ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2011, 07:30 AM   #34336
swingset
Got the knack.

Oddometer: 10,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkster View Post
I recently worked the funeral of a young lady who died of cancer. Before she died she said, "This is the best and worst thing that has ever happened to me." That applies here as well. I'm losing the huge fear of public speaking I had and I'm getting booked for numerous speaking engagements. The downside is months and months of pain and rehab. It balances out. And I'm getting some nerve useage back in my shifting foot so hopefully by the time I'm ready to ride again I'll have the strength to shift without a bike mod.

And I don't mind at all.
You've got the right spirit for it all, and it's great that you've found the good in a horrible situation. Lesser men would stew in bitterness at what they'd lost, I know I'd probably whine a little more.

Something I don't know if I've heard, but I've wondered, was the guy tweaking or high when he shot at you?

swingset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 07:38 AM   #34337
Sparkster
Live seriously.

Oddometer: 1,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by swingset View Post
You've got the right spirit for it all, and it's great that you've found the good in a horrible situation. Lesser men would stew in bitterness at what they'd lost, I know I'd probably whine a little more.

Something I don't know if I've heard, but I've wondered, was the guy tweaking or high when he shot at you?
No indication of it. I spoke to him for five minutes before the shooting and got no clue he would be dangerous.
Sparkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 07:55 AM   #34338
z@ch
Turn it up to eleven

Oddometer: 4,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by swingset View Post
Dang, he'd hate me. I'm a nonsense kinda guy.

You should throw on your helmet cam and take panaman down to his shop.

You might get a reality show outta the results.
z@ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 08:32 AM   #34339
swingset
Got the knack.

Oddometer: 10,783
Quote:
No indication of it. I spoke to him for five minutes before the shooting and got no clue he would be dangerous.
Just a nut, then. The reason I ask is, when I did counseling, I found it fairly common for guys who grew or sold dope were usually on meth, heroin, crack....the growing sort of took care of their habit. Then there were just tokers who grew and sold, but a lot of guys that did it were violent/nuts on harder stuff. Given his nearly-suicidal violence, thought he have been on something. Sure isn't common for a chronic dope-smoker to go hot with an AR at the drop of a hat, unless you get in between them and their oreos.

swingset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 08:37 AM   #34340
steingar
higher life form

Oddometer: 433
Quote:
One of the most harrowing things I have seen. I can only wish you the best of luck in recovering from your injuries and getting on with your life.

On a related note, has anyone discussed with the perpetrator his motives for shooting an officer? I can completely understand if this cannot be discussed openly due to upcoming litigation. However, I am struck by the nearly breathtaking difference in outcomes from growing marijuana in your yard and shooting a police officer. I imagine he'll spend much of his lifetime in jail for the latter, and risked his very life. For the marijuana I can't see such a stiff penalty, unless he was a repeat offender. Indeed, there was no way he could escape the penalty for the shooting sans flight overseas.

Perhaps this is just how criminals work, and I am thankfully naive.

steingar screwed with this post 02-04-2011 at 11:28 AM
steingar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 12:59 PM   #34341
QUICKDRAW
Bug Murderer

Oddometer: 1,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorman View Post
Any 32 or 36 hole Mavic rim mated to a Shimano XT hub will work for most people. Stay away from paired spoke wheels that have non traditional spoke patterns.

If you're looking for a new bike, look close at the new 29r's.
Thanks for the spoke info, I have been looking for a straight spoke pattern, so I will stick to that upon your recomendtion. Interesting you should mention the XT hubs however. I had found a new set of straight laced wheels with xt discs built on the XT hubs for under $300. Put them in my cart, but before I bought them, searched the reviews and got overwhelming poor reviews. Have you not had any problems with the rear hub locking up, self destructing, or the cones loosening? My DEAN is having the rear disc tabs welded on, along with a chain stay brace, and some cable guides. I am not going to go 29er any time soon. I don't have to have the newest, coolest shit out on the market... (anyone who knows me, knows this is a lie)

Quote:
Originally Posted by motodirtlover View Post
I've had good luck with the newer DT wheelsets on my hardtail. I have also been using Hope 36hole hubs laced up to Sun rhyno lites for the last 5 years and they are still going strong (I'm not exactly easy on rims being 265#). Get a hold of Heath at HWB in Zanesville if you need wheels and /or brakes. His number: 740-453-5618. He does all kinds of MTB stuff (Santa Cruz, Marin, etc). And he is a dual-sport rider as well.
Tell him that I sent you. He is also one of Goonie's buddies.

If you want to ride some really nice XC trails, the Zanesville area has over 35 MILES of groomed singletrack for MTBs.
Thanks to you to Kory... The Hope II's keep coming up as a great hub, along with the DT Swiss and Chris King. I haven't seen any 36 hole hubs though. Glad you told me they were available. I am inclined to just match the 36 spoke wheel set you have, if they have been working for you.

