ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2011, 07:10 AM   #38446
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,319
Driving drunk

Still Riff Raff
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 08:57 AM   #38447
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,271
Quote:
Originally Posted by rxcrider View Post
What does OVI stand for?
It's the updated legal abbreviation for what used to be DUI, them OMVI, now OVI. When the law was updated several years ago they changed it.

Operating Vehicle Intoxicated (under Influence)

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 09:10 AM   #38448
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer: 13,934
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
It's the updated legal abbreviation for what used to be DUI, them OMVI, now OVI.
or Our Vehicle's Impounded for short. Unless it's COPs on TV then it's just an Overly Vocal Idiot
Old 07-21-2011, 09:10 AM   #38449
MeanStreaker
KLR > Pee-wee's Bike

Oddometer: 511
OFCC can finally publish this threat to execute a citizen for doing nothing wrong.

Discuss:

Direct link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kassP7zI0qc

Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom.
MeanStreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 09:20 AM   #38450
SlipChip
Adventure Commuter

Oddometer: 3,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasthomas View Post
MGorman, Edhead and I along with another friend of Mikes are meeting at the IHOP at 21 and 30 for the jaunt over to vintage days tomorrow morning. Open invite if anyone cares to join us.
What time?

“Discoveries are often made by not following instructions, by going off the main road, by trying the untried.” - Frank Tyger

"Life begins at the end of your comfort zone." - Neale Donald Walsch
SlipChip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 09:41 AM   #38451
NCD
Dirty Hairy

Oddometer: 432
Free is good...

Anybody with an F800GS want a free Supertrapp exhaust? I guess they need a test fit bike, and once they finish producing them - you get yours for free. They are somewhere up here on the southwest side of Cleveland.

I'm not interested, but I figured maybe someone else here is?

PM me and I'll put you in touch with the guy you need to talk to.

I'm not affiliated with the company FYI. Just helping a buddy out.
NCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 10:10 AM   #38452
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlipChip View Post
What time?
8am

Still Riff Raff
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 10:55 AM   #38453
'Flagger
..this space for rent..

Oddometer: 2,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCD View Post
Anybody with an F800GS want a free Supertrapp exhaust? I guess they need a test fit bike, and once they finish producing them - you get yours for free. They are somewhere up here on the southwest side of Cleveland.

I'm not interested, but I figured maybe someone else here is?

PM me and I'll put you in touch with the guy you need to talk to.

I'm not affiliated with the company FYI. Just helping a buddy out.
Pm sent

Proud to be an inmate of AdvRider.
'Flagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 12:06 PM   #38454
SlipChip
Adventure Commuter

Oddometer: 3,063
Cry What time?

Quote:
8am
NM... working after all

“Discoveries are often made by not following instructions, by going off the main road, by trying the untried.” - Frank Tyger

"Life begins at the end of your comfort zone." - Neale Donald Walsch
SlipChip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 12:35 PM   #38455
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanStreaker View Post
OFCC can finally publish this threat to execute a citizen for doing nothing wrong.

Discuss:
First I'd watched that. I'd seen the thread over at OFCC but couldn't view the video at work, and I forgot to go back and view it later at home.

A few thoughts, in no particular order:

The officer making the majority of the statements is a dick. No doubt about it. I know guys like him, I hate being associated with guys like him, you can tell from his attitude and his appearance (black gloves from the onset of the stop, really?) that he thinks an awful lot of himself. I hate cops like that. They get other cops mired in shit because they are assholes.

Both those officers have shitty officer safety skills (Q: who searches a backseat with the driver still in the car? A: No one except that guy). I'm gonna guess that the realization that they had been poking around while a guy with a gun sat a foot away from them caused them to realize that their skills were lacking and lash out at him... truth is they are lucky he had a CCW and wanted to stay legal because if he was a scroat criminally packing, he could have shot both of them with very little effort had he wanted to.

The main officer's investigative skills are on par with those of my dick. Generally, when I ask a question, I listen to the answer, because, after all, I'm the one who asked. I try to not start interrupting after one or two words and screaming at the suspect.

It may not be relevant to the "failure to notify" deal, but I do have doubts about the driver / defendant's truthfulness - he was with a prostitute and some other guy who was lying about his identity, and in a shitty shithole part of town in the wee hours; it certainly would give me concern while dealing with the driver. But if I had that concern, I would have had him exit the car and I would have adressed it initially, not after 6 minutes of snooping around in his backseat.

