ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2010, 04:56 AM   #33511
Sparkster
Live seriously.

Oddometer: 1,240
The geocache idea may have merit. Walmart sells air- and water-tight boxes for under $10 which would be ideal for hiding an object and including things like stickers for the finder to keep. And yes, it would balance things out for the technophobes.
Sparkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 06:34 AM   #33512
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer: 13,992
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkster View Post
The geocache idea may have merit. Walmart sells air- and water-tight boxes for under $10 which would be ideal for hiding an object and including things like stickers for the finder to keep. And yes, it would balance things out for the technophobes.
I think the US tag game does the same thing. I know last winter I got it at the AMA museum after Shawn had went to visit it and them moved it to the Longenburger (sp?) basket area on my way to Toby's garage day. With as many Ohio players as we have I think we could support two tag games at once.
2006 KLR650
2001 YX426 (street Legal)
buildit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 08:21 AM   #33513
mynamewasmud
Hillbilly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,306
Quote:
The water proof container should hold bail money, you know how these trail poacher's ride.
mynamewasmud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 10:12 AM   #33514
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,419
I'd love an off road / gravel version. Hell, I think it should be allowed now in the main game. Even my mom can ride her Vespa on gravel.

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 10:21 AM   #33515
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 4,947
Quote:
Walmart sells air- and water-tight boxes...

Who's mom doesn't have an excessive suppy of spare tupperware (or immitattion)?

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 10:24 AM   #33516
z@ch
Turn it up to eleven

Oddometer: 4,674
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
I'd love an off road / gravel version. Hell, I think it should be allowed now in the main game. Even my mom can ride her Vespa on gravel.
maybe we oughtta put it up for a vote?
z@ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 11:42 AM   #33517
swingset
Got the knack.

Oddometer: 10,760
I vote a geo-cache style on all terrains, if for no other reason than it eliminates the smartphone/wifi advantage.

Some people like the way the current OH tag works, no problem with that but the other style game sounds more funner and stuff.

swingset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 11:50 AM   #33518
mynamewasmud
Hillbilly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,306
I vote you must have gotten tags to vote. Lets remember the last time everyone wanted a change, Obama. I'm just sayin.

mynamewasmud screwed with this post 12-27-2010 at 11:56 AM
mynamewasmud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 01:02 PM   #33519
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Didn't mean to stir up a hornets nest, just made a comment. At this time, even if the tag was in my own back yard, I'd probably either, forget, not have enough time or get Bruced.

You all do what you want, I just play as time and distance allows being that I am in an overlapping fringe on the far sides of the Farnsy and NEO tag zones.

If my truck doesn't get back from the under coating place this evening, I'll be 2 wheel snow surfing into the snow belt tomorrow morning for my surgical follow up. Can't wait to see the Docs face if that happens!!

Old 12-27-2010, 01:09 PM   #33520
Whitey1
"Whitebread"

Oddometer: 10,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by swingset View Post
I vote a geo-cache style on all terrains, if for no other reason than it eliminates the smartphone/wifi advantage.

Some people like the way the current OH tag works, no problem with that but the other style game sounds more funner and stuff.

Only problem with the geo-cache thing I see is I don't know how to do it. Can you guys just give me the directions and put a huge sign next to the location?

Whitey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 01:12 PM   #33521
Whitey1
"Whitebread"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
+1 Sac up (lip up for the ladies) and lets get these tags into some scenic backroads/trails. This is ADVrider damnit!

My minions will be along shortly to clean up.
Old 12-27-2010, 01:46 PM   #33522
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Quote:
it eliminates the smartphone/wifi advantage.
How? A cell tower or McDonalds is usually within an hour of anywhere and if you can upload a photo you can upload coordinates. If anything, it takes file photos out of the equation.

Old 12-27-2010, 02:16 PM   #33523
swingset
Got the knack.

Oddometer: 10,760
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorman View Post
How? A cell tower or McDonalds is usually within an hour of anywhere and if you can upload a photo you can upload coordinates. If anything, it takes file photos out of the equation.
As the road tag game exists, I can grab a tag & post it immediately if I have coverage, or as you say at the nearest McDonald's. Someone without a data plan or wifi device has to ride home to do it...even if they got there an hour earlier. That's a technological advantage. Granted, it's not a race but that changes the nature of the game.

In Geocaching you set out for a tag armed with coordinates or directions, when you find it there's nothing to post. You have the tag in your hands, it's gone so anyone being bruced will be bruced by showing up to a spot where the booty is gone. That's an honest brucing. Smart phone, Jitterbug, makes no diff. You ride to the next spot and hide it. When you get home, post the coordinates, no tech required.

That's how I see it, but maybe I'm imagining the game working different than someone else does.

swingset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 02:23 PM   #33524
Whitey1
"Whitebread"

Quote:
As the road tag game exists, I can grab a tag & post it immediately if I have coverage, or as you say at the nearest McDonald's. Someone without a data plan or wifi device has to ride home to do it...even if they got there an hour earlier. That's a technological advantage. Granted, it's not a race but that changes the nature of the game.

In Geocaching you set out for a tag armed with coordinates or directions, when you find it there's nothing to post. You have the tag in your hands, it's gone so anyone being bruced will be bruced by showing up to a spot where the booty is gone. That's an honest brucing. Smart phone, Jitterbug, makes no diff. You ride to the next spot and hide it. When you get home, post the coordinates, no tech required.

That's how I see it, but maybe I'm imagining the game working different than someone else does.
That would suck donkey balls. At least how it is now you can ride home with a smile on your face THINKING you got the tag. If I went to get a tag and it was missing now I ride home all sadz and stuff.
Old 12-27-2010, 02:30 PM   #33525
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer: 13,992
Well, I'd hate to stomp on the other game given it is so well established with rules and all. If it's a good idea here I'll start a new thread called "M Gormans back woods tag".
Rules are simple.

An item will be photographed with motorcycle in a location and if needed another photo will be taken of the geocatched item in it's hiding spot. The photo will be posted up in the new thread with GSP coordinates. Coordinates can either be from a GPS device at the location or from an online source like mapquest, google maps or google earth.
A new rider will ride to the location retrieve the item and take a photo of his motorcycle with the item. At this point the new rider can either keep the geocatched item or replace it with a new item to be taken to a new spot and photographed with the bike. These photos and the new GPS location will all be posted and the cycle starts again.
1. Location must be inside Ohio and on an established and legal right of way. It does not have to be a road but it does need to be a location that can be reached any time of day or time of year. (ie putting the tag in Perry SF during the closed season or on a gated road/trail is a no no.)
2. Item must be clearly marked or identifiable so that a duplicate item can not be produced. A signature or mark can be used for this.
3. A tag is only valid if it is a new photo in the geocatched spot that shows the riders bike and item.
4. A + of 50 feet is allowed for the GPS coordinate because of trees or southern line of site resulting in error. So make the photo of the hiding spot for the item very clear.
5. The person placing the tag item is responsible to ensure the item is hidden well enough it's not stolen or blown away in a tornado and not so well hidden that no one can find it.
6. If necessary the person placing the tag may use roll chart style instructions in addition to GPS coordinates to aid in establishing the location.
7. In the event of an unforseen issue a final rulling from the current moderator of the central forum will be final.

Any comments or ideas that need to be in the rules?
2006 KLR650
2001 YX426 (street Legal)
buildit is offline   Reply With Quote