ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2011, 07:27 AM   #38356
OhioPT
Adventure Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorman View Post

The trails were sweet. Been years since I got to ride a little bike on such nice trails. I usually ride to and from the trails on the 640 which is about as svelte as Opra, the 250 felt like a motorized mountain bike.
You need to get your 250 out to our trails at the property. 50 minute lap times for the AA enduro guys for the 12.5 mile single track loop.
OhioPT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 11:07 AM   #38357
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer: 13,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob748 View Post
does that mean you dont have me falling off the first rock on video
Oh no, I got you and your little theatric bow afterwards. Very classic
Old 07-18-2011, 11:47 AM   #38358
S2P
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 647
The caveman section looks like some of the trials sections I used to ride. I would try it with a trials bike,but I don't think I could pull the front wheel high enough on the 426 to even start. I rode a section like that,not as big rocks,on the last GNCC I raced on my Quad. It was easier after the first lap, but when I came to that section the first time, I thought what kind of sick MFer would put this in a race track.

WR 426
TTR 125
S2P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 12:25 PM   #38359
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,298
Alright, fuck this. I'm tired of missing these good dual sports and I'm tired of working like a dog every weekend (granted, a dog that lies around and does nothing, but a dog nonetheless).

Knobs on order for the WR. 1 - size smaller front sprocket on order. Firming up the suspension for my fat ass. Medical insurance updated. Sick leave request pre-formatted.

When's the next one?

Also, the rock garden shot was not the motivation for this.

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 12:40 PM   #38360
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 4,906
Quote:
Originally Posted by swingset View Post
[Indiana Jones] It ain't the years, it's the mileage [/Indiana Jones]

Even when I was younger I never really rode with any discipline or training, just jumped on in total ignorance and rode...never had the money or connections to learn offroad by anyone that knew what they were doing, so I never even tried anything that required trials skills, and my bike was utterly inappropriate for it. I paid for that naivete too, 25 years later I still have lingering shoulder stingers and knee issues from wrecking when I was a teenager.

From what I saw, most of that stuff was well above even the hardened riders abilities and I know I'd probably have broken either my bike or my freshly repaired lower back. I've seen you ride and I doubt you'd been killed or mamed on the 1st 2 sections or the bunny trail.

But I was the same way when I started riding, jumped in alone on a '79 XL125. 2 years later and 3 days after I had my own insurance, I entered the Bear Creek 100 and the only way I got a trophy was because I didn't give up and attrition moved me up the leader board.

After that it has been all downhill wasting dollar after dollar wearing out bikes. I did learn two things that people told me years ago, slow down to go fast (or practice it slow before trying it fast) and practice the most what you suck at the most. The last one ended up being the most fun I had over the years.

I took a year off from racing in '89 when I unloaded my 250EXC and FT500 and bought my Transalp the morning of my ACL replacement. I watched as many videos as I could during that time from guys like Bailey, Glover and others. After I was healed up I borrowed a bike and without any practice, entered a scamble and started on the back row. I kept reminding myself the video techniques and I actually rid myself of many bad habits. (many, not all ) In a race where I'd normally struggled to go fast, always out of control and totally exausted, I eased my way through the pack to a 2nd place finish and wasn't even remotely as tired. The next evening, I bought a new (used) 250 from Dirt Works.

I still enjoy attempting the hard way around or over obstacles, more to make sure I still can when the time arises!!

Unless their frail and weak, people are never too old to learn (not just riding), most people are just too damn stubborn. Many of my friends over the years only wanted to ride and never take time to practice anything. One dumped litterally thousands into a bike that he couldn't ride. Every week, last in the C class so he'd try to make it faster with cash. He quit to go drag racing, a sport where money rules!

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 12:41 PM   #38361
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildit View Post
That may have bee me

Old 07-18-2011, 12:43 PM   #38362
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioPT View Post
You need to get your 250 out to our trails at the property. 50 minute lap times for the AA enduro guys for the 12.5 mile single track loop.

Let me know when you're going back, I am hoping to get in a good ride this weekend, maybe ANF or WNF

Old 07-18-2011, 12:56 PM   #38363
swingset
Got the knack.

