ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2011, 09:49 AM   #36841
Sparkster
Live seriously.

Oddometer: 1,240
Wink No Limit Hold 'Em

There have to be some poker players in this thread. If anyone is interested in joining my home games, please PM me your email address to be added to the mailing list. All recipients will be BCC to maintain privacy. Most games are $5 buy-in with $1 for the bounty system and I'm planning a big $20 tourney for later this summer as well. Payout is 100% to keep it legal. Alcohol is OK but is always BYOB and you must have a designated driver if you plan to consume. If you want to drink and have no driver, bring a tent but only if you're a happy drunk.
Also, if you have a youngster who is learning or would like to learn, we sometimes have $2 buy-in nights for beginners to get a taste for the rules and strategies.
Google "Shauck, OH" to see if you're close enough to be worth it. There are usually at least three tourneys a night when we play and cash games on the side when you get knocked out so bring loose change.

Sparkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 12:58 PM   #36842
OhioPT
Adventure Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasthomas View Post
Hey Jitter, can you make it up to Northern Ohio Ducati Triumph tomorrow? Gorman, and Steve Science of Dirt and I are meeting there to ride some Triumphs. Be nice if you could come along.
I was at the Triumph Demo event this morning. I rode the 800xc. The 15-20 minute loop totally sucked. Other than the intersections, we only encountered 1 real curve. The posted limit on the whole route was 35 mph. WTF kind of demo loop is that? At the beginning of the ride, as we were crawling through the parking lot, I was standing on the pegs to assess the standup ergos and general balance (trials slow). I was quickly "advised" by the one of the staff members that standing was not allowed. WTF, are you serious??

I was not overly impressed with the suspension. It would soak up the broken pavement reasonably well, although it felt a little harsh on some of the bigger sharp edge stuff (potholes). Somehow I managed to drag the toe of my boot on a right hand intersection turn. That was a real shocker considering I thought this bike had more clearance than my DL650, although my suspension is heavily modified. The shock preload must have been dialed all the way out (I weight 220 lbs), or the shock spring is simply too light. There was a good amount of dive under braking, similar to a KTM Adventure. I suspect the fork springs are pretty light (like most stock suspensions). There was way more dive than my modified DL650 forks.

On the plus side, I thought the bike felt very light and turn in was extremely easy. This was the best thing about the bike, IMO. The ergos were decent, although the seat has quite a slant when set to the tall position, pushing my junk into the seat and tank The seat height could have been higher for me still (I'm 6'3" with a 34" inseem).

The motor is very smooth, even at very low revs. It has a lot of low end torque, but I was shocked how docile it was in the mid-range. I guess I expected mid-range power delivery closer to my old 950 Adventure or FZ1. The power delivery would be great for offroad riding, but it's not inspiring as a street bike. I can't really comment on the top end, thanks to the super shitty, traffic laden, demo route. Perhaps my opinion of the motor would change if I had an opportunity to wind it out a bit more.

There was a rattling noise from the motor or exhaust upon deceleration. I've read about this from other users. Wonder what's going on with that??

OhioPT screwed with this post 05-20-2011 at 02:26 PM
OhioPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 01:19 PM   #36843
swingset
Got the knack.

Oddometer: 10,798
Wow! This is amazing!

Tomorrow the weather is supposed to be awesome, and I don't have to work, or have any projects, no one is relying on me, and my body isn't screwed up with some embarrassing malady! In fact, I feel great and the bikes are both ready to roll.

I don't even know what to do. I'm like a kid on Christmas morning. Where do I go? What do I ride? Street? Trails? Make a run for WV? Hit Perry for some dirt? Go grab some tags (as if)? Lunch run? Pedal around in a circle like an idiot?

It's been so long to get to the top of the mountain, I don't have a clue how to enjoy it.

Surely, surely it's all an illusion and tomorrow will bring storms and gale-force winds. I know better than to hope.

swingset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 01:35 PM   #36844
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by swingset View Post
Wow! This is amazing!

Tomorrow the weather is supposed to be awesome, and I don't have to work, or have any projects, no one is relying on me, and my body isn't screwed up with some embarrassing malady! In fact, I feel great and the bikes are both ready to roll.

I don't even know what to do. I'm like a kid on Christmas morning. Where do I go? What do I ride? Street? Trails? Make a run for WV? Hit Perry for some dirt? Go grab some tags (as if)? Lunch run? Pedal around in a circle like an idiot?

It's been so long to get to the top of the mountain, I don't have a clue how to enjoy it.

Surely, surely it's all an illusion and tomorrow will bring storms and gale-force winds. I know better than to hope.
I know how ya feel. I have a rare Saturday off (i still work overnight tonight, but I can forsake sleep during the day tomorrow). Now, do I blow off the Gahanna PD test and take a day for myself? I'm leaning that way.

