ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2010, 04:57 PM   #31951
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 5,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by miguez
Mike, big 10-4 on both... We could trail both bikes together, but we'll have to find a trailer...
I just bought a 7x14 with dual axles, brakes and ramp door. I'm trying to figure out how many bikes I can get in it and still have room for some "comforts" for the wife up front like fridge, sink, can, windows and fold down bunks.

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 04:59 PM   #31952
miguez
Miguez Rally Racing

Oddometer: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorman
I just bought a 7x14 with dual axles, brakes and ramp door. I'm trying to figure out how many bikes I can get in it and still have room for some "comforts" for the wife up front like fridge, sink, can, windows and fold down bunks.
Damn, that's awesome!!!

So, are you interested in running those two races? Or perhaps some others? And do you know of a good place around here to get experience in sand at speed?

My 2012 Vegas 2 Reno adventure (on a 990 Adventure) starts here!
miguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 05:02 PM   #31953
Just GO!
Countersteer it.

Oddometer: 2,867
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller
Attempt at humor. I am moving that day, but I'm hiring movers. My friends and I are all too old and broken down to help each other move at this point

My brother used to have a pickup and he had a bumper sticker that read.......

"Yes, this is my truck and no, I won't help you move."
Just GO! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 05:02 PM   #31954
miguez
Miguez Rally Racing

In the spirit of the recent Rally topic

It's not a bike, but I figured we can all appreciate good engineering. This is the space frame on the VW Touareg, the car that has dominated the Dakar in the last two years. Looks identical to the street version, doesn't it?

Old 10-30-2010, 05:25 PM   #31955
miketv
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 332
Hey folks,

I'm out for tomorrow @ Wayne, unforeseen obligations coupled with total sleep deprivation (courtesy of my weekly circadian bipolar dance) have once again fucked up any chance for a nice day riding w/friends. Ya'll have a great time, I'll see ya around.

Mike

P.S. if yer up @ 3am and bored feel free to gimme a ring, I'm sure I'll be wide awake and staring at infomercials, again...
miketv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 06:03 PM   #31956
Whitey1
"Whitebread"

Oddometer: 10,071
Quote:
It's not a bike, but I figured we can all appreciate good engineering. This is the space frame on the VW Touareg, the car that has dominated the Dakar in the last two years. Looks identical to the street version, doesn't it?
WOW!

Those are some gorgeous welds.
Whitey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 06:11 PM   #31957
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitey1
I got that part, I didnt realize you were moving. You're staying around here I hope?
Yea, I've been pretty quiet about things the last couple of months by design. Someday I'll tell the whole story, but the short of it is I've become employed in another profession and the commute is up to three hours a day. It is located less than a mile from where Candi works, but because of the dogs and differing schedules we can't ride together. So we are commuting 1000 miles per week between the two of us.

I'm an analytical guy. Good with logic and numbers. I'm also a bit obsessive about the security of our future at times, and am a disciplined saver. I wasn't always this way and neither was Candi, but we are now. Recently a friend of mine bought a vacant foreclosed home in Obetz. 12 years old, 4 bedrooms. The pipes had burst so there was damage to fix. It's done now and he's in it for less than $100k. After reappraisal he now has 30% equity And that got me to thinkin - we've all gotten royally screwed over the real estate meltdown. Every single one of us. We're all paying for it, whether everyone realizes it or not. While looking at my existing home and the wallop it has taken in value I figured really the only way to make up for that is to buy another property at currently deflated prices. But I didn't want to just buy a property, I wanted something worth owning and living in as a primary residence. Something nice that has a chance to regain some value over time, but not particularly expensive. And maybe if I played it all out properly and bought close to work I could get some much needed time back in my day. So here's how it shook out:

I did a little math to try to figure out what a 1000 mile per week commute costs. I figured gasoline at $2.75/gal, insurance, vehicle depreciation, and parts only. Our cost of commuting is artificially deflated because I keep all vehicles running. So there are no labor costs. Long story short, even with artifically deflated repair and maintenance costs I figured out we are going to flush a home mortgage out the tailpipe every year in commuting costs. This would only get worse as gas prices go up. So I made a pre-emptive strike and am buying another home that is 15 miles from work, down in the Grovetucky area. We'll each get the added benefit of up to two more hours of free time each day in time saved due to the short commute. I'm going to sell off a couple of vehicles since my driving/riding will probably drop to less than 15k per year combined, which will save more money. Because mine is an overtime eligible position and there is more of it available in the summer months than I could possibly work, that extra two hours per day turned into overtime combined with the savings in commuting expense literally pays for the entire house, insurance, interest, taxes, utilities - pretty much everything.