Oddometer: 10,755
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
When's the next one?
According to the AMA:

NEW STRAITSVILLE ENDURO RIDERS
Type: DUAL SPORT RIDE
Date: 09/03/2011 (2-day event)
BUCKEYE DUAL SPORTERS
Date: 09/24/2011
ENDURO RIDERS ASSOCIATION
Date: 10/08/2011 (2-day event)
ATHENS MOTORCYCLE CLUB
Date: 10/23/2011

swingset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 01:01 PM   #38364
OhioPT
Adventure Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,080
Quote:
Let me know when you're going back, I am hoping to get in a good ride this weekend, maybe ANF or WNF

Will do. I rode there last Sunday from my house on my Berg and the trails were in good shape. I might go this weekend, but it's awefully hot out to be riding less than 15 mpg average speed. It would be much cooler to ride ANF or WNF were you can at least generate a breeze. I still want to take my V-Strom to ANF for some trail riding this year. I'm interested to see if I have enough ground clearance for the one-way bike trail in Marienville.
OhioPT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 01:01 PM   #38365
Alacrity
Semi Pro Bar Vaulter

Oddometer: 468
Quote:
I stop to take the dudes picture, he blows by me on the gas and never looked back. I'm sure he'll just say something like "all you KTM riders look the same"

Met Alacrity and another Oh-Adv rider but his name slips my sun fried brain. I believe he has the 990 at the Swingset's BB2 last weekend.

It was cool for Swing and Gorman to let me eat their dust. I balled up on the first big downhill - had a yard-sale - and didn't see them until lunch.

Gormans right - the trails kicked ass - esp for Ohio (least the first half, had to bugout at lunch), - sooo in next year. I just won't bring a dual sport to a "dual sport" ride.

Eating lunch with Gorman taught me more about XR250s than I knew from everything prior - shoulda had lunch long ago. Maybe Blue aint my color - but neithers Orange...they DO look all alike. Must shop at the same place. Hell, I I caught this guy and followed him for a couple sections only to realize ... it wasnt Gorman. The fact I had caught and was hanging shoulda clued me in earlier

Didnt realize you were there Buildit - didnt see FHC either. Nice job on the Caveman section - I'll echo Swings thoughts on diminishing returns tho. I'm working more dead-lifts into my routine seeing the frequency I'm picking up my bike .

Need to do more of this shit - what's next? - Meh already answered

Alacrity screwed with this post 07-18-2011 at 01:17 PM
Alacrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 01:32 PM   #38366
miketv
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 332
Sorry I missed some of you folks, managed to catch Swingset @ the end of the Caveman section. I was standing in the sun sweating my nads off to give a check to the passing riders. If anyone happens to run across a Katoom EXC rider with the number 119 on his side number plate, please feel free to punt his jewels for me, what a jerk... Everyone else was super cool and a BIG THANKS to the ZTR crew for putting on a GREAT ride!

Swingset, wish ya could have been around for a really nice face plant from yours truly. Spaun rated it at only a 8.5, CHS was not impressed, I felt it was worth at least a 9, next time Swingset, can ya help a brutha out???? The talcum covered uphills were killin me, not something to try and poke up fer sure, hammer down was the werd. We made it to "lunch" around 1300hrs, I bugged out shortly there after. Next year I'm gonna chase Swingset around so I don't feel so bad
miketv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 02:46 PM   #38367
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

stationary video and photos from the caveman section.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxugJHqxJwE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3UaVeiucrU
Old 07-18-2011, 03:40 PM   #38368
rob748
resident alien !!!!

Oddometer: 824
lucky

Quote:
that wasn't me
rob748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 03:49 PM   #38369
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob748 View Post
that wasn't me
Sorry, it just looked so............ British. Darn KTM riders all in black and orange look alike after a while. If you gotten the Yamaha I could recognize you easier, Orange on Blue

buildit screwed with this post 07-18-2011 at 03:55 PM
buildit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 04:27 PM   #38370
Whitey1
"Whitebread"

Oddometer: 9,947
Quote:
Nice videos!

I noticeda few bikes looked to be running more of a trials tire on the rear. I assume they hook up better on the dry hard pack trail, but you would think they would suck ass on any loose mud.
Whitey1 is offline   Reply With Quote