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 02:10 PM   #36845
swingset
Got the knack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
Gahanna PD test
Having pretty much a lifetime of positive LE encounters, spare two very ugly ones (both involving Gahanna PD), I'm going to guess that the test involves a mock beating of a 9 year old for improper lemonade stand permits, how to write implausible, yet funny incident reports, followed by a coffee-drinking contest at the Agler Road Speedway.

Anyway, my vote is to say fuck it.

My satirical post was not meant to offend any actual Gahanna PD members, I realize that my sweeping generalizations are based on sour anecdotal memories of actual events and some good officers no doubt survived the Night of the Long Knives, when the Gestapo purged the department of conscientious and humane employees, and subsequently set about the invasion of Poland.

Old 05-20-2011, 02:41 PM   #36846
z@ch
Turn it up to eleven

Oddometer: 4,704
If you need your name dropped at gpd, let me know Mark. I know a couple officers.
z@ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 02:45 PM   #36847
swingset
Got the knack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by z@ch View Post
I know a couple officers.
HA! This explains it.

Old 05-20-2011, 03:37 PM   #36848
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Quote:
Originally Posted by z@ch View Post
If you need your name dropped at gpd, let me know Mark. I know a couple officers.
Which way would you be dropping it? + / - ?

My Smugmug Galleries
Old 05-20-2011, 03:50 PM   #36849
Whitey1
"Whitebread"

Oddometer: 10,087
Quote:
Which way would you be dropping it? + / - ?
Leave out the dog story.

Whitey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 03:56 PM   #36850
swingset
Got the knack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitey1 View Post
Leave out the dog story.

No, really, that might be the thing that pushes Mark's resume ahead of the stack.

"Hmmm...this guy? Pulled an old lady from a fire. Ehh, not bad."
"How about this one? This guy exposed some corruption and won a governor's award. Mehhh".
"This next guy's a double-amputee, still competes in marathons and volunteers in a soup kitchen. Nope".
"Oooh, here we go, this dude off'd a Labrador. Cute fluffy lab. I like the cut of this guy's jib. If he's completely remorseless I think we have our man".

Mark, be sure to emphasize that the dog made a move, you had to get it on.

Trust me.

Old 05-20-2011, 04:26 PM   #36851
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Quote:
No, really, that might be the thing that pushes Mark's resume ahead of the stack.

Mark, be sure to emphasize that the dog made a move, you had to get it on.

Trust me.
Noted, thanks for the advice.

My Smugmug Galleries
Old 05-20-2011, 04:30 PM   #36852
swingset
Got the knack.

Quote:
Noted, thanks for the advice.
People helping people. That's what I'm about.

BTW, if anyone wants to ride WNF, I'm gonna and ride tomorrow. Planning on being at the Monday Creek trailhead about 11 or so.

Old 05-20-2011, 05:53 PM   #36853
MrFurious
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 704
Just got back from a nice 130 mile ride around the NTZ. Was keeping an eye out for jgunsett but there were no Stroms, KLR's or WR's to be seen...only Harleys and Goldwings. Maybe he was one of the plethora of people out covering the roads in a nice shade of green grass clippings.

Sorry, no pics. As usual I didn't think about grabbing the camera until I was about 15 miles down the road, besides...who wants to look at pics of long flat straight roads and empty fields?

MrFurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 07:30 PM   #36854
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 5,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioPT View Post
I was at the Triumph Demo event this morning. I rode the 800xc. The 15-20 minute loop totally sucked. Other than the intersections, we only encountered 1 real curve. The posted limit on the whole route was 35 mph. WTF kind of demo loop is that?
Thought the same but what are you going to do when the thing is in the middle of a urban shopping center? On the one lap, a bus driver yelled at us at a traffic light to let us know there was a cop behind us The Ducati loop they did last summer was a bit better, lots of bad roads along with left/right curve combos but then again, it was all based around the new Multistrada and the ride leaders flew. Could have had it elsewhere but then they wouldn't have had us crawling around the shop hopefully buying something. One guy did buy a Bonneville as I was leaving.

I think for the general population, the ride is cool, but for some of us who are used to better, it was a bit boring. The shop and myself was a little disappointed in the fact Triumph themselves limited each ride to only 2 bikes. The guy I talked to yesterday said we'd get to ride all the bikes which excited me. There were many demo loops that only had 3 or 4 bikes and the rest just sat there. At KTM's demo rides, you get to ride EVERY bike. I was lucky enough to know the owners and got to sneak out an extra time or two. Tried to get Rasthomas out on the Scrambler but he had to leave for work.

Mark, if you didn't notice, there is no adjust-ability to the Tiger suspension except rear pre-load. Guys like you and I keep Eibach in business. The factory side cases looked disposable which was sad. They looked as if they'd eject as soon as the pavement ended.

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 07:35 PM   #36855
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 5,054
Quote:
Riiiiiight.

Bill Cosby?

http://youtu.be/n0KHt8xrQkk

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park