ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2011, 10:56 AM   #38416
Mr. 0
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Flagger View Post
So 18,000 people are gonna pay $25-$125 for as many as 42 games a year just hoping to catch a fight? Not likely. You can go downtown at bar closing, spend a lot less money and see way more fights that you'd see at the hockey rink.

For more cost effective just to go: www.hockeyfights.com
No, it was a joke. Just like I don't really believe 100,000 people pay whatever the cost of a NASCAR ticket just to watch a crash. In reality though, at either event, there are going to be folks who have no idea what's really going on and don't care to know. I do see this at CBJ games. Folks getting up to get a beer when a great play is developing, constantly playing on their phones, chatting while completely ignoring the game, etc. but when there's a fight everyone goes ape shit.

Just to be clear I am a hockey fan. I started with the sport in the mid-90's covering Pens games for my college radio station. I've followed C'bus since their inception. Unfortunately with a losing product on the ice and the OSU fan mentality of "if they're not winning every single game, they're not worth rooting for" there just doesn't seem to be as many real hockey fans around here as there are in say Pgh, Chicago, Boston, or pick your choice of Canadian cities.

Heck look at Winnipeg. They sold something like 13000 season tickets in 4 minutes or something crazy like that when it was announced the Jets were coming back. So yeah, there are plenty of true hockey fans, just not so much in Columbus.

Edit to add: It is a tough sport to follow closely. It's not like baseball where there's plenty of time to figure out what's happening. You've got a bunch of big dudes skating around at 30mph with a bunch of uncommon rules (like icing, for example) and a tiny little puck. It's just difficult to really figure out, as a fan, unless you work at it, or have someone explaining everything as it happens. I think that turns a lot of folks off too.

Mr. 0 screwed with this post 07-20-2011 at 11:07 AM
Mr. 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 11:05 AM   #38417
rxcrider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitey1 View Post
I am going on a poker run tomorrow. Sigh. I have a buddy that I havent got to see in a while that will be riding an SV650 so I wont feel like a total tool, but I am not looking forward to all of the other pirates. I didnt like the "lifestyle" even when I had a harley and wouldnt ride poker runs. I hope to get some funny pics for you guys though. I am thinking of running to Walmart and look for a pirate costume with eye patch and see if anyone catches on.

this has all the makings of a bad kids show - "argh me whiteys"
Old 07-20-2011, 11:14 AM   #38418
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 5,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScienceOfDirt View Post
Speaking of traffic code... I got a ticket at an OVI checkpoint for no front license plate....
Last summer I was pulled over in traffic after making jokes with my passenger about doing something the police would frown on. My buddy said "that state tropper might not find it funny". It went over my head,(I never saw him) the next thing I knew I was being pulled over. I knew I wasn't speeding or doing anything wrong (yet). When he asked the why question I litterally played dumb, I had no clue. He said I was missing my front plate. I told him he was wrong, I have a plate, he argued, we went back and forth a half dozen times. He unclipped his pistol and walked backwards to the front of the truck. Took a quick peek then walked past the door giving it tap and a smile and said "have a nice day".

All my friends who were dumb enough not to listen to me when I tell them to put their plates on, all got fined. Is it really worth the time, money and the hassle?

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 11:19 AM   #38419
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer: 14,169
Quote:
I have no way of relocating it to the front. The car, an Audi, did not come with a front license plate mount. I just called. Per the Clerk of Courts: "The fine is $26, with court costs of $99. If I request a trial, the judge may impose a court cost of $134.99 at their discretion." I'm sending in a check, since it may end up costing me more even if the judge sides with me. Sounds like the county has found a way to pay for their OVI checkpoints so they can keep the state grant money.
I bet if you go to the dealer they have a bracket so you can become legal. I guess if you have enough $$$ for an Audi, $26 is chump change compared to the $300 a bracket might cost.
2006 KLR650
2001 YZ426 (street Legal)
buildit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 11:40 AM   #38420
'Flagger
..this space for rent..

Oddometer: 2,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. 0 View Post
In reality though, at either event, there are going to be folks who have no idea what's really going on and don't care to know. I do see this at CBJ games. Folks getting up to get a beer when a great play is developing, constantly playing on their phones, chatting while completely ignoring the game, etc. but when there's a fight everyone goes ape shit.
I'm with ya. Some of the crowd just doesn't quite get when to cheer and when to sit down and drink their beer.

But, the atmosphere in that building can be awesome .. we had seats in the lower bowl for Game 3. Unbelievable crowd. But many games are snoozers due to the product, on the ice and in the arena. Country music at hockey game? Really? And please stop pandering to the OSU crowd with Hang On Sloopy and other stunts .... the NHL was the best thing to happen for me ... (other than wife/marriage) .... stop reminding me that this is small minded college town most days.