My Smugmug Galleries
Old 07-21-2011, 12:54 PM   #38456
MeanStreaker
KLR > Pee-wee's Bike

Good thoughts, Meef. Obviously no one in the profession has to respond to this, but I'd be curious to hear if I'm crazy. My money on why the driver was still in the vehicle is so that the cops could do a warrantless search of any "lunge area" (under the back seat?) "for their safety" and anything they find would be admissible.

If they had him step out of the vehicle, they would've needed a warrant for a legal search.

If that's so, given the fact they immediately did that with no discussion or anything, it makes me think that is routine SOP, at least for those guys, if not for many more LEO. I can't believe how dangerous that is for them! Let alone an abuse of the Bill of Rights.

Second, I don't know what's more disgusting, the cop's brazen actions (he knew he was being taped), his partner's passive approval of the whole thing, or his department's repeated attempts over the past few weeks to stall, obfuscate, and cover up. Yeah, I know things have to go through their legal dept and Internal Affairs and such, but there isn't anything in that video to "investigate". That's what really chaps me. I'm extremely pro law enforcement, and thank the good cops everywhere for the dangerous job they do on society's behalf. But it seems like more bad apples are being found all the time... and the apples are getting worse.

Old 07-21-2011, 01:00 PM   #38457
MeanStreaker
KLR > Pee-wee's Bike

Plus the fact the victim still has the BS notify charge against him because the PD's lawyers have said they'll only drop it if he signs away any right to later sue the city.

Old 07-21-2011, 02:31 PM   #38458
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanStreaker View Post
Good thoughts, Meef. Obviously no one in the profession has to respond to this, but I'd be curious to hear if I'm crazy. My money on why the driver was still in the vehicle is so that the cops could do a warrantless search of any "lunge area" (under the back seat?) "for their safety" and anything they find would be admissible.

If they had him step out of the vehicle, they would've needed a warrant for a legal search.
No, the fourth amendment is pretty gray about a lot of stuff, and is subject to interpretation by multiple different courts.

Locally, and Canton is "local" as far as state appelate and federal court rulings go, a "lunge area search" can be conducted of any area that a driver has access to from the driving position. Thus, the rear seat would fall into that area - you could lunge from the driver's seat and grab a gun off the backseat. A search of the trunk would not be appropriate because he could not lunge into it from the driver's seat. But the driver does not have to be in the car in order for you to complete that search and common sense would dictate that if you are worried he might grab a gun from the lunge area you would want to seperate him from it immediately, not leave him with access to it.

Now, the question also comes into play, did they arrest the guy who was in the backseat (or was the other guy even in the backseat, I'm unclear?). because by arresting him, they can conduct a search of the area immediately adjacent to him, which would include the backseat.

Also, did they find drugs on the guy who was in the backseat, or concealed in the backseat? Towards the end of the video they make some radio traffic to dispatch about "found something something in the vehicle" which I took to be drugs. If they found contraband in the backseat then they just got carte blanch to search that whole car - specifically any place that the same type of contraband could be hidden in.

As far as a warrant goes, there are more issues with that since there is an automobile exception to the search warrant (due to the ease with wihich evidence can be removed from the scene or destroyed when in a car); but certain criteria have to be met and I highly doubt they were in this instance. Based on the level of cooperation of the driver I would bet he would have given consent to the officers had they asked anyway, so that may not even be an issue.

All in all it's a confusing process and there are a lot of variables involved in a decision to detain, search, etc.

I should have added in my initial response that the driver / CCW holder should have been more vocal - he should have been speaking loudly and repeating: "I am a permit holder, I am a permit holder, I am lawfully carrying a weapon", that would have eliminated the "fail to notify" charge right there.

My Smugmug Galleries
Old 07-21-2011, 04:08 PM   #38459
rob748
resident alien !!!!

Oddometer: 824
mid ohio

Quote:
MGorman, Edhead and I along with another friend of Mikes are meeting at the IHOP at 21 and 30 for the jaunt over to vintage days tomorrow morning. Open invite if anyone cares to join us.
just spent the day there at the KTM track Day, that was one warm day in the sun wearing black leathers, take plenty water, plenty people set up already
spent the day on this, one f..king sweet machine

rob748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 04:18 PM   #38460
vanaman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
I can understand the charge. he did fail to notify them.

Both of those officers should fired for this shit. If this is how the people we pay to protect us treat law abiding citzens, im all for anarchy.

When the Law threatens to kill you for something you could have done but didnt do, that just proves how worthless they are.

steve

p.s. im not a cop hater, but when the power goes to your head, your just as bad as any common criminal.
66 Honda s90
03 Suzuki ltz400
vanaman is offline   Reply With Quote