Whats the deal with the tubeless rim/tire combo's now? What are their pro's and con's? Is this something I should shy away from, or gravitate toward?

Tim.... Connie and I are wanting to take a ride Saturday... Intro's would be appreciated.

-Shawn
QUICKDRAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 01:43 PM   #34342
Sparkster
Live seriously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steingar View Post
For the marijuana I can't see such a stiff penalty, unless he was a repeat offender.
He had 1700 plants- over a thousand is a federal offense (10 to life). As for your other question I can't discuss his interrogation yet.
Old 02-04-2011, 02:19 PM   #34343
mobyfubar
cd /;rm -rf *

Oddometer: 251
Thanks for posting the interview. I can't imagine going through your situation. I hate like hell that anyone would have to go through it, but I am grateful that we have good people like you that we can depend on. You are an example to many.
mobyfubar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 02:23 PM   #34344
motodirtlover
Motodirtlover

Oddometer: 1,034
Hmm, come to think of it, I have a new hope 36 hole front wheel w/ a black rhyno light hanging in my workshop. I also have a new 36 hole rhyno light rim and spokes. You'd just need a rear hub. I could lace it up for you.

If you want to do the tubeless thing, Stan's is probably the way to go. HWB can hook you up with that stuff. That way you can use any tire that you want.. Don't need some new Kenda XC tires do you?

Thanks to you to Kory... The Hope II's keep coming up as a great hub, along with the DT Swiss and Chris King. I haven't seen any 36 hole hubs though. Glad you told me they were available. I am inclined to just match the 36 spoke wheel set you have, if they have been working for you.

Whats the deal with the tubeless rim/tire combo's now? What are their pro's and con's? Is this something I should shy away from, or gravitate toward?

-Shawn[/QUOTE]
motodirtlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 02:37 PM   #34345
steingar
higher life form

Oddometer: 433
Quote:
He had 1700 plants- over a thousand is a federal offense (10 to life). As for your other question I can't discuss his interrogation yet.
Thank you for your response. Is the 10 to life a mandatory sentence? Or would a judge have a more leeway?

I have to admit, if he were already facing such a stiff sentence, than shooting at the officer and hoping for some sort of subsequent escape makes a bit more sense in a Machiavellian sort of way. I'm not trying to defend his heinous actions in any way, shape, or form, only to understand them a bit better. I fear that your injuries might be an unintended consequence of the get tough on crime legislation passed by Congress in the eighties.

Again, I can only hope for a satisfactory resolution of your injuries. I was deeply impressed by your poise and candor in your interview. And again, congratulations on your award. It is obviously truly deserved. At least your ordeal has some sort of silver lining.
steingar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 04:16 PM   #34346
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 5,015
Quote:
Originally Posted by QUICKDRAW View Post
Thanks for the spoke info, I have been looking for a straight spoke pattern, so I will stick to that upon your recomendtion. Interesting you should mention the XT hubs however. I had found a new set of straight laced wheels with xt discs built on the XT hubs for under $300. Put them in my cart, but before I bought them, searched the reviews and got overwhelming poor reviews. Have you not had any problems with the rear hub locking up, self destructing, or the cones loosening?
Well that just sucks, I have XT hubs in the garage that are over 10 years old with no problems. I have only ever replaced one freehub in all those years. The nice thing about those is you can buy replacement hubs cheap at most good bike shops.

Don't confuse non paired spoked wheels with radial laced. Radial laced will rip out of the disc hub during braking. They have to be crossed like a dirt bike wheel.

Ryno lites are good rims, I have them on my old DH bike and they came stock on our MTB Tandem. But after having 2 different front wheels collapse when separating at the seam, and one putting me in the ER, I only ride on welded rims off-road. The Velocities are only pinned but over built so I'd use them.

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 04:24 PM   #34347
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 5,015
Quote:
Originally Posted by motodirtlover View Post
Get a hold of Heath at HWB in Zanesville...

Did the shop used to be in an old drive in theater? They sold me a race bike through the shop I raced for back in '90 because it was the last one in my size on the east coast. The guy was pretty nice and I rode the crap out of that thing for years.

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 06:20 PM   #34348
Whitey1
"Whitebread"

Oddometer: 10,057
Great interview Brandon. I get choked up every time I hear that days events.

Glad to hear the public speaking is getting better. I see a promising new side job for you!!!

Whitey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 07:22 PM   #34349
Sparkster
Live seriously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitey1 View Post
Glad to hear the public speaking is getting better. I see a promising new side job for you!!!
Bears a striking resemblance
Old 02-04-2011, 07:29 PM   #34350
Whitey1
"Whitebread"

Oddometer: 10,057
Quote:
Bears a striking resemblance

I figured you would appreciate a good joke.
Whitey1 is offline   Reply With Quote