ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2011, 09:55 AM   #37636
mpenner
Heavy Cruiser

Oddometer: 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
Hey fast question on wheel bearings...

I noticed that my Strom rear wheel has very minor play if I grab it and push / pull it side to side. Minor as in maybe 5 mm. It also makes a "clicking" noise when I do this. There is no grinding and the wheel spins quietly and freely. 2007 with 54,000 miles, never had bearings done.

By contrast, Meredith's does not do this; the wheel is solid and quiet.

Bearings going? Or normal?
I don't think that this is normal. It sounds like the bearings are worn, but have not completely failed. I would recommend that you change them. 5mm is a little more than 3/16 in. I consider that a lot of play for a wheel.

If they fail, then the outer race separates from the inner race and it can be very difficult to get the outer race out of the wheel because there is nothing to grab onto. If they are still intact, they are very easy to pull even without the proper tools.

I am sure that you know that there is generally no reason to buy bearings from the bike dealer. Most bikes have very standard bearings that can be purchased much cheaper from other sources.

My experience is not V-Strom specific as I have not changed any bearings on this bike yet.

2001 KLR 650
2003 V-Strom DL1000
mpenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 09:55 AM   #37637
Sparkster
Live seriously.

Oddometer: 1,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoon View Post
Had a follow up appointment yesterday and it looks like I have to have the collar bone screwed & plated Monday. Also found a small tear in my knee ligament but no surgery required just a hinged brace for a few weeks. The lung is slowly repairing, not at full capacity but signs of improvement. Ribs still hurt but I can take fairly deep breaths now.
Healing sucks but keep doing all the therapy they throw your way. It's always slow from the patient's perspective but worth it.
Sparkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 09:57 AM   #37638
Anonawesome
Scenic Rider

Oddometer: 1,108
Quote:

I noticed that my Strom rear wheel has very minor play if I grab it and push / pull it side to side. Minor as in maybe 5 mm. It also makes a "clicking" noise when I do this. There is no grinding and the wheel spins quietly and freely. 2007 with 54,000 miles, never had bearings done.

Might've gotten sand/dirt in the wheel and sort-of sanded down a bearing or spacer. Not a professional, just a guess based on the same thing happening to a bearing in my bike. Here's a cross section and parts list if you feel like checking it out.

http://www.bikebandit.com/2007-suzuk...9094#sch649357
Anonawesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 10:26 AM   #37639
Devil Dog
Q-Tip With Ears

Oddometer: 9,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScienceOfDirt View Post
I like to take a break in DeRivera park and watch what goes by to and from the bars. Not as much fun as it was in the 80s, but still OK.
Its still fun on the weekends plenty of hot college age tail and easy hookups. If you're into that stuff
Old 06-16-2011, 10:37 AM   #37640
swingset
Got the knack.

Oddometer: 10,755
Meef, that sounds like excessive play...I'd change 'em, and get sealed bearings when you do (OEM's are not sealed).

Very easy to change, lots of youtube vids on the process you don't need a puller or anything, a long punch should be able to smack them out from the other side...but a puller's cleaner (I've got one if you wanna use it).

You can use a long threaded bolt with big washers (just big enough to cover the outer bearing race) and tighten both sides till it seats...or pound them in with the old bearing then a big socket if you like to hit stuff.

I generally take a new bearing, pop the dust seal, and slather some high-temp grease in there as most come without enough.

swingset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 11:13 AM   #37641
OhioPT
Adventure Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,074
Quote:
Not normal. I'm of the opinion that if I can feel any play, it's too much.
+1 . Any play is bad IMO, especially on a 500 lb street bike. A few months ago in Moab my buddy felt some play in his rear wheel bearings. It was rather minimal (I checked it too), so he decided he would wait until after the trip to change them (cleaner work environment than a campground). Well, the third day into the trip they blew out in the middle of long trail ride. He was able to limp the bike out to a gravel road, but it was ugly. Fortunately it was one of the easier/flatter trails there. If it happened on the Porcupine Rim trail it would have been a disaster.
OhioPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 11:24 AM   #37642
dragoon
I'm the REAL Dingo Joe

Oddometer: 23,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildit View Post
Yeah, if I had it to do again I'd tell them no on the plate a screws and lets just wait a couple months and see if it can heal naturally. I still get swelling and discomfort around my ankle and it's been almost a year now.
Yeah natural is the way to go and you get nifty shoes also

daveology rule #143 - never ever pass up a chance to hear a band that has a stand up bass -Mutineer
dragoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 11:27 AM   #37643
dox
How much for the ape?

Oddometer: 2,646
Sad news for friends of Holt BMW. The mechanic, Bill, passed away a few weeks ago after battling cancer.
Old 06-16-2011, 12:13 PM   #37644
dragoon
I'm the REAL Dingo Joe

Oddometer: 23,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by dox View Post
Sad news for friends of Holt BMW. The mechanic, Bill, passed away a few weeks ago after battling cancer.
Ahhh man

daveology rule #143 - never ever pass up a chance to hear a band that has a stand up bass -Mutineer
dragoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 12:33 PM   #37645
sion
sigh-own

Oddometer: 3,469
Quote:

Quote:
Not normal. I'm of the opinion that if I can feel any play, it's too much.

I agree with SoD and everyone else...that bearing needs to come out asap. If it was 1 or 2 mm, you could let em ride a bit, but 5 mm is way too much.

whats the value of good gear?: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=49301
sion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 12:41 PM   #37646
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,290
Thanks all, I will change 'em out!

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 12:47 PM   #37647
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,319
Wolfman panniers

Pic of the GSX650F. 30mm bar risers, Givi touring windshield, tank cover and Wolfman panniers. Lots of fun, holds steady on the freeway, kind of heavy but hopefully a good touring machine.

Still Riff Raff
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 12:51 PM   #37648
swingset
Got the knack.

Oddometer: 10,755
Anal beads, looks like you're ready for anything now.

swingset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 01:03 PM   #37649
MrFurious
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 694
So this morning I rode over to Lima to pick up a few things, and on the way home I stopped in at the local dealer. Got to BS'ing with one of the sales guys I've known for years, and in the process somehow my bike transformed itself from this:

To this:

MrFurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 01:11 PM   #37650
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by swingset View Post
Anal beads, looks like you're ready for anything now.
8 dollar comfort seat pad. And a thrill right through the Klim Dakar pants.

Still Riff Raff
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote