ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2011, 05:59 PM   #38506
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,321
I am working- 4g hookup on the iPod. We can ride wherever you want.

Still Riff Raff
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 06:35 PM   #38507
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 4,915
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlipChip View Post
Ooh, Ooh... I got it!

Honda Ascot!

Ooh, Ooh... You got it!

Had one back in the 80's but traded it and my 250EXC in for the Transalp. The bike came down to $500 and I figured there was more wrong than I was lead to believe but even so, if I have to dump $500 in it, I'll still be $500 ahead of buying a running unit.

btw, there were lots of sweet Elsinors out there but the prices were astronomical. The wife found about a dozen bikes she liked, the cheapest being $11,900.00!!

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 06:54 PM   #38508
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer: 13,940
Sorry if I sound harsh but isn't buying a bike at the VMD like buying a coke at a gas station. Yeah it will be good but you could go somewhere else and get the same thing for half the price. Like when I found a guy trying to sell a 88' KE100 rusted over for $800 and I said I had one that runs, isn't rusted and is an 82' I'd sell him for the same price. Obviously he didn't buy it but confirmed my suspicion that a lot of those guys are wouldn't even buy there own crap for the prices they ask.
Old 07-23-2011, 07:12 PM   #38509
Whitey1
"Whitebread"

Oddometer: 9,956
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildit View Post
Sorry if I sound harsh but isn't buying a bike at the VMD like buying a coke at a gas station. Yeah it will be good but you could go somewhere else and get the same thing for half the price. Like when I found a guy trying to sell a 88' KE100 rusted over for $800 and I said I had one that runs, isn't rusted and is an 82' I'd sell him for the same price. Obviously he didn't buy it but confirmed my suspicion that a lot of those guys are wouldn't even buy there own crap for the prices they ask.
You would think that since there is more vintage bikes together then at any other given time that it would help make the prices competitive. I am sure some people have huge price tags on items hoping to find someone buying with their heart and not their brains. However I bet you also find guys wanting to unload an old to them toy to help finance the next toy they just found.
Whitey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 07:46 PM   #38510
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,306
Quote:
I got my first bike, a '78 GS750E there, for $700, in 2001. The seller taught me how to ride a bike, to boot - I had never ridden before the day I decided to buy a motorcycle.

I put 24,000 miles on the bike that summer, and found a new passion that I still enjoy today.

I think I got my money's worth.

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 08:03 PM   #38511
chazz79
Super Noob

Oddometer: 22
This was the first VMD I've been able to attend in seven years. Every friggin' year vmd fell on my boy's birthday weekend. I think I'll be the only one not bitching because they broke the weekends up and rescheduled things. I was so used to not being able to go that I didn't even think about it this year.

Thanks for the ticket Mr. O- I had a great time and bought a bunch of crap I probobly didn't need . You might've seen me and my scabby nx650 putting around there.

I won't be able to attend tommorrow so if anyone needs a vmd ticket- I'll pass along some of Mr. O's goodwill.
chazz79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 08:04 PM   #38512
sion
sigh-own

Oddometer: 3,469
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
I got my first bike, a '78 GS750E there, for $700, in 2001. The seller taught me how to ride a bike, to boot - I had never ridden before the day I decided to buy a motorcycle.

I put 24,000 miles on the bike that summer, and found a new passion that I still enjoy today.

interesting story...what were you doing there in the first place?

whats the value of good gear?: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=49301
sion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 08:08 PM   #38513
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Quote:
Sorry if I sound harsh but isn't buying a bike at the VMD like buying a coke at a gas station.
I was originally there to find a SL,XL,XR,TL,CL 125,175,185,200 motor. I found nothing but I found one yahoo selling a '79 XL125 for $600 that had a china motor in it and beat to hell with no road legal parts left while next to him was a '82 XL175 that needed nothing for $850 and was a 7 out of 10

The bike came down in price to $500 and I figured there was more wrong than I was lead to believe but even so, if I have to dump $500 in it, I'll still be $500 ahead of buying a running unit. The next cheapest FT I have found has been $1500 though I did find a $600 that needed work also.

Old 07-23-2011, 08:10 PM   #38514
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazz79 View Post
I won't be able to attend tommorrow so if anyone needs a vmd ticket- I'll pass along some of Mr. O's goodwill.

BTW, same here, I have a Sunday ticket left also that was gifted to me by another advrider that won't be going back. Pick it up in Massillon

Old 07-23-2011, 08:42 PM   #38515
chazz79
Super Noob

Oddometer: 22
Forgot to add that too. Mansfield, oh..... @15 miles from the track text four 1 niner 589 four seven five 4
chazz79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 08:59 PM   #38516
Mr. 0
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by chazz79 View Post

Thanks for the ticket Mr. O- I had a great time and bought a bunch of crap I probobly didn't need . .

Ahhh, so that answers that question.. I was wondering this evening who exactly ended up with the ticket. I don't think you sent me your screen name in your texts, and I don't know many folks on here by their real names.

Not a problem at all, they were free to me, so I'm just glad the extra one didn't go to waste. I didn't realize until I got there this AM that they were full weekend tix, so hopefully someone takes it from you and can go tomorrow.
Mr. 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 09:20 PM   #38517
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post

Like anything else personal experiences will vary. I don't know if 4 years of attendance gives me the right to judge, but when has that ever stopped me?
Old 07-24-2011, 01:28 AM   #38518
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by sion View Post
interesting story...what were you doing there in the first place?
Working special duty for the sheriff's office.

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 05:40 AM   #38519
ohioroadrat
It`s YOUR fault !

Oddometer: 1,609
rusty gold

I have bought many items at Vintage Days over the years and thought that I always got a good deal.....like any good "Yard Sale" you have to know how to bargain to get what you want.

1946 Panther....$2500
1957 NSU scooter....$2000
1959 Tryumph Tigerus scooter.....$1000
50cc Indian......$300
and a whole lot of other M/C stuff that I have resold at a good profit.
Sure,some people ask too much but the next guy may ask too little...the trick is to know which is which....(just my 2 cents)
Old 07-24-2011, 05:51 AM   #38520
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioroadrat View Post
I have bought many items at Vintage Days over the years and thought that I always got a good deal.....like any good "Yard Sale" you have to know how to bargain to get what you want.

1946 Panther....$2500
1957 NSU scooter....$2000
1959 Tryumph Tigerus scooter.....$1000
50cc Indian......$300
and a whole lot of other M/C stuff that I have resold at a good profit.
Sure,some people ask too much but the next guy may ask too little...the trick is to know which is which....(just my 2 cents)
But Larry you could talk the Amish into buying electric motorcycles.