ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2011, 01:15 PM   #34306
mic_detonator
ride
 
mic_detonator's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: o`er yonder
Oddometer: 794
uhhh yeah i just went to work on my fuggin day off today! Have you seen my stapler somebody stole it and i really like my stapler, it's a swingline.



true story my boss is kinda like that with his tape dispenser, i've stolen three of his.
mic_detonator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 01:29 PM   #34307
ohioroadrat
It`s YOUR fault !
 
ohioroadrat's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Columbus,Ohio
Oddometer: 1,662
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJV View Post
I have a spare ADV sticker for your new ride Larry.

PM me. I'll mail it.

(Or EuroTrash night when it starts up)
Thanks....A good ADV rider always carries a spare. (I have one just encase a tree would fall on my van.) Can you belive it took out the whole back window and left the sticker in tacte?
__________________
The second slowest rider in district 11.
Time spent riding is not deducted from one`s lifespan.
ohioroadrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 02:34 PM   #34308
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows
 
buildit's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Simpsons home town Ohio
Oddometer: 14,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioroadrat View Post
At 10:30 last night I heard my car alarm going off. Went to see my very large sugar maple was covered with ice and lying on top of my van. CRAP!!!
Wait Larry, we agreed that 2011 was going to be a better year than 2010. Are you trying to break that agreement?

How bad is the damage? If it's the tree that's off to the side of the drive I can't imagine it's good.
Edit: Nevermind, Byrons photos just loaded.
__________________
http://www.youtube.com/user/advfilmer
2013 Super-10
2007 KTM950SEr
2006 KLR650
2001 YZ426 (street Legal)
buildit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 04:55 PM   #34309
mobyfubar
cd /;rm -rf *
 
mobyfubar's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Hilliard, OH, US
Oddometer: 253
Crap, sorry to hear that, Larry. I guess I'll stop whining about just having the power out for a few hours last night.
__________________
==BD
'08 Street Triple, '12 Super Ténéré
AMA, MSTA, CMH-MOTO
mobyfubar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 05:44 PM   #34310
mgorman
Crashing since 1964
 
mgorman's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Massillon, Ohio
Oddometer: 5,056
RoadRat, Your van really got it good, lots of wood on the ground up here but nothing that big!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
Does the yard slope one way or the other? Every turd laid would just slide off into the neighbor's yard. Hope your yard isn't the lowest spot on the block...
Flat as a pan cake! Even the water can't run away
__________________
Michael

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 07:17 PM   #34311
vivid dadas
Studly Adventurer
 
vivid dadas's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Thumbolia
Oddometer: 864
Let me just throw a n00b question out here. I want to get a light bike to ride around on gravel roads and dirt.

I like the look and feel of the Honda CRF230M, but would like the tires and wheels off the Honda CRF230L. (I don't care for the red and white paint scheme on the CRF230L.)

The bikes look identical except for paint and wheel/tire size. I see that the rake/caster angle is different, but don't know if that's just because of the different wheel sizes.

Just for talking, what would be wrong with getting a M and swapping out the wheels and tires off the L?
__________________
"Five stinking radicals in a three cylinder Saab!"
vivid dadas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 07:25 PM   #34312
swingset
Got the knack.
 
swingset's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Central Ohio
Oddometer: 10,799
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivid dadas View Post
Let me just throw a n00b question out here. I want to get a light bike to ride around on gravel roads and dirt.

I like the look and feel of the Honda CRF230M, but would like the tires and wheels off the Honda CRF230L. (I don't care for the red and white paint scheme on the CRF230L.)

The bikes look identical except for paint and wheel/tire size. I see that the rake/caster angle is different, but don't know if that's just because of the different wheel sizes.

Just for talking, what would be wrong with getting a M and swapping out the wheels and tires off the L?
There are a few differences, but they're slight. There is some geometry difference for better street handling. This discusses them:

http://www.motorcycle.com/manufactur...iew-88686.html

Nothing wrong with your plan, if that's how ya wanna go...it'll work fine with dirt wheels and vice versa. Gearing on the M is different, btw, so might re-think sprockets if you're offroad with it.
__________________
The Rant-Fu blog & podcast ->Rant-Fu




swingset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 07:32 PM   #34313
vivid dadas
Studly Adventurer
 
vivid dadas's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Thumbolia
Oddometer: 864
Thanks Swingset, nice link.

Let me take my question one step further, what about just putting knobby tires on the M wheels? I'm not planning on going moto-crosing, I just want to ride gravel roads.
__________________
"Five stinking radicals in a three cylinder Saab!"
vivid dadas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 07:48 PM   #34314
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly
 
MeefZah's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: New Philadelphia, Ohio
Oddometer: 10,659
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivid dadas View Post
Thanks Swingset, nice link.

Let me take my question one step further, what about just putting knobby tires on the M wheels? I'm not planning on going moto-crosing, I just want to ride gravel roads.
It's doable, but I bet you'd have to mount a rear tire on the front to fit the rim size.

A better compromise might be just using street oriented dual sport tires like the Shinko 705s on the motard wheels.

