ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-28-2010, 08:14 AM   #31876
mgorman
Crashing since 1964
 
mgorman's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Massillon, Ohio
Oddometer: 4,897
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah
A few spokes look like they pulled through the wheel and the wheel is damaged where they connect.
I'll bring my spoke wrenches. Of those that pulled through, we can find out if the hole in the rim failed or the head of the nipple broke off. Some wheels can be temporarily fixed by putting a washer between the nipple in the rim.



If anyone else is coming from the north, they are welcome to ride with me*




*must have own bike, women excluded
__________________
Michael

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 08:15 AM   #31877
BikerGeek99
Horizon Chaser
 
BikerGeek99's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Columbus, OH
Oddometer: 1,288
The wife and I are gonna be in Cleveland attending the Fabulous Food Show (yes, we're food geeks) so you'ns'all have a good time at the garage day!
__________________
Thank God for the man who put the white lines on the highway.
- Michael Stanley


- '09 FLHTCU
- '04 FJR1300
BikerGeek99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 08:32 AM   #31878
invisible monster
Gnarly Adventurer
 
invisible monster's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Perry County, OH
Oddometer: 482
Quote:
if Ron is okay with it, I will bring it to garage day; we can open it up; and if it will need parts then I will leave it there while we wait for parts to arrive...
I would not mind this at all Meef.
invisible monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 09:23 AM   #31879
'Flagger
..this space for rent..
 
'Flagger's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Columbus, OH
Oddometer: 2,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorman
I'll bring my spoke wrenches. Of those that pulled through, we can find out if the hole in the rim failed or the head of the nipple broke off. Some wheels can be temporarily fixed by putting a washer between the nipple in the rim.
I have a spare rim, too. The hub it's attached to is trashed and both wheels would need to taken apart, but if his rim is junk, I'm sure somebody here knows how to lace a wheel.
__________________
- B

Proud to be an inmate of AdvRider.
'Flagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 09:43 AM   #31880
B-Mac
Aged Beef
 
B-Mac's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Hocking Hills, OH
Oddometer: 545
Swing's Halloween Ride, Update

Date: Sunday 31 Oct 2010
Show Time: 10am/1000hr
Trail: WNF- Monday Creek Trail
Trail Permit Required, Pick up at Baymont Inn and Suite located at the 33/SR664 Logan Exit. Hotel is across from McDonald.
Trail Permit Cost: $12.00 Day
Staging:
B-Mac House, North end of Logan off 93. PM for address.

Note: There are tool's and garage to do any last minuet mods before ride. also after ride there will be Chili, Brats, Beer, Soda. and Pressure Washer available for consumption and use.

List:
Swingset, Miguez, Mgorman, S2p & Rasthomas, B-Mac, Miketv and maybe a few Strap Hangers who have yet to be remembered.

Weather Forecast
NOAA: Mostly Sunny high near 62F

__________________
Brian DL100K4 & Z1000

B-Mac screwed with this post 10-28-2010 at 12:20 PM
B-Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 10:06 AM   #31881
miguez
Miguez Rally Racing
 
miguez's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: In a rally or prepping for one
Oddometer: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Mac
Date: Sunday 31 Oct 2010
Show Time: 10am/1000hr
Trail: WNF- Monday Creek Trail
Trail Permit Required, Pick up at Baymont Inn and Suite located at the 33/SR664 Logan Exit. Hotel is across from McDonald.
Trail Permit Cost: $12.00 Day
Staging: B-Mac House, North end of Logan off 93. PM for address.

Note: There are tool's and garage to do any last minuet mods before ride. also after ride there will be Chili, Brats, Beer, Soda. and Pressure Washer available for consumption and use.

List: Swingset, Mgorman, S2p & Rasthomas, B-Mac, Miketv and maybe a few Strap Hangers.

Hey Brian, please add me to the list! Or maybe I am one of the Strap Hangers :).
__________________
"Man's reach exceeds his grasp, and man's grasp exceeds his nerve"

My 2012 Vegas 2 Reno adventure (on a 990 Adventure) starts here!
miguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 10:29 AM   #31882
B-Mac
Aged Beef
 
B-Mac's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Hocking Hills, OH
Oddometer: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by miguez
Hey Brian, please add me to the list! Or maybe I am one of the Strap Hangers :).
I am so sorry Miguez, "I bow to you in humble mortification" You were the

first to sign up and I had a senior moment wont happen again my friend,
__________________
Brian DL100K4 & Z1000
B-Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 10:44 AM   #31883
rxcrider
Beastly Adventurer
 
rxcrider's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: N Ridgeville OH
Oddometer: 1,226
I've been given a provisional hall -er I mean garage pass for the 13th. So provided I don't piss her off on the 12th - see you there
__________________
'95+'95+'96 BMW R1100RS/RSL
AMA, OMTA (ohio organization), BRC, BMWMOA
rxcrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 11:20 AM   #31884
mgorman
Crashing since 1964
 
mgorman's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Massillon, Ohio
Oddometer: 4,897
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Flagger
I'm sure somebody here knows how to lace a wheel.

