ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2011, 03:27 PM   #34321
mynamewasmud
Hillbilly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildit View Post
I have no idea but I'd love a chance to find some good mtn bike trails around Columbus or near me. Paved rr tracks sux.
I laid out and built the original MB trail at Barkcamp State park. I know it's a poke from your area but it has about 6 miles of trail now. You may also want to hit the Bavington Game Lands east of Pittsburgh, that has always been worth the drive.
http://www.dirtworld.com/trails/trail.asp?id=13737
mynamewasmud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 04:24 PM   #34322
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer: 13,904
Quote:
Originally Posted by mynamewasmud View Post
I laid out and built the original MB trail at Barkcamp State park. I know it's a poke from your area but it has about 6 miles of trail now. You may also want to hit the Bavington Game Lands east of Pittsburgh, that has always been worth the drive.
http://www.dirtworld.com/trails/trail.asp?id=13737
Yeah, driving across the state to pedal my ars around begs the question of why I own dual sport motorcycles. It's been a long time since I mountain biked offroad in NY when I lived there but I would like to get back into it for health reasons.
Old 02-03-2011, 05:00 PM   #34323
bikeneil
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 418
Yeah, driving across the state to pedal my ars around begs the question of why I own dual sport motorcycles. It's been a long time since I mountain biked offroad in NY when I lived there but I would like to get back into it for health reasons.

I don't know how far it is for you to get to Chillicothe, but there are alot of nice mtn. bike trails at Great Seal State Park. At least 15 miles of trails that hardly ever have horses on them, the locals keep the trails in very good condition.
bikeneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 05:10 PM   #34324
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

It's the same trouble with all of western Ohio is it's flat, boring and just far away from everything to make it a day trip to get to the fun. This is why most of my off roading is around Tar Hollow. There is supposedly some trails in Yellow Springs I'm sure I'll try. The closest spot would be the horse trails down the road. Talk about riding in some slippery crap.
Old 02-03-2011, 06:22 PM   #34325
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 4,893
Quote:
Originally Posted by QUICKDRAW View Post
I am having trouble deciding on a set of wheels that will fit my purpose, mostly because things have changed so much. I am looking for a set of 26" wheels (will go custom if needed) that will hold up to this hard cranking fat ass.

Thanks,
-Shawn

Any 32 or 36 hole Mavic rim mated to a Shimano XT hub will work for most people. Stay away from paired spoke wheels that have non traditional spoke patterns. If one spoke breaks, it is hard to get it straight enough to ride out of the woods. Trek has discontinued this design but others still make them. If your Dean doesn't have rear disc tabs, some Mavic rims are both rim and disc compatible.

Straight pull spokes are more reliable in the long run but shops rarely stock them if you break one.

And for those of you who feel you are of the mega Clydesdale variety, build a 42 or 48 spoke tandem rim from Velocity to a Shimano XT Tandem hubset. The rear hub can be respaced to fit a regular frame but the downside is, the fronts do not come disc compatible. The rear requires a thread-on adapter for discs. This wheel design is supposed to hold up a 500 pound man for road riding but off-road may be limited to tire pressure to prevent pinch flats.

If you're looking for a new bike, look close at the new 29r's. Once I rode one, I'll never go back to 26" wheels. The plus side to the 29r is 700 x 25c and up road bike tires fit the rims pretty well. I use 35c cyclocross tires on mine when riding the rail-trail paths and winter road training.

Got get this back rehabbed, just signed up for the Mohican 100 again.

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 06:43 PM   #34326
bikeridermark
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,990
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildit View Post
It's the same trouble with all of western Ohio is it's flat, boring and just far away from everything to make it a day trip to get to the fun. This is why most of my off roading is around Tar Hollow. There is supposedly some trails in Yellow Springs I'm sure I'll try. The closest spot would be the horse trails down the road. Talk about riding in some slippery crap.
When you come to camp this year, you'll be close to good trails!
bikeridermark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 08:30 PM   #34327
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeridermark View Post
When you come to camp this year, you'll be close to good trails!
I know, that's why I wanna bring the motorcycle!
Old 02-03-2011, 10:06 PM   #34328
motodirtlover
Motodirtlover

Oddometer: 1,017
I've had good luck with the newer DT wheelsets on my hardtail. I have also been using Hope 36hole hubs laced up to Sun rhyno lites for the last 5 years and they are still going strong (I'm not exactly easy on rims being 265#). Get a hold of Heath at HWB in Zanesville if you need wheels and /or brakes. His number: 740-453-5618. He does all kinds of MTB stuff (Santa Cruz, Marin, etc). And he is a dual-sport rider as well.
Tell him that I sent you. He is also one of Goonie's buddies.