The downside is you loose that big 21" front wheel which really makes riding gravel easier.

Another option is to buy the CRF-L and then swap plastics between it and the M, you could resell the plastics and pretty much break even there.

I'm not really to keen on the CRF230, it seems really underpowered... any thoughts on the WR250R or KLX250S? They aren't stump pullers either but they seem better suited for the task at hand. My WR has 10,000 miles now, and my previous KLX had 10,000 before I traded it in... no real trouble to speak of and fun for every mile...
__________________
"A man turns his back on the comforts of home, and when the dust all settles and the story is told, history is made by the side of the road..." - DBT

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 07:50 PM   #34315
bikeneil
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Southern Ohio
Oddometer: 430
[QUOTE=vivid dadas;15096919]Let me just throw a n00b question out here. I want to get a light bike to ride around on gravel roads and dirt.


Have you thought about a Yamaha XT250 ? I've had one for a couple years now and it is a fun bike, not super powerful but alot of fun on & off road.
bikeneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 08:06 PM   #34316
'Flagger
..this space for rent..
 
'Flagger's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Columbus, OH
Oddometer: 2,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivid dadas View Post
Let me just throw a n00b question out here. I want to get a light bike to ride around on gravel roads and dirt.

I like the look and feel of the Honda CRF230M, but would like the tires and wheels off the Honda CRF230L. (I don't care for the red and white paint scheme on the CRF230L.)

The bikes look identical except for paint and wheel/tire size. I see that the rake/caster angle is different, but don't know if that's just because of the different wheel sizes.

Just for talking, what would be wrong with getting a M and swapping out the wheels and tires off the L?
I know this isn't what you asked, but how about the CRF230F? Platin' a dirtbike in Ohio is way easy.
__________________
- B

Proud to be an inmate of AdvRider.
'Flagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 09:17 PM   #34317
QUICKDRAW
Bug Murderer
 
QUICKDRAW's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Lewis Center, OH
Oddometer: 1,154
MTB Riders HELP pls!

To all those riding single track/XC mountain bikes... can you help me make a decision on wheels. I broke my front hub, so am going to upgrade my 10 year old DEAN to disc breaks and a newer fork. I am having trouble deciding on a set of wheels that will fit my purpose, mostly because things have changed so much. I am looking for a set of 26" wheels (will go custom if needed) that will hold up to this hard cranking fat ass. I don't want down hills rims, but I am sick of blowing tubes and bending the shit out of the rims over a 3 foot drop. So... Any advice as to what hubs to stay away from, or which to choose from, as well as spoke/rim combination recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Feel free to PM me, or hit me off list.

Thanks,
-Shawn
QUICKDRAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 09:29 PM   #34318
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows
 
buildit's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Simpsons home town Ohio
Oddometer: 14,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by QUICKDRAW View Post
Feel free to PM me, or hit me off list.

Thanks,
-Shawn
I have no idea but I'd love a chance to find some good mtn bike trails around Columbus or near me. Paved rr tracks sux.
__________________
http://www.youtube.com/user/advfilmer
2013 Super-10
2007 KTM950SEr
2006 KLR650
2001 YZ426 (street Legal)
buildit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 11:33 AM   #34319
rxcrider
Beastly Adventurer
 
rxcrider's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: N Ridgeville OH
Oddometer: 1,287
Quote:
Originally Posted by mic_detonator View Post
uhhh yeah i just went to work on my fuggin day off today! Have you seen my stapler somebody stole it and i really like my stapler, it's a swingline.



true story my boss is kinda like that with his tape dispenser, i've stolen three of his.
Is there something wrong with that? My Aceliner 502 is probably older than I am and has been with me for the past ten years. I'd be pissed if it disappeared from my desk.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220677339890
My tape dispenser isn't all that special, but I'd be bummed since there is never a spare in the supply room.
__________________
'95+'95+'96 BMW R1100RS/RSL
AMA, OMTA (ohio organization), BRC, BMWMOA
rxcrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 04:19 PM   #34320
mynamewasmud
Hillbilly Adventurer
 
mynamewasmud's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: West Virgina transplant in Ohio
Oddometer: 1,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by QUICKDRAW View Post
To all those riding single track/XC mountain bikes... can you help me make a decision on wheels. I broke my front hub, so am going to upgrade my 10 year old DEAN to disc breaks and a newer fork. I am having trouble deciding on a set of wheels that will fit my purpose, mostly because things have changed so much. I am looking for a set of 26" wheels (will go custom if needed) that will hold up to this hard cranking fat ass. I don't want down hills rims, but I am sick of blowing tubes and bending the shit out of the rims over a 3 foot drop. So... Any advice as to what hubs to stay away from, or which to choose from, as well as spoke/rim combination recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Feel free to PM me, or hit me off list.

Thanks,
-Shawn
I had put WTB wheels on almost every bike I've owned. At 210 to 250 lbs banging over rocks and roots, they take a beating but held together as well as any other wheels. The hubs are another story.
mynamewasmud is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014