ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2011, 11:50 AM   #34231
Sparkster
Live seriously.

Oddometer: 1,240
Random

I was driving home today and saw this sign. Thought it was amusing and figured I would share. For some reason my phone was set to photograph in black and white though.
Sparkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 01:27 PM   #34232
satur9
angry black guy

Oddometer: 461
anybody else ride today

few peek of sun.streets pretty clear. tooks the bikes out for a little bit.turned the propane heater on in my garage so it would be slighlty warmer so i could bucket wash them when i got back.i hope spring comes soon. its more enjoyable when your feet arent freezing .
satur9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 02:16 PM   #34233
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 4,939
Quote:
Originally Posted by swingset View Post
I did it a couple times, ages ago...I remember the concept being easy, but the excecution hard. I'm sure I was overcomplicating it however. I keep meaning to make a truing stand, I have some DIY directions that look easy, but I never get around to it.

Use the brake pad on the frame or fork. If you are just truing, there shouldn't be an issue with offset. One valuable tool I found is a spoke tension gauge so there is no question if one is tighter than the other.

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 02:49 PM   #34234
swingset
Got the knack.

Oddometer: 10,759
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorman View Post
Use the brake pad on the frame or fork. If you are just truing, there shouldn't be an issue with offset. One valuable tool I found is a spoke tension gauge so there is no question if one is tighter than the other.
I can do one that way, the other is kind of at "just laced" status, replaced two spokes, took the rest off and greased them so it's out of dish, basically needs built.

Speaking of bikes, my brother in law works at Target in Easton, called me at work the other day and asked if I wanted a nice bike super cheap, they had one returned and were going to put it out on clearance thought I might want a crack at it. So, I went over on my lunch our and checked it out. It's a Schwinn S60dbx, their "top of the line" import bike. They had it marked down to $100, $69 with his employee discount and a 10% coupon he used, so I gave him some $$ and brought it home the next day. Sold for $249 originally, by the sticker...heck of a markdown.

I know they're not on par with the US-built Schwinns, by any means, but for the money figured I could do something with it. It's actually appointed with decent features, the crank set is solid, nice light wheels, Shimano's better japanese-built gears & derailleur (no plastic anywhere), nice shifters. It's a sled, for sure, but I've already replaced the seat post, pedals, seat, bar & neck and taken off the needless crap and shaved it down 5lbs. It's still heavy for a full suspension bike, but compared to my old Trek it's light. If I can source a good shock set front and back I think it'll work nicely for light trails. The front disk actually works good...read some reviews that say it stinks but a 2-finger squeeze will have you doing a wheel stand right now.

The only thing that appeared to be wrong with it was a set up job and the front derailleur is a piece of crap. Swapped it for a Bontrager I found at the local shop's parts bin and it's shifts like a dream now that I've set it up. The wife's bike's still a mess (it's the one with the crap wheels), so we can start riding again soon hopefully.

Alacrity gave me a cool Klein Pulse frame (you can see it hanging in the background). I intend to build that up into a fun hooligan bike soon, but for now I can play around a bit. I'm just trying to get in shape but I think the frame is strong enough to be a good platform.

My Jew-Fu comes through again with the cheap solution.

swingset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 03:18 PM   #34235
steingar
higher life form

Oddometer: 433
Just came back from the bike show

The girls at the Harley booth were the skankiest by far. Sorry, no photos, I forgot my camera. Sat on the Super Tenier, but couldn't even reach the ground on tiptoe (and it was on its kickstand). No matter, I really dislike those bikes for a variety of reasons. I did like the CBR250, very pretty bike. Hated all the sportbikes, way too many gadgets. ABS, traction control, steering dampers, ig! Too much stuff getting between the rider and the bike in my own personal opinion. Only saw one new bike I really liked, an air-cooled Yamuka V-twin with a belt drive. I even sat on a couple Harleys. Not as heavy as I remember.

The show was considerably smaller than years past. The only European manufacturers there were Ducati and Triumph. No BMW, no KTM, no Ural, no Arilla, Vespa, or Piaggio. No Hyosung either, though not a big loss, at least in my less than humble thoughts.
steingar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 06:39 PM   #34236
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Quote:
Originally Posted by steingar View Post
Sat on the Super Tenier, but couldn't even reach the ground on tiptoe (and it was on its kickstand). No matter, I really dislike those bikes for a variety of reasons. I did like the CBR250, very pretty bike. Hated all the sportbikes, way too many gadgets. ABS, traction control, steering dampers, ig! Too much stuff getting between the rider and the bike in my own personal opinion. Only saw one new bike I really liked, an air-cooled Yamuka V-twin with a belt drive. I even sat on a couple Harleys. Not as heavy as I remember.

Sounds like your're in the wrong forum You only like cruisers and tourers?

Old 01-30-2011, 06:49 PM   #34237
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Quote:
I know they're not on par with the US-built Schwinns, by any means...

The only thing that appeared to be wrong with it was a set up job...

Alacrity gave me a cool Klein Pulse frame (you can see it hanging in the background). I intend to build that up into a fun hooligan bike soon, but for now I can play around a bit. I'm just trying to get in shape but I think the frame is strong enough to be a good platform.
As far as I know, Schwinn totally sold out to the Orient and I'm not sure any are made here except customs. Most of the stores will hire just about anyone to assemble those bikes, I should know, they had my sister assembling them!!

Be careful with the Klein, there were notorious for being some of the lightest bikes on the planet, and for a reason, the frames were paper thin. The last Klein I saw had fallen over at the shop against another bike and received 2 dents in the top tube. Let me know if you need any parts, I'm cleaning house!!

Old 01-30-2011, 06:52 PM   #34238
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Quote:
Alacrity gave me a cool Klein Pulse frame (you can see it hanging in the background).

My Jew-Fu comes through again with the cheap solution.

An aspiring Jerry Seinfeld?

Old 01-30-2011, 07:02 PM   #34239
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

New dr650!!!

For the vertically challenged...

Old 01-30-2011, 07:09 PM   #34240
swingset
Got the knack.

Oddometer: 10,759
Quote:
An aspiring Jerry Seinfeld?
No soup for you!

That's riiiight, he did have a Klein didn't he? Hung in his doorway? Well, that's cool...maybe I'll start collecting Porsche's too.

You're not kidding about the Klein frames, cripes they're light. I really don't intend on making a trail machine out of it, probably something neat like a 3-speed commuter or something.

I've got my heart set on a 24" trials/street bike, but finding one that's in my price range is tough.

swingset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 07:10 PM   #34241
gelandestrasse
Fidem Scit

Oddometer: 20,253
Quote:
For the vertically challenged...

Too high!

Old 01-30-2011, 07:16 PM   #34242
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Quote:
Originally Posted by gelandestrasse View Post
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine."
- Abraham Lincoln
Does Al Gore know this?

Old 01-30-2011, 07:22 PM   #34243
dox
How much for the ape?

Oddometer: 2,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by satur9 View Post
few peek of sun.streets pretty clear. tooks the bikes out for a little bit.turned the propane heater on in my garage so it would be slighlty warmer so i could bucket wash them when i got back.i hope spring comes soon. its more enjoyable when your feet arent freezing .
Must have been nice to get out... I had no such luck.

I don't wash my bikes, so I don't envy you on that one
Old 01-31-2011, 05:35 AM   #34244
steingar
higher life form

Oddometer: 433
Quote:
Sounds like your're in the wrong forum You only like cruisers and tourers?
I love bikes of all kinds. I am not particularly keen on the direction taken by the manufacturers with sportbikes, as I feel they're putting technology between the rider and the ride. I am less than sanguine about so called "adventure bikes" but it hardly matters. I am sufficiently vertically challenged that I couldn't easily ride one.

I can't ride several of the sportbikes either, too tall for my inseam. Sometimes it sucks being short, though I fit well in airplanes, which is what really matters anyway.
steingar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 05:48 AM   #34245
mic_detonator
ride

Oddometer: 794
is that 650 the woods "touring edition" and what the hell was with that other sport thing, do you have to kneel on it? that thing was made for a pigme! (sp)
mic_detonator is offline   Reply With Quote