Proud to be an inmate of AdvRider.
'Flagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 11:44 AM   #38421
'Flagger
..this space for rent..

Oddometer: 2,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by swingset View Post
I was being tongue in cheek. Hockey is ok as a sport, but every hockey fan I've ever spent any time around got verbally more excited about the ass kicking than the play of the game. Maybe I just have always known neandrathals over the course of my life (I lived next to the Civic Arena in Pittsburgh, Penguin fans and all that), but I've never known a baseball fan that counted the fights as the highlights of his viewing. Just sayin.
Most fights you'll find me in my seat, catching up on my beer consumption. But a clean legal hit that reminds someone to stop admiring their pass ..... oh yeah, I'm just as low brow as the next guy.

Proud to be an inmate of AdvRider.
'Flagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 12:27 PM   #38422
swingset
Got the knack.

Oddometer: 10,806
It does beg the question, why aren't there fights in lacrosse? It's hockey on grass....so I wanna see some body fucking checks!

Soccer would be 9,000,000 times better with some beatings.

I think we can all agree on that.

swingset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 12:49 PM   #38423
mic_detonator
ride

Oddometer: 794
Thanks whitey for taking the time to shoot the breeze and help me out.

Kinda hot to be riding though, wore me out in a NY minute.
mic_detonator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 12:53 PM   #38424
Whitey1
"Whitebread"

Oddometer: 10,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by mic_detonator View Post
Thanks whitey for taking the time to shoot the breeze and help me out.

Kinda hot to be riding though, wore me out in a NY minute.
Your welcome.

Just to clarify, he did not ride me. His motorcycle is now fixed.

Whitey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 12:57 PM   #38425
mic_detonator
ride

Oddometer: 794
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitey1 View Post
Your welcome.

Just to clarify, he did not ride me. His motorcycle is now fixed.

omg no hee-din't! i'm probably still going to tear into it and change that one odd bolt just to be certain that nothing will break off and ruin the transmission.
mic_detonator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 12:59 PM   #38426
Whitey1
"Whitebread"

Oddometer: 10,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by mic_detonator View Post
omg no hee-din't! i'm probably still going to tear into it and change that one odd bolt just to be certain that nothing will break off and ruin the transmission.
We used 3 strips of duct tape so it should be fine.

Whitey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 01:13 PM   #38427
SlipChip
Adventure Commuter

Oddometer: 3,309
Quote:
Anyone going to this? Anyone been to one to know if it's worth going? I've never been, but then again, I never owned a BMW before last year either. I can't imagine it's a pirate fest. If it wasn't 6 hours of sweating on slab to get there, I'd be inclined to go investigate for myself.
I am not a BMW owner and I have never been to one of their rallys but my brother and several of my freinds have and I hear the big rally is something you must do at least once. Bands, exhibitions, riding contests, comraderie (sp?), drinking! Whats not to like aside from it be the hottest wknd this year... The riding over there is even good, not like they were holding it in Lima or something.

“Discoveries are often made by not following instructions, by going off the main road, by trying the untried.” - Frank Tyger

"Life begins at the end of your comfort zone." - Neale Donald Walsch
SlipChip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 01:18 PM   #38428
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,726
SOD - Audi, the dealer more specifically, should install the bracket free of charge. It's a legal requirement. Which model.. TT?

As far as getting the ticket, that's interesting. I had to go back and read over the section. My definition, "front" is not hanging off your visor, because that is more "middle", or maybe "front third" of your car. "Front" is "front".

I see you are going to pay it anyway so I guess it's a moot point, but I doubt you'd win if you fought it. I do agree it's a cheesedick ticket though... had you speeding and that was his way of writing you an equipment ticket to cut you a break that's one thing, but to gank you just for that is BS.

Luke - only people I've heard seriously complaining about the front plate requirement is the state themselves, since they could save half the cost by discontinuing the front plate. I do not know a cop that would want it discontinued though; it is a great tool for LE.

MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 01:36 PM   #38429
gelandestrasse
Fidem Scit

Oddometer: 20,254
Quote:
Originally Posted by swingset View Post
Soccer would be 9,000,000 times better with some beatings.
It already has them.
Old 07-20-2011, 01:43 PM   #38430
ScienceOfDirt
U-Boat Rider

Oddometer: 1,724
Quote:
Originally Posted by gelandestrasse View Post
Are you are going to buy the front license plate mount, or are you going to risk another citation?
I think I'll just drive around the OVI checks from now on. I've been caught speeding in the car more times than I'd like to admit in the 7 years that I've had it, and the front plate never came up. I really do believe it's a money maker to help pay for the OVI check points.