So there you go. We love our existing home beyond words. We built much of it with our own hands. It was done right, it is beyond solid, and I know its mechanicals inside & out. We love the property, our friends, the quietness of the location, everything except the commute. It just isn't practical to live here anymore, and we have to be realistic. When we built this place my commute was 35 miles each way. Hers was 62 each way, but it was only 3 days per week. At that time the traffic on 33 coming into town was relatively light, and you could time it so you didn't do any sitting. What a difference a decade makes. Try getting up 33 in the mornings now. It's a fucking parking lot. I've tried leaving at 6 A.M. to beat the rush and found myself sitting in the middle of it. There's no way around it.

So as much as we love the woods and the hills of S.E. Ohio we're out. Being here is great, leaving here is incredibly sad, but man, we're so burned out on all of the travel time. We're now middle aged and getting older. Time is becoming more valuable. We don't wish to spend it all in a car or on a bike running over the same stretch of highway every day. This home would be a great place for someone who doesn't have to go to Dublin every day. It would be great for me again in 15 years when I hope to retire. It just isn't great right now

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 06:14 PM   #31958
miguez
Miguez Rally Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketv
Hey folks,

I'm out for tomorrow @ Wayne, unforeseen obligations coupled with total sleep deprivation (courtesy of my weekly circadian bipolar dance) have once again fucked up any chance for a nice day riding w/friends. Ya'll have a great time, I'll see ya around.

Mike

P.S. if yer up @ 3am and bored feel free to gimme a ring, I'm sure I'll be wide awake and staring at infomercials, again...
That's a bummer, Mike, we'll miss you!

See you soon.

Old 10-30-2010, 06:18 PM   #31959
mynamewasmud
Hillbilly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,306
Quote:
Damn, that's awesome!!!

So, are you interested in running those two races? Or perhaps some others? And do you know of a good place around here to get experience in sand at speed?
Any of the state park beaches would give you the thrill of staying out in front, the rangers will help you with your practice.
mynamewasmud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 06:21 PM   #31960
Solace
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 892
Quote:
Yea, I've been pretty quiet about things the last couple of months by design. ... So I made a pre-emptive strike and am buying another home that is 15 miles from work, down in the Grovetucky area.
We'll be neighbors ...

Later,
M
Solace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 06:22 PM   #31961
Whitey1
"Whitebread"

Oddometer: 10,071
Quote:
Yea, I've been pretty quiet about things the last couple of months by design
You have definately done your homework and it all makes perfect sense. I work a lot of hours but I have a 5 minute commute so it isn't very bad. I have recently thought about Meef and his huge commute and how I would dread those wasted hours and the cost of gas. Dont get me wrong, I would do it if I had to, but I would soon find other living arrangements like you now are and Meef is looking to do.

I was just worried you were moving to Montana to open up a Quiznos.

Whitey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 06:39 PM   #31962
Bueller
Cashin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitey1
You have definately done your homework and it all makes perfect sense. I work a lot of hours but I have a 5 minute commute so it isn't very bad. I have recently thought about Meef and his huge commute and how I would dread those wasted hours and the cost of gas. Dont get me wrong, I would do it if I had to, but I would soon find other living arrangements like you now are and Meef is looking to do.

I was just worried you were moving to Montana to open up a Quiznos.

My friend - the one who bought the foreclosure and served as the basis of my plan - opened a Quizno's in the greater Cols area when Quiznos was all the rage. He owned it a year and absolutely lost his a$$. Well into a 6 figure loss. It sold several times thereafter, each time selling for a fraction of the previous purchase price. I don't even know if that location is still in business, but from the stories my friend told about dealing with the mother ship Quizno's corporate has crushed the dreams and finances of a lot of people.

Old 10-30-2010, 06:40 PM   #31963
Bueller
Cashin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace
We'll be neighbors ...

Later,
M
You'd better hope not. When others see rif-raf like me moving in your property value will plummet, the likes of which hasn't been seen since the great depression. There goes the neighborhood

Old 10-30-2010, 06:54 PM   #31964
z@ch
Turn it up to eleven

Oddometer: 4,699
Miguez, head to Michigan for sand. Or just go to Ontario.
z@ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 07:15 PM   #31965
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,548
Quote:
Originally Posted by z@ch
Miguez, head to Michigan for sand. Or just go to Ontario.
+1, go to the upper LP. You'll get your fill.

Re: moving, I'm getting ready to lose my ass on my house, assuming it does sell; but on the upside, as you said Greg, I can buy a home for a similarly deflated value. Looking around Gratiot / Brownsville, but not looking seriously until mine sells, since I can't afford two house payments.

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote