ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2011, 08:24 AM   #38071
mic_detonator
ride

Oddometer: 794
yeah new look, bad.

Thanks for the help that fixed it.
mic_detonator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 10:16 AM   #38072
'Flagger
..this space for rent..

Oddometer: 2,331
Hey, guys ... and gals....

We're about to launch on our first family trip. She on her scoot' and me on the 'GS. Not sure how many updates we'll have from the road, but we'll be doing a ride report over in Battle Scooters..... follow along!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=702885

Proud to be an inmate of AdvRider.
'Flagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 10:23 AM   #38073
rob748
resident alien !!!!

Oddometer: 824
friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorman View Post
Lost my little buddy this past week. I'm sure you can figure out where her name came from

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=424

sorry for your loss, happened to me a couple months ago
just remember the good times and what unconditional love they gave
rob748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 12:09 PM   #38074
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Flagger View Post
down at the bottom of the page you can choose what style you want ... 'Crash' still looks the same to me. Which style are you using?
Ah, mo' better.

I'm subscribed to your thread.

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 03:19 PM   #38075
S2P
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 674
Michael, Sorry to hear about Moto. I'm sure you made her just as happy as she did you.Though you would like to think they are just pets,they always become a member of your family.

WR 426
TTR 125
S2P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 03:35 PM   #38076
vivid dadas
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 864
Lovely dog, anyone can see what a good dog from the picture, the doggie personality jumps out of the picture.
Old 07-01-2011, 03:56 PM   #38077
satur9
angry black guy

Oddometer: 485
i like the new look. shiny....
satur9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 07:18 PM   #38078
ohioroadrat
It`s YOUR fault !

Oddometer: 1,671
new look

New look sucks.....sorry;
Old 07-01-2011, 07:21 PM   #38079
ohioroadrat
It`s YOUR fault !

Oddometer: 1,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob748 View Post
i just got your message :)
A little slow getting your messages,aren`t ya!
Old 07-01-2011, 07:57 PM   #38080
bikeneil
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 430
Thanks for the stickers MeefZah, I got them today.
bikeneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 08:09 PM   #38081
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 5,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by gelandestrasse View Post
Sorry for your loss. Sixteen years is a long life for a dog. I had to put my Newfoundland down on Monday. He had bone cancer for the last nine months. It cost him his right rear leg and ultimately his life. He would have turned ten this October.

Sorry to hear that. Must have been tough watching him suffer through that for so long.

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 08:11 PM   #38082
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Thanks for the comments Guys, Gals

Old 07-01-2011, 08:26 PM   #38083
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Been a little good news here me here in NEO for the dualsport crowd. A friend and fellow cyclist bought himself a used KLR. Then my neighbor comes rolling up on a brand new KLR sporting a real shit eating grin. Today he comes rolling by while we were loading for Crow Canyon and yells out "I LOVE THIS BIKE". Another fellow cyclist is also in the market for either a GS650 or a KLR. Going shopping tomorrow to see what he can find.

Another guy I ride with headed out to Crow with me to try and convert him from gravel roads to trails. I am so glad he didn't go to the DS ride last weekend or they'd still be trying to get him out!! It wasn't that bad but the bike he was riding, a new KLX450 definitely needs some setting up. We set out to do an introduction loop to rut & root riding 101 stopping every now and then to tell him how to avoid certain obstacles. However, it was so blasted hot, he didn't want to keep stopping so he just followed me around. All in all he did pretty good and even did a dozen or so laps around the mx track, He did become airborne once but I didn't see it. All I know is it scared the crap out of him and he made sure it didn't happen again!

I never rode my 640 and 250 back to back before until today. I can normally do a good job of riding that pig but after being on the 250, it was a handful, especially on the hard packed mx track. I did do 4 of the smaller doubles but not the 2 big ones. After riding the 250, BOTH the 640 and 450 need to be introduced to Jenny Craig!! I was suprised how heavy and fat the KLX450 was. Here I thought it was based on the KX450F.

