ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2010, 09:39 AM   #31981
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by dox
Nice seein' ya yesterday, Denny. Thanks for the new treads.

Bueller: Congrats on the big changes. And, for the record, I would be willing to bet that I could make it to your new house in Columbus faster than your old one in Logan. You lived in a maze
Well don't forget where it is. Now that it's not our principal residence once we get it squared away after the move there might be some kind of party before we sell it!

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 11:52 AM   #31982
miketv
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller
The question for me then was the same as it is now - it isn't whether or not I can get that bigger/nicer house, but instead is a question of whether or not we need it. The answer to that question is a resounding "no". So - a modestly priced home on conventional financing it is, financed through my local credit union and the same loan officer I've used before. Great service, reasonable rates, and most likely just like my current mortgage they consider us a good enough risk to keep the mortgage in house and service it themselves instead of selling it off to the latest conglomerate. Been down that road too. Fuck J.P. Morgan Chase Bank one with a backhoe
dude, have you been living my life for the last 5yrs? We have always played it conservative also but recently I've questioned the decision to stuff two adults and two kids in an 1000sq ft cottage. It's cozy but we manage well and have the added benefit of some financial leeway if circumstances were to change.

Oh yeah, and JP Morgan Chase? FOAD
miketv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 12:43 PM   #31983
mobyfubar
cd /;rm -rf *

Oddometer: 251
Glad you were able to fix your employment situation, Greg. Congratulations!

Good luck selling the old place quickly.
mobyfubar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 01:04 PM   #31984
dox
How much for the ape?

Oddometer: 2,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by miketv
dude, have you been living my life for the last 5yrs? We have always played it conservative also but recently I've questioned the decision to stuff two adults and two kids in an 1000sq ft cottage. It's cozy but we manage well and have the added benefit of some financial leeway if circumstances were to change.

I'm not sure how conservative we are with our money and paying down debts quickly, but we try to be conservative with what we buy that it isn't over our heads. Works well for us, we've got a little bit put away for a rainy day, and I like taking mrs. dox for a nice evening out once in a while, no matter what the cost is.

As for living in a modest home... our little ~1250-ish square foot raised ranch has actually been one of the better decisions we have ever made. I'm not sure I really liked it much then, but I appreciate the benefits of it now and have actually grown to be very happy with it. We purchased it in the post-9/11 market crash, and our interest rate at the time was so low, that even in the current market, it wouldn't pay for us to go through the hassle of refinancing.

In the beginning, I always kinda looked at this as a "starter home" (and perhaps it still is), we've somewhat grown into it in the sense that I enjoy having a relatively low maintenance home/lawn/driveway.

While the interior of the house needs some updating, the exterior is now spruced up with new windows and siding. Maybe if I would stop buying motorcycle related things we could actually get that new kitchen and bathroom
Old 10-31-2010, 01:13 PM   #31985
Bueller
Cashin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketv

We certainly haven't been that conservative. Our current house comes in at a little over 3500 s.f., but again we built it ourselves and only finished one floor at the time we built it. We then financially recouperated for about 5 years, and only then did we finish the lower level. One of my worries about this situation has centered around how we fit the contents of a 3500 + s.f house into the new 1587 s.f. house once this one has sold. The answer? In the end it's going to feel good to pare down and simplify our lives, though I know I'm really going to miss the Miata, which will be sold next spring. I'm putting the Harley and the sidecar up for sale again. I'd be happy if I sold the sidecar because I can't use it anymore, but I'll be sad to see the Harley go. In the end the goal is to have a simpler but still comfortable life and recoup time I can then invest in my new career, or just have it to enjoy. I've been a slave to too many possessions for too many years. Almost every weekend is spent at least in part fixing or maintaining something. I've burnt immeasurable amounts of time and money on the road commuting insane distances because we really do love living here. But eating up to 8 motorcycle tires per season, getting under a car every four weeks, and trying to keep as many as 8 vehicles at a time insured and maintained - partially for hobby and partially for necessity - that's a young man's game. It's been ten years. I'm ready to try something else!