It's not bad, getting the nipples off without destroying them is the hard part. Making sure the valve stem is between parallel spokes and the enter the rim at the correct direction is the most important. Locktite (or nail polish in a pinch) should be applied also.


Is there a vice in the garage?
__________________
Michael

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 11:42 AM   #31885
rxcrider
Beastly Adventurer
 
rxcrider's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: N Ridgeville OH
Oddometer: 1,226
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorman
It's not bad, getting the nipples off without destroying them is the hard part. Making sure the valve stem is between parallel spokes and the enter the rim at the correct direction is the most important. Locktite (or nail polish in a pinch) should be applied also.


Is there a vice in the garage?
If not, I have a small portable that can be clamped to a kitchen table - how wide do you need the jaws to open?
__________________
'95+'95+'96 BMW R1100RS/RSL
AMA, OMTA (ohio organization), BRC, BMWMOA
rxcrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 02:16 PM   #31886
miguez
Miguez Rally Racing
 
miguez's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: In a rally or prepping for one
Oddometer: 477
Big Balls

http://www.streetfire.net/video/big-...ide_738969.htm
__________________
"Man's reach exceeds his grasp, and man's grasp exceeds his nerve"

My 2012 Vegas 2 Reno adventure (on a 990 Adventure) starts here!
miguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 02:20 PM   #31887
swingset
Got the knack.
 
swingset's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Central Ohio
Oddometer: 10,753
Quote:
Originally Posted by miguez
I've seen that before, no fucking thank you.

I got a tiny dose of a trail like that in NM on the Vee, only maybe 40 yards long and 1/3 again as wide, but it still freaked me the hell out. I sweat more in those 40 yards than in 4 years of wrestling workouts.

I'm not sure it's balls, I think it's just a complete lack of concern for your own mortality.
__________________
The Rant-Fu blog & podcast ->Rant-Fu




swingset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 02:23 PM   #31888
miguez
Miguez Rally Racing
 
miguez's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: In a rally or prepping for one
Oddometer: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by swingset
I'm not sure it's balls, I think it's just a complete lack of concern for your own mortality.
Very often that is referred to as Big Balls :). Another event that requires as much disregard for your life is the Dakar. If you have not yet read Race to Dakar, it's worth it, I am finishing it now.

Think what you will about Charley, but the story is a good description of how brutal the Dakar is to the competitors, and the world of difference between the pro, team-supported riders and the privateers. Some of the stories are just astounding, at least to me.
__________________
"Man's reach exceeds his grasp, and man's grasp exceeds his nerve"

My 2012 Vegas 2 Reno adventure (on a 990 Adventure) starts here!
miguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 02:24 PM   #31889
rxcrider
Beastly Adventurer
 
rxcrider's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: N Ridgeville OH
Oddometer: 1,226
Quote:
Originally Posted by miguez
I know you think the 990 is a do everything bike, but this might be where you should draw the line. If the trail has guide wires for hikers to hold on to, you shouldn't take a twin cylinder motorcycle on it - ok
__________________
'95+'95+'96 BMW R1100RS/RSL
AMA, OMTA (ohio organization), BRC, BMWMOA
rxcrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 02:28 PM   #31890
miguez
Miguez Rally Racing
 
miguez's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: In a rally or prepping for one
Oddometer: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by rxcrider
I know you think the 990 is a do everything bike, but this might be where you should draw the line. If the trail has guide wires for hikers to hold on to, you shouldn't take a twin cylinder motorcycle on it - ok
Oh shit yeah you're right! I think most bikes can do most things, it's a matter of what the rider is willing to do, i.e. Elliot riding his GoldWing off-road.

But I wouldn't take a bicycle on that trail, that's plain nuts!
__________________
"Man's reach exceeds his grasp, and man's grasp exceeds his nerve"

My 2012 Vegas 2 Reno adventure (on a 990 Adventure) starts here!
miguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014