Old 07-01-2011, 10:12 PM   #38084
sion
sigh-own

Oddometer: 3,545
So, recently I've decided that I don't care that my XR250R (Dora) isn't quite street legal. She's got a headlight, a taillight, a plate and a mirror...and in a couple weeks I'll get the Tusk DS kit to make her legal...in the meantime, I'm gonna ride her. I figure as long as I stay out of the city (which is easy enough, no dirt/gravel roads there) I should be ok. I've taken Dora out twice now for some back country fun.

Today we got a little bit creative and thus had even more fun. After working our way down various backroads, including some dirt and gravel, heading generally south, Dora and I found ourselves on a nice little country road called Moccasin Rd, which runs from Tarlton to 180 above Laurelville. This road is right near my in-laws so I'm well familiar with it...its a road I enjoy regardless of what I'm riding...semi-curvy, tree-lined, and in generally good condition...Moccasin follows a little creek that sits some 8 or 10 feet below the road level...and today, as Dora and I were puttering along, I noticed several spots where one might ride down to the creek. So we did.

here's the "entrance ramp"

the view across the creek to some farmer's field...this looks like a regular crossing point for the tractors/farm equipment:

Dora, parked up along the creek:

So, once Dora and I got down to creek level, I noticed something I thought was very odd. There were cars down here. OLD cars...a bunch of them:

I counted at least 8, maybe as many as 10, 11 cars....hard to tell where one left off and another began in some cases, as several of them were rotted down to the frame and not much else. I'm no car expert, but I could tell that these were 50s and 60s era cars, though I couldn't identify any specific models...and they'd been there a LONG time, judging by the level of decay.

My mind was running rampant with all kinds of speculations as to why and how they got there: was there a flood that washed em all down there? was this some way to get rid of old junkers that was easier than hauling them to the scrapyard? were there dead bodies in the trunks? The possibilities were endless.

Anyway...after taking pics of the cars, I mounted Dora and we splashed down the creek for a half mile or so, scaring the daylights out of a doe that was getting a drink around the next curve, til we found another ramp up and out. I think I'll be heading back down there again one of these days to see just how far I can ride that creek...from what I've seen, I bet I can do a good 3 miles or more.

So, after our mystery creek adventure, Dora and I blatted back up Moccasin rd to go visit the in-laws. Father in law's family has lived in this area for several generations, so I thought I'd ask him if he knew what the deal was with the cars...and he did.

Turns out, back when he was a teenager (he was born in 47) they put those cars there to build up the bank on that side of the creek. He was like "wow, I haven't thought about that in 40 years or more." Was kinda cool to jog an old memory like that for him. So after helping move some picnic tables for tomorrows hog roast, I fired up Dora and we headed to the back 40 (probably more like 20, but that doesnt sound as good) where his grandsons (my nephews) had quite a bunch of quad trails through the hardwoods.

the boys aren't around to ride the trails every day, so they're starting to grow over

looking back the way I just came:

couple of glamor shots:

once you get through all the grown over stuff and get under the hardwoods, theres some fun, if short, trail action to be found

this one used to be real smooth and easy, now is rutted by the rains and so you have to take a little bit of care...still nothing major though

riding through this field, with the weeds and grasses pulling at my boots, reminded me of Flint Ridge somewhat...is that what they call a "flashback"?

finally, this creek crossing is an exit out of the back 40 to Ellis road...and I'm 95% sure its the same creek that I was in earlier, with the cars.

Next time I get down there, I'm gonna get in that creek near 180 (which is where I was today) and try to ride it all the way to here. That would be a cool feat, I think.

Gonna try to recruit BigOhio to join me. I bet it wont take much arm twisting.

Any of you other guys who live down that way ever ridden that creek?

whats the value of good gear?: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=49301
sion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 10:38 PM   #38085
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer: 14,158
Looks like a fun area.
2006 KLR650
2001 YZ426 (street Legal)
buildit is online now   Reply With Quote