ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2011, 05:04 AM   #38536
swingset
Got the knack.

Oddometer: 10,753
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildit View Post
Our first stop was an old favorite, Albright rd. The Amish people who buildt the house at the start of the trail used to allow people to go passed their home in the creek to the unmaintained road. That no longer appears to be the case as he has a bobcat loader and has put a gate acrossed the road on the far side of his yard.
Is that the trail with the long, rocky hill on it and the Amish place at the bottom? That sucks if so, one of the funnest roads/trails down in that area.

In Licking Co. we've lost access to 3 of the best little trail areas that were open for years and years recently, gates and signs on all of them.

Dual sporting is getting less and less "dual".

swingset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 08:34 AM   #38537
ohioroadrat
It`s YOUR fault !

Oddometer: 1,607
Albright Road

Luke...Albright Road is still useable.The part that you are talking about was really a temperary right of way on that land. The real road goes a follows...when you reach the creek,turn left in the creek,go appx. 75yards and turn right out of the creek and the road will take you to the other side of the gate. This is the course of the original road and is still OK to use.Ride slow as to not bother the new land owner but that is a road(not the part that we used to use,that is his now)
Old 07-25-2011, 08:40 AM   #38538
QUICKDRAW
Bug Murderer

Oddometer: 1,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by swingset View Post
Is that the trail with the long, rocky hill on it and the Amish place at the bottom? That sucks if so, one of the funnest roads/trails down in that area.
Sounds right. You turn left off of 327 from Tar Hallow State Park onto a gravel road that crosses a small creek. You used to follow that gravel road less than a mile then veer off to the right as the gravel turned to the left. The trail was nicely rutted and rocky, and took you to the top of a hill to several trail system options.

The last time I was there, the Amish dad and his two sons came out as we were latching back up their fence (once we went through it). We spoke to him about this actually being a road, to which he pointed to the creek. OK... we'll ride the creek around the fence next time! Sounds like he got aggressive with the fencing since then.

-S
QUICKDRAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 09:17 AM   #38539
ohioroadrat
It`s YOUR fault !

Oddometer: 1,607
Quote:
Originally Posted by QUICKDRAW View Post
Sounds right. You turn left off of 327 from Tar Hallow State Park onto a gravel road that crosses a small creek. You used to follow that gravel road less than a mile then veer off to the right as the gravel turned to the left. The trail was nicely rutted and rocky, and took you to the top of a hill to several trail system options.

The last time I was there, the Amish dad and his two sons came out as we were latching back up their fence (once we went through it). We spoke to him about this actually being a road, to which he pointed to the creek. OK... we'll ride the creek around the fence next time! Sounds like he got aggressive with the fencing since then.

-S
Yea,I told him all he need to do was to put a small sign at the creek but looks like he didn`t....must be an Amish thing.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:19 AM   #38540
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer: 13,934
Quote:
Originally Posted by QUICKDRAW View Post

-S
You all are talking about the same place. Lord knows how many times we've stopped and talked with them about right of way and what we can do to make sure the access stayed open. We were going to try riding the trail from the other direction to make sure we weren't missing a go around path but after the nail in my tire we didn't have time. I came out of the creek bed due to gravel that had been piled along it, either by Bobcat or by storm water run off, but was still not passed the fence.
I'll try coming at it from the other side next time I'm down there. But it did seem odd for an Amish house to have a buggy and a Bobcat loader parked there.
Old 07-25-2011, 10:00 AM   #38541
QUICKDRAW
Bug Murderer

Oddometer: 1,154
Back from the GS Challenge event at the BMWMOA

Larry and I met another 48 guys and gals in Eastern PA last Tuesday for a trail ride in the rock garden they call Pennsylvania. It was put on in conjuction with an aftermarket accessory company called AltRider and a local PA ORV trail association. The basic route was winding gravel roads through the mountains with 4 optional trail sections that looped back to the standard route. They had the route arrowed, catered a nice lunch, and had professional videographers follow the different sub groups. It was allot of fun, so my hats off to AltRider for keeping this annual event alive.

Later in the week was the GS Challenge event. This also is now a staple of the BMWMOA National Rally. They set up an endurocross track, geared toward the heavy dual sport bikes. All bikes are welcome, so they have three bike classes. Under 300 lbs, 300 - 500 lbs, and over 500lbs. The track consists of 10 obstacles, worth 5 points each. Points get deducted for foot dabs, stopping the bike, dropping the bike, or going off course. There are three difficulty levels to the course. Intermediate, Advanced, and Expert.... you must choose one of these levels before you enter the course.

It was a great time, and I met a bunch of other people who don't mind running the piss out of their rather pricey "dirt bikes"

A few of the obstacles:

The worst part for me was talking to the TV announcer...

Water - expert course made you weave around three of those plastic barriers.

Rocks - expert course had you make a turn on these slick, loose river rocks.

Mud Pit - 100' of slimy ruts (I am just about to dab here)

Dirt Wall - Hard angle, up a few feet onto a 10" wide path.

The Rut - I thought this was going to be the hardest for me. Riding down in the middle of two drain tile for about 15' after a sharp slow right hander. The "head-up" technique worked for me here.

The Woops - The expert route had a log on the way down and a log on the way up.

The Logs - Easiest one, after the tight turn

The Sand - Deep as shit, rutted up bad by the time I was on it, the expert route had you go the whole distance and make a turn to get through the end cones. I dropped it in between the cones.

The hill - more of a breaking control exercise... you had to exit to the right between the barricade and the cone.

I had a blast and recommend it to everyone! Thanks to fotopat for posting some photos. Your camera work is sightly better

BTW - HolyCaveman, I need to talk to you about two KLR guys I met.

-Shawn
QUICKDRAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 10:22 AM   #38542
ScienceOfDirt
U-Boat Rider

Oddometer: 1,665
Looks like I missed a really nice time. Here's hoping next year's schedule won't rule it out.
Old 07-25-2011, 10:39 AM   #38543
swingset
Got the knack.

That looks awesome Shawn, nice going! I'd love to try that on a big bike.

Old 07-25-2011, 10:41 AM   #38544
z@ch
Turn it up to eleven

Oddometer: 4,642
Quote:
That looks awesome Shawn, nice going! I'd love to try that on a big bike.
If only you knew somebody with the space to build something like that...
z@ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 11:18 AM   #38545
swingset
Got the knack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by z@ch View Post
If only you knew somebody with the space to build something like that...
Tempting, except the guinea pig would be me, on my Strom, which would be bad for me and my Strom.

It's probably the same thought process that's kept me from opening a whorehouse, or a grow operation.

Speaking of trails, I'll have to host a "come to Craig's place and beat down the trails" weekend soon....hopefully when it's not 152 degrees in the shade. I'm going to carve some new single track.

Old 07-25-2011, 11:42 AM   #38546
z@ch
Turn it up to eleven

Oddometer: 4,642
Quote:
Speaking of trails, I'll have to host a "come to Craig's place and beat down the trails" weekend soon....hopefully when it's not 152 degrees in the shade. I'm going to carve some new single track.
z@ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 12:27 PM   #38547
sion
sigh-own

Oddometer: 3,467
Quote:

I'd be up for that.

meanwhile, in about an hour, I'm headed up to Westerville on the Magna to take my daughter her cousins and would be up for meeting any columbus area inmates on the way back...figure 6-ish. text me at the number in my signature, especially if you know of a really good bbq joint where we could meet

whats the value of good gear?: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=49301
sion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 12:40 PM   #38548
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkster View Post
Love that last pic
Yeah the last pic is badass! Looks like he is fleeing the man!

Edit... and I'm a day late, so I was referring to Denny's shots.

Shawn, looks like a great time. What class were you? Not expert, it sounds like?

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 12:50 PM   #38549
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer: 13,934
As good as Shawn is they should have made him do it with Larry on the back.
Old 07-25-2011, 01:22 PM   #38550
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 4,897
Quote:
Tempting, except the guinea pig would be me, on my Strom, which would be bad for me and my Strom.

Have pig, can travel...

Quote:

I'm itching to get out on an all day ride, been too long. Thinking about heading south early this Saturday if anyone wants to cruise around Wayne

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote