" are: iron sights, sling, M4 stock, shorter barrel.

I do not feel I need a light, optics, vertical foregrip, or other bling. The optic thing is due to the intended manner of storage, the AR will be in the trunk getting knocked around, and I'm not so sure how well zero will be maintained; plus I'm looking at fairly short engagement distances.

From lurking on the AR forums I'm thinking a 16" barrel, 1:8, 1:8.5, or 1:9 twist, and mil spec.

Some of the AR guys say to avoid DPMS, Bushmaster, etc. I'm not a brand snob but if I'm gonna drop $1000 or so I may as well get the best I can.

Thoughts?
For a duty gun, short & easily deployed are the two features I'd most concern myself with. If you're permitted to use dept. letterhead, or heck even if you're willing to do the paperwork, consider an SBR in 14" length....ideal for your described use and no appreciable loss in ballistics over a 16" barrel. That 2" might make a big difference if you have to swing it in tight quarters or around obstacles. Twist the 1:8 allows you a heavier duty pill like the 69 TAP round, and still good performance from a surplus or plinking ammo.

I'd reconsider optics too, if for no other reason than speed of acqusition in a high-stress environment lends itself well to a reflex optic like the Eotech, which is plenty strong enough to hold zero when being trunk-bound. Nothing wrong with the simplicity of irons, but IMHO if it's going to be a gun you intend on using on the job, I'd do some practical shooting in a training environment with both before committing to irons only.

As for configuration, I'd go govt. profile all the way. Plenty accurate, lighter weight, less front heavy and especially if you intend on adding things down the line....and your mind may change on what you hang on the gun as you use it. I'm not really into the "bolt everything you can onto the gun", not at all, but once I took a couple carbine courses and did some shoot-house/urban training to learn about home defense I really changed my mind about a light/vertical grip. A light railed forend might not be a bad thing to consider, even if right now you don't foresee much being on it but rail covers.

As for brand, lots of good ones out there and you're shopping at the right time everyone's starting to have stuff in stock again. Bravo Company, Colt, Daniel Defense, Noveske, S&W are (in order) where I'd put my money for quality (price follows). If you're looking to save some duckets, you can put together a stripped lower, add an upper and probably save some coin doing it that way - I can help you with the assembly (really easy). I also have an FFL friend in Heath that's a fellow rider and will help with transfer. He's got Stag Arms stripped lowers cheap right now, too.

This is all a non-leo opinion, but I shoot with a lot of guys who use them on the job and have some experience with tactical AR's. If you'd like some more advice on duty weapons, AR15.com has a sub-forum for LE and there's some folks there that really know their stuff.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=1&f=76

swingset screwed with this post 04-03-2010 at 08:35 AM
swingset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 08:24 AM   #26033
swingset
Got the knack.

Oddometer: 10,803
Quote:
Lets do it!!!!!!!
I might be in for that, too!

swingset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 12:00 PM   #26034
mynamewasmud
Hillbilly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,306
Quote:

Thoughts?
My 2 cents worth. Bushmaster ORC with an ACOG, 4 rail furniture on the front with LED light and laser. Twist would depend on how heavy of a bullet you intend to use, with that said if you are only shooting out to 100 yards it will not make a remarkable difference. Now I'll give my $1 worth, get on Brownells and go to the Build your AR section and not end up with a bunch of crap in a box that you can't give away. That way it is exactly what you want and not a platform to start from. Also check out the 870 mount for underneath, load that with flashbangs, bolos and flechettes. That will be a complete assault weapon that does everything but play with your nuts. Oh yeah, if your sight is electronic and under a certain power you won't have to have scoped rifle qualification.
mynamewasmud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 12:06 PM   #26035
z@ch
Turn it up to eleven

Oddometer: 4,711
Quote:
Originally Posted by mynamewasmud
That will be a complete assault weapon that does everything but play with your nuts.
He could just hold it lower.
z@ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 01:31 PM   #26036
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 5,112
Quote:
We rode about 80 miles yesterday afternoon the back roads are nice.
I did 74 today on the single speed, now the little girl wants to go out on the trail-a-bike. My legs are dead

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 03:31 PM   #26037
gkgeiger
Every ride is an ADV

Oddometer: 615
Did 165 on the 690 Wed., 250 on the Bimmer with my buds Thurs., and 200 on the Bimmer with the wife yesterday. Life is great!
'12 NC700X/D
gkgeiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 08:58 PM   #26038
dox
How much for the ape?

Oddometer: 2,647
Spotted a light blue strom and an old airhead BMW at the intersection of SR83 and Cambridge Rd. today while driving. The bimmer had a passenger. Both had luggage but didn't spot any ADV stickers. Anyone we know?
Old 04-04-2010, 03:59 AM   #26039
mynamewasmud
Hillbilly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,306
Happy Easter everyone.
mynamewasmud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 04:25 AM   #26040
gelandestrasse
Fidem Scit

Oddometer: 20,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by mynamewasmud