Old 10-31-2010, 01:16 PM   #31986
Bueller
Cashin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dox
In the beginning, I always kinda looked at this as a "starter home" (and perhaps it still is), we've somewhat grown into it in the sense that I enjoy having a relatively low maintenance home/lawn/driveway.
My Dad says the sooner we all stop looking at our homes as investments and start looking at them as a place to live we'll all be much better off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobyFubar
Glad you were able to fix your employment situation, Greg. Congratulations!

Good luck selling the old place quickly.
Thanks

Old 10-31-2010, 01:24 PM   #31987
Whitey1
"Whitebread"

Oddometer: 10,071
Quote:
My Dad says the sooner we all stop looking at our homes as investments and start looking at them as a place to live we'll all be much better off.

Thanks
AMEN.

Eventually I want to move to the country (still close to work but actually have a yard.) and turn this into a rental, but for now it is cheap, and safe. I could make a pmt a week right now if I had to, and if I change careers I dont have to worry about losing my families home. That has kept me contempt. My wife, not so much.. lol She says we ran out of room, I say we filled it up nicely and have no room for more shit!

Whitey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 01:59 PM   #31988
panaman
Internet Shopper

Oddometer: 571
Quote:
One of these days soon I'll tell the whole story about the manner in which the piece of fucking garbage I used to work for tried to profit off of my injury. Unbelievable story that I've intentionally been very quiet about while I investigated my rights and legal aspects of the treatment I was receiving.
Does this meen I am finally allowed to talk shit about the rude assholes that sold me my Harley

Quote:
I tell everyone that..... people usually just dont get it though..... the place you live always costs you money..... now if it was a 10 unit apartment building that you owned and lived in.... well that would be a different story
Old 10-31-2010, 02:56 PM   #31989
B-Mac
Aged Beef

Oddometer: 618
Swing's Halloween Ride, Update

Great time today at WNF, got some photo's.

Old 10-31-2010, 02:59 PM   #31990
B-Mac
Aged Beef

Oddometer: 618
few more on the trail.

Short clip:
Old 10-31-2010, 03:02 PM   #31991
Bueller
Cashin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by panaman
Does this meen I am finally allowed to talk shit about the rude assholes that sold me my Harley
You always were. Most people who have owned cars and/or motorcycles for any length of time probably have a bad dealership story or two about the way they were treated by someone there. I know I sure do, but I generally choose not to blast the dealership. Instead I blast the person I had the difficulty with. It's not the dealership's fault he's an asshole. In my current situation, despite the fact that my employer showed his true colors there are still good people there trying to make a living. I don't wish to diminish their opportunity. If I did, I could fill the pages of this place with the things I've seen and experienced.

Old 10-31-2010, 04:11 PM   #31992
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,330
map reading 101 at swing's ride

Still Riff Raff
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 04:38 PM   #31993
Devil Dog
Q-Tip With Ears

Oddometer: 9,179
Looks like a great time guys

Greg, congrats on the new job and digs!
Does this mean you're gonna be on Operation Repo?

Fuck Jesse V
In his ass
With a chainsaw
Devil Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 04:59 PM   #31994
Just GO!
Countersteer it.

Oddometer: 2,867
Quote:
Originally Posted by dox
Nice seein' ya yesterday, Denny. Thanks for the new treads.

Back at ya and your welcome.

You guys need to watch what you're feeding that youngster. He'll be kickin' dad's arse in a couple years.

Seriously though....great looking little guy. They grow up fast.
Just GO! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 05:32 PM   #31995
swingset
Got the knack.

Oddometer: 10,795
Good time today, great meeting some new faces and getting some trail riding in!

Thanks Brian & Karen for putting up with us and some great chow...awesome hosts!

Other than getting rear-ended in Logan and having my bike drop off the back of the hauler, it was a perfect day. Oh, and except for Fabio biffing on the 990, and except for spilling my Diet Coke in my lap on the way home....perfect all except for that.

swingset is offline   Reply With Quote