If you want to ride some really nice XC trails, the Zanesville area has over 35 MILES of groomed singletrack for MTBs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QUICKDRAW View Post
To all those riding single track/XC mountain bikes... can you help me make a decision on wheels. I broke my front hub, so am going to upgrade my 10 year old DEAN to disc breaks and a newer fork. I am having trouble deciding on a set of wheels that will fit my purpose, mostly because things have changed so much. I am looking for a set of 26" wheels (will go custom if needed) that will hold up to this hard cranking fat ass. I don't want down hills rims, but I am sick of blowing tubes and bending the shit out of the rims over a 3 foot drop. So... Any advice as to what hubs to stay away from, or which to choose from, as well as spoke/rim combination recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Feel free to PM me, or hit me off list.

Thanks,
-Shawn
motodirtlover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 02:11 AM   #34329
bikeridermark
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,990
Hey, Brandon, saw the news article and video on Yahoo this morning. Congrats again, but sorry you had to get shot up to get the award!
bikeridermark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 03:16 AM   #34330
ohioroadrat
It`s YOUR fault !

Oddometer: 1,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeridermark View Post
Hey, Brandon, saw the news article and video on Yahoo this morning. Congrats again, but sorry you had to get shot up to get the award!

How about a link?
Old 02-04-2011, 03:37 AM   #34331
dragoon
I'm the REAL Dingo Joe

Oddometer: 23,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by motodirtlover View Post
I've had good luck with the newer DT wheelsets on my hardtail. I have also been using Hope 36hole hubs laced up to Sun rhyno lites for the last 5 years and they are still going strong (I'm not exactly easy on rims being 265#). Get a hold of Heath at HWB in Zanesville if you need wheels and /or brakes. His number: 740-453-5618. He does all kinds of MTB stuff (Santa Cruz, Marin, etc). And he is a dual-sport rider as well.
Tell him that I sent you. He is also one of Goonie's buddies.

If you want to ride some really nice XC trails, the Zanesville area has over 35 MILES of groomed singletrack for MTBs.
Excellent recommendation I think Shawn would like Heath, a no nonsense kinda guy. Shawn if you go this route I'd be happy make the intro sometime.

daveology rule #143 - never ever pass up a chance to hear a band that has a stand up bass -Mutineer
dragoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 05:54 AM   #34332
Sparkster
Live seriously.

Oddometer: 1,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioroadrat View Post
How about a link?
http://www2.nbc4i.com/news/2011/feb/...ear-ar-386016/

He did pretty well on the story. Not sure where he got three major surgeries... I had that the first day I was there and seven more after that The one they played on tv had the audio of my sergeant screaming "officer down". I wasn't expecting it and it hit pretty hard. Even though I heard him say it that day as he was standing over me, there's something more dramatic of hearing it on a recording.

EDIT:
I just noticed that Reitzel posted the raw interview footage here: http://www2.nbc4i.com/news/2011/feb/...7557-vi-24736/
It's long, twenty-some minutes.

Sparkster screwed with this post 02-04-2011 at 05:59 AM
Sparkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 06:50 AM   #34333
swingset
Got the knack.

Oddometer: 10,748
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoon View Post
Excellent recommendation I think Shawn would like Heath, a no nonsense kinda guy.
Dang, he'd hate me. I'm a nonsense kinda guy.

swingset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 07:14 AM   #34334
swingset
Got the knack.

Oddometer: 10,748
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkster View Post
http://www2.nbc4i.com/news/2011/feb/...ear-ar-386016/

He did pretty well on the story. Not sure where he got three major surgeries... I had that the first day I was there and seven more after that The one they played on tv had the audio of my sergeant screaming "officer down". I wasn't expecting it and it hit pretty hard. Even though I heard him say it that day as he was standing over me, there's something more dramatic of hearing it on a recording.

EDIT:
I just noticed that Reitzel posted the raw interview footage here: http://www2.nbc4i.com/news/2011/feb/...7557-vi-24736/
It's long, twenty-some minutes.
Cool, glad you posted that! You're looking well and good job with the interview, can't imagine what all you've been through.

I hope you don't mind but I shared this with a couple LE friends of mine on another board, they knew about your ordeal and were interested in hearing your story.

swingset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 07:18 AM   #34335
Sparkster
Live seriously.

Oddometer: 1,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by swingset View Post
Cool, glad you posted that! You're looking well and good job with the interview, can't imagine what all you've been through.

I hope you don't mind but I shared this with a couple LE friends of mine on another board, they knew about your ordeal and were interested in hearing your story.
I recently worked the funeral of a young lady who died of cancer. Before she died she said, "This is the best and worst thing that has ever happened to me." That applies here as well. I'm losing the huge fear of public speaking I had and I'm getting booked for numerous speaking engagements. The downside is months and months of pain and rehab. It balances out. And I'm getting some nerve useage back in my shifting foot so hopefully by the time I'm ready to ride again I'll have the strength to shift without a bike mod.

And I don't mind at all.
Sparkster is offline   Reply With Quote